Sign in to follow this  
Taxton

Rare Item Reports

Maybe rare items are easier to enchant? Anyone testing this?

Got a rare log, maplewood. It stacked normally with the other logs. It was lowest ql (1), so didn't get an obvious boost to ql. I made a regular spindle from it.

The good news we can all pull from this is it seems that the rarity system isn't giving anyone a reason to throw away their old tools for new rare ones.  In fact, there hasn't been one reported benefit yet to having a rare item.  Other than the name itself...  Makes it interesting to find out what the actual benefit is, and also that old players can stop raging about new players getting rare items when they haven't gotten one yet and they've been playing longer.

I'm assuming we're going to be reporting more tomorrow about this.  I can't wait to get off work tomorrow ;)

You get approx 1 chance of 50% each hour to create a rare item. Rarity causes weapons to cause more damage, armour to protect better, and tool timer to be slightly faster (like ~0.1s). All types of item can become 'rare', but not all of them have advantages coded for them.

is the chance lower when imping a non-rare item for it to become rare?

Has anyone got a dragon item rare yet? I have been trying for hours no luck

You get 50% chance to make one per hour. Keep at it ;)

You get 50% chance to make one per hour. Keep at it ;)

i got none yet.. so 50% chance i doubt that lol thats why i wonder if it works on dragon stuff

Can anyone confirm or deny that the drum sound is always associated with the appearance of a rare item? I've heard that sound several times now & once I did find a rare item in my bag just afterwards but I've also heard it when I didn't get a rare & I was alone in local so I'm confused. Basically I've heard the drum thing 5 times & only gotten 2 rare items.

You get approx 1 chance of 50% each hour to create a rare item. Rarity causes weapons to cause more damage, armour to protect better, and tool timer to be slightly faster (like ~0.1s). All types of item can become 'rare', but not all of them have advantages coded for them.

So the first thing you make or improve in a given hour has a chance to be rare, and then nothing else until the hour is up?

That seems a little odd. Makes it easy to get the specific rare item you want, if you just try to make one of those, once per hour, and don't craft anything else in the interim.

I think that system, if I understood it correctly there, is going to have some unforeseen consequences. It encourages strange and rather inconvenient behaviour from crafters. Normally I'd just sit down and do a big session of crafting, but (particularly if folks start wanting only rare gear) that's going to be extremely suboptimal, and I'd be better off having tiny nibbles of crafting on the hour. It simply won't make sense to craft for the rest of the hour, knowing that nothing I'd make would have a chance of being up to the new standard.

Also, if the further upgrades work in the same way, getting to fabled quality is simply a case of only improving your rare item, once every hour.

I can't help feeling that simply having a very small chance on every crafting action would have been the preferable path.

So the first thing you make in a given hour has a chance to be rare, and then nothing else until the hour is up?

That seems a little odd. Makes it easy to get the specific rare item you want, if you just try to make one of those, once per hour, and don't craft anything else in the interim.

I think that system, if I understood it correctly there, is going to have some unforeseen consequences. It encourages strange and rather inconvenient behaviour from crafters. Normally I'd just sit down and do a big session of crafting, but (particularly if folks start wanting only rare gear) that's going to be extremely suboptimal, and I'd be better off having tiny nibbles of crafting on the hour.

Not sure why you would do that.  Improving the item needs to be done anyway, and improvement can create rares too.  This might serve to make people specialize a bit more and not do as many random jobs, but in terms of crafter productivity it won't change a whole lot.

I made a rare kingdom flag on Serenity, the Drum roll audio startled me.

[19:14:42] A delicate tree sprout with a few tender leaves. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. It is made from birchwood.

17.69 QL. It did not make its own category in my inventory. I successfully planted it but it did not make a rare tree.

So, has anyone tried sacrificing rare items to see if the gods like them more?

It should not be time based or eventually it will be exploited.  This type of thing should be completely random.

So the first thing you make or improve in a given hour has a chance to be rare, and then nothing else until the hour is up?

There's nothing in Manny's quote to limit ourselves to the notion that the first attempt in an hour is the attempt for the rare, and if unsuccessful, nothing rare will come during that hour.

I interpret the 50% an hour as in an hour of crafting you will get a rare item about 50% of the time otherwise the chance on your first attempt would be exploited

There's nothing in Manny's quote to limit ourselves to the notion that the first attempt in an hour is the attempt for the rare, and if unsuccessful, nothing rare will come during that hour.

This is a good point.

I'm wondering how rare components/ingredients work. I hope they do more than just reduce use time when they are made into something?

It should not be time based or eventually it will be exploited.  This type of thing should be completely random.

This is the opposite of the truth. If it is time based (say, one rare item every 2 weeks), it's fine. If it's not time based, macros could just spam items and get tons of rares.

4 pages and we can already macro and exploit rare items? I wonder about this community at times, rare items atm seem to do nothing but have a rare tag and not stack with other items.

You get one 50% chance to get ONE rare item an hour, and people could macro it, yep. suuuuuure.

give me a moment while i set up a macro to create 300weapons or tools an hour and ill get back to you with how it goes.

/sarcasm.

4 pages and we can already macro and exploit rare items? I wonder about this community at times, rare items atm seem to do nothing but have a rare tag and not stack with other items.

Can't macro before, can't macro now.

No difference ::)

The only point I was trying to make is that a system that encourages people to spam items...will encourage people to spam items.