Sign in to follow this  
Boj

Time for change

Just became informed of all this dragon nonsense a while ago, and I am very disappointed; not at anyone involved, they should have the right to play the game how they want, but rather Rolf. It is self-evident that the only reason there is so much drama over the dragons is because they hold high value items which are considerably unfair to the rest of the population, and I can't believe after all these years the drama has persisted. I'm not gonna sit here and give you a whole spiel about how unfair dragons are or point fingers at people, many of whom I don't even know, but rather tell you about how I think the game should be set up.

1. Sever the ties between in-game currency and real-life currency.

Wurm is far too dependant on real-life currency for it's own good, and in my eyes is stunting it's growth. It's high time some efforts for advertising get put out and subscription rates altered to match the company's growth. Implementing means for players to earn money in-game is another issue, but is not impossible to do without compromising Wurm's purpose.

2. Write up a clear and sensible set of rules that cannot be disputed.

Too much drama stems from the current rule system via bugs/exploits and outright poorly written rules across the board. A truly black and white rule system is required; only for situations that require it, i.e. chat and griefing (to an extent) and not something that can be solved with a simple code change.

3. A more complex staff.

At Wurm's current population and rate of growth, 20 or so GMs, many of whom I have never seen in-game or on the forums, is not enough. There is not reason for a wait of several hours before a GM arrives for assistance other than they are short-handed, whether there aren't any online at the moment or are dealing with another case, the argument is moot and the issue stands. I'd say bare minimum 1 GM per 100 players and at least 2 from each time zone as applicable.

In short, it's time for Wurm to go mainstream.

Please discuss.

I will see to it if there are any rule violations that the offenders are drop-kicked out the door in a heartbeat. I am not here to play games, and I am not here for a heated debate; I'm here to discuss the future of the game I love.

make your own game then

Don't test me.

Or else you will make one?

haha time for "creative interpretations" and "every situation is different"

I should have to make my own game because I can't give feedback on the one I enjoy and want to see improved?

haha time for "creative interpretations" and "every situation is different"

Why should rules have to be creative? They should be there because they need to be there, not as placeholders for mechanics.

About the dragons: Having rare or unique perks only available to a few players who earned it in some way, is one of the basic game concepts of rolfs design. Not gonna be changed unless he does a complete 180°.

Having rare or unique perks only available to a few players who earned it in some way, is one of the basic game concepts of rolfs design. Not gonna be changed unless he does a complete 180°.

I'm not advocating dragons be removed, only that they can't be cashed in for hundreds of dollars.

Having rare or unique perks only available to a few players who earned it in some way, is one of the basic game concepts of rolfs design. Not gonna be changed unless he does a complete 180°.

I'm not advocating dragons be removed, only that they can't be cashed in for hundreds of dollars.

How would you do that? Every multiplayer game has real life markets. Making trading for real life value illegal hasnt helped in any game, and it is impossible to avoid.

How would you do that? Every multiplayer game has real life markets. Making trading for real life value illegal hasnt helped in any game, and it is impossible to avoid.

True, but who's gonna pay that much money for something that's essentially worthless in-game?

Sure there are some who have pocketbooks bigger than their time schedule, but many would appreciate that they don't have to pay out of their own pocket and earn money in-game to pay for it.

Elitism via money on that level isn't something to promote in an online environment

alot of people will because they want an advantage and they have the money.  Ive heard of people on runescape buying godswords for $250.

alot of people will because they want an advantage and they have the money.  Ive heard of people on runescape buying godswords for $250.

Ok, but should that mean that everyone must pay $250 to get that godsword?

They payed upfront to get that item faster, whereas others preferred to get it with little to no cost to them.

My point is that "I win because I have more money than you" is ethically wrong if there is no measure to counter it.

World of Tanks, for example, has tanks that you can purchase for real-life money, but you can earn your way up to tanks of similar power and beyond. Wurm is essentially an apartheid by money at the moment.

World of Tanks, for example, has tanks that you can purchase for real-life money, but you can earn your way up to tanks of similar power and beyond. Wurm is essentially an apartheid by money at the moment.

I have never paid any real-life money for anything other than premium time. Yes, with money you can buy a super awesome 40 Body Control and 80 Fight Skill account with 90 Archery to attempt to whoop butt in PvP, but ultimately you'll still die because it's not the skill that supports the character, it's the experience of the person behind the wheel on the character. Grinding up your character from scratch will give you the edge over someone who just bought an account in PvP when it comes down to it.

Outside of PvP, crafting related skills I guess don't necessarily work the same way, but the accounts people buy are grinded out by someone who is well deserving of the money he earns selling his/her account. There's no difference of who is behind the wheel with crafting, in a sense, as the character still has the same skills he had before the transaction was made and the owner of the account was changed.

There's nothing wrong with using money to buy accounts, but in my eyes there's no fun in it. Working your rear off on your account and getting to reap the benefits you sowed years back is much more rewarding than flushing a weeks worth of salary on the account. I'd rather spend that money on something else, personally.

My point is that "I win because I have more money than you" is ethically wrong if there is no measure to counter it.

The only thing that hardcoded lets you buy power with money are deeds and i guess some trader items. You didnt need money to kill dragons and get scale if you were fast and determined enough to do it. Just the will and enough people. Most of the overpowered items never required dollars. They were free gifts for holidays, or items conquered in game.

This money market is completely player created and impossible to stop, which is the case in every game. If you make it illegal, I will just "lose" my item in a fight, or drop it if you wire me the money, no way to stop it.

Making these items "worthless" in game is against rolfs game design/vision of unique perks that give serious in game advantages to a few players willing to do what it takes.

Im semi confused what you are complaining about with this real money deal. Are you talking about people paying for shortcuts to scale armor and spyglasses and such, or about people buying deeds.

I have never paid any real-life money for anything other than premium time. Yes, with money you can buy a super awesome 40 Body Control and 80 Fight Skill account with 90 Archery to attempt to whoop butt in PvP, but ultimately you'll still die because it's not the skill that supports the character, it's the experience of the person behind the wheel on the character. Grinding up your character from scratch will give you the edge over someone who just bought an account in PvP when it comes down to it.

Agreed, you look at the majority of people who buy accounts and try to PVP, they end up dying the most usually.  I won't name names but it's fairly obvious from Wild that just buying an account on Wurm doesn't help you get kills. 

The only thing that hardcoded lets you buy power with money are deeds and i guess some trader items. You didnt need money to kill dragons and get scale if you were fast and determined enough to do it. Just the will and enough people. Most of the overpowered items never required dollars. They were free gifts for holidays, or items conquered in game.

This money market is completely player created and impossible to stop, which is the case in every game. If you make it illegal, I will just "lose" my item in a fight, or drop it if you wire me the money, no way to stop it.

Making these items "worthless" in game is against rolfs game design/vision of unique perks that give serious in game advantages to a few players willing to do what it takes.

Im semi confused what you are complaining about with this real money deal. Are you talking about people paying for shortcuts to scale armor and spyglasses and such, or about people buying deeds.

Say a drake set costs 100E. Now you could either pay the 100E in real-life money, or you could pay it in silver, which is still real-life money regardless of where it came from.

What if someone who missed the dragon raids comes along and wants a drake set; why do they have to pay out of their own pocket for it on top of what they already pay for in-game?

Pay for it or deal with the elitism.

Agreed, you look at the majority of people who buy accounts and try to PVP, they end up dying the most usually.  I won't name names but it's fairly obvious from Wild that just buying an account on Wurm doesn't help you get kills.

Yes I agree with that; account-trading doesn't bother me because you can earn the skills. Selling items for real money bother me because silver is real money. Either way you have to pay real money, and my whole point on this is that there should be an option where you can earn the money in-game to pay for it.

You'll be surprise i bought all of my account and only died 4 times pvping Killing 5x the amount of my deaths.Getting experience is easy grinding up a account is hard as ....

This is a dumb thread, I regret reading in it. I want my time back please, I came here thinking it was something else and instead of moving on to reading another thread I will whine about this thread being wrong. :/

So far I've heard no concrete evidence as to why I'm "wrong". I've opened my thoughts for everyone and kindly asked for opinions but, well... this.

This "Equal Opportunity" (or lack thereof)-problem concerns all unique non-producible items in all games. Simple solution that I've always advocated (and this is pretty much in effect already with the continuous server creation); make uniques non-unique. Equal opportunity for everyone to obtain "unique" items can technically be created by making dragons respawn under some circumstances. Under what conditions these respawns should happen, or the question whether dragon armor will still end up going to the same elite players is a different matter that we don't need to concern ourselves with; just create equal opportunity and let fate or chance decide the rest.

By "this is pretty much in effect already" I mean that we already have respawning uniques in a sense; each new server gets a new set of uniques and looking back there's been a continuous stream of new servers since Wurm began. We just need to make the unique respawning happen on account of player action rather than Rolf's development decisions.

Say a drake set costs 100E. Now you could either pay the 100E in real-life money, or you could pay it in silver, which is still real-life money regardless of where it came from.

What if someone who missed the dragon raids comes along and wants a drake set; why do they have to pay out of their own pocket for it on top of what they already pay for in-game?

Pay for it or deal with the elitism.

You buy other items ON TOP of premium if you don't have the access to make it, Do you not?

Not only this, but it takes some hard work and time, but you could make up about 75s and buy it at then, and if they only accept euro just sell the silver to someone for euros.

I don't see why you should care for this on freedom, but on epic rolf stated, this

Q: Will uniques respawn?

A: Yes in some forms. We will have more time to create interesting unique creatures after Epic is released.

Thus dragon armor will, in a way, become less and less "unique"