Sign in to follow this  
Guest Docterchese

New Boat Speed Testing

Boat speeds are finally fixed and work with adding more passengers now. But we don't yet know how much boat speeds have been affected, and so this is the thread to find that out. If you have a boat and are journeying please post below what maximum speeds you get with different numbers of players. To find the maximum speed you need to be going downwind and in a gale. It doesn't have to be super-accurate, just accurate enough for us to see a pattern if there is one. Please post as many results as possible, this will help to iron out errors and give us a better understanding of the changes.

I also think it would be interesting to see how much the update affects upwind speeds, feel free to try that too. I know that most boats went painfully slow before when solo and upwind, anything better is good! I had someone say that they got 24km/h in a small sailing boat with 2 people in, of which sail boats only hit 18km/h solo. A 33% increase is definately something to look into ;)

The data gathered from this will be added to the wiki (by me) and probably put into graph format. Hopefully there's a nice and simple pattern ::)

Thanks in advance!!

One person makes a pretty big difference, almost too much difference.  I usually command a Knarr for PvP purposes, and I found about 1 person adds on about 0.60km/hr faster.  You can really now properly catch up to people if you have more numbers, which is a much needed update to the game for PvPers.  On a full knarr it maxes out a little above 30km/hr in a gale (and going with the wind).  Even in a light breeze and going against the wind a full knarr will still hit about 12-15km/hr. 

Even in a light breeze and going against the wind a full knarr will still hit about 12-15km/hr. 

Like is should. Me = Pleased.

Boat speeds are finally fixed

Do cogs and corbitas still move 1km/h in light breeze and against the stronger wind? In that case they are hardly fixed at all.

It doesn't make much sense to me that a cog goes 1km/h in a slight breeze, but if I log in 8 free alts and have them be passengers on my cog (remember they don't need to stay logged in) my cog travels 9km/h instead?

...but if I log in 8 free alts and have them be passengers on my cog (remember they don't need to stay logged in) my cog travels 9km/h instead?

This needs to be fixed, I could just make a bunch of f2p alts where I am on MRH and log them off on my boats, and any time any enemy are on the server I can just hop on and zoom after them?  That's not fair use of game mechanics at all.

When people log off in the boat my speed goes down.  Even when they're still there logged off as passenger, the speed still decreases once they leave the world. 

Boat speeds are finally fixed

Do cogs and corbitas still move 1km/h in light breeze and against the stronger wind? In that case they are hardly fixed at all.

It doesn't make much sense to me that a cog goes 1km/h in a slight breeze, but if I log in 8 free alts and have them be passengers on my cog (remember they don't need to stay logged in) my cog travels 9km/h instead?

Please try to inform yourself before inventing non existant "abuses".

it seems alot better BUT we noticed something...

4 people in a sailboat were going faster than 7 in a knarr, knarrs are ment to be have a faster base speed than sailboats arent they? if so we should have caught them up in no time but the only reason we did was they made a few mistakes on taccing

In that case on JKH they were going into wind.  (Gale), which slowed you, but it slows a sailboat less. 

I tested it the first day with my only alt. I sailed faster with him logged out than without him in the boat, maybe it got changed.

Still I hardly consider boat speeds fixed unless someone can confirm that you move faster than 1km/h in corbitas/cog in bad winds.

Until then it just looks like another fix only intended to benefit PvP players.

In that case on JKH they were going into wind.  (Gale), which slowed you, but it slows a sailboat less.

Going into the wind because bigger boats slow down more, but in the case of a knarr that doesnt make much sense, because it's mainly powered by rowing?

Still I hardly consider boat speeds fixed unless someone can confirm that you move faster than 1km/h in corbitas/cog in bad winds.

You do when they are full. Big boats arent supposed to be for one person.

You do when they are full. Big boats arent supposed to be for one person.

If big boats weren't meant for one person Rolf would have made it a requirement to have x amount of passengers.

Playability beats realism at times and speeds on boats is one of those areas. If we went for realism here a cogs would require a lot more people to sail than the few people it can carry now.

Until then it just looks like another fix only intended to benefit PvP players.
Really? How could this NOT benefit people sailing around Freedom too. Sailing from the East server border of Serenity to the West server border of Desertion isn't even close to as far as the furthest distance to travel on Freedom (NE Inde to SW Chaos). I've sailed West coast of Chaos to West coast of Deli 4 times now (all before the update). With a NErly gale, it took me 1.5 hours to cross from Deli to home. Going the other way took me 6 hours... If I can shave a couple of hours off that with more pasengers, I'll be a VERY happy bunny.

ahh ok my bad

I made 15,70 km/h on a rowboat with only 1 passenger. It was with a gale. solo was about 11/12. Which is weird since rowboat is not supposed to get any benefit from wind. Reported to gm as an oddity.

I appreciate the speed fix to boats but I think it require a little more attention. It deserves this after so many years with broken speeds.

Some of my own testing - I got 8.5km/h into the wind in a light breeze solo in a small sailing boat, before it only got 6.5 or 5.5km/h I think!

Speeds appear to have increased across the board.

My findings coincide with Postes's, each passenger seems to add .4-.6km/h each, in the case of corb and cog.  Solo speeds undoubtedly improved for both, but only by around 2km/h; the main difference is that now, solo sailboats are slowest downwind in a gale now compared to larger boats with or without crew, which is as it should be.  Upwind and in light wind, sailboats will likely continue to dominate with crew, but a full knarr would be theoretically nuts (I wonder if that's what BL was up to earlier, eh? lol). 

In a lighter wind/breeze when traveling downwind, a larger ship with crew seems to have a fair advantage against a sailboat, but it still turns like a bag of bricks on square wheels.  Overall, other than the previously mentioned rowboat issues (which I've not taken the time to test yet), speeds seem to be fairly balanced now to something that makes sense, for once.

Now if we could get some other niceties on ships, or maybe at least work out a way to allow the commander to access larger ships' holds... then we'd have us a start on naval content finally! :)

Thanks for the findings Nitara!! I've seen similar things to what you describe myself and so has Postes.

One thing that is lacking is maximum speeds, with a full crew?

Sailing boat:

[table]

[tr]

[td]Passengers[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]5[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Tail gale[/td][td]18.85[/td][td]20.03[/td][td]21.70[/td][td]23.19[/td][td]24.66[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Against gale[/td][td]8.13[/td][td]9.55[/td][td]10.92[/td][td]12.45[/td][td]13.92[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]90 degrees against gale[/td][td]13.57[/td][td]15.03[/td][td]16.60[/td][td]17.90[/td][td]19.40[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Anyone came up with the same ?

I'll do my cog next.

PS: Here's an interesting factor, a 5 crew sailing boat is better against a gale than tacking it at +-45 degrees.

Sailing boat:

[table]

[tr]

[td]Passengers[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]5[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Tail gale[/td][td]18.85[/td][td]20.03[/td][td]21.70[/td][td]23.19[/td][td]24.66[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Against gale[/td][td]8.13[/td][td]9.55[/td][td]10.92[/td][td]12.45[/td][td]13.92[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]90 degrees against gale[/td][td]13.57[/td][td]15.03[/td][td]16.60[/td][td]17.90[/td][td]19.40[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Anyone came up with the same ?

I'll do my cog next.

PS: Here's an interesting factor, a 5 crew sailing boat is better against a gale than tacking it at +-45 degrees.

Fantastic research!! I wish I had access to enough people to get results like that x)

And this "a 5 crew sailing boat is better against a gale than tacking it at +-45 degrees" is hugely significant... ;D

I took my cog out in a gale the other day and with 2 people heading directly downwind I was gettting about 32km/h, see how close to that you can get.

Actually if the new_speed/old_speed  > 1.43 , then it is optimal to tack. If not, better not tack.

Cog is barelly affected by passengers. Each one adds about 0.1 km/h. Definitelly a waste of ram :)

Can someone confirm that a knarr does 12-15 upwind breeze solo ?

Cog is barelly affected by passengers. Each one adds about 0.1 km/h. Definitelly a waste of ram :)

Can confirm this too. In my cog I noticed pretty much no difference from adding players.

I'd like to echo Postes's sentiments. Seems to be about .60 km/h difference when adding one passenger, I can't speak for more. Also, logging that person out on the boat does indeed decrease the speed.