Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Fighting system feedback

Its just too much of a buff, and nobody can tell me it makes sense that if you parry an attack you still get full damage, or when you hit a wolf/bear/spider/troll/whatever it may glance off their armor.

It needs a bit tweaking, and thats why we post it here.

From what I have noticed during PvP with the new system is that it has shifted towards numbers and further away from fighting capability ie player skill. Since shields do not block as often it is now very easy to tell all your friends to target one person and they will die very fast

From what I have noticed during PvP with the new system is that it has shifted towards numbers and further away from fighting capability ie player skill. Since shields do not block as often it is now very easy to tell all your friends to target one person and they will die very fast

But in a good way IMO

The issue is not one change but that there are a whole series of changes which add up and now no one really knows for certain which part of it all is the worst.

Before all these changes started and before I priested I used to go out hunting with a short bow. I didn't muck about trying to find a safe place to fire from instead I ran up and simply fired arrows down their throats until they died. The thing is I was fighting without a shield and a bow doesn't parry well. I took plenty of damage and against hardened or higher trolls I had to back off and heal every time. The troll hit regularly but they didn't machine gun back then. When I used a shield and a one hander the shield block was clearly OP, I took so little damage and I did not have high shield skill I think I was playing with around 50-55 medium shield then.

Now we have much less shield block when using a shield and the hit options for creatures boosted. Based on those experiences I don't feel its as bad as my short bow days 1 but it is significantly worse than it was before. Rather than chop and change all the bits I'd suggest first just fix the I parried/blocked but still got hit and see what that does. If its not enough then look at the 4 in one attacks and cut that back. The only way I can see a horse getting 4 attacks on me in one second is if the damned thing is jumping on my head......not right...

Note that the above changes nothing about player side combat itself. This is the most drastic bit that always needs the most care. I'd say the old days of super shield protection should be gone but instead ask what we should sensibly expect. Don't actually change anything until some sort of consensus can be reached else we'll have one group yelling at Rolf to buff it and another then yelling to nerf it. How much should shields block, how fast, how much coverage should they give, are the variations between different shield types sensible, or not?

Oh yeah and keep it all on the test server until we can agree its acceptable.

1 I mean that using a shield now is not as bad as going without a shield back then, shields and creature hits now are better than no shields and easier hits back then.

0.1 DMG to the shield each successful block is a bit to much IMO. It seems independent of shield QL.

0.1 DMG to the shield each successful block is a bit to much IMO. It seems independent of shield QL.

Agreed, 40dmg to my 80ql shield on a relatively short hunting trip seems a bit too much.

Agreed, 40dmg to my 80ql shield on a relatively short hunting trip seems a bit too much.

I agree on this aswell

Personally I would like to see shields take considerably more DMG during fights so there is a possibility of destroying the shield outright!

That being said, I would also like to see repairing work a lot more efficiently. I don't know what it is now but I know repairing removes way to much ql. If you have a 90ql shield with 50dmg, after repairing it will likely be an 80ql shield. I would love to see someone with 100 repair skill be able to repair the same shield and quite possibly take 0ql or very little ql off. Depending on the repair skill you can scale the successfulness of the repair.

Personally I would like to see shields take considerably more DMG during fights so there is a possibility of destroying the shield outright!

That being said, I would also like to see repairing work a lot more efficiently. I don't know what it is now but I know repairing removes way to much ql. If you have a 90ql shield with 50dmg, after repairing it will likely be an 80ql shield. I would love to see someone with 100 repair skill be able to repair the same shield and quite possibly take 0ql or very little ql off. Depending on the repair skill you can scale the successfulness of the repair.

Youd need to take alot of damage to have a shield lost in a fight considering in wurm PvP its mostly staring contests with afew rushes back and forth...plenty of time to grab a new shield.

I think you guys are missing the point.  I want you to be able to repair your shields without them loosing much ql. However if you neglect your shield it will get destroyed pretty quickly.

I would rather see shields be more effective again but loose effectiveness quickly as they get damaged.

The main problem i think is ganks with the new combat system. Ive seen people fall down in 7 seconds in ganks...

The main problem i think is ganks with the new combat system. Ive seen people fall down in 7 seconds in ganks...

Put shields back to as powerful as they were.

Increase damage shields take in pvp/pve. (maybe even by type of wep. Axe do huge dmg to wood, mauls huge dmg to metal).

Reduce the damage shields take from repairing, determined by repair skill.

Honestly I think shields were actually OP, people seemed to complain if any damaged leaked through to cause wounds, or so it seemed.

The repairing skill reducing the damage on shields, that happens now. I've high repairing but normally don't allow my shield to get too damaged. On the few instances when I do, a training shield ~50ql with 30 dmg repairs to around 47ql or thereabouts.

The problem i see is inexperienced fighters getting killed in about 10 seconds without landing a hit.

Isn't it bad that shields are required to PvP?

Actually the whole fighting system sucks in Wurm still, I gained 2 normal fighting skill (from 47 to 49) at the same time that I gained from 49fs to 70fs since these changes.

The only way to be effective in PvP is apparently to stand whole day and getting hit by weak animals for months in a row.

Just FYI we were fighting there a long time and Tony was not carefull at all, it was only a matter of time when he would die. I would say its more because chain armor sucks so much now that he went down so fast.

Just FYI we were fighting there a long time and Tony was not carefull at all, it was only a matter of time when he would die. I would say its more because chain armor sucks so much now that he went down so fast.

Its still silly, I was looking away then turned around and saw Rozare get killed before I could even react to the situation.

A fix to this issue would be to remove the effect of wind of ages on weapons, killing two birds with one stone as woa is no longer a requirement and swing timers increase, elongating fights. I also dont understand why foot wounds were made more severe, this just adds to the effectiveness of gank the guy in chain pvp, if you want to kill someone it should be difficult since the potential rewards take hours to obtain naturally.

Its still silly, I was looking away then turned around and saw Rozare get killed before I could even react to the situation.

A fix to this issue would be to remove the effect of wind of ages on weapons, killing two birds with one stone as woa is no longer a requirement and swing timers increase, elongating fights. I also dont understand why foot wounds were made more severe, this just adds to the effectiveness of gank the guy in chain pvp, if you want to kill someone it should be difficult since the potential rewards take hours to obtain naturally.

We shouldn't get any changes just because Tony dies...

It wasn't easy to kill him geeze, it took a while before managed to kill him.

Also we probably had way better skills than that the Rozare account and he was dancing around in the front alone with like 3 JK's and a ton more behind us.

Remove WOA completely from weapons? Hell no, then everyone will NEED nimbleness wich is even harder to get.

Foot shots aren't slowing down much at all, if anything they should slow down more. We didn't even bother aiming for Rozare's lower parts as you can see on the hits. It's not worth the time it takes to aim the little extra speed penalty.

We shouldn't get any changes just because Tony dies...

It wasn't easy to kill him geeze, it took a while before managed to kill him.

Also we probably had way better skills than that the Rozare account and he was dancing around in the front alone with like 3 JK's and a ton more behind us.

Remove WOA completely from weapons? Hell no, then everyone will NEED nimbleness wich is even harder to get.

Foot shots aren't slowing down much at all, if anything they should slow down more. We didn't even bother aiming for Rozare's lower parts as you can see on the hits. It's not worth the time it takes to aim the little extra speed penalty.

The effect of woa is pretty much gone already. The speed increase is very small

tbh remove religion and make weapons get faster as you get more skilled..

[01:18:10] You skillfully parry with your small maul.

[01:18:10] Adolescent starving troll mauls you deadly hard in the chest and damages it.

[01:18:25] You skillfully parry with your small maul.

[01:18:25] Adolescent starving troll mauls you deadly hard in the right calf and damages it.

[01:19:00] You skillfully parry with your small maul.

[01:19:00] Adolescent starving troll mauls you deadly hard in the stomach and damages it.

^

This....this is retarded.

Sums it up, Joemog how can you dispute this?

Looks like a parry bug to me but what do I know?