Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Trolls bashing and spirit templars.

I have 70 FS and a 70ql drake set(well, I did until this morning) trolls are no trouble to kill. The problem is, to add more fence layers I'd have to expand my deed, adding MORE upkeep than a templar.

So you only have to make multiple fence layers around your deed and have 70 fs + a drake set. And here I thought there was something wrong with this...

That alone that you describe "good" deed planning based on troll protection ability shows how broken this mechanic is. Sure on epic you fence around the deed anyway, but I personally love it that on freedom you don't have to.

Anyway, this thread clearly shows that there are people who hate the bashing an there are others who say "deal with it". No one said a single a word about how or why is it good or required.

To sum it up: Serves no purpose. No one likes it. Remove it!

PS.: By serves no purpose I mean that officially it's there to prevent people penning aggros, yet this only stops you penning those that actually bash, plus you can still pen them on islands. Just let them freely cross fences/doors and there's a grief-free solution for the same thing. If the intention was to make troll/fiend more dangerous than it fails, cause they are only more annoying now. The only thing this does is causing damage without any reason.

And if it's really a fund raising effort than Rolf should just drop it and double deed upkeep instead. That's way too cheap anyway IMO (just compare the "value" of a 10s upkeep deed to having a premium account).

From today's notes...

"Settlement guards will now hunt in the closest perimeter of a settlement."

This means, to me, that guards should engage creatures in the tiles immediately around your deed perimeter, meaning that ondeed walls should be much safer.

Aye, the templars still (today) ignore aggro animals in the first tile perimeter off  deed, as so I am not really sure what the launcher notes meant either.

You live in an area shared with trolls, and don't think you should have to make extra efforts to protect yourself from them?

You definitely have a different idea of what this game is about.

My only complaints are that I have to much trash mobs to clear out everyday, and that the neighbours empty, abandoned deed has a guard which steals and average of 2 kills an hour from the area, and because of the way mobs seem to move, they are mostly better FS than the cats, rats and spiders I get, as well as leaving mountains of dead bodies around the hillside.

Anyway, this thread clearly shows that there are people who hate the bashing an there are others who say "deal with it". No one said a single a word about how or why is it good or required.

To sum it up: Serves no purpose. No one likes it. Remove it!

It's good and required, leave it in.

Wurm is a survival game, and you live in an area which includes aggressive creatures.  Your deed is not meant to automatically be an isolated island of safety.

Ha. Ha. Mala, in case you didn't notice, 1 spirit templar used to be easily able to solo a troll. Now they can't. Trolls did not used to bash fences on deed. Now they do. It's not protecting myself from the trolls, it's protecting my stuff when I'm not online 24/7.

Ha. Ha. Mala, in case you didn't notice, 1 spirit templar used to be easily able to solo a troll. Now they can't. Trolls did not used to bash fences on deed. Now they do. It's not protecting myself from the trolls, it's protecting my stuff when I'm not online 24/7.

Yes, you need to protect your stuff.

I didn't notice that guards were much weaker, mainly because I don't have any. 

I have fought trolls recently, and while they are harder, they seem more in line with what they should be as one of the toughest spawns in the game.

Yes obviously I know trolls bash fences, that's what the thread was about.

If many people think that templar's are not strong enough, then perhaps that can be tweaked.  Having them "easily able to solo a troll" was broken; trolls are fearsome and should always be trouble.  Having a single templar should not be a cure for a local troll spawn.  I would expect a templar is at best, as a paid for game feature, equal to a troll, so a 50/50 fight solo.

But I was disagreeing with "Serves no purpose. No one likes it. Remove it!"  I believe it serves exactly it's purpose, and I like it.  It may need some tweaking, but the idea is good.

I agree that the idea is good, and trolls are plenty strong, but I do not feel that I should have to pay even MORE for safety than I already do. Before trolls started bashing, my upkeep was the minimum of 1s per month. Now it is over 2s.

as others have said u dont have to pay rolf at all. go find a nice little spot somewhere not near troll turf and make a nice little home and put up a little wood fence and live a happy life. u choose to stay where u are and to do battle with the troll gang each and every day. the choice is yours

THE CHOICE WAS NOT MINE, MORONS!!!! I'm sick of everyone saying that, I made my deed out here BEFORE trolls caused this problem.

You live in an area shared with trolls, and don't think you should have to make extra efforts to protect yourself from them?

(fence bashing mobs are bad, remove it!)

Wurm is a survival game, and you live in an area which includes aggressive creatures.  Your deed is not meant to automatically be an isolated island of safety.

Go to Wurm's home page and read the section title "What can I do in Wurm?". Pay special attention that this survival concept isn't described at all.

So What gives your the right to decide how others players should play? If a fenced off deed was protected from mobs how would this affect you or your game play? Seems to me it would actually enhance it as fenced deeds kill less wild aggro. Also, from a historical precedence aspect no-mob-bash fences have a long history of working just fine.

How about a new type of guard that prevents all mobs(including unique) from coming withing 5 tiles of village tiles? Essentially mobs will never path find onto a deed, we could even apply this for mobs doing a attack path find.

(fence bashing mobs are bad, remove it!)

Go to Wurm's home page and read the section title "What can I do in Wurm?". Pay special attention that this survival concept isn't described at all.

So What gives your the right to decide how others players should play? If a fenced off deed was protected from mobs how would this affect you or your game play? Seems to me it would actually enhance it as fenced deeds kill less wild aggro. Also, from a historical precedence aspect no-mob-bash fences have a long history of working just fine.

How about a new type of guard that prevents all mobs(including unique) from coming withing 5 tiles of village tiles? Essentially mobs will never path find onto a deed, we could even apply this for mobs doing a attack path find.

I didn't decide how others should play, I expressed an opinion, based on how I play, about liking a recent change, ansd disagreeing that nobody liked it.

We offer no character classes, quests or a pre-built environment. Instead, we offer players the opportunity to choose their own direction and to train any or all of the skills they desire while in a living, breathing and evolving world entirely built and maintained by the players that inhabit it.

My opinion is that this change is a part of that statement, and no where does it say the world is maintained by spirit guards.  Personally, at least for PvE, I'd like to see spirit guards removed, and tower guards downgraded or removed, though I'll conceed that would be perhaps to hardcore and even more unpopular.

I think you misunderstood something there. I (and I guess most people) have a problem with trolls bashing your fences while you are offline - and only "for fun" - which results in your animals escaping, or if its offdeed people stealing everything you have in there. Please explain to me how is that good or required? It has absolutely nothing to do with survival as there is a good chance you aren't even there when it happens.

I don't mind trolls being tough, I'm even fine with them bashing fences when chasing someone, but I heavily dislike them ruining my work without me having any reasonable chance to prevent it (having 3+ guards only for this is not reasonable).