Sign in to follow this  
Lobber

New Map for Exodus HERE

Should deed owners who do not want their settlement listed be removed from the map, for a fee?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Should deed owners who do not want their settlement listed be removed from the map, for a fee?

• No, the map is public property, and the community has the right to see all settlements listed. No change to the current system.
    • No, the deed owners who want their settlement removed should have them removed from the map, no charge. No private map with all settlements listed.
    • No, there should be two maps, one public with private settlements unlisted (no charge), and a privately distributed (pay to view) map with all settlements listed.
    • Yes, two maps, public map with private settlements removed for a fee, and a privately listed map with all settlements listed viewable for a fee.
    • Yes, the deed owners who want their settlement removed may be charged a fee for having their deed removed from the map. No private map with all settlements listed.
    • I want to suggest a different system, my idea is posted below.

There is no doubt in my mind that If people asked him nicely to remove their deed from the map, he would be happy to oblige.

But when a disgruntled pompous jumps out and instead of asking politely, starts flinging insults, abuse, slander, rabbling and threatening with kos.... you get the idea...

exodusmap20111122020.th.png

This is not an official release, but only a new layer added, the new layer being the official map dump. Now, can you tell the difference between a map dump and a non map dump?

Obviously this map is both highly accurate and highly inaccurate.

Accurate landmass.

But the locations of deeds can now be pinpointed precisely.

Also, my roads I drew need to be moved and adjusted.

So please take a look at your deed on the map, and give me its precise coordinates. If possible, take a copy of the small area around your deed, and drag or copy your deed to the right location, post to this thread, for precision placement on the map.

The next update will be published once every deed and road and other structure is properly moved. For example, my own deed is way off. And so is the deed on the Tundra Volcano, which I personally mapped wrong.

Thanks to everyone for supporting my map. Now we will have a most excellent map, thanks to this map dump.

There is no doubt in my mind that If people asked him nicely to remove their deed from the map, he would be happy to oblige.

But when a disgruntled pompous jumps out and instead of asking politely, starts flinging insults, abuse, slander, rabbling and threatening with kos.... you get the idea...

People have asked him nicely before the drama started, he didnt remove them, so you get the idea... instead he made a poll if he should charge money or not, when the poll ended over 70% was voting for the fact they should be removed w/o payment and he still didn't want to..

p.s. no one accused him for using it openly no, but enough have lol.

i also dont know why he didnt ask locals to name their own mountains or whatever, he just made up random stuff but that is a side thing

thou it seems that the map rolf made is from before the server opend to the public...

edit: while iam on it: iam sure rolf could in some way make a weekly update of the map, combine that with the info from the wurm DB for Deed locations / names and the google map api and you will have a pretty accurate community map.

Over year ago, I tried diligently to get something like that going. It didn't go well. If we the players had a tool to get x.y data, combined with frequent map releases, it would create an opportunity to make some really nice maps.

anywho....A GIANT THANK YOU, ROLF, FOR THE MAPS!

I actually spent quite a bit of time reading this quote over and over again... analysing it word for word because it has really got me baffled.

Are we talking about the same thing?

What you are telling me in that quote, or at least how I'm comprehending it... is that you don't know anyone who accused him publicly but you are aware of at least one person who has raised the issue of map dump with him privately. Is that true?

I actually spent quite a bit of time reading this quote over and over again... analysing it word for word because it has really got me baffled.

Are we talking about the same thing?

What you are telling me in that quote, or at least how I'm comprehending it... is that you don't know anyone who accused him publicly but you are aware of at least one person who has raised the issue of map dump with him privately. Is that true?

short version: yes, more then one

I'm not saying its an exact mapdumb, but it is definetly taken from one or hiding in there :)

ok... right.... now we are on the same wavelength.

So.... someone you know said to Lobber in private "You used a map dump!" (or something along these lines)

What was Lobber's response and was this person you by any chance?

Since someone added my deed ill make sure its right,

namnlsez.png

Port Exodus, x25 y8 just move it to the south east corner instead of north west

This is not an official release, but only a new layer added, the new layer being the official map dump. Now, can you tell the difference between a map dump and a non map dump?

Open up Lobber's old map in one browser tab, and Rolf's map in a second browser tab and "flip" between them.  If the map was *not* from a map dump, there would be some distortions in the continents, and some distances between objects (and map edge!) would be wrong.  Aside from the "pixelation" that was intentionally introduced, it's absolutely clear the map is from a map dump.

Open up Lobber's old map in one browser tab, and Rolf's map in a second browser tab and "flip" between them.  If the map was *not* from a map dump, there would be some distortions in the continents, and some distances between objects (and map edge!) would be wrong.  Aside from the "pixelation" that was intentionally introduced, it's absolutely clear the map is from a map dump.

thank you

I'm actually not going to pursue the recent discussion any more. It's going in circles and I realise now how pointless it is since there is now an official exo map dump.

Lobber and another player have both sent me the same chat log. I won't post the whole chat log publicly but basically that player went on an alt to try and manipulate info out of Lobber by posing as a map enthusiast.

It's obvious from that log that Lobber wants to protect the source of his information. That doesn't conclude that a map dump was used.

It's also clear that the alt was trying very hard to manipulate, incriminate and intent on discrediting Lobber.

[12:10:30] <??> If you admit its a mapdumb

[12:10:35] <??> we can say that you didnt work hard on it

[12:10:41] <??> and you had no real reason to charge people money at first

[12:10:46] <??> which you arent doing now

[12:11:34] <??> thats what i want

My final response...

As there is now an official map dump of exodus available... even if Lobber's map was made by use of that low res exo map dump circulating the web, it doesn't matter now.

As for the person on this alt, you know who you are. You should have better things to do with your time.

It was a very nice map and very useful, map dump or not.

It's 6am for me... i'm a DJ, i work late nights and have reversed sleep patterns. I'm going to bed, good morning.

Port Pineridge and the Wolf Settlements of middle Wolf Island.  Port Pineridge and Wolf's Cove are in their precise locations.  Wolf Heaven and Wolf's Ridge were placed relative to PPR and WC, so their locations may or may not need some fine tuning.  I have a .PSD of my alterations, should you want it.  I appreciate the map and all your work, keep it up.

middlewolfisland.png

x44 18y 

Guard tower i just behind Jerycho deed

We have Merchant not Trader

Official Major Map Update

• Replaced old map background with new Official Map Dump
  • Repositioned Settlements to accurate positions (I hope)
  • Redraw of Roads (Some roads still pending surveying)
  • Modification of Geography Names to be more visible
  • New Legend Terrain Icons Generated
  • Structures Moved (Guard Towers, Merchants, etc)
  • ETP Annex added (A non-deeded man-made peninsula)

Please reply to this thread if your Deed is not on the map yet, and I will add it.

Don't forget to include any additional structures such as

• Guard Towers (Must be completed)
  • Fountains, Wells (Containers with water)
  • Traders
  • Merchants
  • Man Made Geographical Adjustments (Canals, Land Bridges, Raised, Lowered, or Flattened Terrain)
  • Mailboxes (Must be enchanted, not decorations)

If you're already on the map, but your coordinates are inaccurate, please reply with a correction, Image of correction always welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Just added an Inn Icon. Get your Beds for Rent on the Map!

Map Updated

Settlements Added

Buildings Labeled

New Category Created: Landmark

Landmarks are Significant Structures and Constructions not on a deeded Settlement

We (Port Pineridge) have two fountains and a well if you'd care to list those.

28x

43y

East

Applewood Grove

Like 80% sure

Alright, with the new map dump and being able to see the small tar pit that is right off my deed I would like to change to the West side of the quad. Also I have a mailbox

looking at the new overlay it looks like my deed Rain, Meggie's hideaway, Stonefield Harbor and Paradise Falls all need to be moved down. My deed is right after the bottom of the sand bar, meggie's lies right above the sand bar and the other two should move also so they are in the same position in relation to our two deeds.

I did a correction of the local deed's location. In the official PNG, I did not find any layers, so I just moved the deed markers, creating nasty white holes. Sorry.

korrigiertlocal.png