Sign in to follow this  
Guest Extrusion

Wurm Tool - Updated 03/01/10

Currently i am working on a project that for now has been dubbed "Wurm Tool", The name is up for changes later on. What i want to get before i start developing this any further is feedback. Basically it is developed in Visual Basic 2008, which i am currently learning right now, I would consider my skills above average. I am making this tool to help the wurm community, and to gain experience with the programming language, as i find the best way to learn is to start projects.

Some basic ideas i had for this program is that it will have some functions and tools that will be helpful for wurmians eg., server status, calculator, prayer timer, house planner, etc.

These are just basic ideas, i would like to expand it beyond just that.

So, what i am asking is for you to provide ideas of what you would like to see in a program like this. Keep in mind this is only an external tool, so it can't do anything that would involve client interference.

Click here to download the beta version!

Wurm Tool requires .NET framework 3.5, you can download it: HERE

-Installation instructions-

Extract WurmTool.zip to your desired location (it doesn't matter really, just make sure you extract it.). Now navigate to the folder you extracted WurmTool.zip to and run "setup.exe" after that just follow the onscreen instructions. If your computer does not have something that Wurm Tool requires to run it will ask you if you would like to download and install it.

After you are done, it should put a shortcut on your desktop and a folder in your start menu, for now you will have to download and re-install it for every new version, but i plan on adding the ability for it to check for and download updates automatically on start up.

If the installation file is giving you problems, you may manually download the required files by clicking HERE and HERE. After you have installed those two, you can download the .exe file for wurm tool HERE

Please report any bugs that you find via PM on forums!

I would also like to start getting some suggestions on a new name for it as "wurm tool" is a little dull, so if you have an idea for a new name, post it!

All feedback is welcome.

Set the skills directory as your dump folder, it will automatically load the most recent skill dump.

- Credits -

Toni - Helped me out with the favor regeneration formula, thanks toni!

-Updates and changes-

- 11/02/08 -

Added: Weight formulas, Slope formulas, prayer timer, healing cover calculator, sleep bonus calculator and tray functions.

Comments: Busy day...

- 11/03/08 -

Added: Favor regeneration timer/calculator.

Special tanks to toni for pointing me in the right direction for the favor regeneration formula!

Comments: I optimized and debugged the code, to get it ready for a beta version release.

- 11/04/08 -

Fixed: A "System.InvalidOperationException" error has been fixed, the cause was that the program was referencing to something that did not exist on the computer, the setup file now checks that it is on the computer before installing, and if it is not it will ask you if you would like to install it.

- 11/05/08 -

Added: Skill parser that allows you to load your skills into a tree view, it will automatically populate your skills into the calculators. It has a load on start up option that parses automatically your skills when you start wurm tool.

- 03/01/10 -

Fixed: Fixed the code for the servers to now work with freedom/gv.

ScreenShot:

wurmtoolprevdq9.jpg

This is just my opinion, but your intention seems very worthwhile.  I wish you luck at this.

I would like to strongly recommend that you limit your server checks to every 5 minutes to be kind to the servers.

I think Wintermute has created a tool for both Linux and Windows to show status via the toolbar.  I do not know how far along that project is.

Greyhound was kind enough to develop an advanced server status code for the Kyara home page, and Leve`Dara has developed a server status page as well.

There are many tools developed by Toni as well.

The one thing you are doing that I have not seen others attempt yet is to combine all these tools into one.  I hope it works out well.

I was actually thinking of doing something like this, but in gadget form for Vista. Not that I know how offhand, but a little reading never hurt anyone, just haven't found the time yet to mess with it. Initially I was only thinking of the server status, but I like the idea of including the calculators and other useful tools. Good job.

Leve`Dara has developed a server status page as well.

The one thing you are doing that I have not seen others attempt yet is to combine all these tools into one.  I hope it works out well.

Wasnt Chjees working on something like this a while ago but dropped it?

This is just my opinion, but your intention seems very worthwhile.  I wish you luck at this.

I would like to strongly recommend that you limit your server checks to every 5 minutes to be kind to the servers.

I think Wintermute has created a tool for both Linux and Windows to show status via the toolbar.  I do not know how far along that project is.

Greyhound was kind enough to develop an advanced server status code for the Kyara home page, and Leve`Dara has developed a server status page as well.

There are many tools developed by Toni as well.

5 minutes is no problem. I was going to do a toolbar thing for it as well, so you can keep it minimized to the tool bar and still have the tools such as a prayer timer, favor regeneration timer, etc.

What i was going to work on next is the prayer and favor regen timer, I was going to put the option for either a noise or a popup for when 20 minutes has passed, and the same thing for the favor when your favor has fully regenerated.

I also have this page with the server stats http://stats.dragon-spire.com/ it was not fully coded by me (it uses mysql database to add more servers and such for easy editing, that was not done by me).

Also if anyone can provide formulas for favor regeneration and such i would greatly appreciate it.

I believe the favor regen formula is in the wiki somewhere

I believe the favor regen formula is in the wiki somewhere

Duh..why didn't i think to look there.

Thanks toni.

How are you going to be able to tell when a player prays or casts without interfering with the client? Or will they click a button? Or do you have GM permission? Don't want to see you banned.

Oh no, this won't do anything to the client, but it will be under the impression that they pray when it says it's time to pray.

For example, if they had it set to make a noise when it is time to pray (Every 20 minutes 5 times a day), then it will expect them to pray after the noise is made, and the timer will be reset. But i will also put in an option for a pop-up instead of a noise, this will work the same way.

Then for the favor regeneration, they would put in there maximum favor and everytime they run out of favor they will either press a button (or a hotkey) and a timer will start, and a noise (or popup)  will go off when there favor has regerated.

-UPDATE 1-

Ok ive added 3 more things.

Weight formulas

Slope formulas

Prayer timer

For the weight formulas you enter your strength and it displays the maximum load you can carry, the weight at which your speed will drop by 3/4 and the weight at which your speed drops by 1/4.

For the slope formulas it has 3 different sections digging, masonry and carpentry. For the digging you put in your digging skill and it will display the maximum slope you can dig on. For the masonry and carpentry it will display the maximum slope you can build walls/fences on (These caps do not apply to the borders around cave entrances.).

Now, the prayer timer. What you do for it is put in the number of times you want to pray, the timer will reset its self after after every 20 minutes how many ever times you put in the "Times to pray box".

For example if you put 5 in that box (The default) it will display a popup box every 20 minutes 5 times, then it will automatically disable its self.

Later i will be adding the option to have it make a noise instead of a popup box.

Screenshot:

wurmtoolprev2nu9.jpg

Your prayer timing option will be a little wrong always.  Might I suggest putting in a manual option to have the used press a button in your tool to mark that they have prayed so that the timer will count down from there?

Your prayer timing option will be a little wrong always.  Might I suggest putting in a manual option to have the used press a button in your tool to mark that they have prayed so that the timer will count down from there?

Good idea, i need more people like you posting in here.

Very nice!

Id love to see a cave planner together with the house planner, and a time thing that shows ingame time/date and the current and upcoming seasons.

Edit:

And a extensive map-tool. One that you can load the map-dump into, it should have functions for counting tile distances (every tile on the dump is a pixel), drawing in locations and naming them, aswell as a seperate cave-layer that you can plan your cave layouts on and save them.

Very nice!

Id love to see a cave planner together with the house planner, and a time thing that shows ingame time/date and the current and upcoming seasons.

Edit:

And a extensive map-tool. One that you can load the map-dump into, it should have functions for counting tile distances (every tile on the dump is a pixel), drawing in locations and naming them, aswell as a seperate cave-layer that you can plan your cave layouts on and save them.

Very nice!

Edit:

All very good ideas, although i am not to sure on how i would do the in game time/date without somehow interfering with the client.

And i really like the mapping ideas, though i can't make any promises on the extensive map tool as i am still learning, but i will try.

I have updated it so that now you click a button to start the prayer timer after you have prayed. I have also added a system tray icon so that when you minimize it, it goes to the system tray beside the clock. When you mouse over it, it shows server status and time until you have to pray if the prayer timer is enabled. I will also have it display a popup box when any of the servers have gone down, if the user wants it to that is.

Sounds very useful already, hope your getting lost of experience from it, totally agree on learning by doing , so much better to hit a problem on the project and go research it, than reading alot of information cold.

Good luck look forward to using the end result :)

Sounds very useful already, hope your getting lost of experience from it, totally agree on learning by doing , so much better to hit a problem on the project and go research it, than reading alot of information cold.

Good luck look forward to using the end result :)

Thank you.

I was planning on releasing a beta version as soon as i get at least 1 "tool" in each tab, i have 3 more tabs to go.

The next thing i would like to do is make a small house planner.

Maybe a prospecting tool? Enter in where you prospected, where there are existing tunnels and other blockages, then click a button that would have it show areas where the ore could and couldn't be.

Another update!

I have changed around the prayer timer, now you make your first prayer before activating the timer, then you go to wurm tool and start the timer (Select if you want it to make a noise or not) then it will repeat the timer 4 times, displaying a pop-up and a making a noise if you choose, since if you are in full screen mode the pop-up will stay behind the wurm client.

I have also added a sleep bonus calculator, you put in how many hours you will sleep in the bed and it will tell you how many minutes/hours of sleep bonus you will have.

And last but not least, a healing cover calculator. Select the two items you will combine and it will tell you what power healing cover they will make.

I have also added a tray icon that will display server status and time till you have to pray (if the prayer timer is activated). It will also display a pop-up balloon if one of the servers goes down.

Screenshot:

wurmtoolprev3jm4.jpg

Would be nice if you could just select which server(s) you are interested in (e.g. always login and one of the others) so dont get "MR Home is down" when you only play on Wild etc. (series of checkboxes one per server?)

Would be nice if you could just select which server(s) you are interested in (e.g. always login and one of the others) so dont get "MR Home is down" when you only play on Wild etc. (series of checkboxes one per server?)