Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

How to Deal with Boat Dock Squatters

I started a really nice dock at my new Deliverance deed and no sooner had I completed the first pier but 4 boats ranging from a row boat to a Caravel appear at my dock and crowd my COG and sailboat.  The deed runs to the end of the dock so these boats are on my deed.  Nobody asked to park there, they just did.  Now I have no room to build and I haven't seen the owners in local for weeks.

So my question is, how do you deal in a kind way with people who think any old dock is an excellent spot to perma-park their boats?  I am going to post a sign "no parking" but I am interested in advice on how to deal with these squatters.  Can GM's help in such cases or no?

I really wish these folks would come get their boats and move them elsewhere.

dont make a public dock if you dot want people mooring on it. Find a way to somehow wall it off or whatever, its just like telling people to not use a road thats open.

For me dock-squatters are less like road users and more like people who (if locks were never added to the game) would pull up and leave their carts and horses in your pen.

I can't think of any way to secure a dock, so it may be a matter of asking a dev to move the boats out of the way, but still seen from the dock in the case that the dock-squatters log back in and look for their ship.

See if they have allowed everyone to climb on the boats.  If so, find an aggressive brown bear and bring it to the boat, then get on the boat.  When the bear starts bashing the boat to get to your lower parts, eventually the boat will go away.

I would put up a sign first and give them a couple weeks to move the boat.  Don't threaten, just ask if they will please remove their boat.  If you threaten, they might get the idea that you know how to make their boat go away.

Failing that, flatraise the boat a couple hundred dirst straight up and put a wall around it, and call it art.

If a vessel has been there for a decent length of time ( my own opinion i would say at least 6 weeks ), you could apply to a GM to get it moved under the folllowing ruling :-

[note :- the above timeframe is NOT an official response]

Abandoned vessels

Abandoned vessels are those that have been left in such places that constitute a problem to playability. Such instances will be brought to GM notice and if appropriate the vessel will be moved to the Freedom marina whereupon the following process will apply.

1/ Held for 2 mths for owner to pay the salvage fee and retrieve the vessel. Retrieval is the owners responsibility.

2/ After the 2 mths we put a destruction notice in the salvage boat forum area for 1 mth.

3/ After that we will destroy the boat.

There will be no reparation of any kind for destroyed vessels.

Taken from the game rules here :- http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

While that works for on deed docks quite a few build docks off deed so people visiting dont have the hassles of boats becoming stuck due to permission hassles.

Maybe they could take off collision-detection on boats and then there would be room for your boats...

While that works for on deed docks quite a few build docks off deed so people visiting dont have the hassles of boats becoming stuck due to permission hassles.

Not sure how you can expect to prevent people from mooring at a dock you don't own the land for.

Another suggestion would be to give deed owners an option to allow/disallow mooring on deed

Not sure how you can expect to prevent people from mooring at a dock you don't own the land for.

Not sure how you can fail to grasp that usually about half the dock is on deed and the rest is on perimeter or just outside.

Really, why did this get moved to New Arrivals; Eyes Good for one has been around plenty long enough for this to not be "the beginning of his adventure" and is problem in general for Wurmians overall:

Alyeska: I'd love to have you show me a way to create a dock on deed, that allows your own boats out, but not other peoples boats in. You have some crazy logic sometimes.

Not sure how you can fail to grasp that usually about half the dock is on deed and the rest is on perimeter or just outside.

that's the deed owner's own fault, the undeeded part of the dock is public unless he puts it in an enclosure. He can either deed the entire dock, or deed part of it and accept that random people might put their boat on the undeeded portion of it.

That's why my own docks are all, fully, on deed.

Another suggestion would be to give deed owners an option to allow/disallow mooring on deed

Then you just don't moor it? :P

Many large boats such as cogs and corbitas have quite an amount of rafts in them which makes them undraggable

Then you just don't moor it? :P

Many large boats such as cogs and corbitas have quite an amount of rafts in them which makes them undraggable

Also undriftable?

Boats dont drift, they get stolen.

we are talking about large boats so i dont think they can be stolen

It would be nice to have a gate that would span over three water tiles that would connect to a fence/wall to allow boat access. Maybe even just buoys to use as an invisible water fence/gate but then you would have all the issues that come with it so..idk

Easy way... take your steel and.... oh wait wrong game >.<

Sorry - Just ask them to move if they get on later... if they dont do a salvage notice and possibly get some new boats which you can sell for more than you bought them for :D

Well, you could build a fence.

Then they could still moore the boats, but they can't leave the dock area other than swimming.

If you don't like it, vote with your feet.  Rolf has made it abundantly clear his only real interest in non-pvp gameplay is using the sheep to fund his wolf server development.  Company leadership responds to one thing, and one thing only, revenue.

It is not so hard to build a harbor with walls around it and a spot with a gate that is just level with water so you can pull them in without getting stuck. You could even put a lock on the gate! :o

wall the boat in and if the said player wants it back make them pay.

Make a sign noticing that parking violators will be placed in KoS