Sign in to follow this  
LumpyGravy

Epic creatures will no longer spawn in the Freedom cluster

Good news indeed! The nogump has been the only creature I've feared for a looooong time!

I think its great freedom people don't have to worry about new mobs now, they are not equipped to deal with  them.

Not sure if this is an attempt of a mockery for the people on Freedom, or a statement of a fact. It is true though, many people on freedom have other priorities than raising fighting skills.

I think its great freedom people don't have to worry about new mobs now, they are not equipped to deal with  them.

For once Tony, I agree :)

Question: would people have complained if they spawned naturally from the environment. After facing these tough mobs, I hope rolf adds some higher tier mobs from lairs. It's been a long time since I've had a challenge. These creatures were great, they required a team of people but not as many as a unique. It allowed a bit more team play which is great!

I never managed to kill anything alone  :'(  even small rats.  I hardly have fight skill.. i believe i am a vegan pacifist lol. stronger mobs will kill me only with the eyes  :o

I never managed to kill anything alone  :'(  even small rats.  I hardly have fight skill.. i believe i am a vegan pacifist lol. stronger mobs will kill me only with the eyes  :o

I agree w/ this .. everything stronger than a bear MUST be removed NOW!!!!

I agree w/ this .. everything stronger than a bear MUST be removed NOW!!!!

don't get me wrong, i think it's interesting to have more powerful mobs. I was just talking about me, but i like it!!!

Im a bit sad they're gone really. While they were not a good thing for new player retention mainly because they were impossible to kill for peole with that level of fs, they did add a new challenge to the people with 70 + fs. Also MD, agree with your statement. I would like to see more mobs, at both ends of the fight skill.

Im a bit sad they're gone really. While they were not a good thing for new player retention mainly because they were impossible to kill for peole with that level of fs, they did add a new challenge to the people with 70 + fs. Also MD, agree with your statement. I would like to see more mobs, at both ends of the fight skill.

Your not the only one that feels this way.

If newbs are the issue now , they always will be with the design of the game. There is no flow to the game currently so even trolls are a huge issue for newbs.  Most of the complaints came from some long term people though, you know, the ones that que up 5-6 actions while playing another game.. or worse yet the ones that cant afk macro if they are in danger  ::)

I know wurm hates to take functionality from other games.. but c'mon in this case it really cant be that hard to make all mobs non aggressive until you REACH the skill where they are now aggressive.  I know, I know, this will take away from the beloved .. but wurms supposed to be hard and all.  I lol at this so much when the same people that say that also turn around and say .. wait wait, now its hard at higher levels  :o 

Wurms Real players , the ones at keyboard actually playing the game and not afking actually want that next tier of challenges.  You know, those mobs that will actually add some life into the game after FS 50.  The Mobs that will get us out buying those afk macroers gears  :P

Good that Epic stuff isn't spilling over to Freedom any longer, but I'd love to see them replaced by some other strong mobs.

Question: would people have complained if they spawned naturally from the environment. After facing these tough mobs, I hope rolf adds some higher tier mobs from lairs. It's been a long time since I've had a challenge. These creatures were great, they required a team of people but not as many as a unique. It allowed a bit more team play which is great!

It is a bit hard to have a normal discussion about this without the thread getting derailed by the flaming, trolling and flamebaiting from Myst, but I can try.

My guess is that the answer to your question is no.

Personally I complained for the following reasons:

1) These creatures spawned from missions completed on Epic, and I felt and still feel that its nonsense to have creatures spawn on Freedom cluster because of something that is happening on Epic.

2) These creatures appeared completely imbalanced and overpowered. They spawned inside houses and on deeds in groups of up to 5. Spirit templars, which people pay quite a lot to for protection, couldn't even give them a scratch. It didn't matter if you had 1 or 50 templars. They followed people forever even on horses until someone else grabbed their attention. They required hours for 5+ 70 FS fighters with uberenchanted 70+ QL weapons and 70+ QL scale or drake armour to kill with the help of tower guards or spirit templars to tank to kill. Even after Rolf nerfed them they were completely imbalanced and over the top.

I enjoyed hunting before Rolf messed up the spawn system (at least on Deliverance it is), I am all for having harder mobs than trolls roaming all Freedom servers but if you want mobs like Nogumps I think they should be restricted to one server. Those are 2 completely opposite sides of the difficulty range though. I also think they should spawn naturally on Freedom servers and not because some faction completed a mission on Epic.

I don't think people should be forced to train fighting to play Wurm. Should they be forced to run for their lives, yes, but they should always have the option to run away and hide and not being held prisoner for 5 days like what happened recently.

I, too, am glad Epic creatures will no longer spawn in the Freedom cluster.

Perhaps if there was only one single designated lair they'd spawn from in one of the more difficult Freedom areas, such as Exodus on a certain mountaintop, it'd be fine.  But not randomly over the whole Freedom Isles.

I don't agree with trolls being non aggro to noobs..... aggro mobs are aggro for a reason. If new, harder, mobs are added though, I would agree with them being non aggressive.

@ Wulfgar

Feel free to think of me as a troll or flamebaiter if you please, it is far from the reality though.

I do want to see Wurm get to a point where it can market and retain to a playerbase, if that takes some few harsh observed realities to be pointed out then im sorry.

You can upside down the normal cookie cutter designs in alot of areas of gaming but there are some KEY areas that you cannot.  Beating your head against a brick wall and wondering why your not getting players nor retaining players isnt a good devoloping tool.  Knowing why and reacting to that Is though.

Games HAVE to have easier game play for a brand new player (this captures them as a buyer) does that mean they dont have to grind etc, no but if they are having a very hard time even getting in and out of areas, as well as the simplest of mobs killing them over and over then you MIGHT have issues with this area of the game. 

Retention comes closer to mid game, this is where the game has to consistantly get harder as you progress or you end up with under 1% retention levels at this stage and that is not good for $ flow, nor development flow.

lastly, Vets of a game should never be on a stagnant afk model where the only thing thats really left is to A) start over on a pvp shard or B) semi afk crafting/afk crafting (the same players who make it through the "hard stages" are rarely the same players who want to sit and mind numbingly craft.

So Wulf you can think of this as another troll or you can actually look at is a flowing thought process that can spur some Questioning as to how to reach these stages.  Unlike yourself, I personally do want this game to do well and do not want it to be a no population solo based time consumer.

Epic creatures will no longer spawn in the Freedom cluster.

Finally a good new.

Now is time to start sharpening your swords, axes and spears, and make your mauls more heavy. Now is time to re-think your defenses. Now is time to remove the dust of some of your armors. Now is time to give a meaning to every skill we have earned and is grinding. Now is time to breath new live on the Freedom Isles. Now is time to be ready to when Freedom Isles will be attacked by these unique spawn and Freedom Isles start its own tale towards Glory and Honor or Shame and Chaos. When this time comes don't run crying, at last stand and face the enemy on every way The Wurm Wiki was teaching us to fight, and even our own ways to fight and help....        and when, the true enemy comes, don´t say, "we where not warned".

*runs laughing malevolently thinking on which way will be best to kill the new threats*

+1

I moved to Exodus with hopes that it was a server with tons of tough creatures, like th news back then seemed to promise, but its just rats and cats anymore now. Kinda disappointing :<

• and/or creating an underground cavern somewhere that the creatures live in.

so maybe one day we have a terrific lightning storm,  a code looks for an area with no manmade-structures within 'X' radius, and in such a spot a huge chasm is created that goes deep deep deep deep, and all kinds of medium-plus-grade nasties start spawning out from it (roughly equiv to champ trolls), some of which might make it outside to terrorize the general population, but most are inside. At the base of the chasm, a supermob that respawns once every three months which might slowly start making its way towards the surface. Can the server organize and kill it before it wanders into the main countryside and terrorizes the land?  If they succeed, the chasm stops spawning and slowly decays/collapses, but until then the spawns continue.

If the chasm is successfully closed, and if it seemed to be the type of content everyone enjoyed, maybe we could get a random 3-9 of these chasms a year (might on occasion be more than one location, other times might not be any at all). This would give a number of solo-grade tough mobs on the outside for highend fighters, a very dangerous interior that probably could not be safely soloed and requires teams to hunt in, and then a single server-grade ubermob thats a little tougher than the current red dragons (since those are apparently no longer as big a challenge), and which cannot be penned or deeded in the chasm.

There is random danger for everyone, so no one is completely safe,  but the most danger is for those who go looking for a fight.

+1

I'm more farmer than fighter, and while these creatures were a MAJOR pain, there was a lot of excitement about them, yes some of that was fear.  As these creatures would attack all of Freedom was trying to help.  People would sail and ride to the aid of villages they never even heard of before.  For that alone, I think they were kind of cool, and will miss them.  (I will NOT miss however them appearing in someones house/deed, wrecking the place, instantly killing everyone and making people want to log off to bed rather than stay and play.)  :D

I liked having the risk of seeing one on my travels.

As a noob, all monsters make you go "EEK!" and hide but eventually trolls don't scare you, and you feel pretty invincible to all these PvE mobs.

Rolf could easily send a GM to look for a place without houses in a 50 tile radius to make a mob pit, make it for the advanced wurmians to challenge themselves.