Sign in to follow this  
Telvanni

A possible use for pliers

I was thinking today for a possible use for pliers.

The only conclusion I could come up with is to require the player to hold the pliers in his/her right or left hand before doing any sort of smithing. They wouldn't have to activate them but they do need to hold them in order pull out 'very hot' to 'glowing' lumps. Otherwise we would have to wait for them to completely cool down to take them out. Make it required to keep the pliers in hand while the lump is still at least very hot otherwise the lump drops to the ground and you get the message "The <metal> lump was too hot to hold in your hand, it dropped on the ground in front of you! Ouch!" If you really wanted to take it a step further you could make it where they get a 'very light' burn wound for a 'very hot' lump and a 'light' burn wound for a 'glowing' lump. Keep the rest of the system the same, meaning to create and improve you have to activate the lump first.

To sum it up:

- Player is required to hold the pliers in either one of their hands before taking 'very hot' to 'glowing' from a forge/fire/oven.

- The pliers must remain in hand to keep the lump(very hot+) in your inventory. If you remove the pliers you get the message "The <metal> lump was too hot to hold in your hand, it dropped on the ground in front of you. Ouch!"

- ** To take it a step further introduce a wound system if you remove the pliers:

-- Very light wound for a very hot lump.

-- Light wound for a glowing lump.

-- And vary the degrees in-between.

- Keep the rest of the smithing system the same( e.g.: Activate lump to improve/create).

** - Optional(probably not a good idea :P)

Just an idea.

Edit: Thank you darkren for poking a giant hole in my logic. "How do you initially create the pliers?"

To remedy this I would suggest making a pair of 'crude pliers' out of branches.

Hmm...let's see....making smithing a pain in the rump to make pliers useful. Hmm...I'm gonna have to say "no".

Then the devs need to remove them. That is literally the only way you could ever use pliers.

Also that isn't a pain. All you have to do is put them in your hand. That's it...... literally put them in your hand and you start doing what you have always done. I really don't understand why people are thinking it would make smithing such a pain.

They could be used for dismantling anything held by nails, they could be used as an imp tool for bent metal (hooks, fishing hooks, springs etc) they could be used for torturing goblins, or a variety of other things.

So that isnt the only use tbh, trouble is most "uses" usually result in an extra inconvenience.

Then the devs need to remove them. That is literally the only way you could ever use pliers.

Also that isn't a pain. All you have to do is put them in your hand. That's it...... literally put them in your hand and you start doing what you have always done. I really don't understand why people are thinking it would make smithing such a pain.

And pliers are made with frozen iron lumps? This doesn't add up, sorry.

Read my edit, I posted it long before this comment.

Ok so if the other uses are inconvenient as is this one apparently then I don't understand why it's in the game in the first place. They weren't ever used in beta iirc.

Use pliers on any small wooden object to disasemble it, with your repair skill.

Rope tools

small barrels

chests

storage bins

etc

Yes yes, make pliers the tool for a new salvage skill!

+1. Pulling apart abandoned deeds! ;D

The only reason the original idea is inconvenient is that, as far as I know, people typically have their weapons glued to their hands, so having to unequip them just to use pliers (and then remember to reequip them, BEFORE deciding to jump a venerable troll, or similar) is a little bit of a hassle. You'd need some sort of crude pliers to craft the metal ones, too, meaning another item, one making the other useless. And that puts it back onto the scrap pile, with the cutlery.

An idea would be, if you hold an plier in your right hand, you will be able to activate lumps right in a forge, so you dont need to put them into your inventoory all the time.

An idea would be, if you hold an plier in your right hand, you will be able to activate lumps right in a forge, so you dont need to put them into your inventoory all the time.

yeah right, i often forget that it changed and heating up iron goes fast now, and cooling down needs endless time, im still cought in the old system

Add Stomatology as a skill, and make pliers it's tool

Also add 32 teeth in a subcontainer under the face.

After every time you eat you need to clean them up, otherwise they take damage and decay.

At some point the damage is big enough that you have to find a Stomatologyst to pull your teeth out with a plier.

And as the number of teeth you have decreases you become unable to eat cooked meat, meals, casseroles etc.

Until you have no teeth remaining then you can only eat soups and dishwater.

Possibly add a priest spell that makes your missing teeth regrow...

:o  ;D

Add Stomatology as a skill, and make pliers it's tool

Also add 32 teeth in a subcontainer under the face.

After every time you eat you need to clean them up, otherwise they take damage and decay.

At some point the damage is big enough that you have to find a Stomatologyst to pull your teeth out with a plier.

And as the number of teeth you have decreases you become unable to eat cooked meat, meals, casseroles etc.

Until you have no teeth remaining then you can only eat soups and dishwater.

Possibly add a priest spell that makes your missing teeth regrow...

:o  ;D

Wurm, where we have terraforming AND dentistry!

Oh, boy, I would love to be a fly on the wall if someone mentions that idea to Rolf, deadpan as if it were serious, just to watch his expression.

Add new Item Masher (or the mallet will do it) and purée for those toothless grandpas to make them eat meals.

We don't need to go running around inventing more and more absurd uses for pliers just to avoid the most obvious and sane solutions in making them useful.

I fully support using pliers and hammer in smiting as required tools. Problems with creating the first items? Make it so that creating items without these tools take longer, +10 seconds maybe, because it is difficult to shape the metal without the proper tools but not impossible.

My reasoning behind agreeing on such a suggestion is simple. I do not think complexity, variation, game-play or immersion should be sacrificed to facilitate grinding. Especially because I'm still hoping to see crafting animations.

I see the point of people not wanting to equip the tools every time they smith, but this is mainly because the horrid equipping mechanism wurm has, but maybe this needs to change.

Overall +1

blacksmith-coloring-page.png

We don't need to go running around inventing more and more absurd uses for pliers just to avoid the most obvious and sane solutions in making them useful.

I fully support using pliers and hammer in smiting as required tools. Problems with creating the first items? Make it so that creating items without these tools take longer, +10 seconds maybe, because it is difficult to shape the metal without the proper tools but not impossible.

My reasoning behind agreeing on such a suggestion is simple. I do not think complexity, variation, game-play or immersion should be sacrificed to facilitate grinding. Especially because I'm still hoping to see crafting animations.

I see the point of people not wanting to equip the tools every time they smith, but this is mainly because the horrid equipping mechanism wurm has, but maybe this needs to change.

Overall +1

blacksmith-coloring-page.png