Sign in to follow this  
JontomXire

Skip option for tutorial

It's not that people are really opposed to alts, but I believe alt usage isn't an officially supported feature so people (myself included) don't think it's right to spend developer time on actively making alt creation easier. The current mindset of many players is probably something like "Alts are a bit of a hassle, I can't be bothered making more than a few" - Which is fine. Accessible to those who really want/need them, but a pain enough to discourage people from making them unnecessarily.

I don't think Rolf really wants to make a final decision either way on permitting or forbidding alt usage (because it would force extra work upon him), so he just chooses to leave it as it is.

Personally, after trying the tutorial as a long term player - I found it long and mundane.  Which I expected fully.

That being said, it doesn't exist for players like me.  I've been playing for well over 4 years, so it couldn't teach me anything I don't already know.  Looking at it with noob eyes, I'd find it to be a helpful resource entirely - and it certainly saves a lot of questions from noob players that are usually met with "read the wiki, ffs" in public chats.  What we (established players) find to be common sense is often a completely foreign concept for people new to Wurm Online.  Every little bit helps new folks.

It is sort of a catch 22, really.  The tutorial serves to educate people brand new to the game, a game that is rather deep in scope - to basic game functions.  So it stands to reason that people with even minimal seat time in the game that it would annoy them, being forced through it.  The tutorial is not there for players with ages of game time in.  Drivers training classes won't serve to do anything to annoy a guy that's been driving for 20 years, but a person that has never driven it is a completely different story in RL comparisons.

The tutorial is not there for people that know how to play already in the least, and IMHO it certainly does help brand new players out with the fundamentals of a game that is rather deep and multi tiered and should not have a skip option.

Shalbriri, you confuse me.

To summarise your post:

Paragraph 1: The tutorial is good for new players.

Paragraph 2: The tutorial is irritating to existing players, it's not for them.

Paragraph 3: The tutorial is not there for existing players but for new players and is good for new players.

From that I would have thought your conclusion would be that existing players should not be forced to do the tutorial, that they should be allowed to skip it - yet your actual conclusion was against the skip option.

Your arguments do not seem to support your conclusion. What did I miss?

Jontom, your thought is irrelevant on what Shalbriri said.

What he said is there should be no option to skip tutorial because its good for new players.

(its another subject to discuss whether or not the tutorial would know the player is or is not a new player, so please... pay attention to details)

What did I miss?

If people can skip it, they will. New players who have the option to skip it will think they don't need the tutorial and can figure the game out without it, which they won't.

So all his text about how the tutorial is irritating to existing players...?

If it wasn't relevant to his argument/conclusion, why post it?

I guess that was why I got confused. Thanks for the clarification.

So all his text about how the tutorial is irritating to existing players...?

If it wasn't relevant to his argument/conclusion, why post it?

I guess that was why I got confused. Thanks for the clarification.

Its to explain understanding to the desire to have it removed by older players, but then clarify why he still wants the turorial to remain unskippable. Sheez, it's not that hard.

It's pretty much a necessary evil.  I've run 4 or 5 alts through it for various reasons,  it's annoying but not OMG I quit annoying.

F2P alt carpet bombing is not a hypothetical scenario,  it's happened before but not since the creation of the tutorial so it's meeting it's intended purpose of providing some introduction to new players while creating a sufficiently high barrier to deter alt spamming.

It's not possible to determine intent, about the best one could do is allow skipping the tutorial if the alt was tied to the email of another account that had X or more days played.  You can't just tie it to email registration date because some folks will register an email and then wait the 2, 3, 6 months.  Sad but true,  never under estimate the lengths some folks will go to be annoying butt munches.

Frankly I'd stick the issue in some queue at priority 3,  it's not effecting day to day game play (priority 1) and isn't an enhancement that will generally improve game play (priority 2).  If it percolates up some day great, otherwise eh.

Yeah I've made 5 toons also and each one of them have had to run trough the tutorial.

The need to have those toons for me personally have been far greater than the "effort" using about 20mins-1h of my time playing them trough the tutorial in an unattended fashion where I was simultaneously playing another toon while at it. Having skip option for tutorial, next thing someone asks will be able to choose where the toon spawns in chosen server?

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a difficult quiz on wurm mechanics if you want to skip.

Like,

How many planks does it take to make a 1x1 house?

a)4

b)50

c)80

d)20

And then

Which of the following in NOT a meditation path

a) Love

B) Power

c) Stealth

d) Hate

Then something really hard like

How many actions could you stack at 30 mind logic?

a) 2

B) 3

c) 5

d) 4

And then simply make it so if you get a single question wrong you fail and have to do the tut.

This seems a good idea  8) as am sick of doing the tutorial as i know what to do but there is some bad point for the noobs if they go (cba am going to skip) then (crap how do i fight) RIP :/ AND SO on and so forth lool  :P

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a difficult quiz on wurm mechanics if you want to skip.

Like,

a)4

b)50

c)80

d)20

Trick question, correct answer is e) none of the above houses should be made of stone.

a) Love

B) Power

c) Stealth

d) Hate

e) Ahhh meditation run.

a) 2

B) 3

c) 5

d) 4

e) 10 but for some reason the last 7 never seem to do anything but create an event message.

And then simply make it so if you get a single question wrong you fail and have to do the tut.

Not a bad idea. 

a) 2

B) 3

c) 5

d) 4

e) 10 but for some reason the last 7 never seem to do anything but create an event message.

Really? lol

Like,

a)4

b)50

c)80

d)20

And then

a) Love

B) Power

c) Stealth

d) Hate

Then something really hard like

a) 2

B) 3

c) 5

d) 4

oh i'd make an alt and sit in gv just to watch noobs if this idea would get implemented but also a better tutorial and more extensve quiz that must be passed by any1 or else repeat the tutorial:D

that way we don't get that many noobs into the game asking realy realy noob questions.

basicaly it would be like :first enter tutorial and given option to take quiz or go trough it,then  another option to take quiz at the end ,whenever u complete it with corect answer u get teleported to the place where u choose which server u wana join.

+1

It's super annoying when making an alt. It could have an "are you sure" popup and an explanation on how to restart if for if a new player realizes they really need it later.

• Like 1