Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Simple fixes & changes thread

Please note that I'm going to try to avoid adding anything that would require massive amounts of work to implement - or things that have been shot down with extreme prejudice by the Wurm community time after time.  Don't ask for gunpowder or steam power, for instance.

This is intended to be a "pick and choose" list for Developers, for both client and server - what would seem to be small, yet useful additions to the game.

2) A simple system to repair mine floors should be created such as, activate a rock shard, target one corner and apply to raise it 1 slope same as dropping 1 dirt would do above ground. Still time consuming (if that is some sort of virtue) to repair excessive slopes but yet an effective way to make floors level with corners that are slight dips.

3) Add a tool to measure slopes in mines

4) Add a Portfolio - nodrop container, created from 1KG leather and a couple rivits.  1 writ fits inside per QL.  All writs in the portfolio are configured exactly the same.  You do not manage the writs, you manage the portfolio, and it changes all writs inside so they are the same.  You can have multiple portfolios, and configure each set of writs individually.  Makes things easier, and also acts as a BSB for writs.

5) Allow 'TAKE' key bind to pull max quantity from BSB into inventory rather than having to select->drag->hit enter.  This might be best implemented as a choice in the settings to enable the feature.

6) Allow dogs and cows to breed different colors like horses, but keep wolves in a distinctive pattern with the dog shape.

7) Keyrings.  Player made.

9 - Only allow token drains if you are standing on the tile that the token is on.  Trying to rewrite interaction code for all items would be bad, but I'd think a single exception type for tokens should not be that hard if you classify draining as a spell-type action with a same tile range, rather than a token based action?

10) Never draw mine entrances covered with doors.  Show the doors themselves only when in range to see the door.  For rock doors, display them as rock no matter what the distance.

11) Allow prospecting at 70 skill to indicate there are one or more tunnels or mine passage within range of prospecting.

12) Add the missing titles.

13) Goats, sheep, other animal types.  Reindeer or Yaks on tundra?  Seals?

14) Traders should be able to accept items in trade worth more than what the trader is giving.  Requiring exact change is completely absurd when you are giving a merchant MORE than they are asking for.

15) Merchants should be allowed to buy items like dirt, planks, etc, (with no QL requirements) and use the player's bank for the purchases.  Perhaps require this to be a different type of NPC, a "Buyer" rather than a Merchant.

16) Gender changing potions for sale on Traders, as kingdom items.

17) Allow horsecarts through normal doors until barn doors are implemented.

18) Implement Barn Doors which will allow horsecarts to enter buildings.

19) Allow taking a pile of items without having to open it, no matter how many items are in the pile, unless there are too many items or too much weight to fit in inventory - then require choosing.

20) Modify ship models so that the captain of a larger ship such as a corbita or cog can open its inventory hold without having to get on it as a passenger. (I'm not sure about this one - it makes sense that the person piloting a cargo ship that size might not be able to access the cargo hold.  I think Knarrs, being raiding longboats in our game at least, are an exception to the larger ship access rule.)

21) Some color variation on Tundra.  Maybe random grass / bush clumps with seasonal color based on what would normally be tree positions.

22) Books that players can create and record text in.  Turn furs into Vellum using leatherworking, 20x vellum plus a plank + rivits = book using fine carpentry.  Metal pen made with jewelrysmithing fill with octopus ink, use on book.  This would likely need to be a multi-part project, but can easily be broken down into progressive steps over time.

23) Custom channels, generated within the user interface, with password protection as an option.

24) Cross server channels, generated within the user interface, with password protection as an option.

26) New recipes to allow creation of multiple simple, first-stage unimprovable items like nails, rivets, strings, arrow heads.  Perhaps tie this in with title levels.  A recipe for 2 at a time at 50, 3 at a time at 70, 4 at a time at 90.  Perhaps increase timers and reduce quality to some extent to prevent high end crafters from completely owning the mass market on these items, while still helping reduce Carpal Tunnel.

27) Remove tunneling / mining behavior of beasts unless / until #2 and #3 are implemented.

28) Fix the spell lists accessed from the altars so it actually shows all the spells you can cast - it always fails to display the most advanced spell.

30) Create a way to transport non-swimming animals by boat.  Allow swimming animals to also be transported in this manner.  Perhaps limited to boats larger than sailboats.

31) Allow players to invite other players to team and other custom channels (see #23 / 24) without having to actually right click on them directly.

32) Manage boats and large carts with writs like houses.

33) Adjust and/or add new creation menus so that they are more concise and make more sense - some of them are absurdly long and complex, like miscellaneous smithing creation on anvils.

34) Allow us to move chat tabs side to side on the chat interface without having to delete and re-open them.

35) Expand vessel-able items.  Amber from woodcutting and fossils from digging, to allow all priests the ability to harvest vessel-able items.

36) Allow mailboxes to be able to send and receive any item that a character can carry.

37) Add a feature to reinforce mine floors and ceilings to prevent or at least slow mining actions drastically.

38) Actions with timers that do not currently have timing feedback could use an implementation to help keep players sane.  "You need to wait another 13 minutes before you pray / meditate again" or "You do not feel like you could gain any further learning from meditating again today" or "Your faith would not be improved by more praying today, though you can always practice your prayer methods"

39) Meditation actions should all have timers long enough to allow people to back out of an action, or a confirmation screen.  Accidentally using an instant timer action that is only useable once every few hours, or even only 1x per day, is frustrating.

40) Use furs as a taming item for meat eating animals, that they will only accept if they are full? "The young dog ignores the fur." on a fail.  "The young dog wrestles with you for the fur, and soon you give it to them to play with.  Your relationship with the animal is stronger now." on a success.

41) use spoons, forks, knives cutlery, or get rid of them.  They confuse people by simply existing.

42) Eliminate metal scraps.  Instead of scraps 10% of the QL of the original metal, create new lumps at 10% of the QL.

44) Allow pelts to fit in altars for sacrifice.

45 Touching on PVP here, but can we get a death timer?  For instance, after a player dies three or four times in an hour, make the respawn timer 1 minute and start doubling the timer each time if you die within 10 minutes of respawning, until you reach 16 minute respawns.  Once you stay alive for 1 hour, reset death timer.  This stops absurd abuse of free accounts as infinite norisk harrassing defenders.

46) Improve writ options and mine door access options with additional GLOBAL CHECKBOX clarifications on permissions to allow classes of persons, like friends, villagers, allies to have advanced access to the contents of a house, or mine door passage rights without management rights if desired.  Having to set up every single person individually for access options is tedious to the extreme.

47) Allow logged off players in a boat to cross servers in the Epic cluster - so we do not have to share passwords to get our characters home when a quick raid turns into an all night adventure.

48) Fix horses so that their speeds adjust more rapidly to the weight being carried by the player.  Sometimes it takes 30+ seconds to update the speed of a horse after you pick up or drop something heavy.

49) Fix trees so that they don't get jammed underground and inacessable.  A simple way to do this might be to create a "tail" of ripped wood & bark (from when the tree was chopped down) that sticks straight up in the air a couple feet, and is targetable for actions.  Failing that, make them fit in piles so we can gather them by creating piles.

50) Storebought item to change the weather in simple ways for 24 hours gametime, a couple hours real time.  Fog or no fog, or wind reversal.

51) Allow mayors of towns to rename ondeed containers.  http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=50379.0

52) Allow creation of stone anchors, unrepairable, which damage quickly over time or with each use to keep lead anchors valuable.

53) Allow right click combine on combinable stacks of items as an option when right clicking the header item.

54) Re-implement mine entrances inside buildings.  Nobody ever understood why this extremely useful feature was removed.

55) Add sickles as starter tools, allow creation of crude sickles, or perhaps allow carving knives to cut damaged sprouts.

56) Add fish noodling to let people catch catfish in walkable depth water without fishing poles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling

57) Add a way to sell containers with items in them, or combinations of items on merchants.  Locks and keys for example, or a set of enchanted pendulums, or a barrel of 100 pegs or oats.

58) Make it possible to push unfinished towers to reposition them before they are completed, OR make it impossible to to add to an unfinished tower if there is either an unfinished, OR a finished tower too close.  You would then need to make unfinished towers much easier to destroy, or people would scatter huge numbers of 40 brick towers around the countryside.

60) You do not sharpen frying pans and chain armor.  Change the verb used for whetstone from sharpen to grind.

61) Implement a right click option on houses that do not belong to you which will allow you to create a contract to buy which will then be sent to the owner of the house.

62) Fix fruit press false negative reports:

[14:07:42] You fill the fruit press with olive oil.

[14:07:42] You failed to create an olive oil.

BUT - I actually did make the oil...

Any other simple fixes people would like to see?

Items below have been addressed.  This is an effort to prevent the upper section of active requests from getting unreadable:

43) Add some sort of use for leather scraps. It is now possible to make leather by using a needle on leather scraps.  4.5kg of scraps was mentioned as a possible minimum mass of leather scraps for the combination.

29) Allow us to modify our FoV to some degree in graphics settings.  The current settings apparently make some people ill on modern monitors.  FOV can now be modified.

25) Less direct moderation, add a /report feature that calls moderators if people are getting out of control. Removed - as pointed out elsewhere we have the muting feature, and we have Oracle if we feel we have legitimate problems with a CM

8:) Fix affinity gaining process so they are not lost when you gain an affinity on a skill that is not unlocked yet. This has possibly been fixed as of 16/17 DEC 2011 - please pipe up if anyone sees it again.

1) Allow us to use a saw or axe on a corpse to segment it into 80kg pieces, if it is 160+ kg.  Other methods of destroying heavy corpses would be fine too. All corpses are 50kg now, I have been told, so corpse handling should be trivial now.  Perhaps too trivial?  But I'm not looking at the gift horse too closely. :)

59) Change the description of small carts to remove reference to animals pulling them.  Because they can't. Whups - according to Rhazul, this has already been fixed!

+1 to the above items (except maybe the saw thing, I guess it'd be handy for corpse in mine removal).

The following are daily annoyances that involve repeated key clicks without having anything to do with game play or skill gain.

4) Check box to 'add all citizens' to a writ.  With 20+ writs and that many or more villagers writ management is a pain in the .

5) Allow 'TAKE' key bind to pull max quantity from BSB into inventory rather than having to select->drag->hit enter.  I'd be happy with this rather than drag straight to container as others have suggested since that is a bit OP.

4) Check box to 'add all citizens' to a writ.  With 20+ writs and that many or more villagers writ management is a pain in the . 

Maybe go look again at some of your current writs, under the lock/unlock section not add-friends section. Unless this is unique to Indy, they already added this in:

all_citizens_to_enter.JPG

I used allow allies to enter and my allies were still unable to pick anything up.  So went back to adding them individually.

Maybe go look again at some of your current writs, under the lock/unlock section not add-friends section. Unless this is unique to Indy, they already added this in:

all_citizens_to_enter.JPG

That is merely to allow general access.  You have to add the person(s) individually to have the ability to pick things up.  This is horribly worse on pvp servers, as you have to individually add toooons of people to a writ for pick up / repairing.

+1 to the above items (except maybe the saw thing, I guess it'd be handy for corpse in mine removal).

The following are daily annoyances that involve repeated key clicks without having anything to do with game play or skill gain.

5) Allow 'TAKE' key bind to pull max quantity from BSB into inventory rather than having to select->drag->hit enter.  I'd be happy with this rather than drag straight to container as others have suggested since that is a bit OP.

#4 Already exists as noted above, but I remembered an idea I had floating around in my head, and it's related so I substituted it :)

5) You can already do this by drag and press enter, but I can see the benefit to it, so I added it.

Added #6 based on comments from Alyeska

Added #7 based on memories of prior suggestions.

How do you breed different color dogs like horses?  Dogs have conditions (greenish, champ, etc) whereas horses and cows do not.  I'd guess it could be limited to different colors like horses, if the condition isn't passed down to the offspring, or if both parents are plain dogs?

How do you breed different color dogs like horses?  Dogs have conditions (greenish, champ, etc) whereas horses and cows do not.  I'd guess it could be limited to different colors like horses, if the condition isn't passed down to the offspring, or if both parents are plain dogs?

Markings?  Forehead blazes, brindle stripes, socks, etc?

k then..

Stop Token draining of deeds where the person cannot really see the token or is not able to get to the Token Tile.

Like through Tall Stone Walls, Dirt, Over Fences, etc...

This is more of a glitch than the player actually doing something.

The Player should have to stand on the tile the Token is on.

If they have to bash the wall or fence or remove the dirt wall area that should be part of game play and not simply gotten around by using some kind of glitch where they can target the token from miles away through things or over things.

k then..

Stop Token draining of deeds where the person cannot really see the token or is not able to get to the Token Tile.

Like through Tall Stone Walls, Dirt, Over Fences, etc...

This is more of a glitch than the player actually doing something.

The Player should have to stand on the tile the Token is on.

I'm not sure how simple this would actually be, though if it's limited to only acting on tokens it would likely be doable.  Trying to restrict ranges on many other less-then-plausable long range actions would likely require a rewrite of the entire interaction system, which I don't think would fit in the realm of simple.  Adding as #9, but for tokens only.

Cmon folks - need some more ideas that seem to be reasonably simple that you believe would have a good impact on the game.  I know they are out there.  I've seen dozens of them over the years, but I'm not going to break my brain trying to remember them all.

All that it would take is that they must STAND on the tokens actual tile not the edge of the border of the next tile or the next tile, which means breaking down the fences and working for it.

Why should players lose real life money to a glitch or bad design?

hovering the token through defenses from far away is not working for it.

All that it would take is that they must STAND on the tokens actual tile not the edge of the border of the next tile or the next tile, which means breaking down the fences and working for it.

Why should players lose real life money to a glitch or bad design?

hovering the token through defenses from far away is not working for it.

Eh, I agree with you, but only for tokens.

Allow horsecarts through normal doors until the fabled "barn door" is in.

Allow horsecarts through normal doors until the fabled "barn door" is in.

Split in two and added to the list

1) Allow us to use a saw or axe on a corpse to segment it into 80kg pieces, if it is 160+ kg

2) Allow us to build up rock floors in mines using mortar and shards and a trowel

3) Add a tool to measure slopes in mines

4) Add a Portfolio - nodrop container, created from 1KG leather and a couple rivits.  1 writ fits inside per QL.  All writs in the portfolio are configured exactly the same.  You do not manage the writs, you manage the portfolio, and it changes all writs inside so they are the same.  You can have multiple portfolios, and configure each set of writs individually.  Makes things easier, and also acts as a BSB for writs.

5) Allow 'TAKE' key bind to pull max quantity from BSB into inventory rather than having to select->drag->hit enter.  This might be best implemented as a choice in the settings to enable the feature.

6) Allow dogs and cows to breed different colors like horses, but keep wolves in a distinctive pattern with the dog shape.

7) Keyrings.  Player made.

8 - Fix affinity gaining process so they are not lost when you gain an affinity on a skill that is not unlocked yet.

9 - Only allow token drains if you are standing on the tile that the token is on.  Trying to rewrite interaction code for all items would be bad, but I'd think a single exception type for tokens should not be that hard if you classify draining as a spell-type action with a same tile range, rather than a token based action?

10) Never draw mine entrances covered with doors.  Show the doors themselves only when in range to see the door.  For rock doors, display them as rock no matter what the distance.

11) Allow prospecting at 70 skill to indicate there are one or more tunnels or mine passage within range of prospecting.

12) Add the missing titles.

13) Goats, sheep, other animal types.  Reindeer or Yaks on tundra?  Seals?

14) Traders should be able to accept items in trade worth more than what the trader is giving.  Requiring exact change is completely absurd when you are giving a merchant MORE than they are asking for.

15) Merchants should be allowed to buy items like dirt, planks, etc, (with no QL requirements) and use the player's bank for the purchases.  Perhaps require this to be a different type of NPC, a "Buyer" rather than a Merchant.

16) Gender changing potions for sale on Traders, as kingdom items.

17) Allow horsecarts through normal doors until barn doors are implemented.

18) Implement Barn Doors which will allow horsecarts to enter buildings.

1)  Useless really

2)  +1

3)  +1

4)  -1

5)  +1

6)  -1

7) +1

8  +1

9  -1

10)  I think its a bug

11) Better yet make it so at 70 prospecting you can prospect for a vein inside a cave. At 70 it would tell it in a 3 tile radius at 80 4 and at 90 5

12)  +1

13)  Work in progress

14)  +1

15) . +1

16)  +1

17)  +1

18)  +1

Yes being able to take a pile of items without having to open it if it has too many items and fixing the ship models so that the captain of a larger ship such as a corbita or cog can open its inventory hold without having to get on it as a passanger.

Yes being able to take a pile of items without having to open it if it has too many items and fixing the ship models so that the captain of a larger ship such as a corbita or cog can open its inventory hold without having to get on it as a passanger.

Added two items to the list.

19) Allow taking a pile of items without having to open it, no matter how many items are in the pile, unless there are too many items or too much weight to fit in inventory - then require choosing.

20) Modify ship models so that the captain of a larger ship such as a corbita or cog can open its inventory hold without having to get on it as a passenger. (I'm not sure about this one - it makes sense that the person piloting a cargo ship that size might not be able to access the cargo hold.  I think Knarrs, being raiding longboats in our game at least, are an exception to the larger ship access rule.)

23) Custom channels, generated within the user interface, with password protection as an option.

24) Cross server channels, generated within the user interface, with password protection as an option.

25) Less direct moderation, add a /report feature that calls moderators if people are getting out of control.

Added a few more including the above

List continues to grow - up to 28 items now.

Could use more suggestions.  Simple things, or what you THINK would be simple things.

I'm keeping my eyes open for more good ideas, been finding a goodly number, but would love for some of them to come here.

Ability to invite people to a team chat from a command, and your local, village, or friends list so you didn't have to be standing in front of them.

Alliance chat. Although I guess some of that might be covered under custom channels.

+1 to all

i was gonna answer to every point, but i was just overwhelmed with the overall greatness of possiable improvements u thought up.

ok i just add 1 suggestion

1. how about if we can use steel and flint on corpses to burn them up.

Implement Spellcasts allready pre-made deed-settings and settings for non-deed items. We really really need something usable instead of the illogical and often unusable mess we have to work with now!

deedsettings: http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=48249.0

settings non-deed objects: http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=48070.0

While I and others like these ideas you've linked to, it seems to me that they might be outside the "Simple" range.  I'm trying to keep this thread focused on relatively easy fixes and implementations.