Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Chaos suggestion

Because people left wild when it became chaos to live on the freedom servers until that whole mess was sorted out. They didn't want to live in their "war" deeds and see a constant reminder all their work gone down the pipe. Open up FFA PvP or a new server, I bet you it gets populated.

Ok so you had 300 people on until it became chaos....riiiiggghttt...facts are you had like what maybe 20?  for along time and that is why it got changed to chaos in the first place.

Before epic came out it was often at around 150 or so online during peak times( I believe, i could be wrong i stopped playing for a while there until i heard epic was being released) Then one epic came out it was 20 or so online, it was soonafter changed to chaos

heres a couple of charts.

villages-year.png

wurm-year.png

seems odd less players and more settlements now.

Why some of you guys keep insisting on making a new server? Wurm's problem always was the fact that population was so low compared with the size of the server...Even during the golden times you could encounter these moment of frustration of empty local in the heart of enemy land. 1 old styled wild server with some fixes+ freedom (dunno, 2 servers probably needed?) + epic is okay solution

Peak of 88 people? I must not be reading the graph right. I remember a point during the WL war there were 200 people on.

Why some of you guys keep insisting on making a new server? Wurm's problem always was the fact that population was so low compared with the size of the server...Even during the golden times you could encounter these moment of frustration of empty local in the heart of enemy land. 1 old styled wild server with some fixes+ freedom (dunno, 2 servers probably needed?) + epic is okay solution

Because he will not return Chaos. He has already said this pretty much in IRC.

Rolf's solution to everything...I'll just wack more servers in!!

Thanks for making Wild a pile of , promising to sort things out with your "chaos council" then completely going back on that and leaving it a pile of ...

Allright, I've been offline for a few weeks, and I've read 22 pages, and I'm getting tired.

I started playing on wild about 5 years ago. over a dozen of my friends and I had a village we were working to build. All of us were noobs at the time, but we were having fun. We knew that the server was pvp, and we did our best to create defenses. We even had long time players with good skills come and help us imp our buildings and walls. It wasn't enough. Our village was raided, again and again and again, even though we had nothing to steal, nothing worth taking. The people who raided us seemed to take pleasure from knocking holes in our buildings and throwing all of our things into fires where they would take damage. Our population got smaller and smaller, until it was just myself and two others playing. We determined that we would move to JKH and impove our skills for a while with the ultimate goal of moving back to Wild and recreating our village. When the JKH server was shut down, we converted to the BL, as we had made friends with some players there. I was excited, we had a large number of experienced players, we founded a new village, we spent months fortifying it, turning our new home into a fortress. High dirt walls were erected, Longhouses were built around the entire thing, the quality of everything was a high as we could possibly make it. This was a village that was meant to last. Unfortunately, war was declared, and we were dragged into it against our will. Once more we were attacked again, and again, and again. When it became obvious that our home was going to be destroyed, myself and two others left to found an alternate. A safehaven that we could retreat to. Several of my friends continued to defend our dying village to try and give us as much time as possible to construct the new walls. Once again we had been forced to move, no amount of highly skilled fighters, no number of guards could have saved us. We moved on with our lives, again, we spent great deals of time constructing a new village. The walls were the first things up, we planned everything around them. We made them twice as tall as they were before, we hoped it would be twice as strong, we added extra layers of walls, rows and rows of defenses, all the while being hounded by those in our kingdom, being blamed for the loss of the war we did not wish to start. We tried to reach out to others, only to be betrayed many times. Our closest allies were also ostricised, they were also hounded and raided. Eventually, it was too much, our walls fell yet again, and once more we were forced to move. We chose to live on the Freedom server, where no one could forcibly take our home from us again. Yes, we lived on freedom, but we yearned to return to wild, to reclaim what had been ours. When wild became chaos, we did return. I now live with my closest friend, a long term player who has added much to this game, in her original home, the one she helped to build when the server was brand new. I live here, and many others who have played on wild, many who started playing during beta, and we are glad to be home. The only thing we miss is the ability to kill whoever we want whenever we want.

I am not against pvp, I actually like the thrill of it. If I leave my deed, I should be fair game for anyone who wants to kill me, however, I do not want to lose my home again. When I am on my deed, that I have payed good money for, I want to know that I am safe. I understand that not everyone agrees with me, so I propose a compromise.

Allow pvp, just as it was in the past, with one exception. Do not allow raiding on deeds unless the owner of said deed has enabled a pvp option, or the deed has more then 30 citizens. Everyone who is not allied with your deed is considered "neutral" they can attack and be attacked, but we can still pm and trade with them. Under the current system we can have alliances that act much like PMKs if an alliance has declared war against another, and the other accepts, then all deeds within those alliances may raid one another, reguarless of size or wether a deed has enabled a pvp option. All citizens from the alliances see each other as enemies, meaning no pms or trading would be allowed.

Personally, I feel this is a fair compromise. Those who wish to have pvp, may kill anyone who is not on a deed, they would still be allowed to organize raids on large deeds or deeds that have allowed for pvp, but those who do not wish to see their homes destroyed, or feel (or know) that they cannot defend themselves against the greater might of large experience groups will still not have to worry about their homes being destroyed. I always liked the feel of having to watch my local and look over my shoulder when I was away from my deed, if I died then, I died, afterall, I was out in the open and was fair game, however, I did not like having to look over my shoulder in my own home, I did not like having holes knocked in my buildings, having all of my livestock slaughtered for no reason. As much as I enjoy pvp now and again, I NEVER want to be forced to move from my home again, and if full pvp was reinstated, I know for a fact that I would not be the only victim of such happenings.

If you want hardcore pvp where you can destroy someone's home just for kicks, please go go epic, I've had my fill of having my walls knocked down. If you're not willing to defend yourself when you leave your deed, and dont want anyone to be able to kill you unless you give them permission, please go to freedom, where you must be challeneged to a duel before being killed. If you are like me, and enjoy pvp off deed but do not want to face the prospect of your home being destroyed, please speak up, we need you to voice your opinion.

I hope we all find what we are looking for.

Peak of 88 people? I must not be reading the graph right. I remember a point during the WL war there were 200 people on.

The bit of info being left out is the data points on the year-to-date graph are the average for an entire 24 hour period.

Even if they server peaked to 200, if the peak was only a short period and the rest of the day the population was low (ie not playing, sleeping, living) then the average for the day would come out much lower. The raw data shows that the absolute highest number of players ever online in the past year was around 170, and even that is only the population at the time the server logged it, and may not be the actual peak.

I like this drastically more! This allows for noobs to prepare for the war rather than being forced into it. ..However, a number closer to 20 seems more reasonable?

I like this drastically more! This allows for noobs to prepare for the war rather than being forced into it. ..However, a number closer to 20 seems more reasonable?

You're probably right, I am open to the idea of different numbers, which could be discussed, but I would say no less then 20.

You're probably right, I am open to the idea of different numbers, which could be discussed, but I would say no less then 20.

Also allows people to go out, kill people, raid their deeds cause they weren't scared and allowed their deed to be "raidable" and they can't retaliate because that person is a carebear and ran back to their "protected" deed. -1 stupidest idea everrr...

We tried to reach out to others, only to be betrayed many times.

My sides, they hurt.  Oh god, can't.. stop.. laughing. 

Sorry, I mean I am trying to keep on topic here, and I understand your point of wanting PvP outside of deeds, but I don't really understand why there was a need to share a horribly bias and inaccurate telling of events of BL on the server.  Granted opinions and stories differ depending on who you are, and what village you're in, but I can barely agree to half of that.  I'm not going to nitpick and quote every sentence for the sake of arguing, but that truly just made me laugh out loud several times. 

you left out the part where you cried on vent (literally) after we told you your defense idea was stupid and they would use it against us

they did, too, but you had rage quit by that time and left the village to be defended by people who didn't even live there

Tintin, the whole point of people being able to turn off pvp on their deed is that they will not be able to be raided when they cannot retaliate. Do you honestly think that if a group from a large village raids a small village that the small village will be able to retaliate? The small villages cannot retaliate, the option to refrain from pvp on deed is to protect people like that, and if you don't like to be raided or you want time to repair, simply toggle the pvp option. Chaos is meant to be a pvp lite version, I still hold to my post that I do not think all deeds should be forced to allow pvp. As long as that is hanging over the heads of anyone who lives on Chaos, the server population will never grow substantially. It may grow for a while, but there will not be a steady influx of new players, and many players currently on Chaos will probably leave.

Chaos is supposed to be a pvp lite server, and of all the lite pvpers I've spoken to, they would rather not pvp at all then run the risk of losing their homes.

This recent discussion I think highlights one of the issues that Wild had, and something that might come back to haunt Epic, and that is you are precluded from setting up your own village because you have no hope of defending it, so you join a kingdom, and get bored quickly because you don't have the same flexibility to play the game your way, and because of this, only the hard-core PVPs hang around long-term.

Marienara's suggestion at least would allow that flexibility and would see more people in wild as a result.  It won't happen, of course, but I don't think it is a bad idea myself, on reflection.

I do rather like Marienara's idea, and it's rather simple. Deeds are safe. Roaming is dangerous. Pvp everywhere and if you want war, make war.

I think Rolf should consider this.

I really like the idea of protected deeds.

To prevent abuse make it so that citizens of a protected deed can't raid (or better yet, loose reputation and get kicked out of the deed.)

And if you your citizens just raided someone, you can't protect your deed for a while.

Also, just got a great idea:

Make it so that Protection is limited, somewhat like sleep bonus, just with a different weighting:

When you make a deed you get one month of protection, that you can use whenever you want. (mostly for the innitial setup)

To gain another week of protection you have to leave your deed open for a day.

You can gather a maximum of three month protection.

That way you can take a break/go on vacation without fear of loosing your deed, but you can't hide indefinately.

I really like the idea of protected deeds.

To prevent abuse make it so that citizens of a protected deed can't raid (or better yet, loose reputation and get kicked out of the deed.)

And if you your citizens just raided someone, you can't protect your deed for a while.

Also, just got a great idea:

Make it so that Protection is limited, somewhat like sleep bonus, just with a different weighting:

When you make a deed you get one month of protection, that you can use whenever you want. (mostly for the innitial setup)

To gain another week of protection you have to leave your deed open for a day.

You can gather a maximum of three month protection.

That way you can take a break/go on vacation without fear of loosing your deed, but you can't hide indefinately.

+1 - I like the idea

Sounds like a good idea, though you could disband the deed and put a new one down and get infinite protection (well at least until you think your defenses are done).

I like the idea of taking a rep hit and getting kicked out of your deed if you raid someone else and your deed does not have pvp enabled.

I do not like the idea of limiting the protection. No one should be forced to expose their deed for any length of time if they feel they cannot protect themselves. (If you have more then 20 people in your village, you should be more then capable of protecting yourselves, or at least hiring someone to protect you.)

My only other suggestion is that if someone's rep gets low enough, they are kicked to the Epic server as part of the BL nation, just as it used to be.

My only other suggestion is that if someone's rep gets low enough, they are kicked to the Epic server as part of the BL nation, just as it used to be.

with skill reset, and everything?

Harsh.

Harsh.

/serious face

Well Makarus, if my understanding is correct, the only time they would take a rep hit would be if they were raiding deeds that had pvp disabled, or they have pvp disabled on their deed and raid someone elses, which to me would say that they really want the kind of game play available on epic. I would think it would be kind of Rolf to save them the trouble of building a portal or swimming.

/end serious face

p.s. sorry, I just couldn't help myself, I laughed a bit when I wrote that, I'm not vindictive, but if you break the rules, there needs to be a real punishment of some sort.

Harsh.

/serious face

Well Makarus, if my understanding is correct, the only time they would take a rep hit would be if they were raiding deeds that had pvp disabled, or they have pvp disabled on their deed and raid someone elses, which to me would say that they really want the kind of game play available on epic. I would think it would be kind of Rolf to save them the trouble of building a portal or swimming.

/end serious face

p.s. sorry, I just couldn't help myself, I laughed a bit when I wrote that, I'm not vindictive, but if you break the rules, there needs to be a real punishment of some sort.

Um.. No.. epic and freedom are two different things. Ones softcore ones hardcore. Freedom w/PvP (even without to a degree) is hardcore. Epic is straight softcore and is two completely different play styles. All I hear from you is that your a carebear who wants protection on a PvP server and you want anyone that can destroy you exiled to a whole nother server.

Close this thread already its completely ran its course 20 pages ago....

Harsh.

/serious face

/end serious face

Um.. No.. epic and freedom are two different things. Ones softcore ones hardcore. Freedom w/PvP (even without to a degree) is hardcore. Epic is straight softcore and is two completely different play styles. All I hear from you is that your a carebear who wants protection on a PvP server and you want anyone that can destroy you exiled to a whole nother server.

Close this thread already its completely ran its course 20 pages ago....

I actually feel this thread is being productive.