Sign in to follow this  
ericbomb

A question to freedomers

Why will you not go to the wonderful place that is Wild?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Why will you not go to the wonderful place that is Wild?

• Dislike PvP
    • I'm a carebear
    • Not premium
    • I'm not a fighter, I'll be bored
    • scared to get stuff stolen
    • Another reason
    • Im on wild and loving it, and wanna see the poll results

So I'm kind of confused why so many people dislike Wild, its honestly in MHO that wild is a BETTER freedom. Yes I said it, now I will make my arguments real quick and let you guys make your counters.

First off you need to understand that Wild is like real life. Your not always plauged by war, we live in a PvP world pretty much with wars, but are you a warrior if you don't want to? If you live in a safe place of course not, of course some violence hits everywhere but thats why you have warriors that will protect you, or a simple surrender works.

In the game its the same, there are deeds that never see someone in Local let alone raid the area. There are also some deeds that get raided often, its your choice if you want to be a warrior or not.

Continuing on this line of thinking I would like to point out that in real life we need more then just fighters, we need builders, farmers, breeders, crafters ect. In fact in wild we need them even MORE. If you want to do nothing but build non stop we'll say we love you and never ask you to hold a weapon! Because there are a THOUSAND things to be done at all times, by each player. Most of us are so busy fighting or what not its hard to build walls, breed, mine, craft ect. We NEED non combatants, and you'll get to see the fruits of your labor in full swing as you see your carefully planned defenses dash a raid.

If your a carebear then well nothing I can say, you like to build stuff and you don't want anyone to touch it.

If your in a town during a raid you can simply put your stuff in your inventory and log off before they breach to many defences. Completly safe.

Also this is my favorite reason for coming, things matter a bit more. In freedom I honestly wonder why people take the time to make stone walls or wood fences for that matter of any quality. Griefing is bannable, who cares if people can get in? In Wild walls are a way of life, you dont have a good chunk of them then your not gonna live.

I dont know really though why I made this, I just love Wild and wanna share it cause I mean its so cool seeing something you made, created or helped make foil the plans of someone who would love to mess with you.

So any thoughts?

you like to build stuff and you don't want anyone to touch it.

[me=Tich]raises hand[/me]

[me=Tich]raises hand[/me]

Agree

From experience, i also hate all the drama, trash talking, and the buying yourself victories aspect.

Also, transitioning from wild to freedom, i really enjoy the fact that i can actually NOT spend 3/4 of my time making dirtwalls for village, and i can spend 3/4 of the time making my deed look nice.

I could only pick one, but I'd have voted for 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6.

PvP doesn't appeal to me at all because of the high artificiallity of the 'conflict', the loss of items one has spent hours upon hours creating, the very childish e-peen aspect of the meta-game and the wanton senseless destruction of things I build up. Not to mention the 'dynamics' of fighting. You grinded this longer than I did, so you win. How exciting!

PvP in Wurm might have a role, one day, but so far I regard it as something artificially destructive that simply doesn't really belong in a game that is about building.

I stay on Freedom so I'm obviously not a hardcore pvp. I don't like the total open pvp because it more or less demands you to be very hard core or in a big group. PvP work best if everyone as basis have equal chances.

The biggest problem with most pvp in mmo is that the risk vs. reward is not balanced. It always end with some hardcore people goes for the noobs to get an easy kill for an easy reward instead of fight equal strength enemies.

For me to be attracted to Wild pvp should be more of an option. There should be areas where risk is minimal to get attacked and if I want pvp I have to go to borders or enemy territory. Humans will always be much more a challenge then fight a computer controlled enemy that is the kind of challenge I do not mind.

Another reason is you very directly risk to lose money by having enemy drain your token. I dont mind lose some gear I spend hours create but that game directly influence how much game cost me to play, that I dislike.

On Freedom I stay in a village with only me and a friend I do not see that possible on Wild. I do not like to stay in larger communities where I have very little influence how and what I can do.

Maybe I'm just a carebear but thats my reasons to stay on Freedom.

Wurm PVP isn't really interesting and not worth all the bad* sides of emergent gameplay to expirience it.

Wurm is a good crafting and world building game and that's why i play it, if i want good pvp (or monster-killing focused pve) i'll go play something that's good at it.

* = being forced to play in a big group and/or having your crap raided and stolen while you are at work.

PvP, simply doesnt appeal to me. Certainly not with the combat system here.

Wurm has and always will be a crafting-landshaping-mining game for me, with the daily spider/troll/scorp hunting trips.

I always spend more time in the sandbox mode of other games then actually doing campaigns or stuff. I'm happier creating castles/villages in the TES construction set, then actually going around doing oblivion quests, its as simple as that, I like to create more then I like to destroy.

Personally I play on Freedom because of how rubbishy the PvP system is right now, stretching from my moderate dislike of the combat system itself to the years of windows of opportunity and grinding that has put a huge gap in between the old and new. The lack of reasons to fight (and therefore a lack of variation in battles) is also a problem - and one that I hope will be solved by Epic, something I am very keen to try out.

Hi,

Wurm PVP isn't really interesting and not worth all the bad* sides of emergent gameplay to expirience it.

Wurm is a good crafting and world building game and that's why i play it, if i want good pvp (or monster-killing focused pve) i'll go play something that's good at it.

Mostly I'm not interested simply because teh combat system itself is worse even than that of pacman...

I don't play on Wild because I dislike the PvP system and the boring combat system. If I'm looking for a PvP game then there's a whole load out there better than Wurm.

So I just stick to Wurm for what it is good at, the PvE side and terraforming/crafting related stuff.

I had originally intended to train up on Freedom and then go to Wild, but ended up forming a community on Freedom that I don't want to leave behind now.

So basically the 'You'll just get ganked as a spy if you're new' advice ended up getting me entrenched on Freedom.

Im sorry if I dont fit into the group of people you want to question, as im already on the wild server, but I can only agree with the things you said in the first post.

Wild is not like many people believe, the rule of "70 Fighting skill or you die" is really only a myth, if you dont actively seek PvP you probably wont have to fight and/or see an enemy in months. Also the purpose of helping a bigger cause, ie. a kingdom or a village seems just a bit more appealing to me than having absolutely no risk or challenge.

Last but not least the combat against creatures and the combat against persons is different, you wont just stand in front of an enemy and watch the event window until someone dies. Its actually not as boring as one would believe, so I would advise to just try it, if you are interesting in fighting that is.

I have played on Wild and find that, like everyone else, if you haven't grinded endless hours to raise your fight skill your toast.

I lived on Wild for about a year and here's my 2 cents.

I do not and have never enjoyed pvp. I am a carebear at heart and to be honest, killing someone in game and taking their stuff just seems wrong to me. Especially given the fact that I know how long it must have taken that person to get the "quality" equipment they have. I would also find it very hard to "kill" someone I knew who is Jen Kellon if I happened to be MR or vice a versa.

Now you stated that Wild needs builders/crafters etc. and this I have found to be very true. However what I found to be GREATLY lacking is support for said builders/crafters. You may want us to build for you but how many of you are willing to actually go out to protect your builder while they gather resources? Some people will say "Oh in our village the warriors gather all the resources needed for the builders." This may be helpful to some but if you have 80 woodcutting how many of you want wood gathered by someone with 20 skill?

When I'm out gathering resources it's really annoying to constantly have to send pm's to unfamiliar names that may enter my local.

Aside from the combat system being totally fubared, the other reason IMHO that some won't go to wild is the lack of trust. If you don't know someone who can speak for you it's very hard to get into and be accepted by some, if not most, of the villages there.

I'm not interested in PvP, there's enough strife in my world that I don't play a game to create more.

I belonged to a tight-knit village on JKH that moved to Wild when Freedom stood up.  I moved to Freedom to solo again.  Wild villages reminded me too much of raid guilds in other games - there seems to be inherent obligations to participate in PvP raids or defenses as many hours are required, to master some craft to support the war effort, to spend hours preparing for war...

I like playing a game that I can leave at any moment to deal with rl relationships, without leaving in-game allies in a lurch.  I'm not at all interested in being in a position where I put a rl family member on hold for a few hours to deal with something in a game.

I'd like to really, and will be heading there incognito again soon.

Reason it does not appeal to me very much include:

• [o]A weak offering of combat mechanics
    [o]A contrived war where changes in the balance of power have more to do with who is spending more euros
    [o]A mountain of legacy issues, over powered items, and "windows of opportunity" as so many put it
    [o]The incredibly antagonistic attitude of so many of its players
    [o]The low level of acceptable social norms of that community

Simple enough to say that what draws me to Wurm (it's real strengths as a game offering if you will) center around the depth of the crafting system, terra-forming, the variety of things to do in the world (sailing, riding, mining, building etc). It actually kind of saddens me that so much effort is put into enhancing the weak part of the offering when the strong part, if polished up and expanded on, would own its market.

I like PvP in games where it plays well and I want to like Wurm PvP, but its just so.....not there yet. It's the part of Wurm that is truly "beta" level of quality. And it is really hard to change your opinion about it when it takes less time to get an associates degree.

I'd like to really, and will be heading there incognito again soon.

Reason it does not appeal to me very much include:

• [o]A weak offering of combat mechanics
    [o]A contrived war where changes in the balance of power have more to do with who is spending more euros
    [o]A mountain of legacy issues, over powered items, and "windows of opportunity" as so many put it
    [o]The incredibly antagonistic attitude of so many of its players
    [o]The low level of acceptable social norms of that community

Simple enough to say that what draws me to Wurm (it's real strengths as a game offering if you will) center around the depth of the crafting system, terra-forming, the variety of things to do in the world (sailing, riding, mining, building etc). It actually kind of saddens me that so much effort is put into enhancing the weak part of the offering when the strong part, if polished up and expanded on, would own its market.

I like PvP in games where it plays well and I want to like Wurm PvP, but its just so.....not there yet. It's the part of Wurm that is truly "beta" level of quality. And it is really hard to change your opinion about it when it takes less time to get an associates degree.

I think you answered your own question there. Simply put, Wurm is one helluvva lot better terraforming/construction & crafting simulator than it is a combat simulator. The amount of liberties you can take in your designs when you don't have to care in the slightest about security is amazing. Like you said, Freedom is freedom of obtrusive walls.

If I want to build a solitary deed in the forest I can do so without walls, without spending money on extra templars, without being reliant on other people with better FS than me and without being forced to live behind the dirt defenses of a powerhouse village if I want complete security without being forced into obscurity.

The security is not about just construction. When I don't have to fear a raiding party I don't have to worry about securing my items, and highly valuable items are certainly not a burden when I can leave them scattered around the deed as I please instead of locking them away in an alt's inventory. I can also live without the fear that somewhere out there is a number of players who gets off to ruining someone's gameplay and can't wait to take every measure to turn my day sour.

It's not PvP in general that is off-putting - It's WURM's PvP situation.

I will point out that I started reading more indepth on the forums about Wild and I now understand that I could've gone there right away and would have been fine, but at the time I was choosing between Freedom and Wild all I was hearing was 'you'll constantly be ganked by your own kingdom when you're not being killed by the other kingdoms'.

Wild has a reputation issue.

I think Wurm is a great sandbox crafting game bit PvP gives it purpose. But the blad implementation of the PvP system that has some broken mechanics i don't even need to experience to know its wrong are puting me off.

I have only 2 months of experience of wild and in that time i played cassualy and i don't consider even getting close to be able to PvP. If i want to play on wild I do not want to power-grind 6 months to be able to count in a melee.

Bad mechanics like the necesity of ugly dirtwalls or ugly island fortresses for defense, gatehopping, calfshots, lighting-fast horses, boring PvP system, bugs and instability, no divrsity in equipment (maul+chain), people hunting 10fs noobs to gain rank, and finally the large gap between new and experienced players puts me off.

I gathered most of my info from the recent discussions on the forums but i also have a vague idea of how things are on Wild, this situation is very sad and rolf seems uncapable in ever dealing with this situation.

So yeah vother other

Too busy watering my sunflowers and singing chirpy songs about happy things all day to venture onto the big bad scary Wild server.

It's very dissapointing to see the amount of people put off from joining wild simply due to misinformation. I've never seen any new player have trouble joining a village due to worries of him being a spy, never mind being ganked because of it.

The reason my toon is'nt on Wild currently is because I'm skilling him up on freedom so that he'll be in some sort of position to compete.

I'd go wild tomorrow if they removed deed draining.

Deed draining = 100% bs. It's nothing more than stealing. You purchase coins irl (lets be real here, not many people make a large enough income to prove this wrong) put it in a deed, and someone else can come rob it? I see it as legally robbing someone. Plus it's overkill.

I'd go wild tomorrow if they removed deed draining.

Deed draining = 100% bs. It's nothing more than stealing. You purchase coins irl (lets be real here, not many people make a large enough income to prove this wrong) put it in a deed, and someone else can come rob it? I see it as legally robbing someone. Plus it's overkill.