Sign in to follow this  
nervesplitter

Expand the signature limit.

I know this was already stated, but I'd rather not necro a post.

Firstly, if anyone doesn't like signatures on sites, they normally turn them off, and as different as wurmians are I still think they're able to do this.

Secondly, I don't see the point in the 15 character limit at all, it allows hardly anything to be written.

Thirdly, there are ways to prevent them from being huge, scratch has a pixel limit which cuts it off to stop it from spamming up pages.

Ok, I think it should be raised to 200, but with the pixel limit, this'd allow pictures in signatures which gives more personality to people and using the tags could mean I could have a picture saying "Selling character XXXXX, click here to see more" and I could sell stuff easier (not just me, I know lots of others who'd make use of this). Signatures are a fun part of most sites, but 15 characters is pathetic, I don't see why we even have them in the first place if it's limited like that.

Topics are long enough already, and im not scrolling over an additional pictured each and every post being made, no real need for this at all sorry. 15 Characters is short, but long enough. We don't need a wall of text in them, we should be happy there is any at all.

*I don't want to turn them off either, i just want small ones.

Topics are long enough already, and im not scrolling over an additional pictured each and every post being made, no real need for this at all sorry. 15 Characters is short, but long enough. We don't need a wall of text in them, we should be happy there is any at all.

*I don't want to turn them off either, i just want small ones.

Ability to turn off signature images then? Or togglable scrollbar.

Signatures are a fun part of most sites, but 15 characters is pathetic,

Pathetic is such a strong word...

-1, I agree with WKM.

You guys can just turn sigs off if it's that much of a problem...

+1 to this.

It's a very short character limit. Upping the limit to just one line wouldbe a big improvement, you could actually write a sentence thenĀ  ::)

I think this would be a great idea, and I don't understand how scrolling can be a major issue really. Still a limit on them and if possible allowing other users to turn them off, I see no problems here. Obviously they would have to follow the rules and a new rule be added I guess.

I can live with one full line or even a few, but no pictures please.

The forum looks nice and clean now, why change it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") <<--- So you can have this? Or another text-made train or whatever you can make.

So you can take an arrow to the knee? Which is a freaking outdated nerd joke because its been posted to many times?

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1910881/9ad1ef83/arrow_to_the_knee.html

So you can type aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Just because you can?

So you can add a stupid picture, to keep forum mods busy removing it from you and warning you all the time? While forum mods arent even being paid?

No.

It looks good now, no need to change it.

The short ones look good now, and its a small thing about yourself or someone else you want there.

Maybe 1 line is ok. (50 CHARACTERS, no pictures)

One or so lines, no pictures.Ā  I can't see the harm.Ā 

+1 to a bit more space andddd.. no pictures. Wouldn't hurt to let people expresss themselves a little.. more :D

The forum looks nice and clean now, why change it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") <<--- So you can have this? Or another text-made train or whatever you can make.

So you can take an arrow to the knee? Which is a freaking outdated nerd joke because its been posted to many times?

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1910881/9ad1ef83/arrow_to_the_knee.html

So you can type aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Just because you can?

So you can add a stupid picture, to keep forum mods busy removing it from you and warning you all the time? While forum mods arent even being paid?

No.

It looks good now, no need to change it.

The short ones look good now, and its a small thing about yourself or someone else you want there.

Maybe 1 line is ok. (50 CHARACTERS, no pictures)

Nothing is bothersome about a simple image, if the pixel limit is placed (which is usually like 200x600, meaning about 2-3 line's worth)

Not only this, but signuatures can be toggled off anyways, so any argument against them are invalid.

Whether you think what goes in a signature is stupid is opinion and irrelevant.

1+ to OP for a simple 5 line/200x600 pic limit.

People that already have a slow connection, will have to load all pictures aswell, small or not. Anyway, implent it and lets see how it works out then.. i still -1.

People that already have a slow connection, will have to load all pictures aswell, small or not. Anyway, implent it and lets see how it works out then.. i still -1.

....Then they'd turn signatures off.

i guess.. what are you planning as a signature anyway that you are requesting this -.-

i guess.. what are you planning as a signature anyway that you are requesting this -.-

I have a few, but they give people more of a personality in posts.

I would be okay with a increase only up to ~30 characters of text, but its fine as it is.

Sure, I could turn off signatures, but as it is I have no problem with the current signatures; they are sometimes amusing in a non-intrusive way. If you want to see how this would end up then just take a visit to the Minecraft forums (in almost all cases something I would never recommend).

I don't want to see your pet dragon as it grows over several weeks, and I don't want to see a quote staircase full of smiley faces. I really don't want to know how Rolf would look if you badly drew on a fedora in paint (well, maybe once), and I don't want to see a picture of a bear impaled on dragons fang throwing up Pikachu. I would probably be forced to hunt you down in game if you use a picture spat out by some achievement generator, and if I wanted to know what D&D class some survey decided you were I would go to the relevant thread.

Expand the signature limit, because Wurm's limit is just ridiculously low - you can't even put in a short quote. I have seen a few sites where signature are taken to ridiculous extremes, filled with pictures and banners. I've also seen sites where signatures are barely discernible from peoples' actual posts, due to the separating line being ill-visible. I've seen forums whose signatures were y-size limited, forcing it to become a little window with its own scroll-bar and interrupt your scrolling should your mouse happen to touch it while you were doing so. These are all avoidable issues. Limit image size, or just images in general. Make signature text a light, discernible shade of grey. Make the separator line more discernible. Limit the amount of lines a signature can have.

I would point, as I seem to do quite frequently, to the Haven and Hearth or Dwarf Fortress forums, which in my opinion have perfectly acceptable signature rules.

Max-height and overflow: hidden on the signature container. Problem solved. No scrollbars and maximum vertical height would be solved.

I have a few, but they give people more of a personality in posts.

just my preference, but i would rathar people have personality in the post, not the signature.Ā  If you are making an articulate, well thought out post, that matters more to me than whatever clever goofy meme is in your signature this week.

I'm not sure why you feel the need for a complicated signature at all, other than your name, and 15 characters seems to be plenty for that.

All in all i suppose a small increase in the size probably wouldnt hurt, to 50 characters or so, but there is no need for images in the signatures here.

Seems like the general consensus is 50 characters, no images, which seems perfectly fine to me, and if you DESPERATELY need to show off a screenshot of some rare and powerful weapon you bought/made you can always put the link in the sig (as long as it's under 50 characters)

Up to one line would be fine I guess, but for the love of god, no pictures. I depise pictures in signatures. You can already have a forum avatar to show off you mspaint skills and I know you can turn them off, but I dont give a rats ass. I dont want to have to turn them off, becuase I like seeing the actual written sigs, or becuase Im lazy, or Im a complete forum-noob and dont know how to, or whatever reason I want to have.

+1, kind of a no-brainer.

If we can have avatars, we should be allowed signatures.

Forum mods being lazy and dont want to have to measure signature dimentions.

50 characters sounds good. I don't see a need for pictures though seeing we have avatars.