Sign in to follow this  
Doombiscuits

Sloppy Hollow: Academy, Event Center, and Community Events

Okay, this post might take a few to read, and might bore some of you, so take that into consideration before you even start reading it.

Eastern Deliverance Wurmian Academy

This project is not an original idea.  When we were on Independence, there was once an Academy of Enlightenment where new players could go and get some real training.  There were an abundance of resources, and many people learned the ins and outs of the game there, then went on to do their own thing, or just stayed.  I think that with the new influx of fresh players that the time has come to re-implement such an academy, so I pitched it to my town, and they supported.  I have also contacted other veterans that play on Deliverance, and have received positive feedback from the majority.  This project is about to break ground, and will take a lot of work to be done properly.  The main focus is to create permanent players that contribute to the Wurm community, understand the rules, and can perform the multitude of tasks in the game, without randomly building up an area and then quitting out of frustration, or becoming a troll or leech on the rest of us.  If interested in becoming a part of this project, please contact me here, or on Doombiscuit/Doomgar in game.

Sloppy Hollow Event Center

This one is not as innocent or community geared as the Academy, this project also holds the ulterior motive to aid in recruitment...  We are building a beautiful event center to hold Imp-A-Longs and other activities.  Community activities both promote a sense of unity, and they help us get to know each other and make new friends.  Yes, hopefully we will gain some new or veteran players from it, but the other reasons are equally or more important.  Sloppy Hollow has been exclusively a Vyn town since it's conception, though we have a few Mag followers as well now.  We are  going to crown the event center with a Vynora Monastery to hold on-going sermons and conduct the RoS each time it is off of cool-down.

Vynora Monastery

This is going to be a community facility, open to all, with crafting stations and resources available at no charge.  There will be housing available at no cost.  There will be temporary/permanent lodging available at no cost.  The reason for this is to promote the Vynoran faith, and to help younger priests level up.  There will be an increased number of priests as the game player base keeps rising, so we are going to try to accommodate that.  It is only a minor one, and in no way is to compete with other similar facilities.

Sloppy Hollow may be full of trolls and pirates, but we're good people, and we all enjoy playing this game.  We want others to enjoy it, with or without us.  Anything we can do to increase our roster, or make the Wurm gaming experience more enjoyable over-all is taken into consideration.  It's not about money, or success, or being the best, it's about creating a strong community.  Work-force numbers rise and fall, and people take breaks from the game.  No matter the situation, we want our personal community, and the overall community to prosper.  We have been accused of looking for free labor, and yeah, who isn't.  Extra hands make easier workloads...duh.  Either way, I hope everyone enjoys the RoS and the benefits of it and I hope you can make it out this way when you get a chance.

DOOM

We have been accused of looking for free labor, and yeah, who isn't.  Extra hands make easier workloads...duh. 

[16:09:04] <Trenith> to use noobs for your workload as u said

[16:09:08] <Doombiscuit> yeah

[16:09:11] <Doombiscuit> that's why

[16:09:29] <Doombiscuit> i openly said that in my forums post, to recruit, as everyone mostly tries to do

This is sad that someone must try to do a bunch of stuff to try to promote their town. The academy, planned to be positioned right next to sloppy hollow and players are prompted to join them. The event center, same as well, the monastery same as well. It is unfortunate that veterans feel the need to take advantage of new players by trying to throw a veil over their eyes and surround them with this cloud of we're good people but in the end your main objective is to use and abuse them. This does not create a player base, this does not build a strong community. Trust me. This is very unfortunate.

And for the record sir, not everyone tries to recruit players to lighten their work load and ease the costs of paying for labor. Last time I checked we pay our villagers for their work because they rely on jobs to pay their premium. Sometimes they don't get silver they get new gears, sometimes they just do it for free because they see we will help them out for free. That builds a strong community, no one is taken advantage of, everyone is given the opportunity to do their own thing and no one is required to do anything. Their is a reason we have the largest, most active alliance on Deliverance and I'd like to say its because we take care of our people and understand what makes a team.

With that said good luck in your endeavors.

If anything, the Academy should be beside GD, otherwise newbloods will get lost/die/get bored and QQ en route.

His response when I said this "we will have them suicide to the place and we will give them new stuff or we will cart them over."

But yes it should be closer to the starting deed.

It should also be a selfless thing that somebody only does for increasing their own self value, worth and esteem. Not to promote their town and what they got going so they gain from it. It should be a community benefiting thing. At the moment it is not.

God this post reminds of the days back in Wurm beta when Kyara were slavers and did the same thing to noobs. Exploited them for their labor, took their freedom away from them, some noobs were even extorted for their Irons, Coppers and Silvers by some ruthless Kyara's players. They were indoctinated into the Kyara method of how things worked and if they didn't soon fall into line, they would be evicted, their possessions were confiscated and they were run out of town with nothing. Those who made waves could find themselves a corpse in the form of a lg Bag with a large Red "?" (Question Mark) on the side.

I say Enough of this Noob Abuse, Misuse and Exploitation by those claiming to be there to help the Noob learn the ropes. Noobs don't need organized sweat houses. This is a fun and life enriching game, meant for our pleasure and enjoyment.

If noobs need help we have Player Asstants, CM & GM's, the Dev's, Tuturiols, the "/help and even the guy in kchat telling some one else to shut up or telling them a joke. Please won't you help save a players future enjoyment of the Wurm Online experience, by saving a Noob today, by saving them now, by saving them from those who would steal their money, their fun, most of all....their Good Wurm Experience!

This is a Public Service message brought to you by the 5 Rivendell's and Wintersolstice  8)   

Wow, you guys are sad, completely sad.  We're trying to do something good, and you guys want to bash it.  We're not trying to make slaves.  We are giving free tools and teaching at no cost to them, and we're not asking them to make bulk goods or give anything in return.  They are going to be free to leave at any time.  The truth is this:  Wurm is growing and evolving.  New players will come, and it helps to have someone to give you a hand when starting out.  We are not going to exploit them in any way, we will not force them to do anything.  We are providing free housing, free food, and free materials to new players.  We are willing to teach them the rules of the game, how to grind professions, how to use IRC, Wiki, Forums, and how to set up deeds, etc.  We have not intentions of abusing anyone.  You own selfishness is obvious in your attacks, because you can't comprehend people who enjoy the game wanting to make it better.  The academy is not a binding contract in any form.  If they don't want to come here, they don't have to.  It's purely optional, and they can leave, with everything they've been given or created in the time they've spent here.  No, it's not by Green Dog, it's at Sloppy, because we're the ones running it.  We have 3 deeds in this area, and traveling or moving isn't realistic.  We'll pick newbs up or they can suicide here, but that isn't to hurt anyone, it's to make it easier.  We are not forcing anyone to join Sloppy Hollow either.  We only have 2 lots left on the main deed, and that's because I was saving them for players that might come back.  If we recruited at all, it wouldn't be for a workforce to generate income, it would be for more town members to help do projects or to make new friends.  More hands makes easier workloads.  None of us need their money or their bulk orders.  Just volunteers to help do amazing things.  The academy isn't even related to recruitment in the first place.  It's something that will make our community stronger, and create useful members of the Wurm society.  So stop 'hating' on us and just let it go.  You guys really need to chill out.

I do not want to start a flame War and ask you to STOP yours (Yes, Trenith and Rivendell I would rather not post a Few PM's I got). As we are are here to help the newer player.

If noobs need help we have Player Asstants, CM & GM's, the Dev's, Tuturiols, the "/help and even the guy in kchat telling some one else to shut up or telling them a joke. Please won't you help save a players future enjoyment of the Wurm Online experience, by saving a Noob today, by saving them now, by saving them from those who would steal their money, their fun, most of all....their Good Wurm Experience!

How many noobs in the last day do you think I had to help when CA and Devs help "failed" them?

4 , yes 4 in 7 days JUST in local range of us. The Devs couldn`t do anything due to it not being agains`t the rules (of which the newer players where unaware of) but I was able to talk to the players and sort out the problem.

Is CA help ,the tutorials , and Kchat always the best route to train players?

1. To many trolls supplying incorrect details in KChat.

2. A handbook is nothing vs. Real life experience with a teacher teaching you the tips and tricks.

3. CA help is there to explain Game features , not to teach a player how to dig.

If anything, the Academy should be beside GD, otherwise newbloods will get lost/die/get bored and QQ en route.

1. What Doom sed.

2. We had 4 newer players find us by just looking at the map. So it ain't that hard or long a walk to get to us.

Well I am not sure what all the drama is about.

*Very shocked*

It's surprisingly upsetting when both sides have been there to help me and I have seen BOTH sides help others as well, yet you don't support each other for helping others.

*Deeply saddened*

I have been over to Sloppy, things progress rather well and I have enjoyed helping.

Sadly gotta work tomorrow irl... :( But I'll be back during the week.

Upon getting to know the Sloppies a little better, I've seen fit to retract my comment. There are much worse people out there who could start a Wurmcademy :P Doom, Sincor and the rest will look after you :)

Ehh... what? Exploiting noobs, and being selfish for not building this right by the spawn?  ???   

Doom is awesome, the only time he ever exploited me was when we were on Epic and had just been raided, he made me make bricks! The horror....  ::)      In all seriousness, there's really not a place besides my own deed I'd rather be.

Trenith/Jup/Tintin if you have other issues with us don`t take it out on the noobs we want the help out please.

We are investing our time and Money to Help them out and all you can do is ###### and moan.

"If you have nothing good to say , rather say nothing."

Likely the People who know and are such a Elitism person support us and want to help us out. Thank you Guys and gals.

In other News:

The deed is almost flat and bricks and mortar making is in full swing (note a BSB can take 1999 bricks - TY Ebonvoid)

Sincors (My Vyn Priest) HFC is close to 70 so expect some good food.

The farms are growing nicely so the newer players will be able to leave whit some nice farming skill too.

Of all people Tintin, you and your village shouldn't be the ones accusing others of moral wrong doing and disrespect. Quit harassing Doom and the rest of his crew. That is all.

A few of the rules and stuff we will be doing.

All new trainees will be given the mats to built there own small cart and tough how to do it. They may take this cart with them when the leave.

The will also be allowed to imp and repair a wall section for some basic masonry skill (we will employ catapults to help them out)

Everything the Make the are allowed to keep. When they leave or stop playing they items they left behind will be stored for 30 days.

Classes Include

The basics of terraforming. (teaches about digging , falttening , flatraising and what to do if you hit rock)

Making your 1st cart (teaches about making , attaching and imping)

Blacksmithing , mining and prospecting. (teaches how to find iron , mine it and make a few basic tools)

Woodcutting and Forestry (Teaches how to gather logs and replant trees)

Carpentry (Teaches about making Carpentry items and all it sub skill items - Also helps up there BC so that the will later be able to ride horses)

Tailoring (Teaches them about making cloth items and later on sails for boats) -- IF we get enough leather we will teach them how to make a water skin

Farming (Gives them some basic farming skill so they can at least examine a tile to see if its ready to harvest)

House building (Teaches them about how to build a house and how to plan it - note that all houses will be destroyed after building them to teach them how to clean an area for the next person)

Enchants (teaches them the basics of enchants and there uses - I will employ some clay so as it gives nice timer differences when making mortar with a mere 30 WoA)

Fighting (teaches them how to use a Practice doll and what to take on at what skill, Also teaches about different animal conditions like slow vs. lurking.)

Death (it will happen , but what to do when your close to it and what to do after it)

Healing (Wounds , bandaging and healing covers)

... and may more

One the classes I will be doing know that I think about it will be on how to make crude tools (I have made a few just to prospect and area and see what is there)

Just build the damn thing. obviously if it's actually a ploy for slave labor it'll be reported and bannered across deli as a slave camp if not it'll be a nice resource either way just build it first.

Trenith/Jup/Tintin if you have other issues with us don`t take it out on the noobs we want the help out please.

We are investing our time and Money to Help them out and all you can do is  and moan.

"If you have nothing good to say , rather say nothing."

Im not your momma, I will say what I have to say good or not. Your momma lied to you the real world is not a nice place.

Of all people Tintin, you and your village shouldn't be the ones accusing others of moral wrong doing and disrespect. Quit harassing Doom and the rest of his crew. That is all.

This conversation was dropped long ago after I had made my post and stated what I had to state. Only ones dragging it on at this point is "

doom and the rest of his crew"

Just build the damn thing. obviously if it's actually a ploy for slave labor it'll be reported and bannered across deli as a slave camp if not it'll be a nice resource either way just build it first.

He's already admitted that it would be to promote his deed to get noobs to lighten his workload because he doesn't like to do anything.

A few of the rules and stuff we will be doing.

All new trainees will be given the mats to built there own small cart and tough how to do it. They may take this cart with them when the leave.

The will also be allowed to imp and repair a wall section for some basic masonry skill (we will employ catapults to help them out)

Everything the Make the are allowed to keep. When they leave or stop playing they items they left behind will be stored for 30 days.

Classes Include

The basics of terraforming. (teaches about digging , falttening , flatraising and what to do if you hit rock)

Making your 1st cart (teaches about making , attaching and imping)

Blacksmithing , mining and prospecting. (teaches how to find iron , mine it and make a few basic tools)

Woodcutting and Forestry (Teaches how to gather logs and replant trees)

Carpentry (Teaches about making Carpentry items and all it sub skill items - Also helps up there BC so that the will later be able to ride horses)

Tailoring (Teaches them about making cloth items and later on sails for boats) -- IF we get enough leather we will teach them how to make a water skin

Farming (Gives them some basic farming skill so they can at least examine a tile to see if its ready to harvest)

House building (Teaches them about how to build a house and how to plan it - note that all houses will be destroyed after building them to teach them how to clean an area for the next person)

Enchants (teaches them the basics of enchants and there uses - I will employ some clay so as it gives nice timer differences when making mortar with a mere 30 WoA)

Fighting (teaches them how to use a Practice doll and what to take on at what skill, Also teaches about different animal conditions like slow vs. lurking.)

Death (it will happen , but what to do when your close to it and what to do after it)

Healing (Wounds , bandaging and healing covers)

... and may more

One the classes I will be doing know that I think about it will be on how to make crude tools (I have made a few just to prospect and area and see what is there)

Few of your things are covered in the tutorial. Woodcutting and forestry, death, healing and carpentry. Few are easily covered on the wiki. A few things like basics of terraforming, prospecting. Those things. Are a bit more difficult to understand from the wiki and not bad idea to teach someone hands on. Otherwise your entire lists says "Come to me we will teach you how to play and be your wiki" No where in there are you teaching them to be self-reliable in getting information.

But like Joan said,

Just build the damn thing.

Cause I honestly dont care about this project at this point. I know what it is, I know what its purpose is, unfortunate that people believe otherwise. Seriously could careless about this project though. Doom is on a mission to "take over freedom" to make up of his and his crews failure on epic. So go head, take over freedom lol

Im done in this topic so dont waste your breathes responding to something. Dragging this on is rather stupid.

+1

Tintin maybe this what he does is wrong. But start cleaning up in front of your own door...

Having created my primary deed on Independence directly above The Academy of Enlightenment and being there since its inception, I have had an overview (literally) of how this fine attempt at basically helping new players get started in the game has functioned, evolved and eventually disbanded.

First I will state that Dannyiron was a very friendly and selfless person. There was no thought within his mind (although I can not read minds) to promote or use this concept and deed for his own benifit. The concept was simply as stated, to help new players learn how to *enjoy* playing Wurm and make it through the difficult initial process of learning how to survive within this many times harsh environment.

It was established by him within easy and fairly safe walking distance from the spawn point of Samling, which of course was a definate advantage to them and this was obviously his intent. It took maybe all of five minutes to stroll there while gaping at the magnificant surroundings of Samling bay.

The newly arrived players had their names placed as friend on the writ of a newly framed out building and proceeded to build it at their leisure. They had a food supply available as needed which resolved the major issue of the new player of keeping themself properly fed, so everything was basically gravey after this obstacle was overcome.

The players were then free to do whatever they wanted. No chores were set, no expectations needed to be met, no schedules need be kept. Some basic building projects were started and those who wished to could participate in them. If Danny or an Elder were around, they were glad to answer questions; but it was understood that you don't need "help" to learn how to do many of Wurm's basic actions and the wiki can provide answers faster to involved questions than some person typing out the same information can. Common sense pretty much ruled the day there.

All resources were available nearby, so nothing was lacking there. There was free undeeded land in the area surrounding the deed on several sides and some people eventually created their own deeds there. Some people even chose to build a house on the free land and still come into The Academy from time to time for food or whatever else they might need. Once they left (if they were decent persons) they were still part of that family and warmly treated by Danny.

After a time Elwood joined Danny as an Elder and was also very helpful to the new players, as well as with planning and building of the deed. He would have a much deeper insight into the functioning of the whole system, as I was just another player up on the hill watching it all transpire from my own vantage point. Then again, there are other players who started out at The Academy, are still playing and have their own insight and experiences to share. I dare say few, if any of them, would have a bad word to say about Dannyiron.

So, after an extended period (exact time frame eludes me) Danny decided to change the concept of The Academy from one of helping new players get established to just being a Village that others could join if he were around to add them and deemed them suitable. Eventually Danny decided to not spend his time with the deed and it was disbanded.

In my viewpoint what led to its ending was that a concept such as this takes a great deal of time in game to be available to set up the new arrivals so that they then can go about doing whatever they like, finding out what appeals to them within the game. During this interval they do need some help with basic things that come up that puzzle them, or even some encouragement when a problem arises and leads to frustration. I think that without someone who can devote this inordinate amount of time playing the game, this concept will eventually come to its end, as did The Academy of Enlightenment.

Although I was at arms length observing all this, I am sure many will fondly remember Dannyiron and the unselfish help he offered them on their beginning steps within these Wurm environs. Even from my safe enclosure above, I could get this glimpse into the character of this giving person who delighted to see the bustle of activity created by the new players within his Academy. I wish anyone well who starts on an endeavor such as this and is willing to devote the necessary time to make it a lasting success in helping new players on their journey further into the Wurm experience.

If I have mistated anything in my post that is better understood by those who were members of The Academy of Enlightenment, you have my apology and I welcome your corrections. All I can say to this is that from my viewpoint Dannyiron with his concept and operation of The Academy is a person to be admired and anyone would do well to emulate and expand upon it.

=Ayes=

Okay, not sure why this turned into a fight again, but I would prefer it not be.  I said what I have to say, now drop it.  The forums war solves nothing, and I wish everyone would stfu and quit with the drama.  Jesus people, most of you are grown-ups.  Pull your acts together, quit baby-sitting this post to make trouble, and let it go.  Bastages, if you read this before I talk to you, do not reply to this thread or feed this fight any more.  If you don't like that, talk to me personally. 

Doom

Doom is on a mission to "take over freedom" to make up of his and his crews failure on epic. So go head, take over freedom lol

There is some serious leap of logic, between building a Academy-like deed and taking over 4 servers. I wonder what details are we missing?

As a funny side note - i remember Danny and Elwood being blamed for wanting to take over freedom at some point too, i wonder if that's related?  :P

Doom is on a mission to "take over freedom" to make up of his and his crews failure on epic. So go head, take over freedom lol

There is some serious leap of logic, between building a Academy-like deed and taking over 4 servers. I wonder what details are we missing?

The detail you are missing is that Tintin is part of an alliance that has this perceived notion of them "owning" or "dominating" the Deliverance server, and they see this academy as a threat to their perceived dominance.

Basically its 2 groups of gorillas standing on 2 mountain tops pounding their chests. An old group of Wild players that has taken their Wild drama with them to a Freedom server and wish to drag it down on to all the other players. The academy could be a great way to help new players (Dannyiron certainly did a good job once) but apparently the almighty Tintin (or Jup, Trenith, Rara or Xeniphi or whatever name he prefers?) can read Doombuiscuits mind and knows that this is only to a step in owning the server.

I don't know Doom at all so I can't comment on that, but surely someone else than the mighty Rivendell alliance doing anything good for the server can't be good and must be stopped through manipulating and flaming on the forums. Personally I find it appalling that the forum moderators have not moderated this topic since the first post from Tintin derailed it completely.

Personally I find it appalling that the forum moderators have not moderated this topic since the first post from Tintin derailed it completely.

I guess they are choking on their popcorns

Doombiscuit,

I apologize If I came off to Strong in my negative reaction to your post. I based my opinion on your post and a few other comments I heard. I jumped a bit Quickly I will have to say, even for my Grouchy old self, but I have been informed by someone who has been there and checked the place out and talked to noobs there and she has assured me that my fears are unfounded and that I need not worry as you are running a legitimate school. 

So I guess the best way for me to be assured of this is to offer you some of my services and my time to help out the noobs as the noobs are the most important part Of the Game. I look forward to heariing from you Doombiscuit>

Wintersolstice 8)

the almighty Tintin (or Jup, Trenith, Rara or Xeniphi or whatever name he prefers?) can read Doombuiscuits mind and knows that this is only to a step in owning the server.

Actually its only, Trenith, Jup, Sold Rara, and TJr. Despite what people think I dont own a million alts lol....

Update, the majority of the Academy is terraformed, we're going to toss some buildings and some raw materials up and start taking interested players soon.  If you're interested in recruiting people that are done with the academy and need a town, please contact me so I can have a list of mayors on hand, and a description of the town.