Sign in to follow this  
Shazaam

Why Can't Hitched Carts Go Through Doors Again?

Good idea or Bad?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea or Bad?

• Keep it the same.
    • Bad Idea, Change it back to allow hitched carts through doors.

So what about if you would have to tare down a wall, and create a new barn door type? Would that work?

Would be perfectly fine by me. Make it function just as normal doors do, lockable etc. Would work great and be a great addition to the game.

So what about if you would have to tare down a wall, and create a new barn door type? Would that work?

I'm all for it! I would improve gameplay in so significant way :D

God yes.

Its painful having to empty 5000kgs of cart into another cart in my house just to get it where i want to go.

A new "barn door" wall-type would be the best solution for everyone and everything considered.

Please also think about different types for wood and stone buildings.

A new "barn door" wall-type would be the best solution for everyone and everything considered.

I don't believe anyone is against a new " barn door ", just a faster solution now and not another 2-3 years until it gets on Rolf or the Devs priority list.

God yes.

Its painful having to empty 5000kgs of cart into another cart in my house just to get it where i want to go.

Yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

I don't believe anyone is against a new " barn door ", just a faster solution now and not another 2-3 years until it gets on Rolf or the Devs priority list.

You realize that Zcul is a developer? He sounds like he wants to approaching this right now.

You realize that Zcul is a developer? He sounds like he wants to approaching this right now.

If that's the case and it can be done within reasonable time, that's a good idea. But right now it seems everyone would be just fine having the alternative in place until barn doors are added.

And what makes you so sure that changing doors will be on their priority list?

We had the current situation for three years. Even if it's annoying as hell that's no good reason to do another quick bandaid that stays in game forever because it "solves" the situation. Better to get it done right.

I'd love to see a barn door type wall. And it's promising that a dev actually added some comments (although MrB already stated in an older thread that he'd work on such a wall type).

Has been posted in suggestions quite a few times over the last couple of years; MrB hinted that barn doors were on the way...

My guess is they may possibly come out with 2 story housing.

If indeed locking barn doors are coming in say a month or less, then just ignore the rest of this.

Even if it's annoying as hell that's no good reason to do another quick bandaid that stays in game forever because it "solves" the situation. Better to get it done right.

Justifying imposing of hardship and silly limitations just because some (you included) don't like a workable solution is just as week an argument. I vote band-aid until the devs can implement these been-requested-for-the-last-two-years Barn doors.

Assuming the reason we can't drive the cart inside is because its not realistic to drive such a large thing through a small door. I think if there's no time to code the realistic solution (barn doors) then the nerf/limitation shouldn't be allowed. Why is it that selective realism keeps getting used as justification for nerfs and limitations? 

Very easy to model. It should be something that can be done really quickly. Take the original door-wall model, widen the door space, double the door, widen them a bit, and then animate them to open out.

Very easy to model. It should be something that can be done really quickly. Take the original door-wall model, widen the door space, double the door, widen them a bit, and then animate them to open out.

Can use the wooden mine door model, surrounded by the normal wall texture, or even use a cropped version of the palisade gate.

Even if it's annoying as hell that's no good reason to do another quick bandaid that stays in game forever because it "solves" the situation. Better to get it done right.

Justifying imposing of hardship and silly limitations just because some (you included) don't like a workable solution is just as week an argument. I vote band-aid until the devs can implement these been-requested-for-the-last-two-years Barn doors.

I like a workable solution as well. But I want something lasting and not a quick fix like removing collision detection just to fix a situation that has been going on for 3 years.

Also I'm pretty confident that the devs would be able to create a proper solution in pretty much the same time frame as the band-aid IF it was actually being worked on. And cosindering the love this issue has received in the last 3 years, how long will it take until a dev actually fixes it for real if there is a workaround in place and there are "more pressing" issues?

PS: I don't want to bash Rolf and the devs. I really appreciate your work, even if some of the features take quite some time.

Although this has probably already descended into an all out flame war (and considering the ad-hominem:useful-idea ratio is so low it should probably be locked), I use a storage building design that exposes 5 BSBs per door.  It's a 2x3 design shaped like a U, with the door in the middle and a BSB on each tile inside the building.  I can back up my cart in the entry port, walk inside, open up all 5 BSBs at a time, and drag right from the cart into the BSBs.  It might be possible to expand this design to a 3x3 with an extra row inside, such that if the BSBs are all pushed closer to the door you can reach all 8 from one tile.  I also have one BSB outside in the cart port so that I can let my villagers come make pickups:

+-+-+-+

|o|o|o|

+-+-+-+

|o|o|o|

+-+-+-+

|o| |o|

+-+ +-+

Barring the unlikely event that a new building type / door type / carts through doors functionality is introduced, the technique above offers a storage building design that can be built immediately that doesn't involve 1 door per BSB.

It should have to come to any of these "player fixes", and it's clear people want a solution asap.