Sign in to follow this  
uberotaku001

Skyrim

One thing i love about it so far, is there is no real level cap, the only limit is when you've got all your skills to 100. I was surprised when I hit level 50 and could still progress to level 51, then eventually dinged it. :)

This is strange, i loved Oblivion but im already tired of Skyrim (level 23) dunno why

if i dont want to pay 60e for skyrim (because im not much into reading long conversations), but i do want to try out this type of game.. which version of elder scrolls would you recommend i buy?

if i dont want to pay 60e for skyrim (because im not much into reading long conversations), but i do want to try out this type of game.. which version of elder scrolls would you recommend i buy?

My vote goes to Oblivion.

looking at it, it looks quite amazing actually. Even though its from 2006, i am worried about the system requirements.

Ok i checked the requirements and found out what my PC has. The only thing i dont have at recommended level is the CPU speed:

CPU Speed:

Recommended: 3 GHz

You Have: 1.6 GHz Performance Rated at: 2.24 GHz

You think it will be playing ok even with this?

You can get it for around 35 euro's (30 pounds) if you buy it from amazon.co.uk (asuming free delivery option is used). That's where I got it from and I it only took 2-3 days for it to be delivered here to the Netherlands. Steam is totally ripping off with it's 1€ = 1$ conversion rate

As for older versions, I'd personally suggest morrowind, do note that there's no quest markers or fast travel in that game and combat is somewhat outdated, as in even if you swing at the enemy and it looks like a hit, there's still a check being thrown in the background to see if it really was a hit or not. So an attack could look like a hit, but actually have missed (I think that's only the case for melee attacks).

Often for quests you are given real directions and names to go with them instead of an X being slapped on the map with a pointer telling you which way to go. I've got over 100 hours on one of my playthroughs and still have a huge amount of stuff to do, amongst others the mainquest, over half the guilds and the expansions.

Morrowind also has a large amount of factions/guilds and many quests in each. 3-4 times the size of any guild in Skyrim when it comes to quests and more guilds than skyrim has. It does have cliff racer issues (a creature that you run into all the time, way to often), but that's nothing one of the many mods can't fix. Do note that it's an older game, so if you can't stand the graphics then it would most likely be better to pass on it (or grab it for 5 euro when it's on sale again on steam).

Oblivion is a bit newer than morrowind and also good, it's a bit closer to skyrim in features (fast travel, combat and quest markers) and the engine is similar. From what I heard they just slapped on a new renderer for skyrim and made some upgrades here and there but basically used the same engine.

I would not recommend playing Oblivion without mods, I personally use FCOM and it's great with that, the standard level scaling in oblivion is horrible. (I'm sure some like it, I personally don't. The item scaling is also annoying, if you find a special item when you are level 30 then it's a lot more powerful compared to when you find it if you are level 10, even though it's the same item. You're never going to get the level 30 version of the item either since it won't improve as you become stronger. So if you don't want to miss out on that stuff then the game forces you to avoid quests related to them  :o)

How do i find out what my laptop has?

If you know the model's name then you could look it up on google. You can also find most of it on your system by going to the Configurationscreen, then going to System. In windows 7 and vista it should show things like Ram and the cpu name there, not sure if it does so in XP in case you are running that.

GPU go from the System screen to the Device Manager and then look under Display Adapters, the GPU should be shown there.

The CPU can also be found under Processors.

wow thats a really good description. I actually think ive played morrowind once but being young and clueless i didnt enjoy the randomness it was to me.

I gues while you were typing your post, i edited mine :P found out my system specs but i am not sure if oblivion is ok with a bit less GHz

Wurm>skyrim for me at least. Im not joking i got bored of skyrim after a few hours

wow thats a really good description. I actually think ive played morrowind once but being young and clueless i didnt enjoy the randomness it was to me.

I gues while you were typing your post, i edited mine :P found out my system specs but i am not sure if oblivion is ok with a bit less GHz

My sister runs Oblivion on an Intel Celeron 900 2.2ghz cpu (http://ark.intel.com/products/41498/Intel-Celeron-Processor-900-%281M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB%29)

Oblivion works for her with that, though her gpu is so bad it's not even worth mentioning (no idea what it is, except that it's bad), which causes the game to be a bit slow in big fights and it can't stand the fog effects on the oblivion plane all that well, but it works on the lowest settings. If your cpu is 2.24ghz and your gpu is above recommended specs then I think it will work. Unfortunatly there's no demo, so no legal way to make absolutely sure it works before buying it.

At level 2, quit and uninstalled it.  Must not be my cup of tea, but I've never been much of a RP type dude wandering aimlessly to hear NPC's blather about BS.

GG Steam, you stuck me for $60.

Steam stuck you for $60? Lol.... You bought skyrim even though your not a RP type of dude that likes aimlessly wandering to hear npcs....

That would be like me buying a baseball game even though I know I hate baseball games.

Honestly, what threw me the most was I found the interface of the game itself clunky to use on the PC.  While not being much of an RP dude, I do like some of these games and I do own Oblivion on the 360 and enjoyed it.

Prolly would have enjoyed Skyrim better had I bought it for my xbox 360, something on the PC version just made the interface seem more suited to consoles.

Honestly, what threw me the most was I found the interface of the game itself clunky to use on the PC.  While not being much of an RP dude, I do like some of these games and I do own Oblivion on the 360 and enjoyed it.

Prolly would have enjoyed Skyrim better had I bought it for my xbox 360, something on the PC version just made the interface seem more suited to consoles.

yeah, the interface is horrible, but give it a few months and there will be a mod that fixes most of that  :)

For those not already familar, theres a huge repository of Elder Scroll-related PC mods and info at www.tesnexus.com.

Mods especially of note are ones that optimize Oblivion's performance.

The mod community there is focused on all PC Elder Scroll games, so a good place to watch for Skyrim stuff.

I'd kill for a mod that adds functionality to the favorites menu. It was a good idea, but it gets cluttered badly. Breaking it into 3 panes: Equipment/Spells, potions/food/scrolls, and Shouts/Powers.

And for the love of the maker : make 1-8 remember what hand you assigned it!!! Dual wielding and Mages got it rough.

level 51, i have completed my goal of 100 pick pocketing...  so many people without weapons or clothes hahaha. I'v really tooken advantage of the thief's guild abilities, guards take like 600 gold then i steal it back at 90% chance. Lovin it.

Block, restoration and armor are so easy to level up.

Just stand in front of a giant for a while heh.

Block, restoration and armor are so easy to level up.

Just stand in front of a giant for a while heh.

If he doesn't launch you 50,000 feet into the sky, yes. :P

Morrowind of course :)

So just hook up a controller to your PC? And hook your PC up to your TV.... same as playing on xbox except you'll have better graphics and access to mods. Nothing's ever better on console dude...

hay is their an easy way to become a vampire, I never seam to contract it from just killing vampires