Sign in to follow this  
Raycg

Mining messages

I don't see a problem to allowing Prospecting to check if it can be mined out or not . It would give more use to the prospecting skill overall .

Protunia is against it; therefore, it must be a good idea.  ;D

As much as I hate to agree with Protunia, IMO you should have your mine mapped out for convenience's sake anyways, so you should know when you'll be threatening caveins and dropshafts and the like. So this seems irrelevant to me, just plan better and get off Rolf's back.

As much as I hate to agree with Protunia, IMO you should have your mine mapped out for convenience's sake anyways, so you should know when you'll be threatening caveins and dropshafts and the like. So this seems irrelevant to me, just plan better and get off Rolf's back.

I never botherd to map my 500-600 tile cave. May be biger than that i stoped counting.Not realy complaning,This is something that may make mining just a bit better. like i said befor, i think adding it to prospecting will give you a reson to prospect that wall befor you start mining it.

Remember stamina.

Say 4 seconds mining timer with a bloody good pick and high skill, wait roughly 4 seconds for it to replenish (if food and water are full). That's 8 seconds for 1 shard, 8x45=360/60=6. That's 6 minutes per wall, mining for 6 minutes to find out you can't mine that tile is extremely annoying, I must also state that the amount of money and time put in to get a 4 second timer is hefty, and I don't see why anyone should have to mine that much to find out it can't be mined.

You can take one out in under 4 minutes with good skill and an ok pick but like you said, you still shouldn't need to wait that long to find out what you are doing isn't going to work. It's a good change that won't unbalance anything.

IMO you should have your mine mapped out for convenience's sake anyways, so you should know when you'll be threatening caveins and dropshafts and the like. So this seems irrelevant to me, just plan better and get off Rolf's back.

Even if you map out your mine you'll still have times you'd run into those messages.  You can get too close to the rock surface when it dips randomly or accidentally tunnel into someone else's mine.  For the most part this will help out the medium to lower skilled miners anyway, they won't have maps or fast timers. They'd get the most benefit from the change.

The "The cave walls sound hollow. A dangerous side shaft could emerge", in WU code does nothing that serves a purpose. It simply just disallows two tunnels joining in a rectangular angle for no reason, because there are no additional checks.

Sideshaft.png

I am wondering what is the reason that you can't re-connect a caved-in tunnel corner like this? I fail to see any purpose in this particular preventative mining message and think that it should be removed. Even GMs and Devs seems to be supportive of this notion ;b

I'm bringing it up again (wooo search function) because it's still in the game, and it bugs me every time it happens. All it causes is distress and discontent for having to make a weird arse tunnel maneuver. Not for the time it takes, but for how it ends up looking, if at all possible.

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 1

We can accidently mine tunnels and create drop shafts . Preventing the mining of a tile because of one to the side should not happen if the floor slope between the connected tunnels was a reasonable slope. But we cant measure floor slopes in mines.

Giving a warning is fine , preventing mining is wrong.

Please remove this restriction, we got Nahjo priests that can fix things cheap now .

My understanding of the graphics engine and tile data is that two tiles of (potentially) different heights cant share a corner height value.

1 hour ago, Snowtech said:

My understanding of the graphics engine and tile data is that two tiles of (potentially) different heights cant share a corner height value.

I can't wrap my head around it right now, but if there was a tunnel before, I can't make sense of making it impossible to have a tunnel there again, after a cave-in for example. And then there's always the NW or NE corner mechanic for tile height data. I'd try with a WU mod but it's not a good time for me right now.

Edited by Ulviirala