Sign in to follow this  
Gurubear

FORUM UPGRADE - Possibly Wednesday

So... we're stuck with this forum ? x_X

Can we get someone else then to help you?

Either Way, I like the way the art developers go forward in their designs, website designs only seem to be downgrading :(

If it aint broken, don't fix it ! You only make it worse if you do ! lol.

I saw them at first, but they stopped after a couple of hours. I'm using the latest version of Firefox, what about you Kegan?

Also, sorry my post seemed only negative, they were just a couple of points that really bugged me, otherwise I'm rapidly adjusting to this forum and liking it :)

I'm using the latest Firefox too it updates itself automatically so i guess its the newest

Either Way, I like the way the art developers go forward in their designs, website designs only seem to be downgrading :(

You've not seen the website changes yet, that's a whole new ball game.

As for the forums not being broke - this set up allows a lot of features that had been asked for from the previous forums but weren't possible (such as an ignore feature to name the first that springs to mind).

You've not seen the website changes yet, that's a whole new ball game.

As for the forums not being broke - this set up allows a lot of features that had been asked for from the previous forums but weren't possible (such as an ignore feature to name the first that springs to mind).

thought all forums come  with a ignore feature?

if not this is one of few i've seen without until now? lol.

And what changes mainly? a Bright page forces  you not to stay long which is why forums are generally dark - allows easier reading on the eyes...

very few are bright unless their based on a games Clan / Guild colours.

Could we atleast get a alternate version though? darker with more readable topic bits.. the topic type / forum thread / sub forum names look like their carved in wood, not sure if that was what the designer was going for, but it does make it harder to read..

the old one had an ignore feature for PM's, but not for posts. This one does (and I've not used a forum that had that feature before, but then I've not signed up for any new ones in the last 2 years or so :P )

People seem to be confusing the new skin for an upgrade. The upgrade is with the functionality, the skin is just some decoration over the top.

It may have been fixed but its working fine for me..

l3aqm.jpg

As far as the locked/moved threads go i agree they don't need to stand out like that.

Lucky you, this is what I get:

Newforum.jpg

I have this (IE9):

144brzt.png

the old one had an ignore feature for PM's, but not for posts. This one does (and I've not used a forum that had that feature before, but then I've not signed up for any new ones in the last 2 years or so :P )

People seem to be confusing the new skin for an upgrade. The upgrade is with the functionality, the skin is just some decoration over the top.

well the skin is a downgrade, the "ignore posts" would be an upgrade for the a few people, but i dunno what else there is really, if we had a compiled list of upgrades, then maybe we wouldn't be so objective to everything, but the skin is most definitely a downgrade :(

yes, but as the tools we use to color skills and logs use those colors as default, they would have to be changed. Ofcause thats doable too, but I think it would be easier to change the background color to something less bright, im not arguing going all in on Goth Black, but perhaps a darker sand color or something.

Can we get the old smilies back, the new ones look horrible.

yes, but as the tools we use to color skills and logs use those colors as default, they would have to be changed. Ofcause thats doable too, but I think it would be easier to change the background color to something less bright, im not arguing going all in on Goth Black, but perhaps a darker sand color or something.

Ya hurting my eyes too.

Plus all the bright colors do not carry the feel of Wurm which would be more wood or stone than pucia.

I thought they were the same ones?

They got rid of the old "???" one and replaced it with ??? . That's the biggest change, other than the kiss emote now looking disgusting ( :-* ). And the new ones are all shiny and icky. 

It may have been fixed but its working fine for me..

l3aqm.jpg

As far as the locked/moved threads go i agree they don't need to stand out like that.

Played with firefox's userContent.css and made the locked threads look the same as the unlocked threads. I've not found a way to format unread threads different. There's no class style that marks read and unread threads which I could use in CSS.

@-moz-document url-prefix(http://wurmonline.com/forum) {

#messageindex .windowbg2, #messageindex .windowbg, #messageindex .lockedbg, #messageindex .newbg, messageindex .newbg2 {
  background-image: none ! important;
}

#messageindex .windowbg, .topic_table td.lockedbg {
  background-color: rgba(102, 51, 0, 0.24) ! important;
  border: 1px solid #CCCCCC ! important;
}

#messageindex .windowbg2, .topic_table td.lockedbg2 {
  background-color: rgba(198, 204, 149, 0.5) ! important;
}

.topic_table td.stickybg, .topic_table td.locked_sticky {
  background-color: rgba(0, 0, 102, 0.13) ! important;
}

.topic_table td.stickybg2, .topic_table td.locked_sticky2 {
  background-color: rgba(151, 164, 187, 0.13) ! important;
}

#messageindex .newbg {
  background-color: rgba(102, 51, 0, 0.24) ! important;
}

#messageindex .newbg2 {
  background-color: rgba(255, 204, 0, 0.12)  ! important;
}

#CommonHeader, #CommonFooter {
    position: relative ! important;
}

}

edit: changed the colors for unsticky threads to the default theme.

edit2: using rgba colors instead of semi transparent images, newbg style, header and footer using relative position

Basically, the Blog, the forum and the Community side of the new website will all share a light, fun template that uses a lot of game models, though possibly not quite how they were intended. Hopefully, this new template will be easy on the eyes and will certainly not be the usual black and grey that most game forums seem to love.

The 'usual love' for black/grey and dark themes are because the eyes and the brain have a much simpler task at identifying words and navigating the page. This has nothing to do with 'style' more than it has to do with ease of use and less eye strain. The current 'light' theme is horrendously straining as many people have been saying. I hope the so-called new website is nothing like the sort. Forums need simplicity to function correctly, just look at any popular forum, gaming or not. The 'dark' complaints from the last forum upgrade is because the colours were tacky. It seems anytime someone plays with it, they pick random colours out of a palette to throw around. Have to simplify first, then work on diversifying a theme.

Hopefully this will work. Once it is up, dont ask for design changes because you would have done it different - I simply do not have time

If you dont have time you shouldn't mess with it. I'm being blunt but honest. You need someone with graphical design experience to help out before doing any more changes. I'd suggest rolling it back. My eyes are burning enough from just writing this post. I know you do this in your spare time but you're held accountable for a real company, since this isn't just a guild or clan website that's for a group of buddies. I work with colour for a living, and have plenty of graphic design experience, so i'm not some dumb kid talking out of my arse :)

Check out your forum profile under 'Look and Layout', there are 4 sets of smilies to choose from.

I'm not sure why but the 'NEW' image is extremely pixelated for me and has alot of black pixels, I know it's nothing too serious and just pedantic but just something to point out..

This is with the latest version of firefox: http://i.imgur.com/PyHQL.png

But, even loading the .gif directly in firefox, or in internet explorer - it's just as pixelated, using wget to pull the .gif down directly so no browser interacts with it at all shows the same result too.

To be honest however I think having 'NEW' as a image is very tacky and think it would be alot better to simply have new topics colored in differently, and no text/image tag at all.

I also agree with Shazaam that darker themes are easier on the eyes, regardless of visual appearance often what works best on the eyes should be considered, noone wants to be staring at something very bright all day.

The adding of the 'New' image was a quick fix. We are looking into the colour coding system.

To be honest however I think having 'NEW' as a image is very tacky and think it would be alot better to simply have new topics colored in differently, and no text/image tag at all.
That's something we're currently discussing (what colour to potentially use etc). The block currently there is at least far more functional than the identical text many of us had previously.

BAH, Tealc beat me to it :P

Haha, too slow Horden.

Also I have updated the 'New' image and removed the black pixels. any better?

Thanks to all the people working to resolve the various complaints, regardless of the tact (or lack of) which with they were submitted.

Check out your forum profile under 'Look and Layout', there are 4 sets of smilies to choose from.

I see that now, but the 4 choices aren't that great honestly.  The old ones were great.

Not a big thing but today when i click on "new" from the index page in the child boards its not showing anything in the "recently unread topics" like it did yesterday. It just shows this...

"No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics. "

If you are in the child boards and click on "New" there working fine.

Edit: Just wanted to say i love the "New" icons there great i hope we get to keep them they do more then just show you that there is a new post in a topic.  :)