Sign in to follow this  
jakeabbott96

Intel graphic support

This game needs to add support for Intel graphic chipsets, like Intel HD for example. They run at 128MB dedicated, but are integrated into the PC. For some bizzare reason, Wurm doesn't like them and makes the game lag like crazy for anyone using an Intel graphics chipset. The people behind Wurm need to look into making it more accessible for us Intel users, as this would mean a much higher player rate.

Trust me, lots of people are stuck with laptops with Intel graphic cards. If they were given support, that would mean a whole new bunch of players to add to the mix.

Farewell, Wurm. I'm going to go and wait for 6 months until this game is updated to actually play smoothly on my system.

Intel integrated graphics are a standard on "budget" laptops (and less often now, desktops) that are primarily designed for non gaming purposes. They are made for spreadsheets, document writing, some web surfing. They are really not designed to handle the graphics of games very well.

If you intend to game on an intel graphics chipset anyway, it is absolutely essential with intel graphics to use the latest drivers from intel itself -- not the generic windows ones from Microsoft, and especially NOT from the laptop manufacturer, who usually settle on older stable drivers as stability is really all they want. Intel actually does a decent job of trying to update newer chipsets for OpenGL gaming and many times you can still get a newer driver direct from Intel that performs better for games, but some laptop manufacturers actually block the ability of their intel chipsets from using intel made drivers -- again, because stability is what is important to businesses, not gaming. Once they find some ancient 2003 driver that works, they latch onto it and refuse to update it further. You might try this page and see whether you are able to get more gaming-friendly intel-made drivers on your laptop. Often you can install them on systems like Dell etc by foregoing the automatic update utilities, and extracting and manually installing the drivers. Intel provides some workarounds for doing that on this page:

[b]http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm

(scroll down to "WORKAROUNDS" and the "have disk" method for your OS)

Even if you DO get intel drivers installed, at best you'll be able to play most games at minimal settings, as that is the price you pay for a business oriented chipset. But often you can inch up from "unplayable" to "playable, kinda" by switching to better drivers.  OpenGL games can at times be very, very picky about proper graphics drivers.

You can't just say "it doesn't take much effort" if you buy a non-gaming system then don't make some effort yourself, to get it to do things it was never intended to.  So give those links a try. And good luck and we hope you can get back to Wurm soon.

This isn't all about me. I'm not the only one with an Intel graphic chipset, and I have already updated it.

I bought my system purposely with full knowledge that it had Intel HD graphics. That doesn't make me inferior or less deserving than other gamers, it just makes me less able. Why can't this be fixed?

those intel graphics cards just aren't made for gaming. Seems to me you wanted to save money by going with one of those, but you also wanted to game. Unfortunatly those two things aren't compatible. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Dude, no game is optimal on the Intel integrated series. My laptop uses an Intel card and I have low fps. Whose fault is this? Noone's, they just aren't created for gaming, you and I game with them anyway because we feel like it. Face it, you're gaming on a machine meant for office work. :)

This isn't all about me. I'm not the only one with an Intel graphic chipset, and I have already updated it.

I bought my system purposely with full knowledge that it had Intel HD graphics. That doesn't make me inferior or less deserving than other gamers, it just makes me less able. Why can't this be fixed?

Just a small bit of research before your purchase would've made it very clear that an Intel chipset isn't suitable for gaming. If you want a laptop with performance that can handle modern 3d games you need the hardware to back it up, there is no way around that.

It is true that Intel graphics chips are intended only to meet Microsoft windows minimum requirements for their operating systems in order to reduce costs of laptops and other efficient low cost systems.

They are surprisingly agile for their intended purpose, and I even play Wurm on my netbook which has an Intel chipset.

The developers are regularly making improvements that tend to improve performance on Intel chips, but I am uncertain how specific they may be working on Intel compatibility.