Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Rare item functionality

It's possible that there is a thread already somewhere but I want to start my own.

Post suggestions for rare, supreme and fantastic item functionality here, and preferrably merge with the other thread.

Thanks,

Rolf

Items that have functionality is

Weapons have a higher chance of dealing crits, armour block more and protect better, guard towers spawn more guards, tools are faster.

Edit: When improving with a rare combinable item, a log or leather, the item may transfer its rarity if it is used up. Very seldom but it may happen.

Maybe items improve faster or take a lot less damage upon repair for all items.

carts move faster

altars give positive rewards more often

forges heat up faster

containers and other non-functional items (ex: tables, statues, etc) decay slower

lamps/torches are brighter

food gives more nutrition

gems can store 50% extra favor per level. (yes, this means a 100 ql fantastic star gem can store crazy ammount of favor... if a miracle occur and you find one, consider it an artifact)

Catapults do more damage

Ships are harder to lockpick into

cotton/farmers salve/healing covers heal more

Lockpicks are 75% less likely to break.

• Like 4

carts move faster

forges heat up faster

containers and other non-functional items (ex: tables, statues, etc) decay slower

gems can store 50% extra favor per level. (yes, this means a 100 ql fantastic star gem can store crazy ammount of favor... if a miracle occur and you find one, consider it an artifact)

Catapults do more damage

If we absolutely have to suffer this rare stuff, these all seems like sensible suggestions.

Given that most of us play on the pve servers, I'd really prefer if ships got the move faster tweak just like carts.

Meditation rugs I guess can trigger questions easier?

• Like 1

carts move faster

forges heat up faster

Catapults do more damage

If we absolutely have to suffer this rare stuff, these all seems like sensible suggestions.

I don't know about all of those and those in %'s,  Keep them with the small increases seen in the other items.  You forgot Locks are harder to pick, Walls are harder to break, Shields block more (Armor block more may cover shields though.), Horse shoes, etc... if we are going to do every single thing and item. Personally K.I.S.S. would be the best way to handle this rather than getting too complicated with items and giving different items more special powers than others. 

Given that most of us play on the pve servers, I'd really prefer if ships got the move faster tweak just like carts.

yea... but for us pvpers this means that everyone is gonna be forced to imp their boats untill they become fantastic, hence it would be the most horrible update ever.

yea... but for us pvpers this means that everyone is gonna be forced to imp their boats untill they become fantastic, hence it would be the most horrible update ever.

You can put a rare boat lock on for harder to pick. Would an extra .50 kh faster speed really "break" pvp? (Maybe it would, I don't pvp...)

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of rare plants and trees, great suggestion. All of Zekezor's suggestions seem like a good idea to me as well.

Rare decorational items:

These should have a decorational effect depending on their rarity. An option would be making rare decorational items such as flags, kingdom banners, collossus and statue increase in size. They are made to decorate an area, and rarity would be a good way to introduce more variety. Another option is a small amount of glow, a thin silver layer that lights up the area.

Not sure what could be done to make rare furniture (tables, chairs) different from their normal version. Perhaps a subtle glow field at their base, so they only light up the floor slightly. Another option would be to have small vines or flowers climbing up the rare furniture. This would make more work for the art department though.

Rare tools:

A rare forge (or torch/campfire) should illuminate the room and area by a lot more than a normal forge. This would be a simple effect on top of benefits like faster heating time and a slower cooldown.

Reducing action timers by 0.1 for rare tools is a bit easy (not to mention hard to notice for most players). I don't think they should be a lot faster, perhaps a percentage increase would be better. 5%, 10% and 15% faster than normal, perhaps. Rare hammers, pelts, water(?), chisels, et cetera all the tools that are used in improving could have a small chance to add the occasional extra quality level.

Rare horseshoes increase their speed further.

Fantastic items:

I believe fantastic items should have their name permanently imprinted on them. So instead of "hammer, iron" its name would be whatever the creator wants it to be and remove both the material and tool name from the name. It seems these are rare enough for this to be a possibility.

Mine doors:

Mine doors could receive a certain strength bonus on top of the strength they receive from QL. Or maybe they are simply harder to bash down.

Rare farm items:

Food items are small enough that it would not be a bad idea to have them have a pretty high chance of turning into a rare meal. A rare meal would fill you more. Another option is not to increase the chance of making a rare meal and keep it low so that the bonus of eating a rare meal can be better. A temporary bonus of sorts, 50% increased skillgain for 10 minutes or 10% increased movement speed.

I don't know if adding a bonus for bandaging with cotton is worth it because you only get 1KG. Could have a bonus for it to bring down a wound to 0, and supreme would be half the timer with fantastic being instant. I think people would rather use these items to create new things with. I guess rare wemp/rope would just have a chance of turning a boat into a rare boat. Can't think of anything else to do with rope.

Although alternatively rare farm products could always result in a rare seed which you can plant to make a rare farm tile. This works like oaks/willows in that it destroys the farm tiles around it. Basically a 3x3 farm field. The harvest becomes two, three or four times as big and has subtle green light effects. Optionally the affected tiles could be made unusable for farming for the next real-life week.

Rare containers and rare lockpicks:

Rare containers should be a lot harder to break into with normal lockpicks...however...rare lockpicks completely remove this bonus and open the lock as if it was a normal container. On top of that, perhaps their size could be increased by a certain %.

Rare locks:

Rare locks could damage the lockpicker while picking the lock. Heard this one in-game thought it was easily one of the best suggestions I've heard so far.

Sacrificing rare items:

Another usage of rare items could be to make them useful in the in-game religions through sacrificing somehow.

• Like 2

I don't know about all of those in those %'s,  Keep them with the small increases seen in the other items.

gems are plentifull and people can simply carry a second one... in order to make the rarity have any form of meaning it has to be powerfull.

Lockpicks break all the time and thus this is the most sensible way of making a rare lockpick usefull.

You can put a rare boat lock on for harder to pick. Would an extra .50 kh faster speed really "break" pvp?

1km more or less is the diffrense between catching/escaping the enemy.

so yes, it does.

Personally K.I.S.S. would be the best way to handle this

That ship already left the dock :P  (and at Rare speeds)

Though do be careful with the bonuses, because even though right now most things are a joke, the more bonuses that rare+ items have, the more of a requirement they'll be for certain types of gameplay (such as PvP).

gems are plentifull and people can simply carry a second one... in order to make the rarity have any form of meaning it has to be powerfull.

Lockpicks break all the time and thus this is the most sensible way of making a rare lockpick usefull.

Like I said keep the small bonuses for all items like they are now rather than say give some  75% 50% or other special powers just because they are rare.  Other wise then you have even more changes to what exactly rare means.

Like I said keep the small bonuses for all items like they are now rather than say give some  75% 50% or other special powers just because they are rare.  Other wise then you have even more changes to what exactly rare means.

A rare mining pick last for a lifetime.

A rare gem is powered once and used up.

Even with 10 rare 90ql lockpicks you will probably break them all before getting into a top quality ship on epic.

Do you see the major diffrense?

I saw an idea like this in another topic:

Make it so that the items (tools/armor/weapons/shields) get sockets (this replaces the bonusses that these items get at the moment).

Rare item: 1 socket

Supreme item: 2 sockets

Fantastic item: 3 sockets

You can put gems into these sockets, each gem would give a different bonus and their ql determines how big this bonus is (rare gems like star gems could give a higher maximum bonus at ql 100). Multiple gems of the same type don't stack, instead the best one applies and the others don't do a thing. This is to encourage mixing up different gems so the item gives small bonusses to multiple things instead of one big bonus to for example weapon damage or timer reduction or skill gain.

I think sockets would work better than using static bonusses for these items, since this way people can customize their own items the way they like them.

Priests don't come into the picture in this idea, so crafters just need gems to finish these items, no enchanting necessary.

Here's a list of example bonusses, these might not all work and I ran out of ideas for the last gem. Please add more ideas for bonusses if you have them, if there's enough then maybe even the star gems could get their own bonusses instead of them  having slightly better bonusses than their normal counterparts. I didn't have to much time to write it all down so it's mostly just basic types of bonusses that other things, like enchants, also give. Maybe others could think of some more unique bonusses, I unfortunatly don't currently have the time for it  :(

• Diamond
    • Tools: Decrease damage taken upon use
    • Weapons: Decrease damage taken upon use
    • Armor: Decrease damage taken upon use
    • Shields: Decrease damage taken upon use

[*]Emerald

• Tools: They are faster
    • Weapons: Increased chance of critical hits
    • Armor: Blocks more
    • Shields: Blocks more

[*]Opal

• Tools: Increased skill gain
    • Weapons: Increased skill gain
    • Armor:  Increased resistance against magic
    • Shields: Increased skill gain

[*]Ruby

• Tools: Reduces stamina cost when using it
    • Weapons: Increases damage done
    • Armor: Increased damage prevention (absorbtion?)
    • Shields: Increased shield bash chance

[*]Sapphire

• Tools: Decreases decay of enchants on the item (I was out of ideas at this point and couldn't think of anything besides this)
    • Weapons:  Decreases decay of enchants on the item
    • Armor:  Decreases decay of enchants on the item
    • Shields:  Decreases decay of enchants on the item

Another idea I thought of with sockets would be to assign special bonusses to combinations.

So if you have 1 gem then the bonusses from above apply, but any possible combination would give another bonus.

So Ruby + Emerald would give a unique bonus instead of adding the emerald and ruby bonusses together. Ruby + Ruby would do something unique too, same for any other combination. Of course the total amount of combinations with these 5 gems would be a bit high. Five for 1 socket, 15 for 2 sockets and something like 21 for 3 sockets?

That's 41 different bonusses for each group, and I had trouble thinking of five, so I guess that might not work or would be very hard to do.               

• Like 6

One more thing that affects the timers is kind of lame. This thread is full of nice ideas already, so please skip the timer reduction for rare items. We already have means to lower timers, we don't need one more...

More suggested effects could be:

Butchering knife - Produce more hides/meat

Hammer and other tools - Imp 20% more in one try

Shovel - Sometimes digs two dirt at once (not always nice)

Carts - Can be dragged with less strenght requirement (so you can put more load on it but still drag by hand)

Boats - Faster

Forge/Owen/Camp fire - Burns longer

Pickaxe - Sometimes digs twice at once

Well - You can fish in it :D

Statues - Glimmer effect

Weapons - Slows damage on the weapon

etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the hard work Rolf!

Having rare mats play a role would be appreciated. We've cut through rare logs and rare lumps without a single rare item made from them. From your post it looks like this hasn't been coded in yet, and there's some concern on how it would conflict with the 50% chance once per hour.

Other concerns worth noting:

Having a rare mat always make rare items would probably be unfair. A single rare log would make 12 rare bows. The balance for this would be daunting with all the different raw materials/recipes possible. If its too high the demand for rare mats would dominate the market, if its too low the rare mats impact would be lost within all the steps of building.

Short of changing the chance of rare items from rare mats on a per recipe basis, other possibilties include (and my personal choice, if its even possible)

[list type=decimal]

[*]assigning each rare item a counter variable. It increments up every time it is used to create a rare. Once it reaches it's thershold it won't make any more rares.

[*]Changing the mat from rare to normal after it is used to make a rare.

Either of these would involve changing item properties (adding a new variable and call, etc) and I don't even think the second option is even possible. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Rare player-bred animals get the "Spark in its eye" trait automatically -- trait is already coded by you from a year ago  I think just no longer appears on animals anymore.

I agree somethings probably should not be able to be rare.

Maybe we should keep it simple: All rare tools, armor and weapons have significantly reduced decay, damage sustained and enchant decay (the unpredicted yet very favorable material structure makes the item sturdier?). Level determines reduction factor.

Maybe we should keep it simple: All rare tools, armor and weapons have significantly reduced decay, damage sustained and enchant decay (the unpredicted yet very favorable material structure makes the item sturdier?). Level determines reduction factor.

A bit boring though.

How about some prefixes that tells wht the rareness does? Like "a rare sturdy hammer", "a fantastic yielding shovel", "a rare fast small cart" etc. If you want to make it even more diverse, add different kinds of possible traits to the same item type also.

I agree with previous posters that there are probably items that should not be possible to get rare version of.

All we have to do is ask why we use something and then make that use better.

farm crops > healing covers > more potency.

farm crops > meals > give more nutrition

butcher knives > better chance to get high ql hides.

fishing pole > better chance to catch a heavy fish (catfish, crap, ect.)

Large cart > goes faster

Ships > goes faster

Lamp posts and other light sources > Illuminate more tiles.

Forges and ovens > take less fuel and make sure this stacks with other bonuses like birch wood.

wood signs in general > have more letters available.

Bulk bins > have a larger volume

Bulk bins > destroy less then %5 of items per month.

Altar > increase the likelihood a reward will be given for prayer.

Altar > increase the faith given for sermons and daily faith-prayer.

In general for Altar, the influence bonus don't appear to do anything. Rewards related to faith and pray would be things folks would actually want.

Meditation rugs > More mediation skill given per a session. Folks only meditation for skill and shorter timers would be counter productive.

In general, creation of non-improvement items (ropes, cloth, strings, and locks with tools ropetools, looms, spindles, and anvil retrospectively) > decrease the quality spread or range by increasing the minimum ql a toon might make.

Note, I didn't putting specific numbers because folks will just argue about it, and in the end Dev's will just do what they want anyway.

I also agree some items should't get rares, if only for the sake of logistics and the work required to make them useful. Getting something like a rare weapon is always fun, and a rare compass or something functional sounds cool in the future. I just feel that so much energy and appeal for the game is in the crafters system it would be unfortunate for rares to only play a part at the last stage of creation, but having rare lumps/clay/logs and intermediate products currently just use up your attempt at a rare item without any gain at the moment.

EDIT

In general, creation of non-improvement items (ropes, cloth, strings, and locks with tools ropetools, looms, spindles, and anvil retrospectively) > decrease the quality spread or range by increasing the minimum ql a toon might make.

This would work for rare mats as well