Sign in to follow this  
Mattson

Animal Husbandry

i noticed that with 20-29.99 AH skill i only get 1 trait now..i've been working hard to get to 30 so i could see another trait because i was told before the update that would be the next available trait. what is  the TRAIT-SKILL ratio now?

meaning how many traits at what skill

Isn't color a trait?

So you'll get a color and 1 actual trait in between 20-29.99.

20 or less for color only.

you can see the color no matter your skill, cause the horse is in front of you..i mean if you only see 1 trait from 20-29.99 now (It has fleeter movement than normal). Than at what skill will i see another trait to go with that first one?

Horse breeding now has a maximum of 1 trait up to skill level 20

1 trait up to level 20, you will only have the color trait.

20 < x < 30 is 2 traits, the color trait + 1 trait you can examine on horse.

That's how I understood it.

Wouldn't this remark Rolf made be about how many traits you get with breeding on a foal? Having nothing to do with how many traits you get to see on examine?

Wouldn't this remark Rolf made be about how many traits you get with breeding on a foal? Having nothing to do with how many traits you get to see on examine?

Yes, it does

thats right i actually hit around 20 AB, but i can breed horses with many traits, which seems to only be affected by the traits of the parent horses.

I just can't see these traits, but we have a villager whos having an eye on them ^^

So I was shooting for AH50 on Ardis and then going to let my priest to be alt take over grooming.  Looks like I might have to keep working on Ardis to maybe 60.  That would give me a shot at covering all 5 speed traits + 1 for color.

Have to see how it works out.

Wait, what? From what i understood color eating up a "trait slot" was quite a while ago, or wasn't it?

So I was shooting for AH50 on Ardis and then going to let my priest to be alt take over grooming.  Looks like I might have to keep working on Ardis to maybe 60.  That would give me a shot at covering all 5 speed traits + 1 for color.

Well now that I don't play much but thank god you took my horses to care, I can log in max and run over to you to breed some to test this, he's at 80+AH, this should be interesting.

With 40 AH my first foal to be born after the latest changes was female, black and with all 5 speed traits.

Father (grey): It has fleeter movement than normal. It has a strong body. It has lightning movement. It can carry more than average. It has very strong leg muscles. It looks unusually strong and healthy.

Mother (black): It has fleeter movement than normal. It has lightning movement. It has very strong leg muscles.

Foal (black): It has fleeter movement than normal. It has a strong body. It has lightning movement. It can carry more than average. It has very strong leg muscles.

Could be a victim of randomness here and I got lucky but this foal is considerably better than what I had been getting before the changes.

Wait, what? From what i understood color eating up a "trait slot" was quite a while ago, or wasn't it?

yeah i think is back again:( and it sucks...

i mean who care's about color?or can we remove it since eating a trait slot is considered bad?

duno who give rolf this ideas but they just wrong as it was the inbreeding and all animal bashing instead of only uniques + making it harder to hoard...

i hope rolf starts to listen the good majority of ppl instead of the newbies or those who give no care for the others.

tbh this game was already dificult for me when i was a newbie.. and adding more to that would make it imposible for newcomers ...

also the numbers of skills required to do stuff in this game is already high enough ... asking ppl more skill to do same or less they were doing is realy wrong..

once heard of an old player "u know.. i beenn playing for 5 years and rolf keept nerfing the game ever since"

i know it all has to be balanced with player counts /amount of time they have and lots of other stuff ,but for once please think futuristic and solve a problem for good or solve it before it gets too obvious.... ppl are all askin for nerfing the abilty to breed so many animals instead u leave them breed as much as they want but ask for more skill to breed good stock.. what ppl do after?

hoard 100 crappy horses/cows and grind ah.

others hoard 100 non agro's just because they can care for each of them and hand feed them daily.. to all those i say go and feed a wild animal if u like caring for them but leave them in the wildernes so ppl have what to hunt.

i'm on exodus atm and every day i go to hunt i see lots of cows/horses and agro's ,i kill most of them but next day i go over again they back . now what happends if a good share of player start to breed like crazy and make big fancy zoo? we get less and less animals to hunt and they get nothing because it would take them atleast 5 time longer to kill the same count they'd kill if those animals were free

so once again it all comes from giving players too much freedom in hoarding too many animals ,i've played for 8 months already and i'm very dissapointed by the way the true problem was avoided and instead of beeing fixed it was agravated even further.

can't wait the day when wild animal numbers on exo/deli will start to thin out and every1 will come up again with more failed attempts to get them back into the wildernes..

Well now that I don't play much but thank god you took my horses to care, I can log in max and run over to you to breed some to test this, he's at 80+AH, this should be interesting.

I wish you would because it's wasting traits for me to breed LBear and HCloud... Ill send you PM tonight and let you know how many days HCloud has til she can breed again.

so once again it all comes from giving players too much freedom in hoarding too many animals

double triplepicardfacepalm.jpeg

I can't believe people still can moan about lack of hunting and those evil animal hoarders.

You can't walk 2 minutes anywhere without getting jumped by a bunch of animals, find something else to moan about already ffs.

Yeah this hoarding thing keeps popping up on other threads with much vitriol added - back on topic: it definitely is a problem that to gain AH skills you are inclined to keep more animals, also to breed good animals - it makes sense to keep more horses. Same a little with trees & woodcutting - the less skilled you are the more resources you require.

Might it not be better for skilling to require more action rather than more resources? Rather groom the same horse 5 times a day than keep 5 horses is what I mean, to gain the same skill. Or mine a tile more than 50 (ish) times before it breaks - same principle, less resource more action, same skillgain.

Woodcutting someone told me you can skill by making kindling - is this true? If so, thats at least a solution, albeit slightly unconvincing in immersion terms. It deals with the woodscraps as a nice bonus & doesn't require so much of the basic resource. Hope it's true.

Don't think we'll ever stop people worrying about hoarding - and they do have a point (less of the emo would be nice) - but until the mechanics make it efficient to skill by using resources.... it's going to still be a problem imo.

- but until the mechanics make it efficient to skill by using resources.... it's going to still be a problem imo.

ug - I mean "until the mechanics do not make it efficient to skill by using resources"

I can't believe people still can moan about lack of hunting and those evil animal hoarders.

You can't walk 2 minutes anywhere without getting jumped by a bunch of animals, find something else to moan about already ffs.

The hoarding thing has lost it's edge I suppose, but I still haven't encountered one single horse, pig or cow in the woods since I started playing again and that's many months ago.

It used to be different in the past. Those days are gone, I suppose. Horses and cattle must be bought these days. I still think breeders would be nice to let 'wrong' horses go instead of turning them into glue, but that's their choice alone.

Oh please, i got chickens, cows, horses, boars, pheasants, deer and dogs spawn all around me on Deliverance. Of course, it is so much easier to just blame the evil hoarders, instead of trekking into the woods to find your animals.

It is going to vary by server of course. Deli and Exo are new enough and have a high enough ratio of animals/tile that almost anything is freely spawning. On Inde things are a little more sparse, particularly in the non-aggro department.

Probably one of the worst aspects of bashing creatures not avoiding deeds is that everyone now has the guards turned on so a LOT of aggro spawn is being chewed up. Rolf did take the suggestion and make them still attack bashing/tunneling creatures so we should have the option of of dropping to yellow alert. It should now be possible to keep your menagerie on deed and still have the guards attack a troll that bashes a fence.

As far as color still taking a trait slot I'm pretty much positive that got fixed. About a week after it was brought to Rolf's attention I noticed a nice improvement to my foals. And since then we've had a further news item about the system - so the situation might get even better.

As to why people still hoard animals - it can't be attributed to grinding AH. You can groom the same animal again in 30-40 minutes. I keep about 20 horses and can groom them 3-4 times in a long play session. Anyone that still has a lot of animals has them because they want a collection. That can only be controlled starvation (still slow), disease (still too easy to avoid) and escapes (killed by complaint). But really as long as we don't go back to pre-Deli player population density even Inde has decent hunting so for the time being this is a non-issue.

As far as color still taking a trait slot I'm pretty much positive that got fixed. About a week after it was brought to Rolf's attention I noticed a nice improvement to my foals. And since then we've had a further news item about the system - so the situation might get even better.

Color always took a trait slot, the problem according to Rolf's post earlier in the year, was that horses were STACKING MULTIPLE colors as traits (though only one was displayed, of course), and so a horse might actually have 3-4 "colors" (one being visible) and that left only 1-2 slots for other traits.  During 50-59 AH, I had about 90% of my foals with two domestic-bred parents being born with 1-2 traits, the majority of them had two traits only, I assume because although Rolf said he was AWARE of the issue and would look into it, that's different from anb actual "fix." Or it might be some other bug alluded to in the recent launcher announcement of fixing breeding at higher levels of AH -- all I know is I am sudddeny getting decent foals again. For a while there, my only chance at a half decent foal was to breed one good horse with a wild no-trait (and hence, no colors) mother. Since I was getting GREAT foals doing that, I assume there was something that was affecting domestic bred horse traits. I am guessing two parents with many traits also were carrying many colors as hidden traits so any breeding attempt had more chance to bring those out, than the "sought after" traits.

Or maybe 50-59 AH was bugged some other way -- but it was a terrible stage. I made much more money selling horsemeat, than horses. Probably 10X as much from the meat as from live animals. I still have enough leather stockpiled now to outfit the entire server in studded.

I assume color is still counted as a trait, just that its no longer possible to get a foal with traits Gray+White+Black+Brown+Yellow. Or parents with higher odds of colors than positive traits to pass down.

Yes, I recall the details - I started that thread if you remember. Your argument is quite valid, but nearly impossible to prove with the variability of traits. But if all horses have a color trait, and that 'slot" is always a color, than it effectively is not a "trait" slot by the normal definition. We just don't "really" know how much AH gives how many trait slots. At least that is how I look at it. So every animal now has 1 Color + f(AH) Traits.

Well, whatever was fixed, I am very happy about :D  And I do remember you were the one who started the main breeding discussion  --  there was just a lot of posts earlier in this thread expressing suprise at color still being a trait and I think that wasn't the issue, just multiples. So maybe not a "color" trait before but instead a brown-trait, a yellow-trait etc all as separate unrelated traits. Kind of like how horses can get both Healthy and Unhealthy traits at the same time, rather than a single health trait slot.

I don't think we are ever guaranteed any number of traits for any skill level, just that from now on, its capped at one for the first 20 skill levels of AH. After that it probably gets a bit random again. So at 25 I expect you might get 1, or 2, or 3, or maybe more but starting as you said from 1+n. (Ok thats not what you said but anyway ...)

The going from 46 - 48 AH has been slow... lots of IRL issues this week.  Im going to breed 3 pairs tonight at 48.?? AH so I have good notes to compare to once I make 50AH.

I have a spreadsheet on all births prior to whatever rolf patched so should be able to see any glaring changes to results.

PS - I must have missed hoarding flame being brought into the thread.  I keep a fair amount of horses - probably 20-25 (I like the babies that are going to donate hides/meats to be horses instead of foals).  Also have a good 15-18 cows because my priest in training milks.. makes cheese.  Both seem to help soul depth. 

But I groom and feed each and every one of those animals once a day (and I work full time).  I also own 2 deeds that they are spread out over.  Not sure why with 3 servers this has to be flung into every thread about farm use, non-aggro creatures.