Sign in to follow this  
ericbomb

maybe... just maybe...

wild would have more players if Freedom was nicer to newbs...

I mean you show up and have to walk a good distance or suicide to get anywhere.

Yes I know that if you go in the right direction its easy to find open space and trees. But a newb wont know which direction that is.

I dont know really, I just feel that if freedom was more newb freindly the game would benifit as a whole... So here are some things I think older players can do, just little things that if everyone does will make it better...

sprout, sprout, sprout. Especially in areas around the howl.

If your a really exp player dont take up easy to settle land, try moving into an area that a newb couldnt survive in, as atm all the easy to live in land is deeded by big players, and it seems like small players have a hard time finding a good place to live.

Remember they don't want to walk 2 hours for thier first taste of game play. But with everything around the howl deeded up and no tree cutting thats what we are asking new players to do.

Be nice to newbs, if they ask for a piece of cotton so that they can make a 1 ql fishing pole so they dont starve DO NOT direct them to your personal trader that is selling high ql ones and tell your village to ignore them. (happened me, almost got down to starving before finally botanizing some up, was annoying though because I knew the village I was by had more then plenty)

If you own a deed around the howl give out sickles and ask that for every tree they cut down they GIVE YOU the sprout and in return they may cut down a tree or two on your deed, that way you can plant it smart and with a higher chance of success. Just by doing this the amount of trees will increase I think.

Make your mine (or a mine with low ql iron in it) public, people say they get annoyed when newbs make drop shafts, but when your a newb your desperate for iron so you dont really care who you annoy as long as you get it. So if your around the howl if you make a mine public that has iron in it that would help a ton.

Yes I understand areas like these are availabe, and I know where some are. But Newbs dont, and we cant expect them to want to walk an hour back the way they came just so that they can cut down a tree. To us an hour is no big deal, but you have to remember first impressions can not be un done, and if there first impression is that to do anything you have to walk 3 hours to get the simplest of rescoures, they wont stick around, and I have a feeling Rolf wont make a new freedom until freedom truly is packed, so yeah. Lets just all work together to see if we can help some newbs out... im gonna make an alt that stays at the howl to try and help out new players. But I really think we all need to help...

I also think that the howl should actually have something done with it. Who owns the howl anyway? As I personally would set up free workshops and stuff if I could...

Let's not make everything too easy. The fact that its a large map that's "hard" to navigate is one of the cool things in wurm. Also everything taking a lot of effort, like getting an iron mine and making basic tools is one of the great things. If you're not willing to put in effort you shouldn't play wurm.

Why do you play on freedom? Sounds like a prison to me. - You dont want to be involved in pvp? You dont have to be on wild either. There are many players on wild that dont pvp, they craft and do what they want.

The difference between freedom and wild is, on freedom you cant do anything to punish the player that cuts the trees outside your doorstep, or that grief roads. On wild you can!

Come to Wild, we welcome every new player that come from freedom, we help you with houses, tools and armour and weapons.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=44711.0

Welcome

Come to Wild, we welcome every new player that come from freedom

Unless they are spies, which from what I hear 99% are.

Let's not make everything too easy. The fact that its a large map that's "hard" to navigate is one of the cool things in wurm. Also everything taking a lot of effort, like getting an iron mine and making basic tools is one of the great things. If you're not willing to put in effort you shouldn't play wurm.

Its true, but we love the game. We are telling newbs that to do anything takes four hours, to even MAYBE have fun takes four hours, some players proably quit before they find a tree they can cut, cant we make the spawn area a little more newb freindly? First impressions are everything and the howl gives a miserable one.

This thread has been truncated due to insults and arguments.

Please be considerate and think about what you post.  We try to be considerate to all.

Truly preposterous and totally uniformed.

Do not blame the lack of Wild players at the doorstep of Freedom players. That blame falls squarely on Wild itself, ranging from their refusal to allow F2P to the weak offering of PvP mechanics. Wild can be fixed or it can die. But forcing Freedom to be its recruitment area and holding us to account for its unpopularity is ridiculous.

And do not lay the blame for the troubles of new players on our doorstep either. None of us were responsible for the Howl being dropped into rough terrain in a highly crowded area and made no more than a token. If it were up to most of the "big players" it would have been put someplace with lots of open space and facilities made like public mines or tree farms. But we don't have a say in that.

And complaining that older players shouldn't live on easy terrain and should leave that for newer players! You do understand that most of those settlements were placed a loooong time ago, long before any newcomer showed up to complain. Insisting the people rip up their roots and terra-form a mountainside so that you can drop a shack on the land is the height of selfishness. And what makes the new player more important than the old player? What gives them more right to play as the want than an old player deserves?

All those selfish older players with all their deeds...those are what pay for the game! That's what allows you to play for free on Freedom.

You don't fix anything by pointing fingers.

Word of Advice: Join a Village.

wild would have more players if Freedom was nicer to newbs...

Yes I know that if you go in the right direction its easy to find open space and trees. But a newb wont know which direction that is.

If your a really exp player dont take up easy to settle land, try moving into an area that a newb couldnt survive in, as atm all the easy to live in land is deeded by big players, and it seems like small players have a hard time finding a good place to live.

Remember they don't want to walk 2 hours for thier first taste of game play. But with everything around the howl deeded up and no tree cutting thats what we are asking new players to do.

Just remember when a lot of us experienced players were new we started at Samling a long way from the howl, and many of us did walk a long way to get somewhere.  The Howl and surrounding areas were taken up by people wanting to get away from it all.

Not all land is easy to settle. Most of that land has been terraformed to what it is now.  I know that when my husband and I took off from the Acadamy of enlightenment we only had a borrowed rowboat and very few supplies.  We landed at an area that took us about 2 months to settle as it was very hilly. We could only dig very limited slopes as well so had to build our skill up. We also had to surface mine some areas that had rock in the way. The total flattening of the land took us way over 2 or so months to do. So don't tell us to move away from our hard earned land so that others with as little skill as we had when we started can take over.  

I try to be helpfull to many new players, I show them courtesy and respect if I am shown it in return.  I know there are a lot of new players that are looking to learn.  There are just as many that want a hand out and then spit on it afterwords. New players have to learn just as we did to survive.  

Also, learn to use the wiki and the CA channel for questions you may have.  Not all of the people in Kchat are helpful and many will steer you wrong or try to give you bad advice.

The one change that would make movement easier for new players, who are constrained by lack of places to build: prohibit off-deed fencing.

It would also seriously impact any F2P who wanted to farm, but refused to join a village.  But it would make movement and access easy.  And the amount of space any player could take up, with no fields, just a house or two, would drop waaaay down.

I just came from Wild, and this is the cause of 99% of the problems we have had with newer players. It's due to the removal of alt abusing rules on Wild. Anyone who says Wild doesn't have this problem it outright lying.

Because everyone opposes the ability of playing multiple characters or even the removal of multi-clienting but in exchange they remove f2p (one of the reason will still be dying if PvP was reasonable) and think that if you pay for an accoutn you have the right to grief.

Because everyone opposes the ability of playing multiple characters or even the removal of multi-clienting...

Exactly, and that's why we're stuck. :P

Alt griefing and spying ruined a lot of the fun on Wild, in my opinion. Being paranoid that every new player who wanted to join your Kingdom isn't a good turn-on for Wild, either.

Thats only paraniod jk, it's in their head, not the real game. Other kingdoms don't have much problems with that.

Thats only paraniod jk, it's in their head, not the real game. Other kingdoms don't have much problems with that.

Yes they do.

I seen many people in all kingdoms get blamed and accused of being a spy, HotS, JK, and BL.  It happens.  Not even a month ago there was a recording of Horton freaking out and accusing some people in HoM of being spies.

Yes they do.

I seen many people in all kingdoms get blamed and accused of being a spy, HotS, JK, and BL.  It happens.  Not even a month ago there was a recording of Horton freaking out and accusing some people in HoM of being spies.

I also remember there being a inquisition of a few people in MR after that incident, quite a few people died.

Wrong. It's for all Kingdoms.

Thats only paraniod jk, it's in their head, not the real game.

Is Kyara really that hard to raid, I mean if MR could take on the guards and the players I don't see why they couldn't drain Kyara.

Step 1 set up a few JK accounts

Step 2 on these accounts build a small compound near kyara

Step 3 in this compound fill tons of bsb's with dirt and iron ore as well as some bricks and mortar

Step 4 leave one section of the compound vulnerable and have the bricks and mortar to build a gatehouse .

Step 5 MR comes in some people fight the guards and other people quickly build the ramp and start breaking the walls. From there it is a normal raid.

Not sure if this would be against the rules but it seems pretty straightforward to me.

idk what you could do to prevent this, someone could have a completely unsuspicious looking deed, where you can't see all of the bsbs full of dirt I mean I guess if you see a bunch of people going in and out of some place with large carts, that might be reason to be suspicious.

I dunno. Maybe you're just looking through some kind of rose tinted glasses but..

Step 1-4 is done by alts, only the actual last step is done by the real accounts. Now explain to me how it is not in the game.

Because thats just paranoia. Nobody actually did that, it's a dreamed up scenario by someone who's schizophrenic. The suspected spies in mr too, nobody turned out to be an actual spy.

Because thats just paranoia. Nobody actually did that, it's a dreamed up scenario by someone who's schizophrenic. The suspected spies in mr too, nobody turned out to be an actual spy.

But they were killed regardless. So the paranoia is not just one kingdom.

Oh yes? What do you here- or, more importantly, who do you hear it from? The people that are accused of being "spies" are those who go about doing whatever they please, normally in the form of stealing items or sabotaging roads. Most new players are invited with open arms- we don't even have a screening process for HOM. If you're a good person, and you're not going around making enemies wherever you stroll, you can find a place on Wild with very little trouble.

hes sarcastic ...

Zarma is just saying that the rumour "new peoepl on wild are killed becuase theyre accused of being spies" isnt true. Sure, if you start doing dodgy things or act starneg you will get killed. But if you act normal, just behave well, you wont get in much trouble.

hes sarcastic ...

Zarma is just saying that the rumour "new peoepl on wild are killed becuase theyre accused of being spies" isnt true. Sure, if you start doing dodgy things or act starneg you will get killed. But if you act normal, just behave well, you wont get in much trouble.

Yeah, but when things go sour, the non-elders are the first to be blamed.  Like in the Horton's BS video, the ones who catch the blame are the newer players, Sparktaco/Snowie because they're new. 

I know. But the rumour says that the moment you step though the portal, people will kill you becuase they think you are a spy.

That's not true at all.