Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Freedom - Branding Horse System Reworked

Hello,

Currently on Freedom, when you brand a horse, you can't re-brand it like on wild, and you can't remove the brand either.

This means that if a villager, or even yourself, accidently brands a horse that was not meant to be branded it is going to be stuck with you forever.

You can no longer sell the horse, and you can't give it away either since the receiver might want to be able to lead it when disconnecting on another player's deed.

Now the idea is, that when the horse is standing ON the deed it belongs to, only the OWNER of the deed, should be able to remove a horses "brand" option. Perhaps with a glowing branding iron, like when branding it?

This solves accidently branding a horse, and also prevents a villager from griefing horses that were supposed to be for sale, or to give away.

* The griefing is more reffered to, when someone leaves the deed, but brands all horses as a leaving present.

After the horses brand was removed, it can be moved to a diffrent deed, and be branded there again, so that the new owners can call it their horse.

I don't see how this would hurt anyone in any possible way.

Greetings,

WKMz

Looks good, so I can brand my horses when I have them till I sell them..

I'd like this very much. It feels safer to brand horses so I wouldn't want to skip branding the best ones that I want to sell. :)

Hi,

Now the idea is, that when the horse is standing ON the deed it belongs to, only the OWNER of the deed, should be able to remove a horses "brand" option. Perhaps with a glowing branding iron, like when branding it?

Well I don't brand horses but..... I can see this.

+1

Did hell just freeze over??  :P

Remove a brand, that makes no sense.

Technically you dont remove it, but you destroy it by branding over top of it or modifying it.

It is possible ;)

or you could have a time limit to branding.

Horses may also be branded on their hooves, but this is not a permanent mark and needs to be re-done about every six months. ...

Anyhow coming from the make the game easier guy it would seem this idea would be a perfect solution to a problem.

Accessible, not easier. Anyway, I dunno. I figured once branded, it was separated from say, breading or selling stock, mainly used for "work" animals. Is it REALLY the case you brand the wrong animal, like it happens So often its a problem? It is indeed imposable to remove brands. Though I guess in this case its not really being used for what brands are for.

I find it odd you can re-brand on wild, that goes contrary to what brands are for ( Originally ).  I would have thought it would not be possible on wild, to promote PvP. *Shrug*. Its stolen after all.

Temporary brandingTemporary branding is achieved by heat branding lightly, so that the hair is burned but the skin is not damaged. Because this persists only until the animal sheds its hair, it is not considered a properly applied brand.[8]

Cattle rustlers using "running irons" were ingenious in changing brands.

So I have given 3 examples of branding that could have been changed or could be removed.

SO It IS possible it all depends on what kind of branding you use.  ;D

Could just make it a low level Fo spell - sort of like a minor healing of an animal really.

Could just make it a low level Fo spell - sort of like a minor healing of an animal really.

That's a perfect solution, though then you have the issue of whether only the deed owner could do it, vs a rogue priest rustlin' cattle :D

Well if you limited to "Must be on the deed the brand is from" AND "Caster must be a member of that deed" there really isn't a way to exploit it that I can think of...maybe link it to farming permission too if we're worried about our own citizens.

As a reply to MrB:

Yes it doesn't sound very logical to smudge out a burn mark on a horse... But the reason why it was implemented wasn't to make it harder for people to steal your animals. Branding was implemented because some people did not lock their animals up, and by pressing "lawful" they could be lead off of their deeds. Removing the function of lawful resolved the theft problem.

Branding was introduced because the removal of the lawful function actually caused more problems than it solved by making it impossible for people to retreive their animals when they got stuck in a deed wall or when disconnecting on the deed.

Removing a brandmark might not make much sense, but it would be tremendously useful. Just because I don't add my best horses to my work stock doesn't mean that I would enjoy getting it stuck someplace while out test-riding it to check its speed.

Also, a character might not belong to the same village all its Wurmian life and I think they would appreciate to be able to bring their horses with them when leaving.

As a reply to MrB:

Yes it doesn't sound very logical to smudge out a burn mark on a horse... But the reason why it was implemented wasn't to make it harder for people to steal your animals. Branding was implemented because some people did not lock their animals up, and by pressing "lawful" they could be lead off of their deeds. Removing the function of lawful resolved the theft problem.

Branding was introduced because the removal of the lawful function actually caused more problems than it solved by making it impossible for people to retreive their animals when they got stuck in a deed wall or when disconnecting on the deed.

Removing a brandmark might not make much sense, but it would be tremendously useful. Just because I don't add my best horses to my work stock doesn't mean that I would enjoy getting it stuck someplace while out test-riding it to check its speed.

Also, a character might not belong to the same village all its Wurmian life and I think they would appreciate to be able to bring their horses with them when leaving.

This,

Also +1 to the OP.