Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Deepwater mining

Atm there exists tools in Wurm to dredge underwater dirt tiles, dig surface dirt tiles, and mine surface rock tiles. However, there is no means to sculpt rock tiles located deep under the universal water level. One possibility of such a Wurm period tool is to borrow a technique that ancient Chinese farmers used to dig water and salt wells through solid rock: percussion drilling.

They would use weighted-wooden shafts fitted with iron points, which would be hoisted up and dropped into the rock. In Wurm the tool could consist of some combination of steel polearm head + rivets + metal sheets + logs + rock shards/bricks + ropes + boards + nails + small wheel axle.

This tool would use the mining skill and function much akin to a dredge, with the exception of leaving the shards to pile on the sea floor.

As long as it comes in conjunction with some way to RAISE the mine floor, so that we can't be griefed too much, then definitely +1

mortar + rock shards tends to be a common suggestion for raising rock tiles.

This is a brilliant idea, save for one thing, mortar doesn't work underwater, so you'd need to choose something else for raising tiles.

But overall, +1

Roman cement... that set in water. Enabled them to build quite a bit including peirs.

you're not trolling?!

and you suggest a brilliant idea!

lol +1

Percussion drilling was the earliest known method for digging wells. Far more effective than digging with handtools (see pickaxe). It was cheaper overall, and the wells could go much further below the watertable. Its so effective, its still used today.

http://www.wellspringafrica.org/drildesc.htm

Atm in Wurm the depth that a dredge can be used is limited by your digging skill and the dredge ql. The same can be used for drilling: mining skill and the drill rig ql.

I am not by any means saying the drill should be able to go hundreds of dirt underwater. The dredge afterall can manage a maximum depth of approximately 180 dirt.

Course this is for just modifying the underwater rock tiles with surface mining; though, it could possibly be extended to prospecting and mining veins. I wonder sometimes what kind of veins sit there out of reach...  :-\

I was going through various ancient drilling and mining techniques, looking for a method that would enable some degree of mining in depths a hand pick cannot. Percussion drilling is easily the least sophisticated technologically while still remaining very effective.

The concept is simple enough to easily fit within Wurm's setting. Its basically the same principle as a pickax: slamming a weighted, hardened point into rock to break off shards. It merely utilizes gravity for greater force.

When you sink a well, you dont just go a little below the water table and call it good. You want it to be significantly deeper to account for annual changes. Let alone taking into account the possibility of the water table suddenly dropping hundreds of feet for various reasons.

Offering Rolf an idea that is modeled on a mining method that took years in real life in some cases seems like a risk of creating a process that will be painfully slow ingame.

Why not use a steel shaft + rope and have a mag priest cast smite on it and drive it into the stone with fantastic force?  Then you haul the steel shaft out of the water with the rope, repair the shaft, and give the mag priest another few locks or another gem, and do it again.  Call the shaft and rope something clever, like a "tethered steel shaft"  Chance of destroying the shaft entirely if it's low quality, and damage per cast should be very high no matter what.  Each cast should make a significant change in surface rock layer.

Doing this outside of the water would be too dangerous - flying rock shards, you know...

Doing this outside of the water would be too dangerous - flying rock shards, you know...

sounds like an overpowered PVP spell to me

Sorry to necro/revive the thread.. but the topic is interesting to me :P

How about something like this...  You create a dedicated staff/rod item that needs to be enchanted/charged to be used.  The Mag priest charges the "rod" with some form of enchant, or give an option to enchant with Smite or disintegrate.

To reduce exploiting:

• The enchant ability is a one time per rod cast/enchant
  • limit the enchant to one cast per day (18 to 24 hours cool-down like Refresh)
  • Provides X number of uses of the rod.(maybe a range of 1-10 uses)
  • Rod is consumed with last use
  • Max depth is based on rod ql and avg of of both digging+mining skills(maybe provide a mod or requirement based on Mind Logic or other attribute)
  • Maintain current surface mining requirements (all corners need to be rock)
  • Min depth should be at least 10 dirt to use and usable only from boats (like the dredge)
  • Shard/ore ql based on rod ql or enchant power level

Just an idea...

The Mag priest charges the "rod" with some form of enchant, or give an option to enchant with Smite or disintegrate.

Max depth is based on rod ql and avg of of both digging+mining skills(maybe provide a mod or requirement based on Mind Logic or other attribute)

Mag priests can't dig, so I don't think mixing digging and mining will work. Why not just stick to dredging for digging and mining for rock?

+1 to drilling

-9999 to make it a magical action

Mag priests can't dig, so I don't think mixing digging and mining will work. Why not just stick to dredging for digging and mining for rock?

Most priests cannot do either, but they can enchant a shovel/dredge to make it faster and/or boost xp.  The item is not intended to allow a priest to do something they should not be able to.  The skill requirement is to help limit the exploitable nature of this type of item.

+1 to drilling

-9999 to make it a magical action

Not sure if you're replying to the item idea or not, so let me explain my reasoning a bit further.

I'm not suggesting it be a magical action/cast (like Disintegrate).  But the casting could be used in the creation of a specific purpose item (like the Lurker series items).

Since we cannot deep water mine now, introducing it as a limited use item limits the initial number of users who can use it, and if they remove the ability to make it for any reason, the items eventually remove themselves as they are used.

Having the enchant requirements just adds an item enchant for mag priests, but as in all ideas, it would be subject to change. ;)

Regards,

-H

I'm not suggesting it be a magical action/cast (like Disintegrate).  But the casting could be used in the creation of a specific purpose item (like the Lurker series items).

Since we cannot deep water mine now, introducing it as a limited use item limits the initial number of users who can use it, and if they remove the ability to make it for any reason, the items eventually remove themselves as they are used.

Having the enchant requirements just adds an item enchant for mag priests, but as in all ideas, it would be subject to change. ;)

I just feel that it would be nice for us non-priests to be able to do this without paying someone for it, since we already gotta get a mag priest or a paid item for fixing just about everything else in mines lol :P

I just feel that it would be nice for us non-priests to be able to do this without paying someone for it, since we already gotta get a mag priest or a paid item for fixing just about everything else in mines lol :P

Indeed, no more payments.

Ah... I should have separated this item from the priest item idea more clearly.  Allow me to clarify, the item would be usable by anyone, (barring priests not allowed to mine), like a pickax.  Think of it as the mining version of a dredge.

Enchanting it isn't really needed, the enchant/charged portion idea was just a way to keep them from being mass produced or used without regulation.  While I've not seen every one of them, a lot of water front deeds I have explored do not cover a large portion of the water area since it's not currently useful as a ore/shard source.

In an effort of full disclosure, I do have a water front deed with roughly 45-49% (13x10) of the 29x21 deed is water tiles, so I know they are out there, just not seeing a lot of them.  Maybe on Chaos/epic where there is PVP, this is a norm for water front deeds?

Since we cannot do this at all right now, with a paid item or not, any items to allow deep water mining would be an improvement for those who want to be able to deep water mine.