Sign in to follow this  
Theimp

Exodus Big River Project - Invite's Every One

Do you want this project inland land trade route?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this project inland land trade route?

• No
    • Yes
    • Dont Care
    • I have already started

Hello Good People!

I Invite you all to Clear a New Sail Route through ETP Exo Trading Post - Lakeside Veiw - New Pineveiw Farms And Ixtlan

it have allot of work to be done when finish you can cross swift and at a good pase without sailing all the way around Exodus,

to get from one side to the other with the large boats.

If you have a dredge and willing to do something that benefits the server i invite you all.

Join me making canals and Deep streams, Trade ports, Landmarks, Lighthouses a sight to see and for all the server to enjoy!

So grab your tools and start shaping the new tomorrow.

Im starting at ETP and working my way west

Map Bellow path marked in red

Taken from and Holds the Copy rights

© Copy Rights Lobber and Code Clubb AB

exodusmap2012110441.png

Host, Nonsoul of Farmville 21x 27y

im all for it as long as you dont mess with the landbridge through the new pineshallows canal as ive told others who have destroyed our bridge if i got to fix it 1 more time i will deed that bay and turn it into land solid land lol. its the only land route to the north for us in the area living south.

More details please possibly a map plan, from what I gather so far, you plan on cutting off the south half from the north half with the canal; is that your intent?

I am all for a canal of that type but when and only when bridges are implemented so cart traffic can still get through; a lot of us use the land bridge south of Zenithia, we have already had some tampering done to it.

More details please possibly a map plan, from what I gather so far, you plan on cutting off the south half from the north half with the canal; is that your intent?

I am all for a canal of that type but when and only when bridges are implemented so cart traffic can still get through; a lot of us use the land bridge south of Zenithia, we have already had some tampering done to it.

This sums it up. While the incentive to make boat travel easier is nice,keep in mind that by making a canal you cut of land traffic. Leading animals over water is not always possible as some do not swim, such as cows and pigs, and carts do not go over water.

A map with the canal plan would be nice, and possibly where you plan to keep the current "bridges" we have. These consist of raised areas in the canal, high enough to where you can ride a cart or a horse over, but deep enough to where you can still drag a boat over.

Pics will be posted soon i made some quick schetches also can be help full for more from you all to give insperation and wants on the trade / river route And yes there will be land bridges fallowing the main roads 

A canal needs tuning but a rough idea

lastned.jpg

A landmark

colossuslake.jpg

A sketch of a canal without land bridge

scatch1.png

A sketch of a canal with land bridge less slope on the right off course

scatch2.png

This is give some idea what i mean to accomplish

Im just starting this for trade in main focus Im NOT COMMANDING or Ruin lands

I want you all to have a chance to add locations for bridges and Landmarks irlands etc...

Get the ball rolling kick out your idea's basicly im Cutting a river trough Exodus East to West and sins its so big thing to just do without communitie's in put,

That is not a what i will do or can until you all have been heard and have the support of General Communitie of Exodus 

So Reply with Thoughts,items,Idea, Maps Sketches, Plans your opinion maters. hate pm's negativity and rude comments is breaking terms of agreement 

If u want to leave a remark state the reason for it and it will be heard

Will also hear from CA Team to have a lead role in this project so no Rules or Wrongs are broken

Well, if you want opinions, I absolutely hate canals unless they are really really usefull (the crystal canal on independance is one good example). I very much enjoy the lack of roads on exodus and how the lands still look virgin, instead of landbridges, canals, and highways cutting through the entire map.

The picture of the map you posted with the plans. All of which you marked in red is already passable by boat.

Near the crafters market is no land at all, this is deep water.

Near Ixtlan is already a canal with a landbridgew crossing, if you dig down this landbridge you cut off a dozen towns on the southeast landmass, including me >:(

Near the annex is already a canal in place. What you drew yours through is a man made landbridge and I am sure people will be upset if you dig it down.

If you sail just a tad bit west at new bergen, would take 5 minutes at most, there is already a natural canal.

New pineviews shallows canal is already a canal, right there is a landbridge to allow pretty much the entire southern landmass land-acces to esert.

Long story short, I am not sure what your plan is. The exact line you marked is already a boat-route as it is. Digging down or widening any part of this route will cut off acces at an important crossing and upset people.

Like above, it's already passable by sailboats easily enough although dredging the channel between New Pineview and the old Shallows Canal would allow larger boats to move freely. Quarry is already in the process of dredging that area so in reality the only thing you'd need to do to open it up from the ETP end is go through the annex. And, well, the canal just south of it is already there and open to shipping so theres not really a lot of point.

But feel free to come to the channel between the Shallows canal and New Pineview to help Quarry deepen it.

Well, if you want opinions, I absolutely hate canals unless they are really really usefull (the crystal canal on independance is one good example). I very much enjoy the lack of roads on exodus and how the lands still look virgin, instead of landbridges, canals, and highways cutting through the entire map.

The picture of the map you posted with the plans. All of which you marked in red is already passable by boat.

Near the crafters market is no land at all, this is deep water.

Near Ixtlan is already a canal with a landbridgew crossing, if you dig down this landbridge you cut off a dozen towns on the southeast landmass, including me >:(

Near the annex is already a canal in place. What you drew yours through is a man made landbridge and I am sure people will be upset if you dig it down.

If you sail just a tad bit west at new bergen, would take 5 minutes at most, there is already a natural canal.

New pineviews shallows canal is already a canal, right there is a landbridge to allow pretty much the entire southern landmass land-acces to esert.

Long story short, I am not sure what your plan is. The exact line you marked is already a boat-route as it is.

I guess you haven't try sailing cogs or knarrs,carvells,corrbitas on the current way i maped out,

im having mind off changing that so big boats can travel inland without problems with the chose east or west. but i will not cut off perfect build land bridges those ho needs improving will be so it is possibly to cross with animals on a land brige and have big boats dragged over.

I take it in all your agenst the project

In fact, I have. The only point where it could use some work is near pineview and that is, as already said, under construction.

On the current way you have mapped out, you ignore natural or already existing canals so I'm not surprised if you're having issues trying to smash your boat through a landbridge when there's a canal 50 tiles to the south.

If you would browse through other topics regarding canals on exodus, you will find that infact a lot of the comunity is not happy with canals in general.

Like above, it's already passable by sailboats easily enough although dredging the channel between New Pineview and the old Shallows Canal would allow larger boats to move freely. Quarry is already in the process of dredging that area so in reality the only thing you'd need to do to open it up from the ETP end is go through the annex. And, well, the canal just south of it is already there and open to shipping so theres not really a lot of point.

But feel free to come to the channel between the Shallows canal and New Pineview to help Quarry deepen it.

I am Thinking of East of Pineveiw and ETP Are the worst spots its to shallow for a good league of tiles and some land bridges u pass its seam just put up for a random crossing

and if you all don't believe in me i can give you a tour to see for your self

I believe you alright. I live in the south myself and frequently use boat travel, but I do prefer horse travel and I know how incredibly annoying canals can be. Not to mention, an incredible eyesore.

Have a look at this.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=66051.0

this here is the thread for the southern exodus pact, in which a lot of southern deeds agree to their dislike of canals, road, and landbridges.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=62873.0

Here is another thread like it. Look how many people support the lack of canals and roads.

Here is the result of someone not reading the forums and not listening to the community about canals. We ended up with a compromising landbridge.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=64812.0

Really, canals, landbridges and major roads, are disliked. If you choose to go ahead with this be prepared to face the consequences, I am not threatening you - but it is a warning.

The only area that your map indicates that I know that needs improvement is the New Pineview Canal which was poorly dredged and is also on deeded land and cannot be fixed, except by the deed owner.

The only other spot is west of that and the only shallow part is the land bridge New Pineview Shallows Canal and that is at it's deepest point and still passable by carts; I know this because I fixed it yesterday after someone tore up all the slabs and deepened it to get a boat through. Splize has already threatened to deed it and fill it if it gets ruined again, and I'll be delivering dirt to help do it.

Take note, the draft of a Knarr is only 8 dirt and should pretty much pass through the whole area with exception to a drag across the fore mentioned land bridge.

Between the old Shallows Canal and New Pineview it is only passable by sailboats or smaller. West of the canal it's passable in large ships and east of New Pineview is passable with large ships. The only area that needs dredging is the channel between the two which Quarry has started work on. This was discussed with him and is the principle reason why I disbanded the Shallows deed.

Only issue with dredging that area is the mayor of Plan C and Plan C Port has been awol for the last few weeks and a large section of Plan C Port covers the middle of the channel. Until he is back or the deed expires theres only a narrow section which could be dredged .. but it would still be doable.

The only thing you'd need to ensure is that the road crossing isn't touched or thirty mayors will murder you.

Issue with is that canals is completed so terrible they lose its function and its charm

There are ways to make a good trading route and not be a factor if you want lands

And in most cases canals is a good way to set up shops along it and make profit for traders passing along

There are good example of good trade canal back in Independence in to free marked i love to show, but lack the pictures to present

My main issue here i have as for my self that inland travel is very messy with and in some cases impossible with a good loaded merchant ship and upwind

This needs planing off course a better mapping of the main roads and crossing's deeds

And i saying  its not gonna be take a huge eraser along the map and dredge the hole river,

Just a neat clean path trough and some nice sites to watch wile you sail.

Also stop by the towns for a quick trade and look at there sites and

if it can be help a better path that i have done for now. If you know of one your welcome to draw it.

So if I understand you correctly, you want to build this canal because it's currently an inconvenience based on where you currently live? If so, I do not think that's a good enough reason.

You chose to deed where you currently do as I chose to deed where I currently do. We should've taken trade and traveling route considerations before deeding.

Alright, the only input i can give is in two posts.

this first one is a notice :

I'll ride out to the lake serpentine canal and get a picture of it for you. anything else will cut off land traffic and create a disruptance... his has one of the nicer land bridge crossings i've seen in a while.

there aren't that many boat users, and many walking/cart users. you say it will help with things, but i see it only helping for a certain few.

majority of exodus is against canals, so keep in mind that while it may inconvenience yourself and a couple others, theres about a hundred people on during any time of a any given day who will be inconvenienced. i'll personally dirt and deed any canal that impedes cart/animal travel anywhere.

Why not plot a cave canal? those are the best compromise, as far as i can tell.

So if I understand you correctly, you want to build this canal because it's currently an inconvenience based on where you currently live? If so, I do not think that's a good enough reason.

You chose to deed where you currently do as I chose to deed where I currently do. We should've taken trade and traveling route considerations before deeding.

Its not about my personal needs heck just i live a small distant from the rivers and good located. but a good trading route will agen benefit form opening the river for selling / delivering goods A-B and there are good market in it if we allow big boats to sail across inland Time saving and good for business

Alright, the only input i can give is in two posts.

this first one is a notice :

I'll ride out to the lake serpentine canal and get a picture of it for you. anything else will cut off land traffic and create a disruptance... his has one of the nicer land bridge crossings i've seen in a while.

there aren't that many boat users, and many walking/cart users. you say it will help with things, but i see it only helping for a certain few.

majority of exodus is against canals, so keep in mind that while it may inconvenience yourself and a couple others, theres about a hundred people on during any time of a any given day who will be inconvenienced. i'll personally dirt and deed any canal that impedes cart/animal travel anywhere.

Why not plot a cave canal? those are the best compromise, as far as i can tell.

If its cart travel people is afraid of thay cant cross i tell u this with minimal slope then flat tiles it is potential to bring the carts over and animals

Its not about my personal needs heck just i live a small distant from the rivers and good located. but a good trading route will agen benefit form opening the river for selling / delivering goods A-B and there are good market in it if we allow big boats to sail across inland Time saving and good for business

If this were really that beneficial for the public as a whole it would have already been done. However the majority of exodus people is simply against canals, both becuase they look industrial and they are a hindrance for horse travel. Even with several landbridges, one would still have to go over said bridge rather than be able to cross anywhere they would like.

Especially with the route already in place, I do not see need to expand upon it further by widening and deepening the existing canals.

I'm all up for a main boat canal etc, but I think it's too soon? We need bridges~

Even with several landbridges, one would still have to go over said bridge rather than be able to cross anywhere they would like.

I believe that is the point of a bridge. Sure, you can't just walk straight over when there is a canal, but why should a boat driver have to take a long route when all you have to do is walk that extra few tiles to the land bridge? There could be made a few land bridges per canal to keep accessibility.

If this were really that beneficial for the public as a whole it would have already been done. However the majority of exodus people is simply against canals, both becuase they look industrial and they are a hindrance for horse travel.

Horse travel is not always the best way to go, there should be a compromise for those who wish to travel via ship and those who take horses. Afaik ships can hold greater volume and can most likely get to places much quicker and much safer (especially with proper canals) than most other land based vehicles. Whist it may not be beneficial for the whole of exodus I hardly see too many negative implications from having a few canals.

Especially with the route already in place, I do not see need to expand upon it further by widening and deepening the existing canals.

Travel the existing canals and tell me how far you can get in a large ship without having to get out and drag the damn thing. The existing canals are in terrible shape, it's mostly the case of them being: too shallow and not slabbed or just a complete random mess.

Again i will say that there needs to perhaps be a compromise. Put up your ideas of improvement that can benefit both sides, let's not just stick to "NO CANALS!" submit some improvements and contribute...

Having better waterways would promote and increase in boat users. The fact that the waterways suck could be a contributing factor to the reason why not many people use boats...