Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Remove Trolls Bashing on Deed

Words can not begin describe how much this irritates me.

Freedom is a creative cluster. Having your village destroyed by a troll overnight is not what players came here for. Besides, the original intent of creatures bashing walls was to prevent dragons from being penned; Rolf made it so trolls bash too just because he thought it was "cool." If you want your village destroyed then move to epic; DO NOT degrade the gameplay of others.

I don't know what else to say to a simple point.

1. Hire a templar or 2 and set them to attack aggros. This should take care of the trolls before they get a chance to bash unless your walls are butted up against the deed border.

2. Don't hire templars and deal with the trolls and their actions yourself.

3. Dig a moat around your deed to bar the trolls.

4. Move to an island or make a new one.

I don't know what else to say to a simple point.

1. Hire a templar or 2 and set them to attack aggros. This should take care of the trolls before they get a chance to bash unless your walls are butted up against the deed border.

2. Don't hire templars and deal with the trolls and their actions yourself.

3. Dig a moat around your deed to bar the trolls.

4. Move to an island or make a new one.

Um you are on a PvP server.......Trolls should be trolls and bash... crush... kill.

Um you are on a PvP server.......Trolls should be trolls and bash... crush... kill.

PvP=Player versus Player. Other players are possible to predict, possible to fend against, and other players can't even freakin bash on our deeds right now, but trolls can! Other players don't 1 hit kill 70ql tall stone walls. Other players don't bash walls while fighting a templar.

Edited by Protunia

Are you TRYING to be an idiot, Protunia? For one thing, they CAN one hit a 70ql tall stone wall. For another, there is no correlation between PvP and trolls bashing a deed. Trolls bash on ALL servers.

He's not going to remove it nor should he. It applies on all servers and since trolls arnt players it is in no direct way a pvp issue. Which means its fine for all servers. I've still yet to see where it was laid down at freedoms founding that ,all deed owners shall live in perfect peace and harmony with absolutely no danger, interuptions or other PvE elements that a deed owner may not want.

He's not going to remove it nor should he. It applies on all servers and since trolls arnt players it is in no direct way a pvp issue. Which means its fine for all servers. I've still yet to see where it was laid down at freedoms founding that ,all deed owners shall live in perfect peace and harmony with absolutely no danger, interuptions or other PvE elements that a deed owner may not want.

As much as Rolf flips flops on things you have no more clue than anyone if Rolf would leave it as is or remove it.

PvP is player vrs player, Chaos is not PvR , player vrs Rolf.

The whole troll bashing deal was put in to stop people from penning dragons, which in practice failed horribly, adding things like this does little more than piss people off, it doesnt add any fear, danger or excitement to a game that already sorely lacks any semblance of PvE, I cant speak for everyone but terraforming and building keeps me playing, not the content or the excitement of animals or trolls killing me on deed and the danger that ensues.

Edited by Protunia

I am sorry, But I like the fact there are some kind of dangers in Wurm here and there every once in awhile and the game is not just some Sim Farm Copy with land scaping and building houses.

What dangers? the exact same thing happening every greifing rule protects against?

What dangers? the exact same thing happening every greifing rule protects against?

I guess they should change it so mobs never attack you as well??

Maybe change it so you never fail at anything?? would that make you happy?

The danger is the troll and him being a troll get used to it.

Edited by Protunia

He's not going to remove it nor should he. It applies on all servers and since trolls arnt players it is in no direct way a pvp issue.

Yes.... it is... It's an NPC that destroys and/or weakens your defenses making it easier to get raided. Especially on Chaos. You're not even supposed to be able to bash walls, but with this you can have a troll bash walls for you... The griefing potential is just endless...

The danger is not being killed by the freakin troll. The danger is the troll destroying your deed while you sleep, letting animals free and opening a whole for enemies.

Not having things that take time ( more time than any game on the planet I can think of offhand ) damaged during 12 -24 hours I might be offline working or sleeping etc. is beyond stupid, I'm quite capable of killing Trolls solo but I need to be logged into the game to do so, what you seem to have trouble grasping is damage done where you have no ability to battle, unless we all need 5 guards or more if it happens to be a champ.

I'm quite content with things being damaged on PvP servers by PvP players, the way it has always been, if you honestly believe one mob destroying fences is a great addition and the pathway to gaining a wider playerbase in a game that lacks pretty much anything in the way of PvE content, I can say little more to convince you the sheer amount mindboggling I get reading your replies.

Rolf has introduced Troll bashing and Cave Bugs destroying mines in the few PvE interactions with creatures I have seen, outside of taming and breeding, neither have added anything to the game besides frustration and sometimes a push to those already wondering what to do when you have built everything and killed everything the game has to offer.

I fully agree the game could do with some PvE content involving creatures, how I don't know, but the few times Rolf has bothered trying they have been pretty big failures in my opinion, perhaps he could explore this angle of the game with someone else at the lead.

Seriously, if there is anything that at times makes me just want to QUIT this game, it is the idea that it is somehow "fun" to have random large scale destruction of your work when you are not even online to participate as a part of the story. Sorry but the tunneling bugs thing was completely idiotic and this trolls bashing on deeds is only slightly below that. I would go to the PVP servers if I thought it was "fun" to log in and find all my work destroyed while I was offline, hahaha. Seriously Rolf, this is a STUPID STUPID GAMEPLAY MECHANIC and it is seriously something you need to give some thought to.

Here's the thing -- the stories we live through in Wurm, the things we remember even years later about the game, have to do with the adventures and experiences we PARTICIPATE in, that become interwoven as a part of the daily lives of our characters. We don't PARTICIPATE when we login to the game, eager to play, and find our walls smashed down, animals missing or stolen, theives and griefers given free entry, all because something that happened while we were offline and non-participating and had zero ability to counter. There is no excitement or fear or adrenaline from such moments, no feeling we are participants in a living world. Instead this is only irritation and dull resentment at being made into a passive helpless victim, instead of an active part of the story.

Put more roaming dangerous creature out in the world if you will, make travel something dangerous and unpredictable but also rewarding, give us motivations to get off our deeds from time to time so that we don't become flabby and complacent. Put in more unexpected moments and times when we have to react to changing circumstances. Times when we feel scared and times when we feel triumphant. But please just realize that randomly destroying players work while they are offline has ZERO gameplay appeal. None. Zilch. You are turning this into a passive reaction gameplay instead of being an active part of the story.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 6

Hmm...just thought of something, not sure if it would work...what if trolls only bash a village's walls if someone in the village is online, and for a window of time after they log off? That means it only happens while you have a chance to fight it.

Hmm...just thought of something, not sure if it would work...what if trolls only bash a village's walls if someone in the village is online, and for a window of time after they log off? That means it only happens while you have a chance to fight it.

That doesn't solve anything; the troll bashes right away before you know that a troll randomly strolled over to your walls. The damage and annoyance is already given before the troll can die.

It seems like a better situation than what we have now though. kos all trolls, and even if one spawns and damages your walls, you're online so you can find out and fix the damage before you log off.

Edited by meiyeeer

At least drastically reduce the damage they cause to walls, although simply doing away with this foolishness would be much easier for everyone.

Seriously, if there is anything that at times makes me just want to QUIT this game, it is the idea that it is somehow "fun" to have random large scale destruction of your work when you are not even online to participate as a part of the story. Sorry but the tunneling bugs thing was completely idiotic and this trolls bashing on deeds is only slightly below that. I would go to the PVP servers if I thought it was "fun" to log in and find all my work destroyed while I was offline, hahaha. Seriously Rolf, this is a STUPID STUPID GAMEPLAY MECHANIC and it is seriously something you need to give some thought to.

Here's the thing -- the stories we live through in Wurm, the things we remember even years later about the game, have to do with the adventures and experiences we PARTICIPATE in, that become interwoven as a part of the daily lives of our characters. We don't PARTICIPATE when we login to the game, eager to play, and find our walls smashed down, animals missing or stolen, theives and griefers given free entry, all because something that happened while we were offline and non-participating and had zero ability to counter. There is no excitement or fear or adrenaline from such moments, no feeling we are participants in a living world. Instead this is only irritation and dull resentment at being made into a passive helpless victim, instead of an active part of the story.

Put more roaming dangerous creature out in the world if you will, make travel something dangerous and unpredictable but also rewarding, give us motivations to get off our deeds from time to time so that we don't become flabby and complacent. Put in more unexpected moments and times when we have to react to changing circumstances. Times when we feel scared and times when we feel triumphant. But please just realize that randomly destroying players work while they are offline has ZERO gameplay appeal. None. Zilch. You are turning this into a passive reaction gameplay instead of being an active part of the story.

This. There are those of us on the PVE servers that have RL to deal with. We should not have to be punished or have to by even more guards just to protect us for having a Real Life.

If you wanna keep a sentient angry musclebound biped with opposable thumbs as captive you should have to do the work.

PS - opposable flagged as a spelling error? Wrong.