Sign in to follow this  
Daash

cross posting on every subforum people can find

Do you think cross posting on dub forums are ok or should people stop doing it ?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think cross posting on dub forums are ok or should people stop doing it ?

• Please stop
    • I am ignoring anyone doing it
    • Doesnt bother me at all
    • Bother me some but not enough to get annoyed

Well its getting really annoying to see EVERYONE crossposting on every sub forum they can find.

Atleast i am starting to feel this way so just to see if i am alone in this i am making a poll.

Maybe if those running the forums knew what a micro managing mess all these subforums are, there wouldn't be cross posting.

You should post this poll in all the other forums to see what those on other servers think too :P LOL

Its necesary evil, since people tend to only read the subforums for their own server (I know I do) when most stuff can be sent to every freedom server..

Its necesary evil, since people tend to only read the subforums for their own server (I know I do) when most stuff can be sent to every freedom server..

So why noy make a subforum where you can post to cover ALL servers instead of finding post after post with "i have my thread <link>". Personally i dont open them anymore. And if i see its a crosspost i stop reading... personally i am not interested in giving coin to anything else then the server i am on unless i dont have a choice.

Personally, I don't do it....yet (I have an Indy Vyn shop that can mail most things to any Freedom server) but I don't object to those that do.

Since many shops, auctions, WTB and WTS could be mailable across servers (bulk and non-drop items sellers may or may not want to travel) my suggestion would be a bit of forum coding as an alternative to another set of "all freedom" forums:

+ Add an option to new threads so that they can tick each other server as desired (e.g. start an Indy WTB and can tick Deli box but opt not to tick Exo box too).

+ Have that thread duplicate in all ticked servers (i.e. any post to the Indy thread above also appears in the Deli thread).  Potentially, view counters on both threads would be summed.

While I imagine this is more tricky to program, it should let people just view their home server threads, wherein they will see any local (that server only) and multi-server threads as if they were hosted there without having to follow any links.

So why noy make a subforum where you can post to cover ALL servers instead of finding post after post with "i have my thread <link>". Personally i dont open them anymore. And if i see its a crosspost i stop reading... personally i am not interested in giving coin to anything else then the server i am on unless i dont have a choice.

Well, becuase there is no such subforum yet. If there would be an extra forum "Freedom isles market" Im sure these general threads would go in there and I would look in there, aswell as the specific forums for my own server.

i agree, there should be one Freedom forum, not a separate forum for each Freedom server.  There should also be 1 marketplace forum, that covers all, or at the very least all freedom servers.  It can be placed quite clearly in the thread title which server you are on if you want to direct your WTB or WTS to one server only.

Rather keep the seperation, it was a big mess you simply couldn't get through before.

Suggestion: people who prefer to have it all on one big pile, could simply use the choice to look at unread posts when they log into the forums? That will indeed throw everything onto one pile, no subdivisions to be seen. :P

As to another forum for trades crossing borders: yes, would be a good way to get rid of the crosspostings I think.

Maybe if those running the forums knew what a micro managing mess all these subforums are, there wouldn't be cross posting.

So true

This was bound to happen, it is possible for people to sell to all 3 servers via mailbox, why would any seller post in just one section when that might lead to lack of exposure?

I think if you want to help make crossposting go away, a section should be made that applies to ALL servers, like so (after posting I realized it was suggested a few times already)

- Freedom Isles

* Freedom sales (Want to sell something once off? These items are available for all servers!)

* Freedom merchant ad's (Plan on offering your services for a while? These merchants sell to all servers!)

- Independence

* Independence sales (Want to sell something once off? These items are available on the Independence server!)

* Independence merchant ad's (Plan on offering your services for a while? These merchants only sell to the Independence server!)

- Deliverence

* Deliverence sales (Want to sell something once off? These items are available on the Deliverence server!)

* Deliverence merchant ad's (Plan on offering your services for a while? These merchants only sell to the Deliverence server!)

- Exodus

* Exodus sales (Want to sell something once off? These items are available on the Exodus server!)

* Exodus merchant ad's (Plan on offering your services for a while? These merchants only sell to the Exodus server!)

btw, what's this?

Merchant Ads (I) Hill of Swedes Tools and Mining Started by Daash

Merchant Ads (D) Hill of Swedes Smithing and Mining (now with enchants) Started by Daash

Merchant Ads (E) Hill of Swedes Tools and Mining Started by Daash

'just sayin.

Sometimes a post needs to made that will concern all freedom servers..

I would much prefer the forums to be re-merged.

People can always add [Deliverance] to their thread subject if it's aimed specifically towards the Deliverance populace and the forums for freedom servers are never busy enough that you would lose the threads you might be interested in to the following page.

Personally I'd go with:

> Deliverance

- Recruitment

> Exodus

- Recruitment

> Independence

- Recruitment

> Freedom Market

- Want to Buy

- Want to Sell

- Auctions

- Merchant Ads

> Vessel Salvage / Missing Notice

- Recovered Boats

Personally I'd go with:

> Deliverance

- Recruitment

> Exodus

- Recruitment

> Independence

- Recruitment

> Freedom Market

- Want to Buy

- Want to Sell

- Auctions

- Merchant Ads

- Recovered Boats

This idea for re-vamp of forums I think is good. +1

Personally I'd go with:

> Deliverance

- Recruitment

> Exodus

- Recruitment

> Independence

- Recruitment

> Freedom Market

- Want to Buy

- Want to Sell

- Auctions

- Merchant Ads

- Recovered Boats

oddly enough.....

thats the same layout i proposed to the team about a week ago.  We are looking into some things to make it easier to find posts for specific servers within the market subforum, but this whole issue IS being looked at.

What was a good and needed change for the freedom market when it was just indipendence, has become a bit clunky when spread across multiple servers, and we are aware of it. we do however all have other lives, and that slows down changes, even when we agree that they are needed. (the some other things are slowing us down just a bit at the moment but change is in the wind)

Still making adjustments, but lets see how it goes.

use the message icons in the market boards, they should help

mi_freedom.gif

mi_free_inde.gif

mi_free_deli.gif

mi_free_exod.gif

Awesome. I'll have to start selling stuff so I can use the icons :D

Sorry Enki - but what a mess again... why not one for all over and one for each server then, so at least not everything gets thrown onto the big heap. We had it before and it wasn't pleasant. At all.  :(

There just is no pleasing people!  ;D

Take me, for example. I think those flags are nice, but wrong for this purpose as they're slightly too big, contain too much detail and lack distinctive at-a-glance recognition features. (such as one being completely red, completely blue or completely green).

I know the artist in me hates me for saying it, but keeping it simple & clean applies here as well.

Looks good, Enki.

I agree with Einnel, whole colours for the islands would help them stand out more.

Also, is there anyway to add a filter for them (by which I mean filter for "all freedom" + choice of 1 island)?

Either way, looks good.

we looked for a way to filter them, and still are, but decided to go ahead and roll out the re-org while we continued to look.

The bottom color of each flag is distinct enough for me to spot quickly, but if its not enough maybe if we made the top and bottom colors identical? 

having distinct colors for each flag was tried, but it was very hard to find colors that the text stood out well enough on that would give us room for adding additional flags later on.

having distinct colors for each flag was tried, but it was very hard to find colors that the text stood out well enough on that would give us room for adding additional flags later on.

The text doesn't have to be black, y'know ;)