Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Penning Dragons... Again..

Should Dragons be able to be penned?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dragons be able to be penned?

• Yes, Why?
    • No, Why?
    • Make them bash everything! Without a reason..

[o]will not enter a deed.

I'm pretty upset with all these people talking about dragons being able to ignore fences, houses and such. I don't want to be killed over and over just because some dragon decides my deed area is where it should be. If dragons do start randomly ignoring/bashing walls, I plead with the DEVs to listen to Othob's comment. Dragons should also ignore walls/buildings on a deed.

Dragons should act like dragons. Period.

[o]will not enter a deed.

I'm pretty upset with all these people talking about dragons being able to ignore fences, houses and such. I don't want to be killed over and over just because some dragon decides my deed area is where it should be. If dragons do start randomly ignoring/bashing walls, I plead with the DEVs to listen to Othob's comment. Dragons should also ignore walls/buildings on a deed.

Are you going to argue that every aggressive creature that is penned up should escape? Lava fiends, spiders, trolls, bears, scorpions? People lock those up constantly for no reason other than to have 'pets' or 'trophies'.

Don't forget that the people who penned uniques have risked themselves doing so, and a dragon is far from harmless.

It's all part of being a sandbox, people play differently.

I'd be against random spawning/flying of dragons and them tearing up houses etc, the resulting constant whine-fest (rightly so) would do my head in. People go ballistic already if you cut down a tree in their perimeter.

Are you going to argue that every aggressive creature that is penned up should escape? ...

Talk about going to extremes, yeeesh.

No, obviously not. Dragons should be the exception, as they are in all myths. The fact that dragons can be penned so easily just shows that in Wurm a dragon is just a wolf with wings. You in fact proved my point that dragons are nothing special in Wurm, and thus shouldn't exist at all (in their current state).

Are you going to argue that every aggressive creature that is penned up should escape? ...

No, obviously not. Dragons should be the exception, as they are in all myths. The fact that dragons can be penned so easily just shows that in Wurm a dragon is just a wolf with wings. You in fact proved my point that dragons are nothing special in Wurm, and thus shouldn't exist at all (in their current state).

A wolf with wings huh? Obviously you've never encountered one. And really it's time to stop all the crybaby jazz. Ever hear "careful what you wish, you just may get it"? So much crying about penning this or that, well I can assure you there would be just as much crying (or more) if you got your no pen wish. "I can't terraform my deed because of this unique", "I've lost all my stuff and can't find my corpse because of this unique". Really it would get as annoying as this thread. Now I'm not for penning everything but I'd rather see uniques harvested and aged and killed for loot and respawn after death. Give us a reason to kill it and something to look forward to in the future. Though the sight of uniques destroying everyone and everything in their paths would give me a good chuckle. Other than that, sure, 1st to reach it and perform the difficult task of penning it wins.

A wolf with wings huh? Obviously you've never encountered one. And really it's time to stop all the crybaby jazz. Ever hear "careful what you wish, you just may get it"? So much crying about penning this or that, well I can assure you there would be just as much crying (or more) if you got your no pen wish. "I can't terraform my deed because of this unique", "I've lost all my stuff and can't find my corpse because of this unique". Really it would get as annoying as this thread. Now I'm not for penning everything but I'd rather see uniques harvested and aged and killed for loot and respawn after death. Give us a reason to kill it and something to look forward to in the future. Though the sight of uniques destroying everyone and everything in their paths would give me a good chuckle. Other than that, sure, 1st to reach it and perform the difficult task of penning it wins.

I did see one in fact. And it was already being kited by Xallo, mere hours after deliverance opened up. I was in no trouble, and I think I was even lucky to be that close to it before it was penned up. Again, you're going to extremes with "destroying everyone and everything in their paths". Clearly if dragons were able to break fences Rolf should also limit their movement to mountains or some other measure to prevent random movement.

As far as fighting them being difficult, how many dragons are actually fought in the wilderness? How many are fought with the safety of the "gate hop"?

I understand your desire for trophies, but as it stands, dragons aren't much of a trophy of skill, but rather one of luck. "I got there first" is all it says. Yes it takes preparation and knowledge of the game, but if it is repeatedly done within hours of a server opening, it's too easy.

"I got there first" is all it says. Yes it takes preparation and knowledge of the game, but if it is repeatedly done within hours of a server opening, it's too easy.

And we can say the same thing about deeds. So now lets stop deeding? And yes your lucky Xallo was leading it even though I wasn't referring to "seeing" one.

"I got there first" is all it says. Yes it takes preparation and knowledge of the game, but if it is repeatedly done within hours of a server opening, it's too easy.

And we can say the same thing about deeds. So now lets stop deeding? And yes your lucky Xallo was leading it even though I wasn't referring to "seeing" one.

My point is that since dragons are so easily captured they're no threat to anyone. But since it's clear you're just going to keep replying with strawman arguments instead of trying to have a conversation, I guess I'm done with this discussion. Enjoy your trophy.

I strongly believe that unique creatures should NOT be able to be penned.

If we're worried about extinction then maybe we need to have a look at having them respawn again after a very long period of time has elapsed.

1. We killed the goblin leader!

2. Oh no, goblin leader is extinct from server...

3. No problem, a new goblin leader has emerged a month later to assume the throne and unite the goblin tribes!

My point is that since dragons are so easily captured they're no threat to anyone. But since it's clear you're just going to keep replying with strawman arguments instead of trying to have a conversation, I guess I'm done with this discussion. Enjoy your trophy.

Wait what? "So easily captured"?

I'm pretty sure I saw about 5 or 6 people in my local alone that were spending 5 hours straight simply chasing the red dragon to even have a chance at penning it.

Just because someone managed to pen one within a day or two doesn't mean they didn't spend a total of 24 in-game hours on it.

What would you consider the right amount of time spent in game to simply capture a dragon?

Wait what? "So easily captured"?

I'm pretty sure I saw about 5 or 6 people in my local alone that were spending 5 hours straight simply chasing the red dragon to even have a chance at penning it.

Just because someone managed to pen one within a day or two doesn't mean they didn't spend a total of 24 in-game hours on it.

What would you consider the right amount of time spent in game to simply capture a dragon?

No time Budda. Dragons should not be able to be penned, period. If not able to destroy down the walls then they should be able to walk over them and move freely. Don't call them dragons if there not going to act like dragons. Dragons should be able to walk freely, be killed and then be on a spawn timer every 2weeks or something. To be penned up, never seen, sold off or whatever is crazy.

i would agree with this if they had their "unique" zone area thing. Years ago (it might of just been a rumour) uniques would stay in a set area, like a 50x50 or 100x100. They would sometimes chase out of that zone a little but would run back after.

Having it's territory means players can plan around uniques, If they are changed to bash everything around them, it should only be allowed in their territory. It means players can plan around them, rather than have a stray dragon, or sombody lure a forest giant through their town to demolish everything.

While having dragons teleport around the map to fly away or escape captivity may seem cool it obviously will obliterate peoples hard work instantly which is not fun, especially on a small map such as this where it's 4 times the odds of it happening.

If any changes do come of this, they should not be implemented on Freedom or Wild as players have spent a heck of a lot more time and money maintaining their captives. Should all them captives die and a unique respawn happen then it'd be ideal to change uniques on them servers.

Either way, uniques will be caged in some form or another, whether they're bound to a territory of a 50x50 invisible cage, or a 10x10 gated pen. You can't really get an ideal situation without ruining peoples fun as dragons will smash things down instantly when it took you 10 hours of work to build that 7x7 house.

All the real problems with that scenario can be fixed by not having them enter deeds. But protecting the "investments" and "collections" is not a legit reason.

Anyone penning a dragon for a "pet" aka to sell later on for real life gain isn't allowed to speak since you would be affected.

Penning a dragon is completely ridiculous. It should be able to walk over walls/houses. A invisible barrier 50x50 sounds awsome, but then you have the guy building a wall around that. Let them roam free or remove them from non-pvp servers. Because on pve its flat out unfair.

Anyone penning a dragon for a "pet" aka to sell later on for real life gain isn't allowed to speak since you would be affected.

Penning a dragon is completely ridiculous. It should be able to walk over walls/houses. A invisible barrier 50x50 sounds awsome, but then you have the guy building a wall around that. Let them roam free or remove them from non-pvp servers. Because on pve its flat out unfair.

That's the way!

"This will affect you, so you don't get an opinion!"

Well done.

What makes anyone have more or less say in the matter?

Frankly the people who have put money and/or effort into catching such a dangerous creature should have, if anything, more of a say.

I see a lot of whining here about they should bash walls, and they already do. You people are just whining about something you have never even ecnountered, have no idea how strong/how fast/how incredibly annoying it can be - or what it already can and cant do.

We're talking about dragons, because the thread is about dragons. But everything I have said here and other threads about dragon unique spawns I would say about non-dragon unique spawns.

They should not be kept and they should respawn.

A dragon should be able to jump over all walls.

So the only way of getting rid of one who is haunting your town is either to move or to kill it.

Once killed, a week later, a new dragon or dragon egg is spawned elsewhere on the island.

It's essentially taking something away from the community and hoarding it all for yourself.

And yes, I'm sure people are talking about dragons because of their obvious value but what difference does that make? Everyone should be given an equal opportunity to take on something like a dragon.

Well, in that case I would like to vouch for removing deeds and the whole options to build and fence of areas. Youre doing the exact same taking away land by deeding it, someone else may have wanted that too but just becuase you got there faster you get it first. I don't see how that is *any* different. I've just found the perfect coastal spot, nothing like it on the whole server, but somebody else deeded it.

You're in an MMO, different people want different things, some people want the same but its simply limited. You cannot always get exactly what you want and have to make compromises sometimes. Or simply miss out on somethign becuase you didn;t get there first. Want a unique? Be faster than the others who want it. You all have an equal oppurtunity at trying to find it first.

I agree with Othob but if they respawn regularly perhaps we just need them to be uniques that dont give anything other than the thrill of the kill on butcher. The drake and scale seems to just cause a lot of butthurt on both sides of the argument. The shark seems to be a good start a harder mob that basically just gives standard mob items on butcher. If Freedom is to be the PVE server we need a little more in the way of PVE that everyone gets a chance to enjoy.