Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Rare item functionality

I have noticed that, as my character's stats get higher that I am less able to create rare items, or improve something to rare or above.

My character is an 87+ skilled weapon smith, so I/m guessing that this function is geared towards newer premium accounts, which is all well and good, but not so good for anyone with over 200 days' playing time.

I have noticed that, as my character's stats get higher that I am less able to create rare items, or improve something to rare or above.

My character is an 87+ skilled weapon smith, so I/m guessing that this function is geared towards newer premium accounts, which is all well and good, but not so good for anyone with over 200 days' playing time.

Agree, if that is true, its not very fair.

My statistics:

1 weapon turned rare around 77 to 79 ws and one butcher knife 1 out of 40 up to ql70+ (I dont count it as a weapon).

Not one single blacksmith tool 98+ skill. I gained about 1 skill since rare change....

I have smithed a lot during summer.

Hmmm, don't think I've seen any Fantastic items yet.

How about creators can permanently rename fantastic items?

e.g. instead of fantastic longsword (Musamune), it'll be Masamune and it'll stay that way until it's destroyed.

I have some more anecdotal evidence to support this. The only rare item I have create has been an iron file. At the time I had around 55 blacksmithing. The other three skills I have been using in this time frame have been leatherworking (98) cloth tailoring (86) and carpentry (87). I have used each of these skills individually at least twice as much than my blacksmithing, but have not created a single rare toolbelt, rug, spindle or anything else.

Edited by Wort

I've gone 20+ hours of blacksmithing without even getting a drum roll. But pick one sprout from a bush and I get successful rare.

Wurm is becoming a game where your reward for gaining better skill is more failure.

So far today.... 6 hours of blacksmithing.. not even a drum roll.

:(

I'm yet to make a fantastic or supreme item.

Almost 40,000 Improve actions and i've gotten all rares. Dug atleast 15k dirt and all rares, mined atleast 2000 shards and ore and all rares..

I agree with Gumbo.

Edited by Rudie

There wouldn't be much RARE about an item if you had one for each 6 hours of smithing/crafting....

Rare resources are much more common which is okay since they aren't useful for much but sacrificing for refresh.

Supreme or fantastic items should maybe appear once a year for those that play 24/7.

Only ever heard of two fantastic items, a brick in this thread and a ribbon at a secret rare item testing facility at an unknown location. :)

Anyone else know of any?

There wouldn't be much RARE about an item if you had one for each 6 hours of smithing/crafting....

Rare resources are much more common which is okay since they aren't useful for much but sacrificing for refresh.

Supreme or fantastic items should maybe appear once a year for those that play 24/7.

I'm not getting drum rolls while smithing. The chance to get a Rare item is already supposed to be slim.. but to not even get drum rolls.. something is wrong

Only have ever made one supreme item... a LS, was not mine tho, was an imp for someone else.

And just for the record... Rare is only a name. Rare items could quite easily have been called a Level 2 item... Supreme a Level 3 item... etc.

Considering the names Rare, Supreme, and Fantastic don't seem to even be in a proper order (that I would have put them in), it doesn't put much weight behind each of the names. If anything, I think I would have put Fantastic before Rare, then Supreme.

Edited by Gumbo

I've only seen fantastic dirt, good skill gain for saccing. As far as rares, maybe some people are just prone to them? We have more rares coming out of our village smithy than I can count. Countless needles, lanterns, carving knives, horseshoes and that's just the metal. Rare ropetool, cheese drill, fruit press. Maybe it's more about persistence than anything, refusing to stop until you get what you want. Because if you want it bad enough, you'll keep going until you get it

I made a supreme forge the other day, have yet to test it properly to see what its capable of

These *rares* remind me of Ultima Online. When they first instituted *rare* items there, if you came up with any you could sell them for a lot of gold the first week, after 2 weeks they would sell for half that price, after one month maybe one-10th of the price. Since *rare* items are a new thing in Wurm there is a lot of *hype* surrounding them and buyers are influenced by that. Good for those who sell *rare* items I suppose but to me the minimal *hyped* up benifits they provide are not worth an increase in the selling price, especially the inflated figures that people are selling them for. Of course if I made any *rare* item that was in demand, I would surely sell it for the going rate and use the coins for something else in game that I felt was worthwhile to purchase, just as I did in UO. *Buyer beware* is a fitting saying in regards to these *rares*.

=Ayes=

What I would like to happen with Rares:

1. A flat chance to make rare per every action. I don't understand this nonsense with hidden cooldowns and what not. It should be more skill based tho, less chance on low skills, more on high.
  2. A way to USE rare materials. If I get rare lump, I'd expect to make something rare out of it, but nothing ever happens. Maybe there is a chance there? But if it is, it's like at least 2 factors too low. Improving with them should always be possible, even if they are lower quality (seriously ql 1 supreme log??)
  3. A way to keep working on item to turn it rare, even if it's quality is above materials. This beats bashing them, especially when we talking boats or ships.
  4. Containers should have a bonus useful on freedom for example lowered decay of contents
  5. That drum sound should stop playing when there is nothing happening. Also I think it's linked to music option, which it shouldn't.

Also I feel supreme should have more profound bonus than rares and be even more rare than they are currently.

• Like 1

What I would like to happen with Rares:

1. A flat chance to make rare per every action. I don't understand this nonsense with hidden cooldowns and what not. It should be more skill based tho, less chance on low skills, more on high.
  2. A way to USE rare materials. If I get rare lump, I'd expect to make something rare out of it, but nothing ever happens. Maybe there is a chance there? But if it is, it's like at least 2 factors too low. Improving with them should always be possible, even if they are lower quality (seriously ql 1 supreme log??)
  3. A way to keep working on item to turn it rare, even if it's quality is above materials. This beats bashing them, especially when we talking boats or ships.

Yes, rare raw resources need more use then something we sac for a "refresh" like effect. I wanted to see a rare material create the 50% chance when you use it to make an item. We would need to scale down that 50% for constructions that have multiple components. For something like a grind stone where you crate a finished product from one shard it would be a 50% to create a rare grind stone from a rare rock shard. For a guard tower it be a lot lower chance per a rare item added, but over all if you use all rare items you would average around a 50%. Part of me wants a 100% chance for the tower if you use all rare parts for something so complex as a guard tower but that opinion might be too extreme for folks to agree with. I'm undecided if creating with rare resources should use up the whole resource. An example is using the whole 1 kg lump for a chance to create one rare needle.

I'd like a way to turn off rare creation. I don't want my skill training tools going rare.

It helps new players to be able to make something of value for vets. It makes sense if high skill creates higher ql things like rares, but I don't think that realism helps the game.

i get rares sometimes when mining... 1 rare shard every 10k plus actions, but have never heard the rare drum roll.... where is the sound stored so i can hear it.

also i've notice (from my own observations) that the better i get at a skill the less rares i get.

sure im performing a small necro, but where else would i put it.

Rather than just "More" of the same effect or attribute - why not allow Rare items to bring about 'until now unknown spells/enhancements/enchantments'

A rare, supreme or fantastic 'frying pan' in the hands of someone with high Hot Cooking skill could ... hear me out ... Increase Player SPEED, or some other logical attribute based on having just eaten a meal created in a RARE item

So I guess what I mean is - Rare items YIELD rare results - and otherwise unlockable traits or attributes that are on timers and only last as enhancements for a short time - a boost to an attribute that then fades

I saw an idea like this in another topic:

Make it so that the items (tools/armor/weapons/shields) get sockets (this replaces the bonusses that these items get at the moment).

Rare item: 1 socket

Supreme item: 2 sockets

Fantastic item: 3 sockets

You can put gems into these sockets, each gem would give a different bonus and their ql determines how big this bonus is (rare gems like star gems could give a higher maximum bonus at ql 100). Multiple gems of the same type don't stack, instead the best one applies and the others don't do a thing. This is to encourage mixing up different gems so the item gives small bonusses to multiple things instead of one big bonus to for example weapon damage or timer reduction or skill gain.

I think sockets would work better than using static bonusses for these items, since this way people can customize their own items the way they like them.

Priests don't come into the picture in this idea, so crafters just need gems to finish these items, no enchanting necessary.

Here's a list of example bonusses, these might not all work and I ran out of ideas for the last gem. Please add more ideas for bonusses if you have them, if there's enough then maybe even the star gems could get their own bonusses instead of them having slightly better bonusses than their normal counterparts. I didn't have to much time to write it all down so it's mostly just basic types of bonusses that other things, like enchants, also give. Maybe others could think of some more unique bonusses, I unfortunatly don't currently have the time for it :(

• Diamond
    • Tools: Decrease damage taken upon use
    • Weapons: Decrease damage taken upon use
    • Armor: Decrease damage taken upon use
    • Shields: Decrease damage taken upon use

[*]Emerald

• Tools: They are faster
    • Weapons: Increased chance of critical hits
    • Armor: Blocks more
    • Shields: Blocks more

[*]Opal

• Tools: Increased skill gain
    • Weapons: Increased skill gain
    • Armor: Increased resistance against magic
    • Shields: Increased skill gain

[*]Ruby

• Tools: Reduces stamina cost when using it
    • Weapons: Increases damage done
    • Armor: Increased damage prevention (absorbtion?)
    • Shields: Increased shield bash chance

[*]Sapphire

• Tools: Decreases decay of enchants on the item (I was out of ideas at this point and couldn't think of anything besides this)
    • Weapons: Decreases decay of enchants on the item
    • Armor: Decreases decay of enchants on the item
    • Shields: Decreases decay of enchants on the item

Another idea I thought of with sockets would be to assign special bonusses to combinations.

So if you have 1 gem then the bonusses from above apply, but any possible combination would give another bonus.

So Ruby + Emerald would give a unique bonus instead of adding the emerald and ruby bonusses together. Ruby + Ruby would do something unique too, same for any other combination. Of course the total amount of combinations with these 5 gems would be a bit high. Five for 1 socket, 15 for 2 sockets and something like 21 for 3 sockets?

That's 41 different bonusses for each group, and I had trouble thinking of five, so I guess that might not work or would be very hard to do.

^

This would be awesome. :'3

The idea is not so bad, but: not Blizzard here.

If anything in Wurm , sockets should be made by a jewel smith, not by turning the item rare.

Then to get any power gems need to be vesseled by priests.

If anything in Wurm , sockets should be made by a jewel smith, not by turning the item rare.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally love the idea and system, but feels too Diabloesque for me.

Priest have enough money flowing into his pockets by enchants rigth now, don´t need any more, but jewelcrafters can get some love.

+1 to jewelcrafters

-9 to give more money to priest.

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally love the idea and system, but feels too Diabloesque for me.

Well, how about the same system but without the gems?

Instead of putting gems in sockets, you get an extra Improve menu with the appropriate tool selected. There you select to "refine" the item to recieve the bonus of your choice.

for example..

a Rare rope tool.

Select the carving knife and select [Refine] -> [improve speed], [improve skillgain], [improve resilience], etc

This way, Rolf wont have to code many special pre-determined properties for every single item in the game and players can just choose what they want the item to get better at.

...and if the items rare status is fairly pointless (like for Dirt), keep the ability to sacc it for 99% nutrition.

Edited by einnel