Sign in to follow this  
dontremb

Why is it so hard?

I'm sure that this has been said many times, but I'm new.  So here's my question:  Why is the beginning of the game so difficult?

This game will freaking rock once it gets some things smoothed out, better GUI, and a lot of people.  However, it's freaking impossible to start out on your own.  I have spent 4 days just trying to find a place that wasn't covered in spiders and cats to start building.  Is this game in Beta?

I've even tried to join villages.  That's not really easy, the global channels aren't really helpful, and the Help channel isn't often manned. 

I think what needs to happen is the beginning just needs tuned back in difficulty.  I spent two hours walking south trying to find a place to live so I could start on the newbie guide in the wiki.  But, I died very quickly, not even having the slightest comprehension of how combat worked.  So, I lost my backpack and my compass.

Without a map and compass, this place is basically impossible to navigate.  I just died again, completely starting over.  Now, I assume that since I'm not losing ALL my skills every time I die, that I will eventually do better.  But why is it so difficult to begin with?

That EPIC PORTAL in the start should have a sign, and take you to a couple of optional places:  Villages/Cities known for accepting and training new players, or safe wilderness to solo, if that's what you like.

Because as it stands now, I haven't built anything, really.  I've made a few nails, and started building a house, (which is gone now), can't find the village I was in before (can't resurrect there either).  I really do want to get into this game, and I'll give it some more time, but after rezzing, the first hour is spent coming the wilderness looking for the last newbie who died, so I can steal a compass.  I need this compass so that I can travel in a straight line, looking for a place to set up shop.

Also, I'm not new to games like this.  I'm definitely new here, and I've played games that aren't so easy it's worthless.  Minecraft, for instance, is very fun and difficult when you first start, but then you get into your groove, you start learning the wiki, and it gets reasonable.  (I didn't look at the wiki for that game to start, because I wanted to figure out things.  I died the first 4 nights until I figured out what to do.)  But still, that was only about 2-3 hours of game time.

Since this game's crafting is SOOOO much more intuitive, the "What's This?" and the "Examine" features are incredible.  This game could be the next big virtual world, but I don't think you're going to get any real player base with the beginning so hard.

Why can't you have to look for hard places to settle?  After you know what you're doing and maybe with some kind of resource incentive, would be good. 

Also, I'll reiterate from my previous post, you need to allow user User Interface Mods.  This will allow the developers to know exactly what the players want, and it will make the game better almost immediately.

Are there any opinions on this?

Edit:  I LOVE that this game isn't about instant gratification, and it takes a long time to work on the skills, and build a tiny house.  I played a MUD like this for many, many years, and it's great.  But the game needs to be adjusted to be more user friendly, and easier in the beginning.

TL;DR:  The beginning of this game is too hard, please make it easier to coax a larger player base.

You should play in deliverance, i have some place for starting near my deed, mine included

The difficulty with making a server easier, is that you're getting to play on the full server, We've tried a seperate 'easier' server in the past and it was hurting the Wurm's subscriptions, evidenced by the fact that allowing Free players on the main servers resulted in a significant increase in premium accounts.

I would recommend you have a look through the recruitment boards (look for the green flag icons representing Freedom) to find a village accepting new members. Once you've found someone to take you in, I'm sure they will helpyou rech the village.

If you chose to go to Exodus, then yes you have no chance.

You should make 3 accounts and explore each of the 3 servers, then choose the one you like, or just go to Deliverance as that is the best.

Look in the recruitment section of this forum and ask in server chat channel for a village

I'm sure that this has been said many times, but I'm new.  So here's my question:  Why is the beginning of the game so difficult?

This game will freaking rock once it gets some things smoothed out, better GUI, and a lot of people.  However, it's freaking impossible to start out on your own.  I have spent 4 days just trying to find a place that wasn't covered in spiders and cats to start building.  Is this game in Beta?

I've even tried to join villages.  That's not really easy, the global channels aren't really helpful, and the Help channel isn't often manned. 

I think what needs to happen is the beginning just needs tuned back in difficulty.  I spent two hours walking south trying to find a place to live so I could start on the newbie guide in the wiki.  But, I died very quickly, not even having the slightest comprehension of how combat worked.  So, I lost my backpack and my compass.

Without a map and compass, this place is basically impossible to navigate.  I just died again, completely starting over.  Now, I assume that since I'm not losing ALL my skills every time I die, that I will eventually do better.  But why is it so difficult to begin with?

That EPIC PORTAL in the start should have a sign, and take you to a couple of optional places:  Villages/Cities known for accepting and training new players, or safe wilderness to solo, if that's what you like.

Because as it stands now, I haven't built anything, really.  I've made a few nails, and started building a house, (which is gone now), can't find the village I was in before (can't resurrect there either).  I really do want to get into this game, and I'll give it some more time, but after rezzing, the first hour is spent coming the wilderness looking for the last newbie who died, so I can steal a compass.  I need this compass so that I can travel in a straight line, looking for a place to set up shop.

Also, I'm not new to games like this.  I'm definitely new here, and I've played games that aren't so easy it's worthless.  Minecraft, for instance, is very fun and difficult when you first start, but then you get into your groove, you start learning the wiki, and it gets reasonable.  (I didn't look at the wiki for that game to start, because I wanted to figure out things.  I died the first 4 nights until I figured out what to do.)  But still, that was only about 2-3 hours of game time.

Since this game's crafting is SOOOO much more intuitive, the "What's This?" and the "Examine" features are incredible.  This game could be the next big virtual world, but I don't think you're going to get any real player base with the beginning so hard.

Why can't you have to look for hard places to settle?  After you know what you're doing and maybe with some kind of resource incentive, would be good. 

Also, I'll reiterate from my previous post, you need to allow user User Interface Mods.  This will allow the developers to know exactly what the players want, and it will make the game better almost immediately.

Are there any opinions on this?

Edit:  I LOVE that this game isn't about instant gratification, and it takes a long time to work on the skills, and build a tiny house.  I played a MUD like this for many, many years, and it's great.  But the game needs to be adjusted to be more user friendly, and easier in the beginning.

TL;DR:  The beginning of this game is too hard, please make it easier to coax a larger player base.

Maps: http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Map

You get a compass when you begin so dont die

Dont start on exodus because theres increased spawns there

There is a new GUI on the unstable client

Its better to post in one of the recruitment threads for villages on the forums

you realy took the difficult place, to beginn at.

Exodus was introduced as the hunting server and place for people with already trained fighting skill.

Deliverance server, or even the Epic cluster, due to low population wouldnt have dissappointed you so much i guess.

though Epic is littered with animals too.

Yes, Wurm life in the beginning isnt easy, but especially on Deli, you dont get overwhelmed and chased by creatures.

Navigating never was easy here, you have to orientate by wind (grass movement) and landmarks, using the maps if you loose the compass.

freshly started out? avoid everything but calfs, wildcats dogs. Dig for a hour or two and you have enough skill to start reshaping the place you want to put up the first house. Just build you a cart and a chest and bulk storage bin at future house site. voila already enough carpentry to realy work on the house. in between, rummage for iron, or prospect for an iron vein and start a mine.

only difficulty in this is to avoid the bigger creatures strafing around, fast running and guard towers, also lakes help here.

Thank you all so much!  I'm going to try and restart on Deliverance, and see what happens.

You guys were all much nicer than I expected.  Instead of anti-newbie anger and disdain, I got good tips and helpful ideas and hints.

Thank you all so much.  I'm going to try Deliverance right now.

Wurm has one of the best communities I have ever seen in a game. They always help you out when you need it.

Dontremb,

I agree with you that the game is quite hard for new players to survive and thrive in. There is little direct guidance available other than asking for help to your questions in the "Local" chat tab or perhaps posting in the forums as you have done.

As for Deliverance server, when you spawn there at the token there is a compass on it. If you face west to the tall mountain, head that way and then turn left (South) and you will hit a cobble road that goes along the lake/mountain side. Follow that road South to the unlocked gate and enter. You will then be protected from the nasty critters by the stone walls.

Stay on that lake road until you come to The Sanctuary. Head south through The Sanctuary and behind it you will find an area that we created for new players to settle on free land. There are small plots layed out there with some stone walls that you can complete for a enclosure to settle in. The whole area has been replanted with trees that you can cut down to make materials to build a cart, house and various wood tools.

Some of these plots even have abandonded bins and forges you could take over for your own use. There are also some forge/oven/bin spots I made you can use for cooking and smelting. There is a public mine you can use to mine shards, ect. There is a guard tower that covers most of this area and to use it you just target the nasty critter and say "help in the local tab and the guards will shortly run there to kill the mob.

I set this whole area up to be helpful and used by new players on their own without having to depend much upon other people. I suppose not many know about it as most of the spots there are still open to be used by anyone who wanders over there. There are also a few nice perminent players in the local who could be of help when needed, although I am rarely there now as I have gone back to my deed on Independence since I completed the whole project some months ago.

I think initially the game has to appeal to a person on some level and then with a bit of persistence and determination they will find their own direction and course they wish to persue.

=Ayes=

Wurm has one of the best communities I have ever seen in a game. They always help you out when you need it.

What I have seen:

Runescape: millions of players, terrible hating community that is all about scamming newbs.

Wurm: Hundreds/Thousand players, close knit community, bring newbs in, everyone knows each other.

Its a small world here. ;D ;)

I started on Exodus and I've stayed there.  I didn't understand how combat worked at first either so I just kept a sharp eye out for critters and ran away from them.  My first two days, not just hours, were spent exploring and finding a place I liked.

Expect to travel a good distance.  Ask for a link to the most up to date map and make note of landmarks you pass so if you die you can find your way back to your body and get your compass.

When deciding on a place to settle the first time look for a place not that far from water with a rock face to mine into.  You'll want the stone and iron.  Try to find some trees as well since you'll need them for your first house.  For instance, a newbie would have a very difficult time making it out in the desert, even if they did drop a deed and let the spirit templars kill all the critters.

Dontremb,

I agree with you that the game is quite hard for new players to survive and thrive in. There is little direct guidance available other than asking for help to your questions in the "Local" chat tab or perhaps posting in the forums as you have done.

As for Deliverance server, when you spawn there at the token there is a compass on it. If you face west to the tall mountain, head that way and then turn left (South) and you will hit a cobble road that goes along the lake/mountain side. Follow that road South to the unlocked gate and enter. You will then be protected from the nasty critters by the stone walls.

Stay on that lake road until you come to The Sanctuary. Head south through The Sanctuary and behind it you will find an area that we created for new players to settle on free land. There are small plots layed out there with some stone walls that you can complete for a enclosure to settle in. The whole area has been replanted with trees that you can cut down to make materials to build a cart, house and various wood tools.

Some of these plots even have abandonded bins and forges you could take over for your own use. There are also some forge/oven/bin spots I made you can use for cooking and smelting. There is a public mine you can use to mine shards, ect. There is a guard tower that covers most of this area and to use it you just target the nasty critter and say "help in the local tab and the guards will shortly run there to kill the mob.

I set this whole area up to be helpful and used by new players on their own without having to depend much upon other people. I suppose not many know about it as most of the spots there are still open to be used by anyone who wanders over there. There are also a few nice perminent players in the local who could be of help when needed, although I am rarely there now as I have gone back to my deed on Independence since I completed the whole project some months ago.

I think initially the game has to appeal to a person on some level and then with a bit of persistence and determination they will find their own direction and course they wish to persue.

=Ayes=

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this. I just started this game last night and saw this post while doing some research, and was able to enjoy my first night much more due to finding this area that you built. I jumped in the end lot by the big lake and have begun learning some of the ropes there. Major kudos for doing all of this for the newcomers! Thank you!

Edit**

How does one gain access to the mine? I see it has doors. I am wandering around trying to find someplace to get some iron for nails... I think I poked around too much on "Second Chance's" property :( sorry!

Stavros,

Good to hear that you have settled there and the facilities set up have been of help to you. We have a wood mine door on the mine with the sign -Locals Mine- to protect it from random people damaging the inside of it. I will add your name to it so that you can also enter it.

We never found an iron vein inside after much mining but if you go to the lake road I mentioned, head back towards Green Dog and the second mine opening you come to with an iron gate 1 tile away from it has an iron vein inside there. Unfortunately some griefer type player dug the floor down into the water many months ago, so it is a bit difficult for access. There is still a forge in there for smelting if you bring some type of fuel source with you.

A player named Shadowtaimat lives in a stone house in your area and is the caretaker of that area. He is very helpful, so be sure to say hello if you see his name in local chat. Hope you enjoy your Wurm experience.

=Ayes=

hey my rome deed use to have iron at mine entrace but got used. up there's iorn inside farther down. i left it open for down. but if it get greiffed again i'll put door on.

oh and rome just north of the sanctuary deed. toward green dog

Stavros,

Good to hear that you have settled there and the facilities set up have been of help to you. We have a wood mine door on the mine with the sign -Locals Mine- to protect it from random people damaging the inside of it. I will add your name to it so that you can also enter it.

We never found an iron vein inside after much mining but if you go to the lake road I mentioned, head back towards Green Dog and the second mine opening you come to with an iron gate 1 tile away from it has an iron vein inside there. Unfortunately some griefer type player dug the floor down into the water many months ago, so it is a bit difficult for access. There is still a forge in there for smelting if you bring some type of fuel source with you.

A player named Shadowtaimat lives in a stone house in your area and is the caretaker of that area. He is very helpful, so be sure to say hello if you see his name in local chat. Hope you enjoy your Wurm experience.

=Ayes=

Thank you so much Ayes. I had a really bad experience with another player shortly after my last post, and haven't been back to the game for a few days. I will poke back in and give it another shot, but it was pretty frustrating and I play these types of games for the community...

Anyway, not here to drop names or start drama, so I will leave it at that. Just wanted to explain why I was here and excited and then just gone suddenly.

Will pop back in and try again soon. Thanks again for your kindness and generosity!

Stavros,

If this is an indication of your bad experience with another player; "I think I poked around too much on "Second Chance's" property sorry!", then pay that unidentified person no mind, as you have every right to wander anywhere in the game (on deed, perimiter or off) that is not fenced/walled off to prevent you from doing so.

I won't go further into this "mysterious" individuals character but they are the exception to the rule of the friendly neighbors in the area. Also, there is an ignore option so you don't have to listen to anyones rantings if you choose not to.

As for iron, if you step out your gate and head east along the lake cobble road, it runs a short way to end at a new Public Iron Mine with a wood door on it set to be open to anyone. Inside there are 2 iron veins, a forge, bulk bin and trash bin made for public use by another "mysterious" individual with different motivations than the first one you mentioned. This is on a friendly neighbor deed perimiter, so don't let some foolish person try to convince you that you have no right to be there. Enjoy!

=Ayes=

It wasn't Second Chance, but I appreciate the good advice :)

I found the iron you mentioned a couple of posts back, and managed to figure out smelting and making nails. Got my shed placed and am in the process of building the walls and windows and door now :)

Thanks so much for the advice and kindness. Also very good to know about the ignore feature. So far the cool people far outweigh the bad by a ratio of like... All to 1.. lol

But that 1 was enough to get to me as it was very early on in my entry to the game.

I do so love the game, the ambiance is unmatched in my opinion.

What I always try to do when starting over, is follow the shoreline...that way if I DO run into a spider or wolf, i can run into the water to avoid them and go around them.

But if  I hit a bear, then Im screwed but that is rare.

Also the shore provides unlimited drinking water.

Think like real life. Most civilizations have been built along the shorelines. Even just rivers.

See I'm having the same experience.  This game would rock if I could find someone to play with, but everyone who offers help wants to do everything for you and have you join their city/kingdom.  They've already been playing for awhile, and forget how much fun it is to just learn on your own and experience things for the first time so I'm wanting someone else who is new to play with... unfortunately I can't find anyone.

Find some friendly people and live near them, no need to join their village.

It will be hard to find another new player who wants to live with you, most either join a village or live solo.

Well, I am inspired by these stories to think about building a newbie area myself, but my experience was a bit different and I would like to share my story. As an experienced RPGer I got into the game quickly dispite the challenges and had only some difficulty finding my way around. I was extremely frustrated trying to find resources I could use without accidently going on to unfenced settlements. Eventually I joined an existing village and it has been very rewarding. I am not taking anything away from those who enjoy the pioneering spirit, but I prefer to join up with a group. It really is a sandbox world and there is more than one way to enjoy this game. I think new players need to decide what they want from the game before they give up, and if they don't want to live alone, they should talk to some prospective mayors.

Yes Qyrti, joining a village is a nice alternative for new players who enjoy the company of others and working towards common goals. There is a forum named "Village Recruitment Center" that people can check where others are looking for people to join their village, so this can be a good option for those who would rather not be left completely to their own devices at the starting process of the game.

=Ayes=

I tried Wurm on and off over several years but never got past the first day in my earliest tries. A little over a year ago, I tried again -- I was stubborn and kept coming back because on paper, Wurm was always the game I wanted to be playing, and I was determined to find a way into its "juicy parts.  But I always gave up in frustration my earlier tries. Several things I think made a difference my final try -- a better tutorial, some softening of the "hardships" at early levels, and finally opening the mains servers up to free to play characters, which allows new players to learn from older experienced players.

Also, my most recent try, I started three different characters to try out three different playstyle approaches -- I figured it did not relly matter how long it took to find the right approach, as long as I found it in the end. One character went out solo, one joined a tiny village willing to let me "skill up" with them and learn the game for a few weeks, and one went to a very large established village. The small village where I could skill up and learn before setting out solo, was DEFINITELY the best approach for me. The large village, I got bored very fast (everything was basically "done", it was too safe and really nothing more exciting to do than work on my tools).

So my best advice to people struggling -- find some nice village that will "adopt" you for a month with no long term obligations, before you set out on your own. There are many villages that cater to HELPING new players get started and not just being a little cog in someone else's dream project.  Some players may not need this -- it sure helped for me though.  I finally set off "looking for land" with a cartload of starting supplies and a knowledge of how to survive. This time it WORKED, and  I have not missed a single day playing over 400 calendar days  (109 days actual playedtime) since then. That's probably my longest stretch for any game since Asheron's Call (1999-2002)

So -- even if you are really not a "village type" person and want to run a solo homestead, the right village can still be the best place to start in the first weeks of the game.

It can all be explained in one statement... we are all masochists and sadists.

I agree with Klaa, everyone has instincts regardless of how moral they might be, so in the Wurm setting, I'd expect quite a lot of brutality.

On the other hand, the game does seem to be a bit too hard for newbies, (but that might be fixed with some improvement to the tutorial, and a few minor changes as far as new characters) versus, let's call it the challenge-curve, later in game.

It seems to me the biggest challenging factor later is time instead of difficulties like fighting, or riddles, or just figuring out stuff. But I'm still a newbie so I might be wrong on this one...

Riddles IMHO are what is usually missing in games, and what would be a good replacement for time-challenge, that is pretty much the sole challenge for the experienced/hardened/strong characters have in most games I've seen.

So I'd see something of a combination of missions and riddles for end-game challenges, probably involving the necessity to team up with other characters.