Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Envisioning the situation on Valrei - web developers lookie lookie

Here's the data about what's going on on Valrei in xml format for your reading pleasure:

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/battles/entities.xml

We thought you'd like to host your own versions of the map.

You can use my two crude maps as base:

http://www.wurmonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ValreiMod.jpg

and the somewhat prettier

http://www.wurmonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ValreiWesn.jpg

Don't hesitate to make your own map though!

Until we can give you more background on the creatures you'll have to fantasize about how they look and how to represent them.

The items such as Source Bands or Crystal Jars will change between every scenario so they should have fairly generic representation. Source items give a bonus to the creature carrying them.

I guess if you make a good version you may get quite a few visitors and we may want to embed it in our site somwhere at www.wurmonline.com. Letting us do that is a prerequisite for using the xml and part of the deal.

If you want to include advertising somehow in the map in order to fund your effort we don't object to that and will link to it as long as we don't object to it. Note that we have no obligation to link to it.

Post links to any sites in this thread please.

I have no idea whats going on in the OP

like I get its asking for web dev help I think but I dont understand anything about the battles or what not

Not really asking for help per say, just offering some link space on the Wurm website if desired and appropriate.

My view is that this is Rolf giving us an idea of the kinds of things going on in the background of the map, to let us know who's doing well etc. Though apart from lib doing badly it seems, there's not much to go on just yet ;)

I had to ask what it means myself, gladly Gaeron could lead me to think in the right direction.

As i understood it:

These maps will show us what happens on Valrei (the playing field of the gods).

We as players can affect the movement of the icons on this board by our actions, specifically by the missions on Epic.

OP offers us the basic data so we can work on a map of the playing field.

(I dont expect that we get an in-depth explanation, but i would appreciate if we could get a little explanation.)

needs proper icons made but they are in the right place, it would be something like this attempt but a lot prettier

ps

mouse over the icon tells you what it is

Can you elaborate on the meaning of some of the values?

• What's hexnumber? I figured it'd be a coordinate, but they seem to be placed rather arbitrarily.
  • Or do we have to figure out the position by looking up the name on the near unreadable map? (that'd be terrible - is there a full list of all tiles somewhere then, preferably with their layout?)
  • For strength and vitality, is there a maximum value, so it can be rendered as a pretty bar?
  • What can be in collectibles, just an integer or how many the entity has?
  • What can be in the enemy tag, if anything?

the hex placing is done in a v format starting with top middle so

2  4
    5    3  9
10    6  8  16
  11    7  15

did you look at the link I provided above, done all the hard work already, worked out relative positions and you just need the size of the hexes in pixels to know where to place the images.

To me the problem with this map right now is that there is no context. I enjoy stories but some of these entities don't have one and can be viewed in any number of ways, The Sacrificer can be presented as good, neutral or evil quite easily, so what manner of image would be suitable?

Re-reading the OP I notice that items such as source bands and beautiful jars might be replaced with other items. It would make sense to provide a complete list of all possible items so that the graphics for them can be predefined and available for when they first appear.

I was looking at making a dynamic map but you can't use the XML DOM across domains so I would have to download the xml each time an update happened and upload that to my server which would then auto-update my HTML.

The only other option would be for someone to code it for Code Club and then they host it on the same domain so it would auto update.

Thanks Gaeron, didn't notice that pattern. It's rather awkward to work with though.

Lenny, you'd have to either proxy it through your own server (there are simple modules to do this in almost any language), or use a generic XML to JSONP proxy (which lets you load things cross-domain). Although it would certainly be nice if this were available in JSONP format directly :)

I'm glad to see some Wurm data made available in this form, although I'm not playing on Epic myself so I don't really know what any of it means :)

The method I used was a shell script to get the entities.xml file via wget and then a php script to generate the web page and the attendant css. I've scheduled it to grab every 3 hours because I don't know how often Rolf will update it. I'll make some generic icons.

I see its updated and all changed around source bands and beautiful jars are gone, source harps and golden feathers are in, it would be nice to get a full list of items than can appear.

edit:

It looks like all items do not have a strength and defence value. So if you read a name that is new, then if it has no strength give it a default item icon, if it does, give it a default entity icon.

You guys just making this up as you go along, arent you? This system is very uninvolving, and poorly implemented.

Manny supplied some basic gfx for the four gods (thanks), its shown a problem in my translation so I'll look at a way of fixing it.  currently some icons when on the same tile overlap and complete cover others.

If anyone wants I can show the script/php I used to generate it if you want to have a go yourself.

Still not making sense to me.  I really don't understand what's going on.  What do WE get by helping gods move around the moon?  I mean who cares if your god is "winning" unless you as a player get tangible benefits from it?

my understanding is there are a number of things that can happen from your god dishing out bonuses (common) to earthquakes/meteors (very rare) to potential godhood (rarer than rare). For the first group bring up the spell effects window to see what you have.

ermm lets see

hit f1 to bring up the console then type bind o main_window

hit f1 again to go back to normal, hit 'o' for the menu, there are a number of options one of which is spell effects.

ermm lets see

hit f1 to bring up the console then type bind o main_window

hit f1 again to go back to normal, hit 'o' for the menu, there are a number of options one of which is spell effects.

You can also bind a key specifically to open spell effects. 

bind key "toggle spelleffects"

You can also just press Esc to open the main menu, and open the spell effects window from that.

Still not making sense to me.  I really don't understand what's going on.  What do WE get by helping gods move around the moon?  I mean who cares if your god is "winning" unless you as a player get tangible benefits from it?

Completing both the missions on the home and wild server helps the god move around faster. Without help it currently takes about 36 hours to move, with help about 12 hours. If you help them you get a small bonus.

The gods objective is to gather all the collectables. Once they have them all, they win the scenario, and an event happens that will aid their followers, which can be follower bonuses, terraforming event on the enemy lands, creature spawns etc.

creature spawns etc.
This could be seen as a good or bad thing depending what was spawned - either 'wohoooo, lots of FS', or 'ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun'. Are we allowed to know which it will be, or is there a potential for either?

well lib is gonna spawn the Wurm when she wins, which is suppose to be much stronger then any other dragon and considering how the red dragon is already unbeatable.... I imagine it will cause chaos on the enemies of the Goddess  ;D

Oh I see.  So the only in-game indication of the end result of doing missions is contained in some rarely used panel that people need to resort to binding keys from the console to even access.

I guess I'll just ignore all this nonsense and simply play as usual.