Sign in to follow this  
deene

A new player's experience on Wild Server- aka the scary PVP server. Pfft.

@Malvado

One of the reasons Freedom is fairing well is new people spawn on it, if you could also start right off on wild i bet the gap would be much smaller.

Mhm.

Did you read the part about retention of the player base?

Actually I did a pretty bad miscalculation :

Wild  5704 left out of 6330 Premium , ie only 1 out of 10 players is still premium (or 9.92% aprox)

Freedom 4338 left out of 6183 Premium , ie only 3 out of 10 players is still premium (or 29.84% aprox)

Retention is the number of players the server is able to keep , out of 6330 premium players that have been on the server (unsure if thats total or just an yearly average) only 626 is currently premium players there. It's hard to say if that also includes transfers between servers (likely) but the point is that the server is unable to keep premium players over time there wheras Freedom is more likely to keep its playerbase.

I personally really doubt that it has much too do with the "spawn" option and much more to do with the current state of affairs of wild server , but to be honest it also seems Premium has its problems as well and is in dire need of a new server so that Rolf does not risk loosing any more customers.

This goes a little off topic, but freedom doesn't need a new server, it needs an equivalent transport system to boats for the interior sections.    Having access to a waterway greatly increases your selling options, so we either need an equivalent land based technology or the ability to make canals w/ water to create new trade routes into the interior of freedom.

The real difference between Wild and Freedom is the attitude of the population.

If you're not part of a clique, you're going to be either ignored or bullied. There are too many people on Wild who believe that having spent more time and money on a videogame makes them better than you as a person.

They have petitioned and bullied pretty much everyone else away, and now they're lonely because there's not enough cannonfodder to gloat/brag to and abuse.

Because you know a lot about it when you dont even play wurm only during FP invasions...You really need to stop talking ###### because you experienced something bad on the wild server about 2 years ago

ALTS? Yeah they so scary.

We got alts today, people that pay money for alts to grief, lure out "enemies" so they could unstealth their main characters to get a kill.

This is the first time I ever Agree with Malvado "who dont even play anymore, hasnt in several years, and Will probably not ever anymore, but he still have ALOT of suggestions even tho he dont even play" - But, yes make wild free to play. With a minor twist - you need to have appropiate skills for enemies to gain FS from you, Rank and whatever and what not.

We got alts today, people that pay money for alts to grief, lure out "enemies" so they could unstealth their main characters to get a kill.

This is the first time I ever Agree with Malvado "who dont even play anymore, hasnt in several years, and Will probably not ever anymore, but he still have ALOT of suggestions even tho he dont even play" - But, yes make wild free to play. With a minor twist - you need to have appropiate skills for enemies to gain FS from you, Rank and whatever and what not.

I'd say that any change on wild that will make the game more fun for everyone involved (including old timers etc) WILL increase the population of that server over time.

The main reason I'm still around is probably due to the fact I'm still a inquisitive mind and also very creative , I'm honestly curious about the direction the game is taking and if it will survive the new era of portable devices and gadgets we are now moving into.

As for making Wild free to play I think it's an excellent suggestion , but Rolf would need to tie the account so that alt abusing was harder than before.

OK, take with a grain of salt, since I've not played recently.

People are paying for alts to lure out targets because otherwise there's too much non-PVP time on Wild.  Actual raiding or lord forbid sieges are so rarely seen except in a few hotspot locations that people decide to try to manufacture their own pvp any way they can.

This should be expected in a world where losing a fight can mean losing weeks worth of casual playtime creating armor, weapons, tools, horse stuff, enchants, etc, or doing what you need to do to get those items made for you.  Failing that, buying a full set of PVPworthy enchanted 90+ QL gear is going to set you back @75-100 euro.

One of the reasons Wild is so intense is because it's not trivial to lose a fight.  It's also why people are typically very careful about choosing their battles.

wild would be more fun if it was the "scary pvp server" newbies think it is.

I had a lot more typed up but x'd it all out as its nothing that hasn't been said before

Wild isn't that scary because you know where all the newbies are?  They're behind a dirtwall, tall stone wall, low stone wall, and a house guarded by 30 guards.  It's really annoying to hunt outside for PvP because the fact it's so easy to avoid death and running into the enemy by just staying on deed all day.  I know some people who've never ever left deed because... why would you?  You can have water on deed, animals, crops, trees, mines.  There's no reason to get off a deed really. 

People want their PvP on their terms, not that of their enemies. This normally means that they have enough of an advantage to believe they can win. Its also clear that wild players are a suspicious bunch (understatement?) and we've learned the basic patterns of the other kingdoms. When someone steps out of character the immediate thought.... its a tarp!!! This more than anything  leads to alts as for some the dangling carrot of an easy noob kill would be hard to resist.

One of the things I've liked most about Wurm has been the sense of immersion and distance. Going to a place meant you travelled there and it could be an honest to god journey and you could genuinely get lost in the forests, turned around and come out in some strange place. Adding horses and boats shrunk the Wurm world which made it easier to get to PvP but at the same time made it way easier to get out of PvP again. In beta you had to walk everywhere but that meant that when you had an enemy in local it was a real risk. If you latched onto them or vice versa then PvP was much more likely.

I'd say if we want more PvP then we need something that gets us to the tipping point of causing an engagement faster rather than the Mexican stand-offs we seem to have these days.

Wild isn't that scary because you know where all the newbies are?  They're behind a dirtwall, tall stone wall, low stone wall, and a house guarded by 30 guards.  It's really annoying to hunt outside for PvP because the fact it's so easy to avoid death and running into the enemy by just staying on deed all day.  I know some people who've never ever left deed because... why would you?  You can have water on deed, animals, crops, trees, mines.  There's no reason to get off a deed really. 

Would've been appreciated if my posts where I mentioned a few reasons why a big portion of the Freedom playerbase is not on Wild hadn't been deleted. It could hardly have been counted for "off-topic" messages.

It's a common misconception that Freedom players don't go to Wild because we're afraid of dying. I'm sure some players are afraid of PvP (let them be, PvP is not for everyone) but this is far from the biggest reason why the Wild server population is so low compared to Freedom.

I can list quite a few reasons why people stay on Freedom:

- People like building beautiful villages and don't want to wall them in. There is something special about being able to walk into a village and admire it upclose.

- Some players are going to Wild, but they want to get their skills up first. It's a well-known fact that the population on Wild at large is very skilled. Not everyone wishes to grind skills when they arrive, since they go there to PvP.

- Wurm PvP doesn't look very interesting. Many players start playing Wurm because of the terraforming and building aspects, which aren't very common in other MMO games.

- Casual players don't play for a full year of premium and don't want to not be able to log in on months where they haven't intended to play as much due to lack of time and/or funds.

- PvP on Wild is supposedly not happening very often. This scares off the portion of Freedom that is actually interested in PvP... They don't intend to go there to join a Kingdom and sit in a house and grind smithing all day, but that's the impression they get of Wild.

PvP generally happens when someone makes a decision for it to happen

BLers sailing across to southern MR to raid deeds down there, even going up close to GC (I didn't see that coming) Sometimes they have an easy time and a clean escape, sometimes it goes pear shaped but props on them for doing it. They make it happen.

JK or MR come to "ring the doorbell" on enemy deeds, the intention is to make something happen, depending on who is involved and numbers, it may or may not happen but the opening is there.

There are players who have favourite places to hunt around, Joemog seems to like Eden, Emoo and Candee like anything in BL lands but they go out there to make it happen.

No one wants to fight if they think its going to be suicide and thats when the wait and watch stuff happens. I think sometimes the JK and MR teams present at a scenario are too finely balanced for anything to happen, in those cases you need a TonyGreen who's prepared to risk all to make it happen.

The stay in a house and grind smithing thing... often thats an alt specifically for that purpose though there are those of us who set ourselves ludicrous targets and then.... meet them. Its scary sometimes.  Often the sitting at a forge is while waiting for the rest of a group to get together just so you can go off and fight somewhere. Getting a raid group to actually meet up at a set time and place seems to be sooooo hard in Wurm!  :-\

There are plenty of players who just play part time, real life has precedence after all, just know that in all kingdoms when you do return then your countrymen are just glad to have another pair of hands to help.

BLers sailing across to southern MR to raid deeds down there, even going up close to GC (I didn't see that coming)