Sign in to follow this  
Propheteer

To Freedomers: About the Wild Server and why you should try it out

Before i begin, any questions can be posted below. Please avoid flaming, flame baiting, trolling, and dumb debates about random stuff.

Freedomers, i tend to notice a lot of talk about how painfully stressful it is, how demeaning it can be to others through harassments, personal insults etc, how difficult it is to live here, how hard it is to catch up to standards in PvP, and how hard it is to be accepted into the community. I would like to say that a lot of these arguments against wild that you hear in your kingdom chat from people that have never been here are most of the time a straight up lie, fallacies, or exaggerations of what really happens. I mean sure, we have drama and we have competition. Its enough to keep us entertained but 90% of the time its not as bad as it appears to be. Oh, and PvP and Raiding doesnt happen as often as its made out to be, like a few times a month for pvp and once or twice every two or three months for raids. (Keep in mind that more people would rather try and express their dissatisfaction rather than express their satisfaction, its human nature.)

I think, and I'm sure that a lot of others would agree with me on this, that all of you should try out wild at least once. I understand its probably not best for everyone, but it gets boring playing, talking, pvping with the same people we were for the past 2 years. In other words, it would be great if we had some new blood running around. To be able to get to PvP levels, it will only take anywhere from a week to two months to prepare to be on the field with the best of them, in other words to have 70 fightskill/70shieldskill and 70 weapon skill in a weapon of choice and after that you are open to the best aspect of wild which is a great thing to participate in, but it is most definitely not required.

Many people are said to come to freedom and proclaim they were called spies and exiled for it too. It happens sometimes because generally we get 3 or 4 new people, and there is always one person who thinks he can do whatever he wants no matter what, and then he ends up having an angry mob chasing him off the server. Another point i would like to bring up is that the Kingdoms here, i guess you could say its different to different people. Not everyone will like the first kingdom they pick and after that they will just go back to freedom and never return, even though unknowingly they would have great fun in one of the other kingdoms. Being called a spy is also sort of an introductory phase to wild, it teaches people to have thick skin and sorts out those who don't. I say this because there is a very competitive environment on wild and it brings out the worst in people a lot of times. I can assure you, if you try not to do sketchy things, after a week or two you will be welcomed into any kingdom you chose, be it MR, BL, or JK.

Protips on how to not be called a spy

1: Don't immediately log out EVERY time someone in your own kingdom enters your local. Say hi to them or something at the very least.

2. Dont snoop around common warfronts, ask a helpful player as to whereabouts the locations of these are.

Wild is also alot of fun despite the things listed above, we have great hunting, our map is generally flatter with a nice mix of lakes, mountains, rolling hills, flatlands, deserts, etc etc. We have amazing ruins of old deeds, wardeeds, outposts and homesteads that are extremely fun to explore and wonder how it was designed and why it was designed this way. Wild also has a good history that can be intriguing if you decide to put in the effort to read about it. We have PvP, we make our own laws, we have kingdoms and all of the advantages that brings. We have all the tools and stuff you can get on freedom too (maybe a little bit more drake and scale laying around on wild though.  ;) ) Did i mention with PvP comes raiding, and there is a possibility to make very big gains in short amounts of time, although the downside is that you could lose a few things too. There are many more benefits to wild too that i will leave you to find out if you decide to give it a shot. (Hint hint: lots of free space)

It would be nice to have some more players on wild, so i will list (from my experience) generally helpful players from each kingdom, and villages that i would personally recommend. If you have any questions or would like to bring up another argument, please post below and a fellow wilder or myself will answer accordingly.

JK VILLAGES:

Valhalla

Tyre

CAPSALOT

Desolation

MR VILLAGES:

House of Mol-Rehan

Delirium

Eden

inner Sanctum

Pannonia

HOTS VILLAGES:

Sealand

Hells Kitchen

Underworld

Note: some of these villages may require registering on their personal forums and applications, refer to the thread posters of their recruitment threads for questions, not me.

HELPFUL PLAYERS

-JK

Gavin

Duce/Pedro

Fernando

Extrusion

Mojo

Amara

Draugwyn

Joemog

Fooli

Doughboy

Nosyt

Kraegar

Fuegan

Ethipi

Baldeagleog

Kswords

Metaldragon

Carmichael

-MR

Maximustehgreat

Nadroj

Rudie

Wintersolstice

Violetann

Yancy

Zarmazarmaex

Horton

Dragonpen

Red

Snoo/Tantrum

MrGary

Battlepaw

Libertha/Cardboardboxprocessor

Emoo

Klaa

-BL

Mikeyyaya

Onesickpuppy

Reincarnation

Taya

Sunn

Madwallaby

Kellyt

Caliphae

Katitude

Gander

Doctorchaos

-For people that want to cross and would like to talk with someone on freedom

Pentaxpilot

Baenre

Norad

Nefretiti

Caesar

Zaz

Jaytisanoob

Xallo

Alyeska

Snowie

Whykillme

Chewius

Hopefully you freedomers give it a shot and keep in mind that one kingdom may not suit you, so try all of them!

And yes, this is an attempt to make the atmosphere more newbie-friendly on wild and hopefully add some understanding to why people act certain ways, and offer as many opportunities to join a good village in any kingdom as possible, and to help newbies get off on the right foot with some assistance from the right people.

I support this product and/or service.

Altho Doctorchaos is easyer to contact on Pentaxpilot on freedom right now.

Maybe one day ill go there, but now i dont feel really prepared for such a thing. What can you rally do with los skills from 20-30 around there? May be that many things could be grinded fast, but grinding alone to survive isnt that funny. I will stay here on freedom i think maybe a year or so, and then i will see if i might change over. Freedom is where we prepare, wild is where we strike.

It realy sounds exciting beeing on wild, but i couldn't imagine to go there as a totally new Player.

But i wish you luck with getting many new Players.

i tend to notice a lot of talk about how painfully stressful it is, how demeaning it can be to others through harassments, personal insults etc, how difficult it is to live here, how hard it is to catch up to standards in PvP, and how hard it is to be accepted into the community.

There is also the fact that many people on Freedom simply don't want to PVP and like to build peacefully instead, without worrying about some random player coming along and destroying weeks worth of work (even if it does happen rarely on wild).

However, I have tried out wild for a month and joined HoM, and I didn't like it for 3 reasons:

1) There was hardly any PVP (maybe thats because i went at a time when BL and MR had a NAP active)

2) Hardly anyone spoke (not even a hello most of the time)

3) I was called a spy twice, then killed by someone in my own kingdom.

Safe to say, wild sucked from my point of view and I'll never go back. :)

There are indeed lots of reasons to go to Wild.  There are also plenty of reasons to stay away.

IMHO, until forum accounts are linked to ingame accounts and a sea change occurs in the moderation system, it's not worth dealing with the bile and vitriol that one encounters in the game and in the forums.

I have simply given away a couple hundred silver worth of tools and stuff to HoM for redistribution to those in need in HoM, and I'm moving four accounts to Freedom from Wild because I'm done dealing with the flaming monkey poo and Illuminati council.

I might one day return to Wild, but not until something is done to make it less poisonous.

*shrug*

***Yancy sits back and waits for the day when Wild is his own personal server.***

Some day.

I'm not really buying this "you should come over and see what you're missing, you might love it!"-thing, however. I'm getting the impression that in general Wilders' main reason for wanting players to come over is for their enjoyment, rather than the other way around.

+1 great explanation.

Id also like to add that Pannoia is a extremely good deed as well, and the players in it are the hardest working bunch of people ive met.

It always depends what you go for to wild.

You don't have to take part in the race to get your account ready to mess with the top PvPers.

If you want to live freely, like you used to on Freedom, but also have that little nervous edge, to stumble into PvP maybe once every few months, you go to wild and join MR or JK. As MR you settle somewhere west, and you will rarely ever see any BLs or JKs.

As JK you settle up north, and you won't see much MR or BL either.

If you want to take a challenge, you go BL.

Even then - if you're more of a crafter, you can do that in Hell's Kitchen or Katitude's village as well.

Going off deed, doesn't mean instant death either. As long as you watch your local, you can consider yourself to be somewhat safe, as there are usually houses or minedoors close, in which you can hide if your fs is low.

There is no constant MR threat around - they surely come by and try to hunt for noobs, but they arent doing that 24/7.

It's true that a lot of people suspect newcomers as spies, I have to say, I dislike that attitude a lot.

I know that there are spy alts, but generally suspecting everyone is just wrong.

HK is kinda friendly, taking in everyone, supplying with stuff we can and enchants are free as well.

I applaud the effort but I would suggest that you reconsider the tone. Accusing people that disagree of being liars in the opening in fact reinforces the perceptions of vitriolic squabbling you are trying to dispel. It's actually borderline flaming if you think about it, just not likely to be acted on since you have not named anyone personally. Instead of working to discredit dissenters try instead to present the other perspective in a non-accusatory way. It is always better in persuasion to build up your side of an argument rather than to try to tear down the other side. Turn the other cheek, take the high road, stiff upper lip and what not.

From my personal experience othob, alot of the people that were ushered away for being spies either stole an account, or have never been to wild.

8/10 people ive asked. There are exceptions to everything though. I'll probably end up rewriting it just to be safe, thanks.

Maybe one day ill go there, but now i dont feel really prepared for such a thing. What can you rally do with los skills from 20-30 around there? May be that many things could be grinded fast, but grinding alone to survive isnt that funny. I will stay here on freedom i think maybe a year or so, and then i will see if i might change over. Freedom is where we prepare, wild is where we strike.

It realy sounds exciting beeing on wild, but i couldn't imagine to go there as a totally new Player.

But i wish you luck with getting many new Players.

Its not really as skill intensive at it may seem, alot of noobies who go straight to wild off GV do just fine after the introductory phase.

Also @Redd >Added pannonia

i tend to notice a lot of talk about how painfully stressful it is, how demeaning it can be to others through harassments, personal insults etc, how difficult it is to live here, how hard it is to catch up to standards in PvP, and how hard it is to be accepted into the community.

You forgot the long time wilders that recently came to Freedom and complained they were tired of the never-ending Wild drama and also the completely broken combat system that Rolf tried to fix before his holiday, miserably failed and made it worse, and now apparently completely forgot about it.

The majority of those wilders are people who have been on wild for 3 or more years without ever considering or trying another server. Naturally they would tire from the usually small, but sometimes escalated drama that is always lurking around the corner.

@Carmichael - Added to OP.

Some day.

I'm not really buying this "you should come over and see what you're missing, you might love it!"-thing, however. I'm getting the impression that in general Wilders' main reason for wanting players to come over is for their enjoyment, rather than the other way around.

Maybe in some ways, but think about it. If you were on freedom and you saw the same 100 people youve seen for the past 2 years, you would want some new blood, not only ripe for the killing, but people that are willing to learn, adapt, introduce themselves to others and have fun. So sorta :)

There is also the fact that many people on Freedom simply don't want to PVP and like to build peacefully instead, without worrying about some random player coming along and destroying weeks worth of work (even if it does happen rarely on wild).

However, I have tried out wild for a month and joined HoM, and I didn't like it for 3 reasons:

1) There was hardly any PVP (maybe thats because i went at a time when BL and MR had a NAP active)

2) Hardly anyone spoke (not even a hello most of the time)

3) I was called a spy twice, then killed by someone in my own kingdom.

Safe to say, wild sucked from my point of view and I'll never go back. :)

Well thats your choice, but do keep in mind that some people always dont work out in certain kingdoms. I have seen people killed in MR that have done well in JK and vice versa.

I used to be on Wild, Lived at Whosville, then House of Mol-Rehan, I can honestly say the people there are some of the most helpful and friendly people I've met in an MMO. The only reason I ended up leaving was because I felt like I wasn't doing enough for my kingdom, so I went to hermit out for a while.

Which was when five FS level 90 JKs found my deed, and I realized how horrifically broken it was for a newer player to try to gain fight skill.

After my deed got trashed and the money I put into buying the deed got taken away, I came to freedom. I still miss the boys and girls from MR, but at this point, it just feels impossible for newer people to be of any use when even 50 level skills are useless when trying to support your kingdom.

Never got accused of being a spy though, I must have gotten in before that craze

I used to be on Wild, Lived at Whosville, then House of Mol-Rehan, I can honestly say the people there are some of the most helpful and friendly people I've met in an MMO. The only reason I ended up leaving was because I felt like I wasn't doing enough for my kingdom, so I went to hermit out for a while.

Which was when five FS level 90 JKs found my deed, and I realized how horrifically broken it was for a newer player to try to gain fight skill.

After my deed got trashed and the money I put into buying the deed got taken away, I came to freedom. I still miss the boys and girls from MR, but at this point, it just feels impossible for newer people to be of any use when even 50 level skills are useless when trying to support your kingdom.

Never got accused of being a spy though, I must have gotten in before that craze

Uhm yeah, like Propheteer said, you've got something wrong there.

Rolf stated the number of highest FS people like 1-2 months ago, when the first one achieved 90 FS.

It was only 10 people above 80 afaik.

We've got quite a few newcomers in Hell's Kitchen, with the increased spawns (from 20.000 animals to 40.000), and increased FS gains from animals, most of them go from below 10 fs to 70 in 2 or 3 weeks.

With Rolf's updates to armour being 91% useful at 70 Ql, it's fast to achieve good stuff to fight in as well.

My own account is only 10 months old, and I am doing fine in PvP as well.

@Tobari : If you want to come back to HoM feel free and you shouldn't worry about "not doing enough for your kingdom" people help in different ways, we've had new players stand there and dig a 1,000 clay for Hortons tower pushes before. They were proud of doing it and we were damned thankful they did. The war deeds are only the sharp end of the stick, you still need the rest of it too.

About spies......

The whole spy thing is difficult but most towns evolve a process by which they can limit the worst effects of genuine spies. I think in most towns the spies are either identified by account history or behaviour. If you buy an account make sure you let people know you are the new owner. Being able to pop into vent is good as a new voice reduces the thoughts of someone being a spy.

There are several different behaviours that give new players a bad name.

• Logging in, standing still for maybe an hour and logging out again without saying anything.
  • Continual demands for tools and enchants from day #1., you don't need everything immediately so ask for things as the situation dictates.
  • Deliberately trying to come across as noobish when you've already had experience (bad, bad mistake)
  • Bad timing, this sucks but some people manage to only log at the most inopportune moments

Sometimes however you can just rub someone up the wrong way. Some players are more suspicious by nature and as a result there can be more spy accusations than necessary.

I would just like to add I always welcome spies into HoM, I'll always have spare chisels for them  ;)

About PvP.....

With a little support it is not that hard to get your skills up, there are some boring aspects to it but its all doable. If you want to contribute quickly then archery is always a good route in, get some fletching skills, get overall archery to 40 and 30 longbow and some medium bow against targets and you are good to go. Oh yeah, anyone prepared to make and distribute arrows is always going to be popular......

Appreciate your try Extrusion, but...

(Just a little excerpt from the locked Tonygreen thread on the wild board)

Wild is mean and nasty. People will kill you if you disconnect. People will collapse your boat mine entrance and then reinforce it and there is NOTHING you can do to reverse it. People will wait until everyone is offline at your deed and go in and destroy the place. People will get a group of 10-20 and go raid some random new players deed and grief the hell out of it. That is wild.

The started deed shouldn't be safe in my opinion. No where should be safe on wild.

I doubt you will be succesfull as long as players on your own server throw such garbage out.

Wild is mean and nasty. People will kill you if you disconnect. People will collapse your boat mine entrance and then reinforce it and there is NOTHING you can do to reverse it. People will wait until everyone is offline at your deed and go in and destroy the place. People will get a group of 10-20 and go raid some random new players deed and grief the hell out of it. That is wild.

The started deed shouldn't be safe in my opinion. No where should be safe on wild.

I doubt you will be succesfull as long as players on your own server throw such garbage out.

It happens, but not very often.

Yes, somebody worte that, anywhere close to the truth... well no not really. like in all populations 5-10% are .hats the rest are decent. The unfortunate thing about wild is a small few continually troll argue and flame each other in the forums (1/2 of them aren't even actively playing) giving the vast majority of the server a bad name.

Id also like to add that Pannoia is a extremely good deed as well, and the players in it are the hardest working bunch of people ive met.

this is (for myself) problem Nr. 1. If i would join there now, and i might only play around 2hrs a day, i wont feel ggod within this community because i dont work as hard as them.

HK is kinda friendly, taking in everyone, supplying with stuff we can and enchants are free as well.

Hell's Kitchen, with the increased spawns (from 20.000 animals to 40.000), and increased FS gains from animals, most of them go from below 10 fs to 70 in 2 or 3 weeks.

With Rolf's updates to armour being 91% useful at 70 Ql, it's fast to achieve good stuff to fight in as well.

My own account is only 10 months old, and I am doing fine in PvP as well.

sry but when wild is so a good server why go many guys to freedom that is now the point

wild server is not good server to many have paranoid from new players and that on all 3 kingdoms