Sign in to follow this  
Kinoss

In Development! (Pack Updates)

Like the new tall stone wall design?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Like the new tall stone wall design?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

This is an effort on my part to get the Wurm community involved in what's going on behind the scenes. So if you have any suggestions on what you see here (Or what you would like to see here) then I'll be happy to consider them! Any suggestions that have to do with client coding should be posted in the suggestions sub-forum. I don't have any control in that area. I do keep all original files in case I should need to use them again for client updates. I'm telling you this because I'm going to clean out all the replies when I move on to a new model. So all these wonderful suggestions about client features that should be added to update the graphics of the game will be lost when I do that.

• Working On...
    Tall Stone Wall

Model: 0%Textures: 0%

• Done!
    Stone House
    th_stonehouse-closeup.pngth_stonehouse-detail.png

Wooden House
    preview3kd2.th.pngthpix.gifpreviewcloseup3ri6.th.pngthpix.gifdetail3nq8.th.pngthpix.gif

• Next on the list:
    Short Stone Wall

• To do:
    Missing models

Currently Wurm has 4 wall types: Stone Wall, Tall Stone Wall, Wooden Fence, and Pallisade. Tall stone walls are usually substituted with long houses since they are more protective. Some towns also include houses into the wall which gives a strange uneven and chaotic look.

My proposal is that a third type of wall be added. Notch first came up with the idea quite a while ago that there should be another wall type called "Kingdom Walls." I don't know what other purposes these walls would have, but the obvious is that they require more resources to build and they are strongest of all the walls. If these walls are introduced into the game my vision for their design would be this. Kingdom Walls are quite a bit taller than the current tall walls, but not double. They have a walkway along the top that players can get on top of if/when collision detection gets added, but works like a crows nest until that time. Houses can't be built next to a kingdom wall, but a kingdom wall gate would be used instead that uses a writ.

As for tall stone walls they should be shortened a bit so that they look good along side houses since that is how they are commonly used.

So my poll question is this: Should the new tall stone wall model be shortened to look better alongside houses? I imagine the walls being about the same height as the top of the thatch roof. Something like this:

th_TallvsTall.png

I don't want current tall stone walls to be shorter, because you know...  They're supposed to be tall.

I am no big fan of the tall walls we have currently, but the idea of massive more fort like walls with a heavy gate I find interesting.

But would you build this on the border and then have it stick out on both sides of it ?

*dreams of a future drawbridge version of the proposed wall gate*

Would be easier to decide if we had some image(s) to compare with, doesn't have to be the end result, just a quick one to see how it might be.

Actually, kingdom walls could take up the whole tile but every so often you could build a ramp to get on to them.  You could then make them just a bit shorter than tall stone walls, and then build tall stone walls just a tile beyond the kingdom walls.

I don't want current tall stone walls to be shorter, because you know...  They're supposed to be tall.

"Tall" is relative

I am no big fan of the tall walls we have currently, but the idea of massive more fort like walls with a heavy gate I find interesting.

But would you build this on the border and then have it stick out on both sides of it ?

*dreams of a future drawbridge version of the proposed wall gate*

I can't say how it'd work since its just an idea right now, but I could see this special type of wall being built on tiles instead of borders especially since it'd be wider. Although I don't see a reason why tile borders wouldn't work just as well.

Rename tall stone walls to something else and shorten  8)

Stone wall could be renamed to Rock wall since its made of rocks.

Tall stone wall could be Stone wall or Brick wall.

My proposal is that a third type of wall be added. Notch first came up with the idea quite a while ago that there should be another wall type called "Kingdom Walls." I don't know what other purposes these walls would have, but the obvious is that they require more resources to build and they are strongest of all the walls. If these walls are introduced into the game my vision for their design would be this. Kingdom Walls are quite a bit taller than the current tall walls, but not double. They have a walkway along the top that players can get on top of if/when collision detection gets added, but works like a crows nest until that time. Houses can't be built next to a kingdom wall, but a kingdom wall gate would be used instead that uses a writ.

I've always thought that walls you could walk on would work in the sense that they were houses.

Basically, the way that I thought multi-story houses would work, if they ever were to work, would be that you'd build a house (like we have now), then build a flat roof on that house, as well as a means of getting up and down between the levels (stairs, ladders, ramps). Then you'd plan a "new" house on top of that, which would work under the same writ as the old house, and act in all ways and means as the old house, except it'd be on top of the existing house and be an addition to it.

What I'm getting to, is that if you were to want high walls where you could walk on top of, you'd simply build a house with your desired height, then put a flat roof on top of it. This would also work well with the current defences many towns employ (that is, towns that build defences to defend themelves), with longhouses on top of dirt walls, since it won't call for anything to be torn down and re-built. I guess multi-story houses are far away in development, but that's the way I've always imagined it would work, and in my opinion, it's a very friendly way of making it work. ;D

Would be easier to decide if we had some image(s) to compare with, doesn't have to be the end result, just a quick one to see how it might be.

th_TallvsTall.png

I've always thought that walls you could walk on would work in the sense that they were houses.

Basically, the way that I thought multi-story houses would work, if they ever were to work, would be that you'd build a house (like we have now), then build a flat roof on that house, as well as a means of getting up and down between the levels (stairs, ladders, ramps). Then you'd plan a "new" house on top of that, which would work under the same writ as the old house, and act in all ways and means as the old house, except it'd be on top of the existing house and be an addition to it.

What I'm getting to, is that if you were to want high walls where you could walk on top of, you'd simply build a house with your desired height, then put a flat roof on top of it. This would also work well with the current defences many towns employ (that is, towns that build defences to defend themelves), with longhouses on top of dirt walls, since it won't call for anything to be torn down and re-built. I guess multi-story houses are far away in development, but that's the way I've always imagined it would work, and in my opinion, it's a very friendly way of making it work. ;D

Its good to be creative and this would be nice, but walls need a useful function. Houses should be used as houses, and walls should be used as walls.

Why not just keep tall walls the way they are but add a "medium brick wall" with the same height as a house. It's not like anyone loses with more options.

i'd like to see shorter tall stone walls. the ones we have look disproportionate.

I could see the kingdom walls being a tile wide because they need to be wide enough to walk on, but they should free up the border tile to allow building up against them. They would extend to the border tile only where there is another wall section so that they join.  And You should be able to build buildings against them. also have a stair section that is maybe 1/2-3/4 tile wide and can only be built against a kingdom wall section providing access to the upper wall path.

I honestly think you should use this texture from the corner of the stone houses you were working on. It would look pimping as a Solid rock wall texture.

newvsoldwwcs1.png

Just plaster that texture all over the tall walls model, and lets have a look at it.

Just plaster that texture all over the tall walls model, and lets have a look at it.

Except that tall walls only have bricks, and no mortar... so should the requirements change?

Except that tall walls only have bricks, and no mortar...

I never got why they were so hard to knock down.

Wurm I guess  ::)

Except that tall walls only have bricks, and no mortar... so should the requirements change?

No that filling between the rocks is mud, no need to change the requirements. Just slap on that awesome texture i pointed out and be done with it. Wurm logicâ„¢

Actually, kingdom walls could take up the whole tile but every so often you could build a ramp to get on to them.  You could then make them just a bit shorter than tall stone walls, and then build tall stone walls just a tile beyond the kingdom walls.

Am I missing something or did you forget wooden fence :o?

Ah yeah forgot about that :)

Here's an image of what I'm thinking for tall stone wall:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Genadena/PublicPhotosCopyrightRCDeAragon#5175282909899057442

Here's the model I made based on the image:

Model:

http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/Kinoss/?action=view&current=TallStoneWallModel.png

Textured:

http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/Kinoss/?action=view&current=TallStoneWallTextured.png

I won't be using the colors from the real life picture just so you know. I probably won't be using the same brick texture as in the textured pic either.

Since a lot of you would like a shorter tall stone wall and most of you would only agree to it if you got a taller stone wall to replace the old model I'll have to wait to hear from Mortimar who will be talking with Rolf about Kingdom walls.

cant you just update the tall stone wall with the wall texture from houses and leave it at that?

it doesnt matter if it doesnt use mortar to make or not...i like proper tall stone walls rather than just dry stone :P

the small walls would be the dry stone walls if any.

IMO if you keep using the same texture for everything Stone wise, its going to be Doom and gloom online. Get a bit of variation in it instead of the same Nasty grey brick texture. No offence or anything really. i can just imagine having houses and walls in the game with that texture, and its going to make you that depressed looking at it, you just wont wanna play. The current Stone house texture has some Character to it, not just straight lines.....

But that is just my thoughts, Like it or lump it.