Sign in to follow this  
Gandwin

Cave bugs tunneling?

Sure. Have cave goblins wield pickaxes (10-30ql), maybe birchwood so no imping. Basically higher ql newb tools.

Give them enough pickaxe skill so they can match a normal goblin in combat.

Maybe a new "tunnel goblin" mob?

Tunnelling mobs should be able to be commanded to tunnel on command, if there's a way to prevent it being too overpowered. (Extremely slow? Loyalty penalty on every action?)

Naw, no goblin slaves. Players shouldn't be able to avoid mining by manipulating a creature.

There really is no other way to interpret that statement as anything other than opinion. There is no way to test it.

Here's my opinion:

[o]Only uniques should bash reinforced mine walls.

[o]Creatures will not tunnel if the vertical difference is too extreme (would make an excessive dropshaft)

[o]Already mined out tiles should no longer be altered when a new tile is opened next to them. When this would create  an impossible geometry the tile should remain filled or re-collapse and a denial message returned.

[o]Mine collapses would increase. Tiles mined by mobs would be 10x as likely to collapse.

[o]Tunnelers would be limited to: all uniques, lava creatures, cave bugs and goblins (which would be added to the cave spawn list in clusters of 4-6)

No, I did not intend for supports to be less functional. Just areas that are already prone to collapse would more, especially if a mob made them.

And goblins are definitely a mild to medium nuisance nowhere near as strong as a lava fiend. I'd put them in the same ballpark as young bear, old wolf, cave bugs etc. I would not take on a half dozen at once with those stats, but you could take them one or two at a time with no problem.

The comment in parenthesis is strictly about the goblins...not about the others listed. A lot of creatures spawn in clusters of the same size : wolves, spiders, cave bugs, rats. They just spawn that way: they don't act as a team.

Maybe toned down to 3-4 would be better, at least for survival's sake. I don't think a lower levelled fighter could take on 6, unless covered head to toe in plate, maybe, and with a decent weapon. They hit light, but fast, in my experience. There's always the option of leading the pack away, but it gets harder the more mobs you throw into the equation.

Remember, Othob, creatures in a mine will be very close together, relatively, unless its a big mine. Maybe they could only spawn in mines of a certain size.

By the way, do creatures leave/enter mines voluntarily? I've only ever seen any enter/leave when chasing a player.

Anything which makes the world more dynamic and edgy gets my vote there's enough time for stagnation when we die  ;D

If I wanted to build things in a static environment then I'll use Maya or Max.

honestly...i understand the survival thing....and im not against it....but who the hell says, it must be like "Resident Evil" to feel like an actual danger? lolz

seriously...some of you guys sounds like this and are ignoring the fact that this game is about more than just survival...

Want more excitement, go play some of those shitty zombie games spawning every month.

Honestly, there was nothing wrong with the 'baddies' before all the patches...

Honestly, there was nothing wrong with the 'baddies' before all the patches...

Make it so cavebugs can't dig through tiles that are within an X tile range of a supported rock tile. That way, people worried about the aesthetic of their mines can place support beams to stop bugs from tunneling around.

If they care about their mine's looks, they'd be placing support beams anyway.

Make it so cavebugs can't dig through tiles that are within an X tile range of a supported rock tile. That way, people worried about the aesthetic of their mines can place support beams to stop bugs from tunneling around.

If they care about their mine's looks, they'd be placing support beams anyway.

I like the sound of that. Can anyone think of any problems with this?

That's too generous...you shouln't be able to just erect a post here or there and stop them in a wide area...that's silly. But they shouldn't be able to tunnel through the supported tiles or veins. That gives anyone the ability to secure the main shafts of their mines or to make a room secure.

Not a wide area. Maybe 1 tile from the reinforcement.

But I suppose if you reinforce your mine they shouldn't get in anyway.

The disadvantage I see about that, is that you basically need to seal your mine, hindering further expansion. So the idea that bugs wouldn't tunnel into rock tiles adjacent to a reinforced tile or ore tile sounds good to me.

Well you'd have to seal it only if you want to keep them out....which is a pointless exercise anyway because they can just spawn inside the sealed area.

I still think that it would be way cool to allow bugs to bash cave walls.

Over time, you could get large caverns forming from abandoned mines.

Think about it, a whole second level in each server to explore.

Go lava fiend hunting and don't get lost!

Well you'd have to seal it only if you want to keep them out....which is a pointless exercise anyway because they can just spawn inside the sealed area.

I'm still not against that overall bashing :o

uhm.....maybe it's possible to reduce that speed of cavebugs destroying cave walls? I mean we also need a long time to bash through on of those walls and maybe cavebugs need alot longer, because they are so small and only have their mandibles to do that....

another thing is: cavebugs arent forced to use cave walls to go through, like they are only using it, when there is no other way(because a cave collapsed)

also: they have to be handicapped as we are and more!

so....

-they can't create dropshafts

-they can't dig more than one wall in 24 hours

-they can't move through reinforced walls

-they can't create cave openings(to outside world)

-maybe they also can't dig under water level

and so on....

wurm201110022035.jpg

lol they cut off my cave! its cool but not fun when i cant get my cart to my best iron.

wurm201110022035.jpg

lol they cut off my cave! its cool but not fun when i cant get my cart to my best iron.

How do you know cave bugs did this and not simply a cave collapse? can you not re-mine it if it's important to you?

I dropped my alt down a shaft that appeared where there was a normal flat-cave-floor before.

No mine whatsoever below it just a insanely deep "v".

No signs of griefers (no body/items/rockshards/...)

Nothing down there (except my alts corpse since a gob followed me down and killed my alt XD)

Here's a screen.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/wurm2011100317201.png

Is this in anyway cavebug related? :s

I thought cavebug tunneling wasnt even turned on on freedom isles? Or am I missing something (like everyone in this thread being on wild; or a flip of the switch to on that I didnt read anywhere)?

A GM fixed it, he talked about the "cave-dwellers" so I think it might have been something buggy around them.

(extra bug that happend was a brown bear who entered a 1x1 building at the cave entrance. It was outside and couldnt get in when I passed a first time, but when I came back to show the gm the cave, the bear somehow followed me and got stuck in the wall inside the house, targetting me everytime I got in the house)