Sign in to follow this  
RainRain

Use the Flint and Salt system for Coal

I have to -1 this, Plate armour, made from steel, made from coal, is supposed to be extremely hard to make. In medieval times, a full set of armour(chain and plate) was worth a life's work for a peasant, only available to the nobles.

I have to -1 this, Plate armour, made from steel, made from coal, is supposed to be extremely hard to make. In medieval times, a full set of armour(chain and plate) was worth a life's work for a peasant, only available to the nobles.

but the reason for that was not the lack of coal, coal should appear like veins in my opinion. salt too

Indeed, this is how Coal naturally forms. It makes sense to me, I don't understand why others are so hostile to the idea. It's not like you're going to be mining out massive amounts of Coal from everyday mining. A Pile would still be the effective and preferred way of producing it.

If they made it just as common as finding Salt, which I rarely find, it's not going to have an affect on Coal Maker's orders, etc.

+1

-1 Whats the point?If you want coal make a pile do you seriously want to go around and rummage rock tiles to get a few coal?

+1

Indeed, this is how Coal naturally forms. It makes sense to me, I don't understand why others are so hostile to the idea. It's not like you're going to be mining out massive amounts of Coal from everyday mining. A Pile would still be the effective and preferred way of producing it.

If they made it just as common as finding Salt, which I rarely find, it's not going to have an affect on Coal Maker's orders, etc.

+1

Find a iron vein ( utmost ) that produces coal :P

Othob rithol would raid that placeĀ  :P

Parallel: We should be able to harvest high quality crops by using high quality dirt. High Digging should eliminate the need for high Farming. How is it less absurd than high Mining eliminating the need for high Coalmaking? Both are realistic. But neither is good for the game.

Yes, I'm biased. But to me this is just another "make ____ easier" request.

I'm not a fan by any means of adding in alternate sources for coal with the game like it is right now. Maybe if steel had additional uses (more durable tools, armor and weapons for example) it would be good to match the increased demand. As it currently only has one real use that requires quality so I don't see how making it common place really benefits the game any.

This is the best version of "easy coal plox" I have seen but I have to say I'm against it.

Parallel: We should be able to harvest high quality crops by using high quality dirt. High Digging should eliminate the need for high Farming. How is it less absurd than high Mining eliminating the need for high Coalmaking? Both are realistic. But neither is good for the game.

Yes, I'm biased. But to me this is just another "make ____ easier" request.

I'm not a fan by any means of adding in alternate sources for coal with the game like it is right now. Maybe if steel had additional uses (more durable tools, armor and weapons for example) it would be good to match the increased demand. As it currently only has one real use that requires quality so I don't see how making it common place really benefits the game any.

This is the best version of "easy coal plox" I have seen but I have to say I'm against it.

From a flint or salt rock, at 50 mining i've only gained 2-4 of them.

Not only that, but the rarity, it wouldnt make it easier, but rather add another source, Coal piles would still be the superiour source, but this way if you find a coal rock, you have a chance to get consistent ql of one kind, being highql, whereas in coalmaking it WILL be lower ql each new coal.

Not only this, but why would one need high digging and high woodcutting for something used in smithing?

And at that, the absurd amount of logs required (approx 2-3 tree's worth.)

What we need is more love to coalmaking as a skill, not adding more benefits to mining over the other gathering skills. The fact that it is so hard to make coal of good ql, even with high coalmaking and woodcutting only tells how flawed it is.

If there were some adjustment to coal it should be part of a greater metallurgy fix. Ā I'd like to see iron made more rare and copper, zinc more common. Ā  Then have copper, bronze, iron, steel variants of all tools.

Rather than have their affects vary just put QL caps on them. Ā  Copper could only be made to 25QL, Ā bronze to 50 QL. Ā Iron to 70, steel to 99. Ā Having the effects vary would be fine too but QL caps are simple.

I'd limit iron smelting to forge only.

I'd make metallurgy less mind numbing. Ā The labor to make bronze via mining and metallurgy should be slightly less than the labor to mine iron. Ā Maybe make iron only give .5KG per ore rather than 1KG.

That'd give more meat to steel, metallurgy and the other materials. Ā  Just making coal rummagable seems like it falls well short of what's really needed. Ā  BTW the above is only a half hearted suggestion, if Rolf ever intimated he was open to fixing it I'm sure there'd be numerous well thought out (and poorly thought out) suggestions.

Except this isn't real life :P

I wouldn't mind this. As Acurapassion said, if it will be like salt, I doubt it will affect anything. I have 51 mining on my alt, and I only got salt once.

All talk about coal making is moot until metallurgy develops more. The only thing worth making is plate armor and hardly anyone uses it anyways.

All talk about coal making is moot until metallurgy develops more. The only thing worth making is plate armor and hardly anyone uses it anyways.

and whats the reason for this?

Its too hard to makeimprove chain is just easier to get and improve. So at least on freedom all the effort for this higher protection isn't really worth it.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=57105.15

I tried stating it here, if we get epic, and Rolf decides we'll start of with NOTHING (have to clear that up for people in above thread) we'll need coal to make steel and flint. The burning stick goes so far, but you still have to wait a few days just to get some coal, and you may fail on every single one and have to start again (thus repeating the loooong cycle). I've never come across a salt or flint tile. Ever. Seeming you can get both by praying and you're basically showered in it I don't get why it's so rare mining. Coal, flint and salt need to be rummagable, I don't want to spend ages training up a priest just to have 2 items.

Adding coal would make lots more come into wurm, we'd be able to start from brand new with no help at all. Of course coal should be bad ql, or there's no point in charcoal.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=57105.15

I tried stating it here, if we get epic, and Rolf decides we'll start of with NOTHING (have to clear that up for people in above thread) we'll need coal to make steel and flint. The burning stick goes so far, but you still have to wait a few days just to get some coal, and you may fail on every single one and have to start again (thus repeating the loooong cycle). I've never come across a salt or flint tile. Ever. Seeming you can get both by praying and you're basically showered in it I don't get why it's so rare mining. Coal, flint and salt need to be rummagable, I don't want to spend ages training up a priest just to have 2 items.

Adding coal would make lots more come into wurm, we'd be able to start from brand new with no help at all. Of course coal should be bad ql, or there's no point in charcoal.

well, i think epic start will be with startertools, wont it? at leats i think i read this in the epic road map thread.

charcoal, would still be a good soruce for high ql woodcutters to get something out of their low ql logs, it would be an addition t normal coal.

and here wer can get to the other thread where you said that wurm is weired that we have locks and no clocks. We can dig deep in the mountains but we dont have anthracite coal isn't that strange?

So why not adding coal as a method to heat forges where 1kg coal acts like 5kg wood. And the possibility to make coke from this coal so coal-making as skill would still have its use and is needed for steel. It would also be much easier to make the cokes in larger amounts for making steel than now with killing all those trees out there just to get only a few charcoal.

At least iron and steel making history, we always needed charcoal to make raw iron from ores (actually in wurm we can do it simply with wood, strange isn't it, or even cotton ^^). Cokes was invented in 17xy to be made from antracite coal. So where we wanna find the balance? making iron lumps with wood isnĀ  correct, and havin cokes well, ist too early in wurm i think. But at least charcoal woudl be needed to make iron lumps to be realistic. Hard to meet the middle here.

Or at least increase ratio of the charcoal we can get it was around 40% in medival and now think of how many kg wood you put in and how many kg of coal you get out of it.