Sign in to follow this  
Gurubear

FORUM UPGRADE - Possibly Wednesday

Holy crap my brain keeps telling me to look for the actual post as it assumes every post is a quote, it's totally screwing with me - at least we can switch to the default SMF theme :P

Holy crap my brain keeps telling me to look for the actual post as it assumes every post is a quote,

Having the same issue.

I like it overall, only things I don't like are the red bars and the boxes around posts.

E: Now it's a quote in a quote, ohgod

Holy crap my brain keeps telling me to look for the actual post as it assumes every post is a quote, it's totally screwing with me - at least we can switch to the default SMF theme :P

no gavin this is a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT

Something else to note - unless it's just me, my default language was automatically set to Albanian, lol.

It's not just you, that was interesting..

Thanks for trying... But dear god please provide a dark alternative.

I like the new template, but im more of a dark colour fan as it is easier on the eyes when i play on the night if i don't have my light on.

But pretty much what has been said already, i'm not big on permanent bars on my screen as i like to have the most window visibility as possible, it's why i modified my internet browser to remove any bars i really don't need all the time (ex: Menu bar). The bottom bar serves no use (to me) at all apart from a matching appearence so i'd personally rather not have it.

As others have mentioned, i'm used to the old layout and everything seems like a quote which is pretty annoying.

Edit: and i miss having 'Go To Wurm' as one of my main buttons, i now have to hover over Main Menu and select it from the drop list, but i suppose that can get used to.

Overall i like it, but it's not particularly for me.

I know you said in the OP you wern't going to make any major changes or so, but would you be able to post if you tend on tweaking it or adding additional themes in future? For now i'll hold onto using it if it's being tweaked, but if you can clarify you won't be then i will switch to the other theme. Thanks!

When i first saw it 5 minutes ago the first thought came up : disgusting colors. Good for barbie house.

Way too bright and eye irritating. ( and pink-ish )

Sry i cant help it, I LOVED the dark blue design without borders/boxes.

The rest of the improvement is ok.

Apart from posts looking too much like quotes, I also think that the contrast between post background and text is too low and needs to be improved.

I think overall it is a improvement but there are some parts of it that are bad.

The two parts that I imagine would be easy to change is the black text on the wood background where it has topic titles and whatnot, it just looks out of place and it's hard to read, and also the radioactive blue that 'people of power' seem to have when they are on the 'who is online' list, moderators and whatnot.

But the one thing that is very irritating is how every post sortof implies it is a quote, maybe it's just because I'm used to the generic SMF layout, and pretty much every generic layout (phpbb and Vbulletin for example) but I think it would work alot better if there was not that teal/green/whatever box where people post, just have it the cream or whatever color. Instead I'd use the green/teal color used in the whole post for quotes, as the light blue currently used for quotes is a bit much.

Outside of that, it's just a few minor things, for example the top right has 'Do NOT give others your character password' in bright red on a cream background... yuck!

Again thou, massive improvement imho - just a few things I noticed.

Thanks for that - some of the things you mentioned we are catching because they are not part of the theme but are set in the admin - still tracking those down as they have been played with by different people over time.

Also, the header has just changed slightly because the finished logo has just landed on my desk, so now is in its rightful position in the middle!

General note on the layout for anyone that is interested - apart from moving the menu to the top (which will make more sense once the rest of the site is up), the actual layout is the same as Curve I have just played with colours to match it in with the rest.

Oh, and the wood - this is in reaction to all those complaints I got when we moved from the old-old forum with its light coloured background and wood!

See, I can't win either way.

I like that all the text does not look like a quote now i think you should replace the blue that the quote is now and make it the greenish color?

I would also like it if the NEW was maybe highlighted with a different color?

I like it though its getting there :)

Also, time offsets got reset I think as well.

I don't enjoy the brightness the slightest tbh, it's easier on the eye (both physically and aestetically) with darker forum layouts.

Just did the "new"

It was inherited from SMF - on my version, of course, I didn't have any new posts as I was the only one posting!

If you really cant get on with the new layout, you do have the option of using the default SMF theme instead.

Ok we have activated the SMF theme for those of you who really cant get on with the new theme. To change it follow these menu steps:-

Profile - Forum Profile - Modify profile - Look and Layout.

can the previous theme also be added? both current choices are to bright

I refreshed the page and pooped my pants.

Also, where are my emotes.

Also, this is hurting my eyes.

can the previous layout also be added? both current choices are to bright

None of the previous themes are compatible with this version of SMF.

can the previous layout also be added? both current choices are to bright

None of the previous themes are compatible with this version of SMF.

OK and maybe just make a new theme with a darker background?

I dunno this is a bit cheesy.  I hate also using pictures ingame on the forums/splash screen because more than ever things are being upgraded/changed graphically.

Or some free-to-use theme that could be downloaded for use?

That red bar on the bottom has to go. I would also love it if the red navigation bar on the top was anchored to the top of the page and not the top of my screen.

I think the header picture in general could be done without, honestly.  It's not really necessary and takes up a lot of the screen.

I think the header picture in general could be done without, honestly.  It's not really necessary and takes up a lot of the screen.

I like it but we all have out opinions thats the trouble.

Why is that troll in that house?  Or is this a picture depicting us on the Wild server?  Zing. 

Why is that troll in that house?  Or is this a picture depicting us on the Wild server?  Zing.

Oh, come on!

My joke is not THAT Subtle!!

A troll on the right and a flaming oven on the left? For a forum?

Much better than before, but it could be a bit better in my opinion - maybe darken up the peach a little more. Also, please get rid of the bottom bar as it really doesn't serve a purpose. ;)