Sign in to follow this  
Trenith

Hitching Post included within is a model

Hitching Post:

1 log -> Crafted into a "unfinished hitching post"

1 Ring (Metal type doesn't matter)

1 unfinished Horse Head Ornament -> Created by smelting metal then hammering it into shape to finish you apply the ring to the horse head ornament

Activate Finished Horse Head Orgnament and "continue buidling" onto the unfinished hitching post. End result is a "Hitching Post"

Skills used: Jewelry Smithing for both the ornament and ring and carpentry for the post and final result

---------------------

Code the hitching the same way large carts are. Unhitch-ing only to be done by the person who hitched the animal or by the mayor of the deed.

---------------------

Rough model done by me, not a pro in the 3d modeling department willing to speak with any of the art contributors or anyone who knows 3d graphics on how to improve this:

9YVq7.png

+1

Make the person who put the horse have control of the hitching post until the horse is removed.

Also have the person who made the post ability to remove the horse as well. (or have a way to remove the horse just in case someone just leaves it there, maybe a time delay)

Obviously means they need to be implemented as they are a highly desired item.

Exactly. Also, I don't particularly care what model they use (yours is awesome, and I don't know if the one in antonslavick's first link is a model or just photoshopped).

It would be interesting to see if this does get implemented faster than other ideas because you are willing to provide the model....

They may not use the model persay. I recal something about copyright and such being an issue.

Yes

big

+1

i was actually doing things yesterday, and this thought occurred... i'm very glad to see this suggested :D

I like your model

This is lacking a lot of information about how the posts should work. Why do we need hitching posts? Once that question is answered we can further elaborate by answering other questions:

Is it planted like a post? If so, is planting subject to a cool down time like signs, or perhaps they should be like lamp posts.

Who can remove a post? Where can these posts be planted? How fast should they decay?

Should these posts be really heavy to make it difficult to carry them around, or perhaps the opposite to give players a temporary portable securing tool.

If we make it too easy to plant and hitch up animals we will see these things all over the place. If they are easy to make and place the hitch time should be limited to one real life day.

If they where really hard to make, hard to transport and require magic I can see them being used to store animals in a BSB-like manner.

-  An ascetic use where you tie up your animals while visiting friends. It can be a hassle to lead an animal around in another deed and weird to ride it into houses.

- A more functional point might be a place to leave your draft animals while filling up the cart. although I'd rather be able to just lead the animals in this example.

- Perhaps someone just wants a place to store animals and doesn't want to bother with fences.

- Used for animal storage (bulk storage bin code), removes the animal from the creature count and stores it for later use.

+1.  Yeah, I like this idea.  Some suggestions: 

• Use the same code / timer for planting signs and lamps. 
  • Primary use:  security. Making sure someone doesn't walk off with your horse while you're fishing or shopping.
  • To encourage this, make it impossible to do most mundane tasks (such as fishing or trading) from horseback.
  • Also, make it possible for someone with high Thievery skill to unhitch your horse surreptitiously.  Maybe even make a new skill under the Thievery tree, call it "Rustling."