Sign in to follow this  
Fezdani

Wildcats in the sandbox

a great sandbox game is a nice balance of realism and fantasy.  For ease of play, but still holds challenges and freedom under certain constraints that make the player feel as if what they do actually matters.

Honestly I agree with most of these arguments. though the EASY counter argument is "Oh its a game yaddah yaddah". The same argument again stories and movies when something very silly happens.

It is a valid argument, but it isn't very constructive in this case.  Its kind of a douchey argument, it basically says "I disagree with you HAHA loser, time to attempt to make you feel stupid."

The arguments that the OP has made toward wurm, all feel pretty true to me.  The magical disapearence of tool parts when putting items together.

"scrap iron"

The weird way of mining effecting lump quality.

Polishing scalding hot metal with a pelt.

Etc.

Why not have lump quality be determined by smithing or metalurgy or some new skill as the OP alluded to.

But, countering that, changing the way things are done could over complicate things. Though IMO it wouldnt complicate it anymore than it is.  It would just change it, and probably a lot.  And kids around these parts don't take kindly to change. (lol...)

The current crafting system works, even if it is counter-realistic at times.  And probably doesn't need these changes.  But I would love to see a wurm-esque game that had these steps toward realism.

And to that guy that argued the OP was complaining about realism and then "wants to be able to magically move items from one container to the other"... That guy is an idiot. And apparently has never lifted anything with his hands IRL and needs to learn better posting habits instead of just instantly arguing against an OP solely because opinions differ.  But this is the Wurm forums, what am I thinking?

With all due respect, Alyeska, I'm not sure you put a great deal of effort into comprehending my post.

The hypocrisy in it is what turns me off. So you can say you want to tear holes into a game when someone else says they dont like another game? And then you call them a hypocrit?

So what. You come into a game's official forum and start complaining about the game and how you hate it how people talk well about it because they love it? And you assume your posts do have any sign of intelligence in them and complain that people shoot you down for it? The hell, I'm amazed. You either are a pretty good troll or extremely naive. If the former, I have to applaud you.

I mean, it's absolutely ok to not like Wurm at all. It's your right to hate it. But give people here a break. You wouldn't be able to do what you did here in any other game's official forum, either.

If you want to blow off some steam, you gotta stand the heat that comes with it. It's just like that.

Why did a member of the dev team re-post this, is the question.

You don't like the game, fine, why does someone apparently with implied extra credability re-post it, without clarifying what the purpose was, which I still can't see.  Cranky doesn't like wurm much; ok, sucks for him to have to play it then, but so what?

I don't understand why you guys are getting your panties in a bunch because someone wrote a review that is not sucking up to the game. I don't agree blindly with it, but i can at least see the humor in it.

While I dont agree with everything the OP says, albiet I still havnt comprehended entirely the repost and what actually was put into context nor taken out of context.  I think I understand the basics of what the OP was trying to get across.. If I understand the underlying basics then ill agree with the poster/emailer.

I see alot of games come and go and deal with a pretty big % of these games in 1 form or another.  Ive seen extremely good games all the way down to the games where you just want to ask the creative team or dev.. what the .... were you thinking.

The thing that shocks me when I compare any of the spectrum to wurm is that something isnt working right for wurm, its far far better than the bottom of the spectrum, yet we have marketed some of the lower end games that still to this day hold more premium members than in some cases wurm has in its lifetime.  on that same comparative scale, it plays out in alot of way nearer the middle to upper end spectrum and really should be holding alot more premiums than it does (I have a feeling when the devs figure this out, they will do great things with the game) 

Whenever I look at how wurm is doing I get this mental picture in my head of a train going up a very steep hill (little engine that could if you will)  but behind it I see the "fans/fanbois" of wurm pulling with all thier might on a rope hooked to the train.  Its like all the fans know where the game could go, yet are doing everything to not let the "train" get to the top of that mountain.

Hopefully, one day.. Rolf, the conductor will see this and cut that rope  ;)

have marketed some of the lower end games that still to this day hold more premium members than in some cases wurm has in its lifetime.

Wurm has to this day never been marketed.

Hopefully, one day.. Rolf, the conductor will see this and cut that rope  ;)

Or give them rollerblades, which would be a better solution.

Better to pull some fans than to loose 'dead weight' which you might need later on.

have marketed some of the lower end games that still to this day hold more premium members than in some cases wurm has in its lifetime.

Wurm has to this day never been marketed.

It actually has been marketed, just not on a large scale.  We did a test run to try and find a rough flip percentage as well as a rough retention percent.  Currently we have one other small scale ongoing as our original flip numbers were very hard to track.  We also have done a phase test.    (flip = f2p converting to paying customers) (retention = paying customers buying a 2nd round of premium)

currently we would advise against doing anything large scale, however if our next wave comes back positive we will be in touch with Rolf and proceed from there.  In the meantime, some of the fans need to let the train get on up over that hill.

The reason I posted it with permission, is because I thought it was amusing. It is satire, it was funny to me.

Anyone who takes offence, sorry. But I'm not going to get into arguments and nit-pick over specifics.

To be honest, I never expected a war of words to erupt. It was not my intention.

@ all

oh, it only was a little satire not more. so dont be so rude against the comments from fezdani and cranky.

btw....there is a sandbox-game which have nice craftings too! its called "a tale in the desert".

The first post, was kinda funny to read. The second post from Cranky himself was rather rude.

The first post, was kinda funny to read. The second post from Cranky himself was rather rude.

He's Cranky.

He's Cranky.

Yes, he sure is ;p.

*agrees*

Cranky did tarnish the original post by his negativity. I almost have a hard time believing that the original "quoted" post was made by the same person, as his later comments exhibit none of the creative aspects of objections to some Wurm's time consuming actions to achieve end results.

=Ayes=