Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Announcements Tab

Simple, the title says it all.

So orange messages can go into a seperate tab - important messages such as with the climbing bug, premium time expiry, and server downtime don't go missed in the spam of event.

Also I dont want to have to look at MrBs bush and zombie blah.

I'm in agreement here, I'd rather see only important stuff in event and not irrelevant orange text like "[21:24:02] <Mrbloodworth> Im a little teapot!"

No offence intended to any devs/gm's, But its irritating to get orange text flashing up catching your attention only to be informed of someones desire to be a teapot.

+1, but no complaining when a separate 'Announcement' tab pops up, flashing and all, and it contains a message in which the yay-sayers here are not interested  ;D

+1

Apart from the Dev spam it allows important messages to go through without the constant Event spamming. "Corpses are still lootable, even now on the 25th message!"

+1

Apart from the Dev spam it allows important messages to go through without the constant Event spamming. "Corpses are still lootable, even now on the 25th message!"

Along with this, there could perhaps be a system whereby any stored announcements (such as current exploitable bugs which would carry a penalty for abuse) are automatically flashed up when someone logs in.

Would also negate the 'but I didn't know' comments as then ignorance is not an excuse.

[21:24:02] <Mrbloodworth> Im a little teapot!"

I loled so hard.

But yes, I agree. If it automatically opens up on login, it also means that the message does not need to repeat over and over and over.

I loled so hard.

;D

I use event as announcements, event info, PSA's, Feedback requests and the occasional joke. Its all in the course of my duties. Most enjoy my shenanigans and info. None of it is "abuse of powers" as you guys like to claim.

Wild is one area that does not get events, if you dislike server events that server is free of them.

I am indeed, a little teapot!  8) Speaking of, if anyone has a event they would like me to support, feel free to PM me and ill see if I can lend a hand.

I dislike the idea of yet another tab, and most repeated announcements like "don't climb or you will die" are spread out enough that I can view them and go on with my game.

I'd *really* prefer regional or zone chat, with the event announcements in the relevant zones.  I'm an hour or more from the Howl and FM, and will not move there to join in an event that might easily be done before I arrive.  People in distant zones don't need constant orange; a note when the event begins and when it ends is probably all they need.  People in and near the FM zone might be interested in joining in, or need to be aware of mobs, so the orange in that region makes perfect sense.  The same will hold true in Epic, and I think this is great practice and trial for what might be done there. 

Special text requires players to react to it, absorb it, and decide what to do about it.  If it is about something happening nowhere near me, the decision becomes - orange (or any colored text) can be ignored.  I don't think that's good.

tl;dr:  Don't condition players to ignore teh orange.

(waits for post to be wiped because of the above pissing match)

Thread cleared of irrelevant material.

Let's leave this as a clean suggestion thread please.

Stop spamming the thread, this is a feature I would really like to see in the game (and no, this is not an attack towards anyone - I just really dislike bug messages etc where I try to keep track of what I do in-game).

Mine and other people's reasons for wanting this:

- Bugs happen, sometimes they coincide with you trying to build something that needs a lot of pieces added

- Some other features people have requested (for example the back-up lag message) are of no interest to me, but others would like it

- At least two-three of the devs like to use Event as playground, and while that amuses many it annoys others (as could be seen in this thread)

- Random other reasons, I only counted the obvious ones but there might be more reasons

There's plenty of room for another tab in the events box.  I'm down for this.  +1

I'm not really against the Announcement Tab, but the reason given I am against.

I actually like GM/Dev's being personable.  Makes things more enjoyable.

I'm all for them being personable.  Several of them are.  Most of them when being personable are in the Kchat tab.  They seldom use colored text when they are playing around.  It appears to me that people enjoy this and have fun with them.  When it is in Events tab, it is impossible to ignore.  Your eyes are immediately drawn to it because you think something is wrong.  It just shouldn't be there unless it is an event or a problem.

I hardly see how making it easier to see announcements is a reason against - I often miss messages when I que up a few actions and tab out of the wurm screen  for a minte - with important messages such as bugs it would be nice to have them in a seperate place.

+1

When the climb bug thing was spamming my combat window i was freaking out thinking i kept getting hit alot more until i read it

and the fact that i dont need 999999999999999 things telling me in event either.

+1 to not missing announcements because of event log spam.

Though I would miss freaking out to the 'Fogs spider hits you deadly hard' messages I recall from JK home. ;)

+1 to not missing announcements because of event log spam.

Though I would miss freaking out to the 'Fogs spider hits you deadly hard' messages I recall from JK home. ;)

I loved those messages, i was 40 tiles away and jumping in the lake when i realized it was a joke the first time.  i laughed for about 10 minutes and thought "man, that was awesome. the GM's in this game are laid back and like to have some fun"

As to the OP, i certainly agree that a regional or zoned chat would be nice for this, perhaps a second "local" thats a few hundred tiles in radius and ignores above/below ground that only moderators can write to?

I hardly see how making it easier to see announcements is a reason against - I often miss messages when I que up a few actions and tab out of the wurm screen  for a minte - with important messages such as bugs it would be nice to have them in a seperate place.

I said I'm NOT against the tab.  I just said I don't agree with the reason for it here, but the announcements tab is a good idea.

+1

truthfully: I don't like MrB spamming orange text for something that isn't of immediate importance

[21:24:02] <Mrbloodworth> Im a little teapot!"

I loled so hard.

But yes, I agree. If it automatically opens up on login, it also means that the message does not need to repeat over and over and over.

;D But back in topic, I agreed, a second tab, or whatever other means, I can go for, as long as important messages are keep in the normal event tab.

+1

I'm in agreement here, I'd rather see only important stuff in event and not irrelevant orange text like "[21:24:02] <Mrbloodworth> Im a little teapot!"

No offence intended to any devs/gm's, But its irritating to get orange text flashing up catching your attention only to be informed of someones desire to be a teapot.

I am still jumpy from the pre-ff age where the orange text in event meant a spider was chewin' on yer butt.

(also, add an option to just keep this closed to completely ignore non-necessary events... and bring back the /news splash screen already!!! Seriously, put the important messages in here!)