Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Public announcment: The slaying of Erik the Red Dragon # Attempt 2 - Failed

My observation was that Rolf ninja-changed something or messed something up unintentionally again. We got crowded messages after 10+ people, I doubt 10 fighters can kill a red dragon.

(but yes, it is amazing how bad people are at following simple orders)

haven't extensively tested, but i've noticed something like this with a cavebug and spider.. was over at a neighbors and they're relatively new players so went to help them clear the mobs outta the mine.  cavebug runs up and attacks one of 'em (82faith fo priest - they ignore me)... and i go to attack it and it says something about there not being enough room to attack it.  With just two players already fighting it, no tower guards or anything else.  Then a bit later one of the two finds a spider and there's no problem with all 3 of us hitting it.  But i do remember a while back (not exactly when)... there not being a problem with 3 ppl attacking a cavebug..

Hi Bonefly,

It wasn't down to the organisers why we failed. The 'Crowding' system has been tweaked since the previous dragon attempts. You used to be able to get between 30-40 people attacking one creature before you got 'It's too crowded'.

If we could attack with additional people it would have been killed without a doubt.

Thanks WhyKillMe for putting up with the stress of commanding 70+ people what to do. I know it's not an easy task when nobody listens haha.

Hi Bonefly,

It wasn't down to the organisers why we failed. The 'Crowding' system has been tweaked since the previous dragon attempts. You used to be able to get between 30-40 people attacking one creature before you got 'It's too crowded'.

If we could attack with additional people it would have been killed without a doubt.

Thanks WhyKillMe for putting up with the stress of commanding 70+ people what to do. I know it's not an easy task when nobody listens haha.

Thanks.

I'm a bit dissapointed and Sad by the way things had to go.

It was gonna look and be fun, everyone was excited... finding out the dragon was crowded when theres just 10 silly people attacking while at had 79 in local, thats no fun...

I tried to split up the group after nobody would listen, and it still didn't work out, using gems to heal and smite it just wouldn't go down..

Thanks everyone for showing up and giving it a try, sucks that it has to go this way and many people have died once or several times, sorry.

I hope we can have a better try next time.. when things are fixed :(

Really well organised. However we got screwed over by change of code which allowed only 10 people to attack at one given moment.

I agree with MD, the ninja nerf on targeting limit seemed to be the cause .while it was quite hectic with 70+ players at one point. WKM was gave quite clear commands and did the decisions once the fight got going.

I was just a healer so was kicked out (for experiments) when we started noticing problems but i stayed to watch it was fun for the first bit and became frustrating afterwards but did not ruin the experience completely just for a few min. Sometimes i did think it was a waste of time but i have decided it was not since i haven't been to a big event like this before and i got some great screenshots of the dragon. also im disappointed that some people messed about too much and did not back out not immediately but at least in a few seconds ,not after a bunch of yelling.

thx to the organizers :)

I found it to be pretty well organized. There's always people who don't listen to what the organizers want, so they did their best to make everything work. Everything that has been needed was provided by them, so I can't complain.

The only thing that made it fail was the fact that we couldn't attack with more than 10 people at a time, as other's stated already. We had the best fighters on it and still we couldn't manage to cause more than 30-40 damage at any given time before it healed back massively.

For many days and nights the fiercest warriors of the Freedom Isles gathered and stood tall against the indomitable Erik.

Erik.jpg

But I think we all know which wallet his is  ;D

Always good times at these events, thanks for organising WKM.  One day he'll see his last sunrise.

I bet Rolf nerfed crowding just to keep Erik alive, and now that the attempt has failed the crowding system will be put back as normal XD

bad luck, might join you next time, assuming more than 10 can attack at any one time.

Or if not, go for the top 10 fs first? Just an idea, but requires a lot of management. Well done everyone who attended

Hope the next try goes better, one thing about wurm players is that they are persistent and creative, so I have no fear he will fall in time. May just require some puzzle work.

Great Sunday afternoon entertainment, even got a chance to shake my Pompoms  :D

Great Sunday afternoon entertainment, even got a chance to shake my Pompoms  :D

And laugh at me being the first death.

Bahahahahahahahaha

Ah pff, just a minor setback. Next time he's toast.

While it's easy to attack the organizers over this... the truth is, there was something screwy going on that they had no way of knowing about before hand.

I got a swing or two in; here and there, maybe one miss before they ordered everyone off. So I pulled back, later they split us alphabetically, then I went in on the a-m squad... still, couple misses. Ha.

Thing is, this is a tough beast, the strongest in Wurm.

With the screwy crowding going on - I didn't even get a message stating it was too crowded, it just didn't act like I was in combat... I saw many people saying the same thing. My few misses were a surprise.

We may have been doomed from the get go. We had similar crowding issues at the Jobs fair.

All things considered, this was fun.

Thanks to the organizers, the host, and the people who have maintained this pen. All of this hard work will pay off soon.

Count me in on the next attempt.

I'm wondering if the targeting message is in error.  I was constantly able to go in and target the dragon and get a fight started.  I'd right click and select target, then move about until the fight window opened, then adjust my range.  I managed to retarget every time, even after 2 deaths and rebooting my PC.  I got the error message when I selected target, but moving about always got me a position where I could start swinging.

Anyway, hope this gets sorted out and we try again real soon.  I'm going to use two handed weapons from now on just to skill up and be better prepared next time.

Was good fun to try even though the code did hold us back. The final attempt i think we managed to get it to about 55% health with only ten attackers so i'd say we did pretty well under the cicumstances. With a few more people able to actually get into combat with Erik he would have died easily.

Hoping Rolf fixes that soon so we can take another crack at him, myself and the other MR are gonna hang about on our Independence deed for now in the hope that that happens :)

Also big thanks to WKM for the organising and attempts to control near on 80 people, many of whom just simply COULD NOT follow simple instructions haha.

You're going down next time Erik, just you wait and see ;)

Was good fun to try even though the code did hold us back. The final attempt i think we managed to get it to about 55% health with only ten attackers so i'd say we did pretty well under the cicumstances. With a few more people able to actually get into combat with Erik he would have died easily.

Hoping Rolf fixes that soon so we can take another crack at him, myself and the other MR are gonna hang about on our Independence deed for now in the hope that that happens :)

Also big thanks to WKM for the organising and attempts to control near on 80 people, many of whom just simply COULD NOT follow simple instructions haha.

You're going down next time Erik, just you wait and see ;)

he's not goin anywhere:D ,anyway good job every1 for trying and hope rolf fixes it soon because i'm dieing to see him dead:),already did twice :))

bahahahaha I won me a few silvers tonight. Good try.

ppst. told you brqqq and pastila or w/e your name is.

This was my 2nd attempt on this red dragon and I'm sad to say that it was another missed opportunity.

It's not good enough to simply put all the blame on game mechanics when we are partially responsible for not being aware of it in the first place and although we had high hopes in the beginning, we were simply not prepared enough. We should use this as an opportunity to learn from our mistakes so that we are more prepared next time. I also believe that some things could've been done differently or handled better.

Not long ago, it was possible to do a roll call and throw everyone onto a unique all at once, hoping for the best. Times have changed. We need to adapt and play smarter.

I hope organisers of any slaying events in future from here on will be aware of this and will spend more time planning on how to defeat uniques instead of discussing the rewards simply because there are no rewards in failure.

Easier to adapt if there was some documentation about ninja changes like this. No way you'd know that the targeting limit was changed unless you threw the people at it in the first place. All in all, we had a decent go at it the second time but because we'd used up a lot of mats/favour already it wasn't good enough.

The targeting system has been known and anybody who has been at any of any unique slaying knows or at least should know that its been like this. This isn't a "ninja" change. Believe it or not it has been this way for a very long time.

Pay attention to your fights, the game is not as easy as stand there and watch a combat log scroll by. Fighting this unique requires a dance and if you don't know the dance your bound to stumble.

The targeting system has been known and anybody who has been at any of any unique slaying knows or at least should know that its been like this. This isn't a "ninja" change. Believe it or not it has been this way for a very long time.

Pay attention to your fights, the game is not as easy as stand there and watch a combat log scroll by. Fighting this unique requires a dance and if you don't know the dance your bound to stumble.

Are you stupid? Ofc we know there is a limit.... But not that the.limt went from 30/40 people down to 10.. Jeez man go away, its also abput the fun, bigger event more fun, now only 10 ppl an have an event