Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Rare item functionality

the rarity system reminds me more of dwarf fortress, I'm not sure how you guys are getting WoW and Blizzard out of this...    As no blizzard game I know can you craft the same item with different levels of completion.  They have separate items that are "rare" marked.  Yes.  There's the rare title.  That's it, however...    This system of "rare" items is a cheap and easy way to create a lot of content very easily, and the majority of the player base seems to enjoy it. 

On a real note,  would make sense to cater to the larger crowd (diablo 3 is about to launch, how about trying to get some of them to come over here when they get bored?)

However, the only reason people refer to WoW and Blizzard... is some sort of psychological fear of those games.  Fear of spiders, fear of Wow-like creations next? ;)  They become very avid about expressing nothing "Wow-like". 

Perhaps we should write a paper on it and report it to the journal of science! lmao

the rarity system reminds me more of dwarf fortress, I'm not sure how you guys are getting WoW and Blizzard out of this...    As no blizzard game I know can you craft the same item with different levels of completion.

Diablo 3

the rarity system reminds me more of dwarf fortress, I'm not sure how you guys are getting WoW and Blizzard out of this...    As no blizzard game I know can you craft the same item with different levels of completion.

Diablo 3

Woot! :D

Was bored while smithing so I sorted through the thread and compiled a list of all the simpler suggestions for you Rolf.

General

• Items improve faster
  • Take less damage upon repairing
  • Chance to add the occasional extra quality level.

• Fantastic items should have their name permanently imprinted on them. So instead of "hammer, iron" its name would be whatever the creator wants it to be and remove both the material and tool name from the name.

• Prefixes that tells what the rareness does? Like "a rare sturdy hammer", "a fantastic yielding shovel", "a rare fast small cart" etc. If you want to make it even more diverse, add different kinds of possible traits to the same item type also.

• All items get 1.5 * default price.

• All rare tools, armor and weapons have significantly reduced decay, damage sustained and enchant decay (the unpredicted yet very favorable material structure makes the item sturdier?). Level determines reduction factor.

General Tools:

• Higher base QL when crafting items
  • Less QL spread when crafting items

Sacrificing rare items:

• Another usage of rare items could be to make them useful in the in-game religions through sacrificing somehow.

Seeds

• Rare seeds giving faster growth times and larger yields. (Rare fields)
  • Chance to turn the tile into a rare tile where anything planted on it turns into a rare thing (Rare field, tree, grape bush etc)

Toolbelts

• Get an extra slot.

Yoyos and Dolls

• Succeed more.

Trees

Containers

• Increased volume
  • Decay slower
  • Rare containers should be a lot harder to break into
  • Bulk bins destroy less then %5 of items per month

Locks

• Rare locks could damage the lockpicker while picking the lock

Carts

• Move faster
  • Can be dragged with less strength requirement

Meditation rugs

• More mediation skill given per a session

Beverages

• Give more stamina back
  • Wine Ages faster

Altars

• Give positive rewards more often
  • Increase the faith given for sermons and daily faith-prayer

Forges

• Heat up faster
  • Slower cool down/Burns longer
  • Illuminate the room and area by a lot more than a normal forge
  • Take less fuel and make sure this stacks with other bonuses like birch wood
  • Chance of melting ore into 2 lumps
  • Chance of melting ore into a higher ql lump

Weapons

• Slows damage on the weapon

Beds

• Faster gained sleep bonus

Signs

• Have more letters available

Shovel

• Sometimes digs two dirt at once

Pickaxe

• A rare mining pick last for a lifetime
  • Sometimes digs twice at once

Well

• You can fish in it

Torches

• Lamps/torches are brighter

Horseshoes

• Rare horseshoes increase their speed further

Lockpicks

• Lockpicks are 75% less likely to break

Butchering Knife

• Produce more hides/meat
  • Higher QL butcherings

Fishing pole

• Better chance to catch a heavy fish (catfish, crap, ect.)
  • [Rare] Fine Fishing Rod = 50% more chance of catching a fish in the first 45 seconds
  • [supreme] Fine Fishing Rod = 50% more chance of catching a fish in the first 45 seconds + 25% more chance of catching a large normal fish
  • [Fantastic] Fine Fishing Rod = Unbreakable + 10% more chance of catching a special fish (on a special fish spot offcourse)

Arrows

• Hit harder and miss less

Bows

• Hit harder and miss less

Raw materials

• Faster associated timers

Bowstrings

• Break less

Food

• Food gives more nutrition
  • Decays slower
  • 50% increased skillgain for 10 minutes
  • 10% increased movement speed

Gems

• Gems can store 50% extra favor per level
  • A rare gem is powered once and used up

Catapults

• Catapults do more damage

Ships

• Ships are harder to lockpick into
  • Faster

Lamp posts and other light sources

• Illuminate more tiles

Healing items

• Heal more
  • Use less material when healing

Rope

• Chance of turning a boat into a rare boat

Mine doors

• Receive a certain strength bonus on top of the strength they receive from QL
  • Harder to bash down
  • Decay Slower
  • Fantastic ones never decay fully

Decorational items

• These should have a decorational effect depending on their rarity. An option would be making rare decorational items such as flags, kingdom banners, collossus and statue increase in size. They are made to decorate an area, and rarity would be a good way to introduce more variety. Another option is a small amount of glow, a thin silver layer that lights up the area
  • Not sure what could be done to make rare furniture (tables, chairs) different from their normal version. Perhaps a subtle glow field at their base, so they only light up the floor slightly. Another option would be to have small vines or flowers climbing up the rare furniture. This would make more work for the art department though
  • Glimmer effect
  • Funiture/decorations could be more ornate looking

Animals

• Rare player-bred animals get the "Spark in its eye" trait automatically -- trait is already coded by you from a year ago  I think just no longer appears on animals anymore

• Like 1

As some more General enhancements:

- the item takes less dye to paint

- increases dye ql used on it

- the item has a chance of not using up resources used to imp/repair it, only works for resources less than the item's rarity level

Better chance to catch a heavy fish (catfish, crap, ect.)

Everything but catfish is crap!

As the new owner of a rare cog, I'd like them to move faster or have a larger cargohold (couple extra raft's worth). The lockpick thing is useless for non-pvp servers.

for rare puppets

- name the puppet the same as a player, cannot be renamed.

- stick needle in puppet, named player gets a "sharp pain" message

- slap puppet and the emote is felt by the recipient

- put puppet in forge, player gets lots of hot/burning messages as the puppet goes up in flames.....

- other things to disturb the target player.

• Like 1

Agree, "harder to lockpick" should be the unique property of a RARE LOCK

[21:12:56] You fail to pick the lock and fire is sprayed out from the lock!

What is a good rare capability to one person in one situation is completely different to another person in a different situation.  Which person is right, and which is wrong?  At that point, with the current system, you have to play favourites.  If rares had different abilities, then each person could create or purchase the rare ability that best suited him or her.

Obvious things:

Rare cotton heals larger wounds. Rare mortar makes higher quality walls. Rare bow strings don't break easily.

Was bored while smithing so I sorted through the thread and compiled a list of all the simpler suggestions for you Rolf.

Summary:

"Lots of work and effort to make this thread better for all"

End quote

rare weapons should simply be easier to cast on, please dont give them properties such as faster swing more damage etc... Just makes one more requirement to contend in pvp...

• Like 1

Support beams = support the tiles left and right from the cave wall you are targetting (and the initial cave wall to offcourse XD)

God statuettes should improve casting.

Note: Yesterdays patch did not adjust get price for them so guess nothing have been implemented yet.

Rare shields please!

Either minimum damage should be decreased by 0,01 or give them a slightly better block rate.

Or maybe 1s faster shield bash?

Rare shields please!

Either minimum damage should be decreased by 0,01 or give them a slightly better block rate.

Or maybe 1s faster shield bash?

Rolf

Items that have functionality is

Weapons have a higher chance of dealing crits, armour block more and protect better, guard towers spawn more guards, tools are faster.

I think shields are already in under armor and block more.

Question, are rare tools skillgain increased in-line with the speed increase?

After playing many years i know that WoA tools provide less skillgain per action. Because of this as an experienced player trying to maximise my skill i don't use WoA tools unless it is for project digging or mining.

Would there be a method of removing rare functionality from tools if it only increases speed? Speed increases usually gimp skillgain per action and i persoanlly don't want the possibility of nerfing my skilling tools (some people pay extorionates for 90+coc tools) because they need to get a improvement touch-up.

All other features seem fairly good.