Sign in to follow this  
bobbarkeralt

star wars the old republic free for you!

SWTOR will be free this Friday - Monday (16th - 19th) no payment plan info needed or anything. So for those of you looking to try it out here's your shot!

The constant - Empire - Macho (if you have questions or need help)

Enjoy!

For the single player? amazing (mass effect ish)

For the MMO?  . WoW clone minus the good parts of WoW. very un polished really.  Unbalanced PvP. Easy PvE. :(

But, if you loved KotOR.. you should probably play through TOR at least once.

my 2 cents

awful game from an awful developer

Baldurs gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Kotor come from this so called awful developer....fail troll is fail.

me and my brother tried it for a couple of weeks and sadly couldnt get into it, it just came across as another wow clone, the only really good thing about it is the fact its star wars and we found it interesting. Just not a game i would play.

Minus the cartoonyish graphics I don't see the wow clone idea people have for it. If anything its a eq/gw/swg clone. But maybe that's because that's the mmo formula, like shooters, take what worked for competitors and implement it.

Regardless free starts tomorrow so if anyone rolls empire and needs help on flashpoints just send me a I'M.

It's a great game during the level-up process; BioWare is good at telling stories.  The controls felt a little kludgy initially when compared to WoW, but they were similar to other MMOs.  It doesn't take long to get used to the feel though.  The voice-over and cutscenes are really nice, and really makes you feel like you're experiencing the content.

Replayability is low, however, for the same reasons the game is so good during the first time through.  While each class story is different, you're still running through the same locales and the same side-quests.  Because of the voice-over and cutscenes, it's harder to just click through repeat quests like you can on a WoW or other game.  Mashing the spacebar through cutscenes helps, but isn't enough.

If you can get it on the cheap (such as free), it's definitely worth it just for the story.

Agreed first run through was great. Second one I only watch videos for the main quests and later zones (voss has an awesome story line) it still amazes me how many voice actors they got you never go to one zone hear a guy then go to the next swearing he's the same guy. The class quests are pretty challenging later which makes the leveling more enjoyable.

I do throughly enjoy the pvp system. Its not completely balanced but its pretty damn close for only going in on 3rd month from launch.

The pve content just keeps rolling it. Started easy (since no one had gear) but is progressing to a challenge with hardmodes.

All in all this will keep me entertained to and through the release of diablo 3 on may 15th:-)

awful game from an awful developer

Baldurs gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Kotor come from this so called awful developer....fail troll is fail.

YrCmI.png

xlarge.jpg

13269842930005dkw9.png

biodrone

My list of games didn't include mass effect 3 ::) nor do I think it was really that great of a rpg.

But I'm sure any game you truly dive deep enough into you will see alot of corner cutting to get a product done with minimal effort by any developer. Stock photos have been used for years by game developers.

On a side note, how bout we start a why bioware sucks forum section so norad has some space to post his thoughts instead of wasting them here where I have come to share info for people looking to give a free shot at a game. Just an idea.

boy howdy you sound mad.

I'll throw you a bone and say bioware was okay before EA took them over.  anyone who gives them money now just encourages bad devlopment.

Not mad, just amazed at inconsiderate people  ::)

EA isn't whats killing bioware, its mainstream and pressure. People expect too much from games now so employees and companies are seeing the ramifications of 1 bad game (THQ and UDraw for example).

boy howdy you sound mad.

I'll throw you a bone and say bioware was okay before EA took them over.  anyone who gives them money now just encourages bad devlopment.

I think people who pay money do so because they enjoy the game. I don't understand how people who don't enjoy a game care more about it than those who do, haha.

I for one find that SWTOR and Mass Effect are fun enough to justify the price, and I'll play as long as that holds true. Anyone who complicates that is getting far too serious about something as un-serious as a video game.

EA isn't whats killing bioware, its mainstream and pressure.

No.

Look at Valve and their track record. Quality > Quantity. And how many times do you think Gabe Newell (founder/ceo of Valve who replies to all his mail, cool guy) has replied to the question 'When is HL2:EP3 coming?' a day? Same stream, same pressure.

Look at Arenanet. NCSoft wanted Guild Wars 2 out over 2 years ago. Arenanet told them no, it wouldn't be a good game if they did that. You know how many nerds, including myself, want to play that game? Same stream, same pressure.

The list goes on and on and on. And you want to say that it's OUR fault that Bioware are producing BAD games? The games Bioware have produced in the past 2 years have been of appauling quality.

Dragon Age 2 is easily the biggest flop of 2011. AWESOME BUTTON, QUALITY graphics and textures, dat writing and a complete disengagement from the first game left it hollow, unenjoyable and a bad game.

SWtOR is very much the same. Are you blind to the controversy surrounding it? People were BANNED for going in higher level areas than they are, no joke. After the first month that came free with the game, they temporarily removed the ability to revoke your subscription on their website. Cool, huh? The animations and actual quality of the game haven't improved at all over the 2003 KotOR. The game will be dead in a year, just like every other pay per month mmo since WoW came out.

Mass Effect 3 has 90% of Bioware Forum goers signing a petition for a new ending. 90%. Of their forum. That is how bad the ending to that game is. It's a complete cop-out and ripped straight from Deus Ex. On-Disc DLC. Tali's face reveal is a poorly shopped stock image and

Stock photos have been used for years by game developers.

NO buddy, most developers do NOT use stock images especially not FOR A MAIN GODDAMN CHARACTER THAT PEOPLE WAITED YEARS FOR THE REVEAL OF. Did Valve use stock images for HL? Do THQ use stock images for Assassins Creed? Do Ubisoft use stock images for Splinter Cell?

But I'm sure any game you truly dive deep enough into you will see alot of corner cutting to get a product done with minimal effort by any developer.

Go ahead. Delve into any game from Ubisoft, Valve, Arenanet, CDProject, Supergiant Games or Naughtydog from the past few years and tell me they come even close to the level of sheer carelessness that Bioware have approached their latest games with.

I was a big fan of bioware once. KotOR, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate are all fantastic games. I even liked the first Dragon Age and though I wasn't too impressed with Mass Effect, it was still alright and I looked forward to seeing how it would unfold. But after Dragon Age 2, ME 3 and SWtOR, they've proven they're nothing like they once were. You can make excuses and justify your purchase all day long, but you know just as well as I do that what you're playing is at best a shadow of what it should have been and at worst a mockery and bioware shovelling  at us as fast as they can manage.

Did you know they told reviewers for both Dragon Age 2 and SWtOR that if they didn't give the game at least an 80, they would withhold Mass Effect 3 review copies?

Since this thread is about SWTOR, and not EA/BioWare-bashing in general, I'll just say that if you treat SWTOR as a single-player story game, with optional inclusion of other people, it's a great game.  Not worth the full price, which will include a couple months subscription to finish the storylines, but still a great game.  If you have an itch for a themepark-style game, check SWTOR out.

It falls flat when the single-player/optional multi-player aspect ends, and you pretty much only have multi-player content left.  PvP is better than other three-month old games, but how many times can you play Huttball before you want to do something else?

Ultimately, I canceled my sub because the themepark style of games holds less and less appeal for me as time moves on.  Yes, I left SWTOR to play Wurm.  :)

boy howdy you sound mad.

I think people who pay money do so because they enjoy the game. I don't understand how people who don't enjoy a game care more about it than those who do, haha.

I for one find that SWTOR and Mass Effect are fun enough to justify the price, and I'll play as long as that holds true. Anyone who complicates that is getting far too serious about something as un-serious as a video game.

because

anyone who gives them money now just encourages bad devlopment.

biodrones

I want to see them make the good games they are capable of, not a bunch of garbage to make a quick buck