Sign in to follow this  
wizler11

what do yous think of the new update :D

Maybe you should try banding together with those friends and take out some lairs in your area? That's a good way to release some of the pressure from those animals, especially if you take out a lair of one of the stronger creatures. If you work together with a big enough group then it shouldn't take to long either. If taking the lairs on is to dangerous due to a lack of fs then ask others who do have fs for some help with keeping creatures off you, there's a lot of players these days so there's sure to be some people who'd lend a hand.

Else getting a templar extra can easily do the trick most of the time. A few guard towers here and there for the off deed areas, and keeping your eyes open.

Sure that can sot some extra silver, but that's the downside from not fighting yourself.

This is a PvE (player versus environment) server, if the environment is no threat then is it really still PvE?

Mostly I like it but I think some things need a little more tweaking:

- Strong aggros breaking into enclosures is just plain wrong, breaking out is fine. However as a programmer I can see that's a challenging distinction to make in a timely fashion considering there is no limit to how big an enclosure can be!

- The aggros are moving around a little too much. As it is now, I can check an area is clear as far as I can see, then come back an hour later and find something nasty blocking my road. Where I live this is getting stressful! This is severely curtailing my desire to travel away from my deed or guard towers.

- The nastiest aggros appear to be as fast as or faster then me. For instance I cannot fight trolls alone, nor does it appear can I outrun them. In the past it wasn't a problem as they were almost always avoidable because they tended to stay put. You could keep track of where they were lurking. Now they are ambushing me a lot more often and without the help of a nearby guard or door it would be fatal. I've had several very bad wounds from them recently. The last one yesterday stopped me doing what I wanted to do off deed because it took an hour to heal. My rambling point is, do the most hard to fight mobs really have to be so hard to get away from now that they can just walk up on you out of the blue?

I used to like travelling around the world, exploring and admiring the fine works that people have built. I'd travel without gear so I could run away from the very few things I'd run into on the roads. If you've seen any of my alts (Lumbro, Comitas or Indagator) away from the NW, that's probably what they are doing. Either that or on a long distance shopping trip to Freedom Market. With the current level of increased danger I am not much inclined to explore anymore.

I used to like travelling around the world, exploring and admiring the fine works that people have built. I'd travel without gear so I could run away from the very few things I'd run into on the roads. If you've seen any of my alts (Lumbro, Comitas or Indagator) away from the NW, that's probably what they are doing. Either that or on a long distance shopping trip to Freedom Market. With the current level of increased danger I am not much inclined to explore anymore.

Have you tried using mounts? You don't even need to ride it all the time, you can just take one with you on a rope. In case of something fast like a troll you could just hop on and ride away a lot faster than you could get away on foot. Doesn't even  have to be a superb horse, just one that can go like 20km/h instead of the 15 that we players usually reach as max speed. This way you can safely bring along your gear while travelling on roads since the mount helps you get away safely. Even when you aren't far from your deed it can be quite handy to get back on deed quickly, though it does depend on how steep the land is.

Have you tried using mounts? You don't even need to ride it all the time, you can just take one with you on a rope. In case of something fast like a troll you could just hop on and ride away a lot faster than you could get away on foot. Doesn't even  have to be a superb horse, just one that can go like 20km/h instead of the 15 that we players usually reach as max speed. This way you can safely bring along your gear while travelling on roads since the mount helps you get away safely. Even when you aren't far from your deed it can be quite handy to get back on deed quickly, though it does depend on how steep the land is.

Horses are great on wide open mostly straight roads. They are not so good on single tile roads with lots of turns near 30+ slopes. At speed, timing a turn so I stay on the road without clipping the steeply sloped tile is difficult. I only get it right less then half the time. Last thing I want to happen is my horse to be stopped by the terrain while I'm being chased. I've only got one suitable horse and I'm likely to lose it if that happens (when I die too).

However yes, there are lots of suitable roads where a horse would be good. Maybe I will start to do that more. Thanks for the idea.

This was a great update. This so brings back the feel Wurm used to have. I do think something needs to be done with the bashing of peoples fences, ie horse pens but for the life of me I have no idea how he can make it tell the difference between bashing in versus out. I hate to see it reverted without atleast a serious attempt. No matter what the new mob pathing, ai or whatever causes them to move so much should not be touched at all since that seems to be working great.

New update, should have been these things instead of a shiny new set of PVE servers...

-MAJOR update on graphics, mainly animations.  Come on I see 13 year olds in middle school that can code better animations now.

-Customizable avatars, is it really that damned complex, when even Nintendo had it with the 8bit system?

-Expanded PVP options, OH like perhaps, ship to ship boarding and combat.  (Minecraft can do it.)

Hi,

just came back from holiday. Our "light-house" lava spider had broken it's walls, and because it was in a good mood, perforated the (nearby) pen of our mine-horses at 3 or more tiles.

Thanks to Fo a friend came by and stopped this madness. We'll need a new spider, but the roaming horses was saved. Thank you, you know who you are!

All on deed. Checked further. A pair of vanilla brown bears (kept for riding and cart dragging) had damaged their walls, too. On deed. Slow cat did not, Champ cat did not. Champ lion or vanilla unicorns did.

I'd not mind the breaking out, for Champ creatures. Maybe fierce, greenish, raging too. They should be hard to keep, an acceptable amount of damage done to the pen walls would be OK, IMHO. But not plain brown bears, right?

But never ever should any critter be able to break INto a pen on Freedom or the other PvE servers! This is a perfect bummer - you have a spawn near your deed? Gratz, you'll have to spent quite some time every day now to check & repair your walls. Like on GV, or like a free player. Your money is wasted.

I have the strong feeling that this should be reconsidered.

Have a good time!

Hi,

Xandra , i have merged your thread to this one as there is no need for 2 threads on exactly the same thing .

Xandra, not to burst your bubble, but your lighthouse wasn't going to last forever. Prior to this "ninja" change, the change that put lifespans on critters was inevitably going to kill your light source anyway.

You are correct when you claim that said "lighthouses" have been around for ages, but the day Rolf added the "care for" system and death due to age was the day that everyone that "owned" aggros should have killed them all off for the FS before the server got to them (unless tamed/dominated and cared for by player).

A bit off topic, but needed to be said before any more people cry about animals they penned but never really "owned".

On the subject of determining 'into pen' vs 'out of pen', it is pretty simple.  Just do a pathfind once in a while from current tile to the lair of the critter (or where the lair was, in the case of killed lairs).  If the critter encounters walls, they are fair game for destruction.  And pathfinds in a tile based game should be very cheap.

New update, should have been these things instead of a shiny new set of PVE servers...

-MAJOR update on graphics, mainly animations.  Come on I see 13 year olds in middle school that can code better animations now.

-Customizable avatars, is it really that damned complex, when even Nintendo had it with the 8bit system?

-Expanded PVP options, OH like perhaps, ship to ship boarding and combat.   (Minecraft can do it.)

Terrbile senseless update to the aggro creature AI and spawn rate. You can easily discern those who enjoy it, high fighting skilled people who have little interest in building and maintaining their own villages. Seems that Rolf is missing the obvious here, in that we who purchase, place deeds, buy guards, and pay an additional fee each month for this maintenance are the ones who bring in the coin for him; not these aimless wanderers who's pursuit is killing this overdone animal spawn.

I will always avoid them in the ways available to me. They are just a nusiance to my building pursuits. This overkill in the animal spawning AI and bashing should be confined to Exodus where the uber fighters can have a fine time hunting them. Why impose this aggrivation on the >majority< of players that have no interest in it. There is no reason to other than perhaps Rolf can not code this animal AI to different intensities for different servers and locales (which I suspect may be the case).

=Ayes=

On the subject of determining 'into pen' vs 'out of pen', it is pretty simple.  Just do a pathfind once in a while from current tile to the lair of the critter (or where the lair was, in the case of killed lairs).  If the critter encounters walls, they are fair game for destruction.  And pathfinds in a tile based game should be very cheap.

Very bad idea. What if a lair is located in a pen of a non-Premium player?

then don't pen in a lair

People used to pen and undermine lairs all the time, was a great way to stock up skill when creatures actually spawned at the lair location instead of in proximity to it.   And since that time many players still pen in lairs because they conflict with their 'aesthetic' deed plan, and there had been no real negative consequence to such actions.

Regardless, insulting other players (even in jest) is not a productive way of conducting debate.

honestly....I stopped playing wurm, just because of the huge amount of time that was wasted by some really "not" funny things....like searching for healing cover, running around very slow because of a bad wound....have to do every little action with a click....and so on...

well I thought about coming back because of those new servers, in hope that maybe some people leave Independence and left more space for those who are staying there...

but with this addon....I think I'll not come back, not that anyone is caring about me either, but it already annoyed me that I couldn't outrun a bear easily and if it's about "realisticness" then I have to say: we should be able to climb trees and animals should loose their interest in us after all :o

I was never a person who was much into fighting and I was happy to had a few very good stone walls....them beeing able to be bashed down by some animals now, makes them nearly worthless.

it was said on independence, that a fenced area is a "secured" area and it's not allowed to bash in....that way you could hold a place secure and did know that you only had to watch every few days to repair the walls....but now this is nearly nonsense to do, as you never really know when an animals bashes through :o

Is that meant to FORCE you to go online everyday?

Yeah I know, some will say now: you don't have to play! , but I havent choosed this game to NOT play it, I choosed this server to play in a peaceful and only slightly dangerous area and to build up my "defences".

it just doesn't feel right now, that I'am forced to train my fighting skill only to survive while repeairing or building up my walls again....

does anyone have ever stopped the time how long it takes to repair a wall? or learn fighting?

Yeah it's less time f compared to other things, but don't tell me, that it takes nearly NO time to learn fighting....you just forget that there is more to do than fighting....

I'm sorry...I'm a bit depressed now, because it's another game mechanic to "keep" players playing...

btw. I'Ve played minecraft for some time....and guess why I stopped it....yeah it was ANNOYING, that every night the monsters where so many that you coul'dnt play and build properly, always in fear to fight.

A little threatening is good, but too much is only pure stress!

Miretta it honestly sounds to me you (like many others who now play wurm) prefer World Builders, ala Simcity etc to what Wurm and Minecraft or the other few dozen games that are similar do.

Wurm is not a "Sandbox" as many claim, neither is Minecraft (outside of the Creative mode atleast). Theyre Survival games. Wurm is a Survival MMO and with all these carebear safety features its slowly been made to "look and feel" like a worldbuilder, and now that Rolf is returning Wurm to how it used to be the people who have gotten used to "easy days" are crying.

As for the whole "mechanic to force you to play", thats commerce baby. EVERY MMO in existence does it. Don't go hating the game just because youve finally noticed the underlying mechanics to pretty much EVERY GAME IN EXISTENCE.

Go play Simcity or Populous or with some lego bricks or something.

Master is completely right, Wurm was not meant to be completely safe, easy-peasy, hiding behind your walls kind of game. I do think that the recent update should be reworked so that animals will not bash IN fences, just out of them.

Terrbile senseless update to the aggro creature AI and spawn rate. You can easily discern those who enjoy it, high fighting skilled people who have little interest in building and maintaining their own villages. Seems that Rolf is missing the obvious here, in that we who purchase, place deeds, buy guards, and pay an additional fee each month for this maintenance are the ones who bring in the coin for him; not these aimless wanderers who's pursuit is killing this overdone animal spawn.

I'm one of those "aimless" wanderers who's pursuit is to kill everything to raise my FS. I also own a deed, and in the past have paid and maintained six other deeds (not simulataneously ofc).

So your logic there is flawed.

So in retort I reply with:

A gamechanging update to the aggro creature AI and spawn rate. You can easily discern those who despise it, low fighting skilled people who have little interest in challenge and defending their villages. Seems that Rolf is realising the obvious here, in that we who purchase, place deeds, buy guards, and pay an additional fee each month for this maintenance are the ones who bring in the coin for him; not these people who's only pursuit is to build convoluted villages in a survival mmo as though it was a personal sandbox.

then don't pen in a lair

Don't post before thinking  ;).

Do you really believe someone would intentionally pen a lair?

Lairs spawn randomly you know. It can spawn on an off-deed (freep or perimeter) farm. In fact, they do. Just bashed one like this two days ago.

The unexpected trouble and suffering from this update aside, it was a great one. Maybe Wurm is finally back on track to be that survival game it was destined by Notch & Rolf to be.

The unexpected trouble and suffering from this update aside, it was a great one. Maybe Wurm is finally back on track to be that survival game it was destined by Notch & Rolf to be.

Agreed.