Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Rare, Fantastic and Supreme ... Trees!

very cool idea +1... but falls under the many countless threads for aesthetic additions that may or may not see the light of day.  So much to add still before they can add the fluff I think, especially with the currently half implemented systems, and other broken systems in place.  This definitely is the best aesthetic suggestion as long as the tree does add some sort of gameplay element...  eventually everyone would just know that it doesn't provide anything useful, and would just ignore the tree other than to grief you.

If the trees added some sort of advantage, then it'd prove to be a hot spot for PVP & Trade which is badly needed at the moment. 

I'd rather not have them radiate any kind of "bonus" or advantage -- just look really really special and amazing. We need more truly unique things in this game that make exploration more interesting.

You can prevent griefing by enchanting one using the path of love ability. An enchanted tree cannot be chopped down.

i posted this on rolf's main rare suggestions thread (in city hall) with a link to this thread, so maybe it will see the light of day. Frankly, i love this suggestion immensely, and would be happy with almost any of the suggested implementations :P

Good Idea, bad pictures... The first few fit, the last ones... Not so much, specially maple and cedar.

But this would also mean that most other rare items would merit special models and textures, and although in the future it might happen, for now not so much.

Also imho rare trees should be born from rare sprouts, Rare fruit trees would give extra fruit, and all the rare trees would have extra chance of getting rare logs.

Good Idea, bad pictures... The first few fit, the last ones... Not so much, specially maple and cedar.

But this would also mean that most other rare items would merit special models and textures, and although in the future it might happen, for now not so much.

Also imho rare trees should be born from rare sprouts, Rare fruit trees would give extra fruit, and all the rare trees would have extra chance of getting rare logs.

New Maple & Cedar pix just for you ^_^ though I am sure the art team would have its own ideas on how they look.

One argument for trees being "special" in getting a unique model vs other items (which may get new models at some stage down the road anyway), is that other items have special properties being enhanced based on their use. For ornamental trees, their huge and awesome look *IS* the only special enhancement they have to offer, and the main reason players would have for seeking them out and building special gathering places around them, such as religious temples or festival grounds.  These are actually special places rather than just objects to be used.  Also, if there is only ONE supreme tree of each type per server, having a special "randomized but appropriate" name coded in for them would also help them have a special "identity" for players, like Takehashi, Rotheos, Laoppaik, Ranoth and other random generated names, so they are even more appreciated as special landmark places. I imagine in the roleplaying subsection of the forum, players might even invent special stories about them.

Anyway, I was just grabbing pix the first time through so tried to find better maple & cedar examples:

japanese-maple-tree-449x300.jpg  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ9GzSO2qXsyqoAJNgqtgQieUjXt5x_oTBiTRjbhkz5fHt384s

+1. Was just thinking rare trees would be great.  To say people would fight over them without them giving better resources is rather assumptive, I know folks on epic would likely care less if they don't give rare logs more often... I'd say a very slim increase in drop rate of rare materials, but it should be just as overaged is for optimum cutting - ideally, if you were in it for the resources and not the gorgeous tree, you'd still want a rare to reach its highest potential before chopping it down (if you were so fortunate as to have several and wouldn't miss its awesomeness).

Fantastic idea, and I loved the pics you posted! Can't wait for Enchant Tree to create new visible effects.

Hopefully there'd be more than one model for any version/state and tree.

I want to say -1 to this because you said that only 1-2 supreme trees could exist per server TYPE, that means 1-2 in all of Freedom (I hope that doesn't include Chaos), and 1-2 in all of Epic.  That seems to be a bit too few, and when people find them, they will be hoarded - deeded, fenced, and locked up forever like the artifacts on Wild that I have heard people complain about.  Also, with one per 350 tile radius, those 2 trees could be on ONE server, meaning no one else has one.  This would create a huge QQ-fest, just like dragon armour - people with it versus people without it.  I'm sure people wuld also be selling access to it to make a quick gold coin.  I would prefer to see a rare chance to pick a rare sprout and a rare chance for it to become a rare tree, that way they are rare, but they will still be there, and a supreme lumber tree won't be stopping someone from planting a supreme fruit tree/bush maple tree.  Spacing limitations could still be used to prevent over-population.

I want to say -1 to this because you said that only 1-2 supreme trees could exist per server TYPE

And maybe even only 1-2 supreme tree of each type on each server. 

Actually I said 1-2 of each type of tree, per server. Not server type, tree type.  There are 10 types of trees total. We have 8 servers. So potentially 80-160 total scattered through the game world, although unlikely most players would ever see more than a couple of these firsthand. Unless they decided to make a pilgrimage out of visiting all the ones on their own server.

I like the idea that they can be pruned to become rare, I like the rare idea, they should be big and impressive! The Supreme ones being limited and made a valuable resource. Make it impossible to deed/build within x squares of it to prevent hoarding and such. I like the idea that people will have to travel over servers to obtain certain items. PvP between nations is good (I play PvP at least so this is my perspective) but so is trade between nations, encouraging travel and the market. Say the Ultimate willow is on one server people who wish to make bows/fancy fishing rods will require this but they need oak or maple too for other things and will have to go elsewhere.

Some kind of aura would be great too, something to really get people there, depending on the tree maybe crafting, cooking, fighting, religion bonuses could be applied. Obviously nothing game breaking but at the same time something worth talking about, more than just some new skins for trees.

For limitations I would say 1 of each tree per server group.

I like the concept of this Idea, but I do not want any ole tree turning into that type of tree simply by pruning.  It would be much better if you had some control over where this type of thing was going to the planted.

+1 with an option to make a treehouse on supreme trees once we get proper 3d support (aka multistory buildings, etc.)  ;D

+1 Best suggestion I've heard. 

Doesn't break anything in the game but adds a lot of character.