Sign in to follow this  
Iulianx

Diagonal House walls

Square houses are lame and i think peope would like to have more ways to custmize their house so i suggest being able to plan diagonal walls.

The implementation could work like this: You can place diagonal walls only  between 2 house plans and they would take 30 planks to make.  This would make it simple to implement and bug free i hope, the only problem would be that the tile is split in 2 and it would be kinda tricky when dropping items on that tile.

Hope this helps:

_          |_|_           \|_|

_

|_|  = House Plan

\  = diagonal wall formed between the 2 house plans

Im open to suggestions.

reat idea but as you said - it splits tile into 2 triangles. One is outside other is inside the house. I'm not familiar with programing but this seems impossible or very hard to make with current game setup. And I think having so great client developer team won't help as this is probably server thingy.

a idea would be to relocate the items that should bed ropped on that tile on another tile nearby. Problem solved ^^

_

|_|_

\|_|

It is a good idea, you should have a command like so:

Activate Hammer/Mallet ->> Misc ->> Plan Diagonal/Plan Building.

when you are happy with the Construction you can Finilize.

If you are not happy with some Parts:

Activate Hammer/Mallet ->> Remove Diagonal/Remove houseplan

The Diagonal Wall takes 10 Planks and 1 Lrge Nail but for the houseplan wall it takes 20planks 1 LrgeNail

_

|+_1|

The Diagonal Wall takes 10 Planks and 1 Lrge Nail but for the houseplan wall it takes 20planks 1 LrgeNail

I'd see too much bugs with this, since the tile is split in two. What would happen to items dropped outside or inside the house on that tile? Each tile would have to be split in 4, which

It's really a neat idea, but just really doesn't help much.

Taking int mathematiclt it should take 28 planks, and the problem with the split tile is resolved by not being able to drop items on that tile, If an item should spawn on that tile it willl be spawned on a tile near it.

reat idea but as you said - it splits tile into 2 triangles. One is outside other is inside the house. I'm not familiar with programing but this seems impossible or very hard to make with current game setup. And I think having so great client developer team won't help as this is probably server thingy.

I think currently this would only be pheasable if it was cosmetic only.  That is, the wall wasn't really there, like how you can walk through forges, etc...  The reason being Wurm seems to take some collision logic from the tile edges, the border strips, where walls and such  actually exist.  You know how you can't shoot over a wooden fence even though you can see the spider on the other side?  The built on border edge is between you.

With a diagonal it's not a border edge then complications come in as to what can be "seen" and what cant.  If it was only cosmetic, howerver, and didnt' really block anything then it should be no problem.  But then everyone would say, "how come the spider can attack me from the other side of a diaganol wall..." and cause problems.  So I doubt if it will happen quickly.

I do like the idea however.

I think currently this would only be pheasable if it was cosmetic only.  That is, the wall wasn't really there, like how you can walk through forges, etc...  The reason being Wurm seems to take some collision logic from the tile edges, the border strips, where walls and such  actually exist.  You know how you can't shoot over a wooden fence even though you can see the spider on the other side?  The built on border edge is between you.

Not that it "won't happen" becaue it is possible with the current engine, would just take a bit more coding and logic checking.  Wherever in the code they are checking for the ede tiles being built on they'd need to check for diaganols etc...  It woud be a bit of work, but would be doable.  However I'm not convinced the effort would be worth it.  Understand, I've never seen the code and am just theorizing how the logic works from what I've seen of the game and past experience.

I could be totally wrong.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

well they must add colission to obeject in the future. Its not like making that just for diagonal walls.

It's about time they got collisions in, that way, you'd have climbable towers, easy multistory houses and also blocking noobs in with forges.

;D

It's about time they got collisions in, that way, you'd have climbable towers, easy multistory houses and also blocking noobs in with forges.

;D

From what I understand, this is impossible shortly but possible in the long run, but this would require that each tile be split into 4 triangles. Not 2...

Hrm, I have to say that I would rather see more types of building first.

Adobe hut, half brick buildings, stuff like that. Multi storey building etc.

That said I dont really see why a triangular wall should be that hard to implement but you are not gonna find it so easy to determine inside as simply being that whole tile.

let me have a go on this idea with sketchup, to check how it looks

EDIT here it is:

xek7pf.png

Lol Beast help me with this, try to make a house that looks good with diagonal walls.

the problem with the windows is they don't have an actual window hole in it, it's just transparant texture there, so yup, if you stretch it it does look odd, a wall however doesn't look too bad

Hrm, I have to say that I would rather see more types of building first.

Adobe hut, half brick buildings, stuff like that. Multi storey building etc.

That said I dont really see why a triangular wall should be that hard to implement but you are not gonna find it so easy to determine inside as simply being that whole tile.

Agreed. More variety in buildings/walls/floors/roof/pavement.