Sign in to follow this  
Nitara

Anti-griefing measures: tracking, lockpicks

So I always was irritated with how short a time you can actually see back with tracking, even at modest skill levels, but now I'm flat out pissed.  My compound was broken in to and my horses slaughtered, and I have jack all way of determining the perpetrator.  I don't want ninny carebear . , I want blood for .ing blood.  Track should be the main way to determine the identity or at least path of an invader.  As it stands it's pure garbage.

Also, lockpicks were changed to be less insane recently (not curved, iirc?), but there's still the problem that once you can make them, you can churn them out - it would help to make them a) notrade, and B) steel only.  The latter for a number of reasons, primarily that at least that way there is a barrier to Joe Griefer whipping out two dozen picks and making the rounds to ruin things for kingdom-mates.  The former would require someone wanting to sell legitimate lockpicking services (or picking on raids) to commit the time to grinding it, rather than being able to just buy them.

Deeds, yeah.  Great solution for folks with the money.

Wait, did this happen on Epic, which is a pvp server where you are allowed to do this ? If so, deal with it.

On Freedom you can /dev it, since the GM's got supertracking.

You should also join someones deed, plenty of people recruiting on all servers.

-1 for making lockpicking any harder, it's already a million times easier to just smash a hole than pick a lock.

Yeah tracking sucks and is worthless. It tracks around the tile you tracked not the tile itself also not always shows up who has been there

+1 to making Tracking suck less. 

+1

-1 griefing is fun

Go away.

If this was on Epic I agree; suck it up. You gave your consent when you joined the server.

I think tracking should be a better skill, but I don't agree that lock picks should be made of steel.

Not really an "anti-griefing" measure, as griefing is part of the game, but more so just a cool feature.

Don't change the way that lockpicks are made. Making lockpicks on a non-PvP server is a legit practice for grinding locksmithing.

I would like tracking to be a bit less useless though.

Wait, did this happen on Epic, which is a pvp server where you are allowed to do this ? If so, deal with it.

If this was on Epic I agree; suck it up. You gave your consent when you joined the server.

This isn't a 'wahh something bad happened on a pvp server' thread, it's a suggestion that tracking should be made more useful.

That doesn't mean this isn't a crying thread, but tracking could be improved; maybe have it tied to real time rather than game time so the tracks don't disappear overnight. Personally tracking is just being used as a scapegoat for not being properly protected.

Why would you want to make lockpicking any harder, do you realize how insane it is to grind? I think it is already literally the hardest skill in the game to grind.

Why would you want to make lockpicking any harder, do you realize how insane it is to grind? I think it is already literally the hardest skill in the game to grind.

You've never made a sword then...

But yes, tracking sucks and could use an improvement.

I think tracking is fine where it is.  I don't know how your place is situated but never rely on just locks, especially on a pvp server.  A normal urban sprawl type ranch dwelling is a very tempting target.  Work the land, build natural camouflage, maybe some traps, pits and thornbushes.  Make it interesting.  People will go to a less sophisticated place (probably yours currently), believe me.

I cannot comment on lockpicks as I haven't played with them recently.  I think lockpicks were fine when I last worked with them, many months ago.

As I said, this isn't a waa I want carebear rules thread - this is about being capable of enacting justice, eye for an eye and all that.  The recourse for something like this on a pvp server should be pvp, not "ok, that sucks."  To me that seems a valid expectation.

I knew the risks getting in on Epic, and ground up my tracking into the 20s (and was intending to get to 70 eventually) expecting it to have some function, before realizing it's utter garbage.  This is the problem!

The lockpick suggestion, I'm more in favor of making them untradeable than anything else.  Material, meh, was just a thought. 

I'm all for making tracking useful, but you might want to reconsider your suggestion about lockpicking since you are pretty biased by being victimized. A good lock is not that hard to make, and much like lockpicks you can just keep spamming till you get some of good ql.

Tracking in the 20s should not be very useful.  Thank you for playing and try again!

Tracking in the 20s should not be very useful.  Thank you for playing and try again!

Ask Berris sometime how usefull 99 tracking is.

Tracking could use an overhaul, no argument there. However, lockpicking is fine atm.

Tracking could use an overhaul, no argument there.

Agreed, I'd still like to see dogs used to aid tracking (was in a thread a long time ago

- also was a thread abut using dogs as 'alert' guards, so they barked when a hostile got within a certain area (e.g. close to a deed/ or close to your house, or even close to you)

Cant comment on lockpicking as never used them in wurm.

Agreed that tracking could use improvement, but I think that lock picking is simply too insane already.

+1 to making lock picks only with steel  or making them break faster when made out of iron and less likely to succeed.

...or making them break faster when made out of iron and less likely to succeed.

Do you even test these things before you say stuff?  Lockpicks already break crazy fast.  Just today even, I had a 70ql lockpick with 5 dmg break in one second..