Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

The Epic roadmap

While I'm not opposed to this idea, I think it's the kind of thing that will delay Epic for months.  :(

Oh I definitely want epic to come asap.  But as I see it this could be done relatively simply...

1. all people start out as freedomers (which is basically non-kingdom)

2. Have volunteers construct the deeds for the passes, not any different from the deeds on GV really, just more guards.

3. create a mechanism to kill players when they cross a certain point. (I don't see how it's any different from the sharks throwing you out of the boat when you hit the edge on test server, except instead of messaging you and throwing you out of your boat, it messages you and kills you)

4. make and test a way to cross servers over land.

5. possibly develop new tiles (this step is optional)

I don't see any reason why this would take so long, we basically already have similar mechanisms in place.

Of course as I pointed out in xallo's thread he could forget about the home servers altogether and just make it so that only accounts created after day X (the beginning of epic) will be allowed on epic.  And give players the option to reset their character to make themselves eligible for epic.  And tell the people who insist on using the same name while keeping their character to deal with it.

* There will initially be one wild server with two or three home servers on the sides. I am pretty confident we can host a HOTS home server as well. It will be covered mostly in mycelium of course.

The size of the HOTS home server is probably GV size. The reason for this is mainly that I think it will be pretty desolate and will only use up expensive server resources. Or do you think you'll want to settle there in large amounts?

* Home servers, except the HOTS server will be free to play. The wild server/s will be premium only.

Making the HoTS home server premium only while allowing the other kingdoms to have players who have not yet converted to premium is creating an external disadvantage right from the start. This also means any HoTS member whos premium expires will no longer be able to contribute in any way whereas every JK/MR player whos premium expires will still be able to contribute, albeit with the lower skill cap.

You mention how making the HoTS home prem only will create a disadvantage right from the start. Correct me if I am wrong as I am not extremely knowledgeable about the game, but isn't HoTS naturally supposed to be at a disadvantage? And haven't they always been at a disadvantage? I think this will work out fine because if I recall correctly there used to be a decent number of HoTS players on the wild server, I was one of them. Something I propose for the HoTS home server is based on it's population it should get certain bonuses that the other servers do not get like a small combat bonus, or perhaps a slightly larger resource cap, or maybe even a tweak to upkeep or the amount of damage key defensive structures take in order to help defend against larger kingdom raids. The point of HoTS is to be the few and the strong, right? I have absolutely no knowledge of the PvP aspect of the game, so my ideas may not even be fair. Thought I may as well give my two cents anyways.

Will there be 100% refund period for the deeds disbanding on wild and freedom before Epic's start?

No plans for changing disband returns - they are very generous as they are now aren't they? I mean you get pretty much everything back now.

Generous? no actually they are not.

If a person sets up a 50-70s deed they pretty much get 0 back from that land.

A small 5s token refund along with a bit of upkeep is a skimpy refund. ;)

As far as newbs go make em rough it if they what EPIC.

1. all people start out as freedomers (which is basically non-kingdom)

2. Have volunteers construct the deeds for the passes, not any different from the deeds on GV really, just more guards.

3. create a mechanism to kill players when they cross a certain point. (I don't see how it's any different from the sharks throwing you out of the boat when you hit the edge on test server, except instead of messaging you and throwing you out of your boat, it messages you and kills you)

4. make and test a way to cross servers over land.

5. possibly develop new tiles (this step is optional)

I don't see any reason why this would take so long, we basically already have similar mechanisms in place.

1. Yup

2. Yup

3. Didnt test have something like this already? You had to join the test town kingdom or something otherwise the guards would nuke you.

4. Can already do this! I'm not kidding. Head down to the south west of Deliverance and theres a tiny island cut in half. (It sits on the border), you can walk across the land and it will dump you into Exodus's Northern Ocean.

5. I don't think new tiles would be needed :P

The big important thing though is as was said: "Use mountain ranges to divide some severs from each other, so we can have contiguous landmasses". Otherwise were just going to have lots and lots of islands.

The big important thing though is as was said: "Use mountain ranges to divide some severs from each other, so we can have contiguous landmasses". Otherwise were just going to have lots and lots of islands.

I think some crude illustrations might help to better understand these ideas.

The mountains are to be made impassable by a game mechanic that will kill you if you cross a certain point.

The deeds that cross into the home server valleys are controlled by home kingdoms which anyone can join but no one can hold any of the positions or expand the kingdom.

Players can raid the home servers, but they must first raid the capital.  There should be tons of guards and a series of gates that you need to fight your way through to get into the server.

These are supposed to be the sanctuaries in which new players can grow unmolested by pvp.

The only thing we would need to think about is how would we rebuild these entrance deeds after a raid.  Would it be possible to revert the deed to it's original state something like 100 irl hours after a raid?  Or come up with a system that allows players to rebuild and repair the deed without allowing them to build things that will get in the way or mess things up in general.

Note that the home kingdom areas are larger than the mountains that are supposed to contain them on the epic pvp server.

epicsuggestion1.jpg

epicsuggestion2.jpg

Spy alts should be no problem if HoTS can have PMKs too. Alt killing and training skills on alts should be bannable offense. There may not be a perfect solution how to detect everybody doing it but that's how it's always with cheating. Some get caught earlier some later some maybe never. But the important thing is that it is clearly stated illegal in rules to disencourage people from doing it.

Just to clarify, veins that are in Independence that are above 50ql will stay that way right?

You mention how making the HoTS home prem only will create a disadvantage right from the start. Correct me if I am wrong as I am not extremely knowledgeable about the game, but isn't HoTS naturally supposed to be at a disadvantage? And haven't they always been at a disadvantage? I think this will work out fine because if I recall correctly there used to be a decent number of HoTS players on the wild server, I was one of them. Something I propose for the HoTS home server is based on it's population it should get certain bonuses that the other servers do not get like a small combat bonus, or perhaps a slightly larger resource cap, or maybe even a tweak to upkeep or the amount of damage key defensive structures take in order to help defend against larger kingdom raids. The point of HoTS is to be the few and the strong, right? I have absolutely no knowledge of the PvP aspect of the game, so my ideas may not even be fair. Thought I may as well give my two cents anyways.

The naturally at a disadvantage may make for a good story but it sucks for game balance and playability.

HotS should have exactly the same start as the other kingdoms, no more and no less. No special advantages or disadvantages for any kingdom.

Its the players who make the kingdom not the lore so if HotS are to be the strong then the players in the kingdom need to step up.

The problem with the idea of the few is that you cannot tell someone, "no you cannot join this kingdom because you'll just make it too big" The players will choose to do whatever they want so that cannot be considered part of the lore.

Hey rolf.

Ya might wanna consider limiting the refresh option for freebies so it only affects themself.

Otherwise we will end up with freebie alts on the home servers working like deluxe-edition bartenders.

I have yet to really post in here, just was reading what you guys were saying.

I fully support a hots home server and think it should be in.

A quick question I haven't seen mentioned yet, how are people meant to get to Wild in the opening days?  For example if they wish to setup a PMK or just wish to live closer to the action.

Since even the smallest boat requires wemp which you need to first find, then farm for several days, with little guarantee of early success and will mean you have to setup at least temporarily on the home servers.

Will the maps be designed with land connections, or will there be starter towns on the Wild server which you'll be able to teleport too?  Or is there something else I'm missing?

This looks awesome, I really hope the hots home server has a higher aggro count though to help with training, that would be sweet.

I don't see why, in a pvp server cluster, you would have non-pvp areas.

I don't see why, in a pvp server cluster, you would have non-pvp areas.

People need areas to grow, develop their skills.

People need areas to grow, develop their skills.

This especially when you begin from 0 skills

everyone starts from 0 on Epic m8, have you read the OP?

* Everyone will start with fresh inventories and skills. The current plan is to use the same login server. Otherwise we'll have to set up a new payment system which is a hassle and causes more admin. But it would help some with other things of course but right now there is no change in that plan.

We already have Freedom and Wild.

No, if you take your character on freedom and go to epic, your skills reset to 1.

Of course he could just make it so only characters created after the launch of epic can access epic and then give players the option to reset their characters.  The only issue with this is people who want the option to keep their character name for epic AND not have their character on freedom/wild reset.

I personally am in favor of this option, because if everyone is split between 3 or 4 servers, epic will be too spread out.

moving a character from freedom/wild to epic will NOT reset your old freedom/wild skills.

However, a completely diffrent set of skill is used specificly on epic.

TLDR: your old stuff remains if you return, yet you cant bring them to epic.

This is already the plan, pay attention to blogs etc :P

How do Affinities work on epic? do you have a different set from say Wild?

How do Affinities work on epic? do you have a different set from say Wild?

Think of it like a brand new character which happends to have the same name as on wild/freedom.

Ok, so you get a different 1 random affinity then on epic?

yup.

Will non-paying members that join non HOTS home server count as members of the group, lowering CR bonuses?  I can understand allowing non-paying members to get to join to allow them to get a good impression of the game's pvp aspect, but it seems like if they are non-paying they wont really be contributing to the goals of the group, hence only truely a handycap for non HOTS.    Just a thought... There is also a benefit to allowing non-prems, it has the tendency to lead to contributing members, who will most likely not convert to HOTS due to the people that helped them learn the game. 

We already have Freedom and Wild.

No, if you take your character on freedom and go to epic, your skills reset to 1.

Of course he could just make it so only characters created after the launch of epic can access epic and then give players the option to reset their characters.  The only issue with this is people who want the option to keep their character name for epic AND not have their character on freedom/wild reset.

I personally am in favor of this option, because if everyone is split between 3 or 4 servers, epic will be too spread out.

You missed my point entirely. Having a place to safely skill up to go to a pvp area already exsists. Why repeat it? Why make Epic if you just want the same set up we have now with the Freedom servers and Wild?